• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
So when I was in fifth grade, my brother and I once called some other kids snitches for tattling over something. So these kids told the teacher and in response, the two of us were sent to the principal's office. While there, I noticed another kid, who was white, was there for hitting another kid. Here, the principal just lightly talked to them and told them that it was bad to hit and let them go for recess. My brother and I, who are black, on the other hand, were pulled into the vice principals office who made us stay in for recess for the next day and even called our parents over this. Back then, I didn't think much of it but as I grew older and read how black students are punished more harshly, it's got me wondering, could racism have played a role in this as I feel like its too much to do this to two kids who just called people snitches

Oct 31, 2017
Schools disproportionately punishing black children is a common problem, yes, you experienced that according to this story.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
White kid was straight up violent and got nothing while yall called other kids snitches and were punished pretty hard

Sounds like classic racism to me

Oct 25, 2017
I'd probably go with yes but with a small caveat that you did seem to deal with 2 different people
Without knowing what the school policy is it's a bit tougher to say
Like if you had gone to the principal's office like the other boy had would it have been different? I have no idea.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Was it the same person? You said the principal talked to the white kid and the vice principle talked to you and your brother.

But the answer is most likely yes, regardless if they were the same person or not.

Oct 25, 2017
If this played out today, I'd say the white kids experienced white privilege more than you were a victim of racism. Back then, it was probably more racism.

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I'd probably go with yes but with a small caveat that you did seem to deal with 2 different people
Without knowing what the school policy is it's a bit tougher to say
Like if you had gone to the principal's office like the other boy had would it have been different? I have no idea.
I mean, is sending kids to office for calling people snitches really appropiate?

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I just think some principals are horrible.

I once "stole" a container from a kids pencil sharpener (it was below the desk on the floor) and had to sit in the office for the entire day. Would of had to sit there the next day too.

I'm not black.

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
Yep. That sounds like racism.

That said I was a white kid who had the principal threaten to call the cops who have "big guns" because I called a kid a fucking asshole in second grade.

We're you a kid that constantly got in trouble?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Was the Vice Principal black?

Also yes, totally racist. Reminds me of the time the school police officer dragged me into her office to accuse me of some shit I never did and then stupidly told me it occurred during 1st Period English. Of course, I didn't have English 1st Period which I told the dollard suet to no avail. She then let me go when I didn't confess. Naturally, they found the other black student who did whatever it was but my mother was PISSED and called the Principal, a cool ass dude, who apologized. I remember him waiting for me the next day as I got off the bus to apologize to me and see if I was okay.

The shitstain officer never apologized for shit. I'll never forget that for the rest of my life.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely. Black kids receive harsher punishment.

I had a classmate call me a nigger and my teacher didn't even send him to the principal. She just told him to stop LOL. Going to the principal for calling someone a snitch?

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I think you'd need to know more about the other kid. Like did he just randomly attack someone, did he lash out after being called names, did they beat the shit out of them or just a light tap on the arm and was it normal for that kid to hit people or were they generally a good kid who had a moment of aggression etc.

Don't really know anything about them. If it was out of character for the kid then sure I'd kinda expect light treatment. I do think you and your brother got pretty harsh treatment though but then again I know fucking nothing about it other than some kids being tattle tales. To be sure you would have had to gone to the principal for the same problem I guess and seen what the different punishments were then.

I remember going to see the principal for calling someone a grass. Was considered bullying and I had an *eye* on me apparently but I was a poor kid in a suburban school and we were seen as scum.

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Was the Vice Principal black?

Also yes, totally racist. Reminds me of the time the school police officer dragged me into her office to accuse me of some shit I never did and then stupidly told me it occurred during 1st Period English. Of course, I didn't have English 1st Period which I told the dollard suet to no avail. She then let me go when I didn't confess. Naturally, they found the other black student who did whatever it was but my mother was PISSED and called the Principal, a cool ass dude, who apologized. I remember him waiting for me the next day as I got off the bus to apologize to me and see if I was okay.

The shitstain officer never apologized for shit. I'll never forget that for the rest of my life.
Nope, white