• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No,

I think Mass Effect would have been shelved either way and no DLC was planned. Just get the game out and move on to Anthem.

Bioware's most successful game was inquisition yet the next game has minimal people working on it as they are all working on Anthem.

I also think people were overly critical of the game after the ending of ME3. Is it an amazing game? No it's a good game with a few design flaws but I was happy with it.

There were a bunch of side-story cliffhangers that were pretty clearly meant to be resolved in DLC so I find it hard to believe none was planned

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
There were a bunch of side-story cliffhangers that were pretty clearly meant to be resolved in DLC so I find it hard to believe none was planned
The only real cliff hanger that would really suggest DLC (and even then given the amount of species they would have had to model, it seemed a bit ambitious) was the Quarian Ark, the other cliffhangers seemed so big that I thought they were more meant for another game
who was really behind the Initiative (my money's on SAM) or the Remnant Tech
. I mean BioWare do love their cliffhangers for the next game, waiting for DA4 after Trespasser is driving me slowly crazy.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tempted to say Chrono Cross so I'll just leave that there
CC wasnt bad though, thats more rabid fanboys than anything else, hell the game was received well by journalists back in the day.
ME:A was bad enough that i wanted to like it but the game still crashed even with the most up to date patches on the ps4... and i never left that station(the one after tutorial level) and i just never felt like the story was worth exploring.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This has to be MGS: V because, you know..

Do you mean in terms of how it ruined the franchise or because of the fallout with Kojima afterwards?

Because if the former, haters be damned I think MGSV is a truly excellent game and was amazing in spite of its glaring shortcomings. If the latter, even then, it doesn't look like Konami will stop making Metal Gear games, whereas I think Mass Effect is truly dead aside from some sort of remaster down the line.

Kost2coast

Oct 27, 2017
I actually enjoyed Andromeda, the planet explorations, the battle system, everything. And it looked pretty damn good running on my RX-480. The game felt quite complete to me as a start of a new chapter for the series. Then again, I love me some space operas.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
CC wasnt bad though, thats more rabid fanboys than anything else, hell the game was received well by journalists back in the day.
ME:A was bad enough that i wanted to like it but the game still crashed even with the most up to date patches on the ps4... and i never left that station(the one after tutorial level) and i just never felt like the story was worth exploring.
I'm surprised you're getting such terrible crashing even with patches, are you still using the original save file or are you starting fresh? (just wondering in case your save file is corrupted or something). I'll be honest, I thought the last half of Andromeda was so much better than the first bit, it was like they saved all the good stuff on their end. If you try gain, stick to the priority missions. Hope you can get it sorted, as it really shouldn't be doing that at all.

Spazgadget

Oct 25, 2017
That would be Dead Space 3

Took an extremely promising series, that contained two brilliant games and a fantastic spin-off, and killed it stone-dead. We're probably never gonna see it return.

I'd have to agree. At the very least, this is the one that hurt for me the most. While I had pretty much felt sated with Mass Effect by the time Andromeda came out, I felt like Dead Space was a franchise on the rise, and then EA shoved it full of crap it didn't need and killed it.

That one still hurts.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
I´m somewhat careful when reading or participating in these "best/worst X ever" discussions, but IMHO the contrast between the peaks of Mass Effect 1 & 2 and the failures of Andromeda is so gargantuan that there isn´t anything else really comparable in videogames history. At least the last part of Mass Effect 3 alleviated the shock; it was so disruptive that it ended up preparing us for what was to come.

An incredibly bad ending (ME 3) and a narratively / technically half baked game (ME: A) destroyed the saga which told one of the (if not the) most powerful stories in this medium.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I think Mass Effect would have been shelved either way and no DLC was planned. Just get the game out and move on to Anthemit.

Negatory. Besides the Quarian Ark DLC being clearly planned, Jason Schreier mentioned in his articles how the team was already set to work in the sequel. They didn't expect the critical acclaim of the original trilogy, but they didn't expect the hugely negative reaction it had. It literally became an internet joke even before release.

Not to mention the many interviews you can pick from before the release that have developers talking about how Andromeda is a new start to the franchise and so on.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised you're getting such terrible crashing even with patches, are you still using the original save file or are you starting fresh? (just wondering in case your save file is corrupted or something). I'll be honest, I thought the last half of Andromeda was so much better than the first bit, it was like they saved all the good stuff on their end. If you try gain, stick to the priority missions. Hope you can get it sorted, as it really shouldn't be doing that at all.
I started fresh around august last year. The game crashed some times in battle on the tutorial planet and then when i had enough again when you leave the station. 4 crashes by that point in the game just made me sour to the experience. and it didnt help that the story didnt pull me in at all. and yeah i did do the uninstall/reinstall to check if it was a installation issue back then.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
ME3 retrospectively ruined the series. It managed to make the previous games worse and taint your experience of ME1 and 2.

After that, the damage was done.

Last edited:

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
Its up there in the franchise killing entries with deus ex 2, duke nukem forever and perfect dark 360.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I'll agree with that but add Dead Space 3 as one that immediately gutted one of my favorite franchises of that gen.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
ME3 retrospectively ruined the series. It managed to make the previous games worse and taint your experience of ME1 and 2.

That was the game that ruined the series.

Unfortunately, I believe that's the truth for more people than just you. However, from an practical point of view, ME3 can't be called a failure. It sold well, it had many DLCs and so on. And indeed, the fact that Andromeda happened is proof of Mass Effect integrity even after whatever damage ME3 made.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect Andromeda probably resulted in "We're going to put ME on ice, but still have Bioware work for us"

MvCI probably resulted in "Capcom will never be allowed to make another Marvel game as long as we remember this happened"

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I started fresh around august last year. The game crashed some times in battle on the tutorial planet and then when i had enough again when you leave the station. 4 crashes by that point in the game just made me sour to the experience. and it didnt help that the story didnt pull me in at all.
Even being at it's buggiest, that was not normal for MEA - are all your other games on your PS4 playing okay? Maybe try to reinstall MEA on your PS4? Maybe somethings corrupted on the actual install of the game itself. Hope you can get the issue sorted, maybe contact EA support? I can see after all that drama it would put you off the game, hope you can get it sorted just so you can play the game you bought. I mean if you only got to the Nexus, you didn't even get past the part you would've got in the demo that was available before launch.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Tbh I think the first reboot killed MoH. It needed to be something special to take a dormant franchise like that and make it relevant again, and they failed miserably by releasing a generic military shooter.
That's a fair way to look at it, sure. It's sometimes hard to say the last game in a franchise is the one that killed it, since poor sales MAY be more influenced by a poor game released prior to it. In MoH's case though, I think Warfighter was the nail in the coffin. MoH reboot got attention and reviewed poorly, but not abysmally so - mid 70's. Warfighter was anticipated as a 'fix the problems' release and...well, it didn't. Reviewing mid to high 50's did that franchise in.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even being at it's buggiest, that was not normal for MEA - are all your other games on your PS4 playing okay? Maybe try to reinstall MEA on your PS4? Maybe somethings corrupted on the actual install of the game itself. Hope you can get the issue sorted, maybe contact EA support? I can see after all that drama it would put you off the game, hope you can get it sorted just so you can play the game you bought. I mean if you only got to the Nexus, you didn't even get past the part you would've got in the demo that was available before launch.
my other games on my ps4 pro work fine, but i no longer have the game, traded it back to gamestop since i didnt really use cash for it (this was right after that huge buy 2 games get 1 free and trade in 6 games for 60% bonus tiv.... i made $1400+ from that event) so i really didnt lose anything. Maybe once i'm done replaying the me trilogy (got the urge recently and i'm on me2 atm) i might get it on pc (since i'm sure i can find it on the cheap) because i'm sure it isnt supposed to be that buggy, but man the story better pick up after leaving the nexus. (female turian seemed alright but man did the other team mates seem boring... like vega tier boring)

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Battlefront 2 may of harmed its reputation, but it still sold tons and there will be a third. So hardly think it counts.

MvC I probably means that franchise is buried forever

EDIT: Oh and Sim city. Will probbly come back as a mobile game with lootboxes

quotethis

Banned
Jan 21, 2018
Fallout 4 wasn't much different IMHO. I know there is some bias there because I love Fallout, but Fallout 4 isn't a very good Fallout game and even worse RPG.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Command and conquer 4 ruined the series and it is even the big "conclusion" of a story that began a long time ago.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Perfect Dark Zero killed that franchise pretty hard.
Other M at least put Metroid on ice for several years and everyone still is holding their breath that Prime 4 can bring the goods.

But my money is on EA for taking great games from great developers, missing the point entirely, and driving them straight into the ground.

Dead Space 3, Mass Effect Andromeda, Sim City, Mirror's Edge Catalyst, Dungeon Keeper... I don't know how they just keep doing it...

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Tbh the issues were extremely overblown. The game was solid.

I blame (hardcore) gamers being so eager to hate games and developers for some reason.

ME:A isn't the only decent game to fail due to exaggerated criticism spreading like wildfire.
I think sometimes with popular series it takes another game release for the reception to the previous one to sink in. ME3 sold and reviewed well, but fans weren't really going to give ME:A the benefit of the doubt afterwards.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
my other games on my ps4 pro work fine, but i no longer have the game, traded it back to gamestop since i didnt really use cash for it (this was right after that huge buy 2 games get 1 free and trade in 6 games for 60% bonus tiv.... i made $1400+ from that event) so i really didnt lose anything. Maybe once i'm done replaying the me trilogy (got the urge recently and i'm on me2 atm) i might get it on pc (since i'm sure i can find it on the cheap) because i'm sure it isnt supposed to be that buggy, but man the story better pick up after leaving the nexus. (female turian seemed alright but man did the other team mates seem boring... like vega tier boring)
Yeah, the humans were boring but I like Vetra (the Turian) and Drack was awesome (old Krogan , you won't have got to meet him yet) and Jaal was pretty cool too (another you ain't got to meet yet). If you do try again, mostly try to do the main missions, your companions missions, the missing arc missions, and the Ryder family mission (which is basically a collectevon around the world but it does reveal important story details so don't skip!) That's a pretty solid experience and one I pretty enjoyed. Is it the best BioWare game I've played? No but it is a good game, and one you can have fun with, and they have enough good plot threads that i would be really interested to see what they could do with in a sequel.

Lace

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to have to disagree with this. While Sonic 06 is absolutely a terrible game it hasn't stopped the Sonic franchise from pumping out games. Sonic releases has been consistently buggy/terrible ever since the Genesis days, it's basically expected for them to severely underwhelm but they continue to sell unabated by prior game releases.

Pilot Wings, Animal Crossing the other shitty 3DS one(not tha good one), Star Fox was pretty close on WiiU. Not 100% sure

I believe only one Animal Crossing released for the 3DS (New Leaf and it is great). I think you're referring to the mediocre DS version.

Cabal

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Kind of surprised Sim City didn't come up. Though it's hard to tell which is worse. Battlefront 2, Sim City, and Andromeda all were pretty bad. But I ended up getting an apology game out of Sim City so I immediately thought of that one.

Jan 10, 2018
220px-007Legends.jpg

Panned, bombed, killed the developer and the franchise(gaming only of course) starring a white man shooting foreigners + cars + beautiful women for 6 years and counting.

That is an achievement.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think people underestimate the damage Bioware did with ME3. Taking out important story content and selling it as DLC. The false and deliberately ending marketing and PR qstatements leading up to release and arrogant studio heads trying to write it off as artistic.

Andromeda was simply the final straw for alot of fans.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not as bad as some other instances mentioned but didn't Yakuza Dead Souls almost kill the series in the West?