• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What did you think about Series X surprise reveal?

• It was very hype and smart on Microsoft's part

Votes: 728 35.7%
  • It was alright I guess? Not sure if I care about how it is revealed

Votes: 744 36.5%
  • It was pretty anti-climatic, felt like just another ad from TGAa

Votes: 569 27.9%

• Total voters

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Nah compared to the switch reveal, it's kinda wack imo. People were mad curious about the switch, the Xbox is like okay new box next year

I think their own event or something a bit more than they showed would've created more buzz.

Edit: nevermind apparently I live under a rock and didn't know it was that big, still preferred switch reveal

Oct 28, 2017
It was good, it's going to be talked about a lot this weekend and during holiday parties and what not next week. It's certainly generated a lot of buzz.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't call it smart to first showcase their next console at an event that's live when one of the biggest markets that MS has historically struggled in is asleep.

Reminds me of their XBOne reveal where it was all about how you can just switch between watching NFL and playing games. Nobody besides US Americans really cares about NFL.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I also think they showed this off too early, I like to see things that are upcoming and get it a few months from now, not an entire year. They could've held off till spring/summer of next year, honestly. Could drip feed information till release to maintain the hype

Another recent product is the Microsoft wireless earphones. I wanted that to drop a month after they were shown

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
It's a year out from release, now is not really the time to build hype in a way that is maintanable until launch, that's much better served for E3 which they've very clearly said is their goal as that's when they're going all out with details and game reveals. This is just a continuation of the discussions that have been going on so far to make people aware a proper new generation is coming. Even the name and look reveal aren't all indicative of the final product as there's still a lot more to it. So sure it wasn't great, but nothing was bad about the showcase itself and I don't think it'll matter come E3

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
I was very confused by it, and I don't know how to feel about it yet. I do think it was the biggest story in TGA, and it should have been the closer. Always end up with a banger. Maybe the messaging would have landed differently, and not confuse me like it did originally (I just thought it was an Xbox One X redesign).

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
But no, I don't think it will affect the hype. The only thing that affects the hype are games (positively), or overbearing features (negatively).

New002

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who didn't watch TGA, the Xbox X reveal was one of the only reveals that I cared about. I think it was a good move.

Ditto. Personally had 0 interest in the awards show, didn't watch it, but still was like whoa when I heard about the Xbox announcement and have been thinking about it/discussing it with peeps.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I like big surprises with no previous leaks. Hellblade also was perfect to showcase the new console. The trailer screamed awesome next-gen tech, it was explicitly NOT one of the usual suspects Halo-Gears-Forza. I didn't like that the audience reaction was not really transported well through the stream, as I saw some live reaction videos. I didn't like that the cut to Geoff was pretty abrupt. The reveal should have ended the show, IMO.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I like big surprises with no previous leaks. Hellblade also was perfect to showcase the new console. The trailer screamed awesome next-gen tech, it was explicitly NOT one of the usual suspects Halo-Gears-Forza. I didn't like that the audience reaction was not really transported well through the stream, as I saw some live reaction videos. I didn't like that the cut to Geoff was pretty abrupt. The reveal should have ended the show, IMO.

The issue with ending the show is that you lose a lot of viewers. They chose the perfect time to reveal since that was probably when most eyes were on the show. By the time the show is coming to a close, people tune out, I know I did.

PapaJustify

Nov 3, 2017
Germany
It was a smart and necessary move. Sony went ahead by revealing their next gen plans a few months ago and so far the conversation went: "PlayStation 5 and whatever Xbox does..." Now it's fair game again and the actual hype cycle can begin with Xbox having the momentum on their side.