• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What did you think about Series X surprise reveal?

• It was very hype and smart on Microsoft's part

Votes: 728 35.7%
  • It was alright I guess? Not sure if I care about how it is revealed

Votes: 744 36.5%
  • It was pretty anti-climatic, felt like just another ad from TGAa

Votes: 569 27.9%

• Total voters

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Some people are thinking it was a mistake to reveal the console so randomly like that. Like, people kind of forgot about it by the end of TGA. It felt mundane. Usually the companies would want all the attention for them during all the time when revealing a new console, that is why we had an event dedicated to it back in April 2013 for the Xbox One reveal.

Now this one was out of nowhere, sharing its spotlight with other stuff and followed by stuff like Fast and Furious The Game...

Do you guys felt it was anticlimatic or is it ok?

Personally I was surprised by it so I think it was great, but I do feel it was a little bit inconsequential since there was no prior hype and people gathering around to talk about it.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
It's a mix of all three answers: it was hype because it was totally unexpected, but at the same time it felt like a regular ad, plus the lack of buildup made the surprise factor less that what could have been? Dunno if that makes sense.

It would have been much better if they had made it the last announcement.

Feb 10, 2018
It was a brilliant move, caught me off guard which resulted in much more hype.
They have come out and made a statement without revealing to much, now its on Sony to reveal more.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah there was no meeting hype like last gen. This gen consoles where just announced randomly

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It was weird imo. Just like that PS5 game.

They should save it all to their own events.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
It doesnt matter, there will be the usual hype explosion whenever they hold their presser announcing a date/price/etc

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I'd argue that, if their goal is to give you a new Xbox that also plays all your old Xbox games, then not treating it as a huge, splashy thing in its own right is a smart move. The platform is what they're really selling.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
No. They revealed it on one of the biggest game events of the year. Youre not going to get much more exposure than that.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I mean...you saw the box and had a name...media outlets are talking Xbox: Series X moreso than anything else at the VGA.

Tomacco

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the announcement was just a stepping stone to show off Hellblade II, which absolutely stole the show for me.

Hopefully they continue to play down the hardware other than as a method of showing off games. Given how the Xbox one reveal went, sticking to games seems like the smart move

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Nope. Trickle in information, let me know little by little. Then, blow your load.

I much prefer this way of giving information on the new systems.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Btw it was hilarious that we had 2 new gen "reveals" and the closure was Fast and Furious: Crossroads

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely yes. It was buried in a series of announcements, it made no sense to announce it here (right before Christmas, what Microsoft was thinking), and it should have been in its own event. Console announcements are special, they are exciting and get people to dream and get excited. We had none of that yesterday. It doesn't feel like a lot of hype is happening right now too.

Watch Sony capitalize on this and announce an event 3 weeks in advance and build hype just like they did with the PS4. Much more people will talk about it, articles and speculation will come out every single day until the event, everybody will talk about PS5.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
No, the console isn't out for a year. If anything they're just starting the hype train early.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
It's not like they said much about it, so they can still do a separate event later. This just got them a lot of attention at an event with a lot of viewers.

Spades

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, this literally starts the hype. I don't get why you wouldn't think that?

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it was weird. By the end of the show everyone was talking about goty and Sekiro and fighting over it instead of talking about a next gen console. They should have had a separate conference dedicated solely to Series X. I doubt it'd have a major effect when the console released tho.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
As what is their actual console reveal, it was shared by a dozen other big announcements. I think it would have been better done as its own thing. An awards ceremony is a strange place to do it but to say it was a mistake, I don't know about that just yet.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
None of the poll options reflect what I think, to be honest.

I think it was a good decision to keep the focus at E3 on the games, if that's what they intend to do. No need to hype up a device - especially when they've been more hardware agnostic.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
These consoles are such monsters at this point that they don't need hype-cycles anymore, imo.

Once they come out and are the things that you play the games on, people will buy them.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
It was a move I agree with business aside. Consoles are platforms, the big hype stuff should be the games. So I agree with their approach here. Also it's really annoying to see teasing and buildup for months, looking back on the PS4 and XB1 buildup it was clear Sony and MS were trying to play on people's hype. Just give me the details on specs and pricing so I can compare them, wait to see what games I'm interested in, and make an informed purchasing decision.

Oct 27, 2017
Free press and exposure to create talking points = genius after the wired article done by Sony was an occurring theme on here.....

This was the next level. Got it out of the way, everyone will be talking about it, and the next showing can be the games.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Didn't Sony kind of reveal the PS5 through a Wired feature or something like that?

I don't know much about marketing so I can't explain it, but it seems like these low-key reveals we're having lately are on purpose.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Didn't Sony kind of reveal the PS5 through a Wired feature or something like that?

I don't know much about marketing so I can't explain it, but it seems like these low-key reveals we're having lately are on purpose.

They confirmed there's a PS5 (lol), but didn't show anything yet.

Consequence

Oct 27, 2017
I think the timing on a grander scale is fine but I would have set it as the final segment of the show.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
Yes that was another stupid misstep from their marketing division no build up hype at all no buzz generated and actually the thing just got lost on the white noise...i like the design i like how bold it looks and all the moment they revealed the thing was jaw dropping but this announcement was totally misplaced.

TimPV3

Oct 30, 2017
If anything, I think the name and design hampered the excitement no matter how/when it was announced.

Bovandy

Aug 15, 2019
Ya'll are cray. It was perfect. No one had any idea it was coming. I loved that I had no idea what the ad was for at first. It was a roller coaster of "oh man, it's a freaking racing game? Oh wait NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
It was hype for me because it was completely unexpected. Also, the power rumors appear to be true and now they can spend more time on games at E3 2020 instead of trying to set up a reveal.

The console's power is the main thing I took away from this. Name and form factor be damned...that power is where it's at for me. That is the true hype.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy for Geoff Keighley.

Not a mistake for Microsoft. With 0 expectations there was no chance of people being disappointed by the name or the form factor.

Deleted member 35653

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Yes, I wanted an event with the usual roundup of next gen games, this comes from someone who gets confused when they start talking about TFLOPS etc. For me it's always been and always will be about games, hardware being just the tool who runs them.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I think it was a cool, unexpected tease that will have its usual hype-AF reveal later next year. Nothing wrong with this approach I don't think.

If this was the ONLY time they'd have to reveal it, then yeah, it would be a problem.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I think it was a smart move. They get to be the first next gen console in the discussion.

Oct 24, 2019
It was a catastrophic mistake. I literally had no hype, and immediately forgot it was even announced because I refocused on new game announcements