• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I really don't think ME:A is that bad, Crowbcat & the current gamer culture of shitting on everything really did a number on it.
Even the facial animations were not that bad, Horizon Zero Dawn had some bad facial animations too & came out the same time.

Paine

Jan 6, 2018
Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness. Obviously it came back and is more successful now, but it's completely different from what it originally was.

Raina

Oct 25, 2017
No. Mother 3's 12-year development hell made Itoi swear off making games for good and therefore the Mother series died instantly.

If the game had released on SNES/N64 like originally intended there would probably be way more Mother games and it might have taken off like Fire Emblem. Who knows?

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Just ahead of Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, yeah. But apparently it still sold decently.

Andromeda and Infinite prove how appearances mean a lot when it comes to games.

At the very least at least EA and Bioware did try to address some of the complaints with the game's visuals after the game released, Marvel/Capcom did essentially nothing after the game got released nor did they even talk about a plan on addressing the issues players had with its presentation.

Deleted member 11995

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
No. Not even close. The hate that Andromeda got was always ridiculously overblown. The Mass Effect series could easily 'come back' from it.

If I were a betting man, I'd put my house on a sequel with properly polished character animations and less busy-work quests being warmly received and very popular.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i think Andromeda is definitely one of them. not necessarily due to the quality of the title (it's not amazing, but it's not as horrific as people make it out to be) but it was in terms of how much was spent developing it, and how badly it tanked. like, a medium budget flop may put a series on hold for a long period of time, but you can built back from it. i'd imagine EA look at the losses associated with Andromeda and would find it hard to justify that series ever returning. the fact they flat out canned the planned DLC says it all. even flops like Wolfenstein New Colossus and Dishonored 2 (and soon to be Prey) still managed to get DLC.

my vote goes to strangers wrath though. practically killed the oddworld brand. poor marketing by EA. resulting in poor sales. a complete departure from the games that came previously which alienated the loyal fanbase and exclusive to xbox. killed the series for years. and even now, while it's still managing to cling onto it's relevancy, it's done so so far with remasters and remakes. there's still a bit of a "to be determined" feeling on whether that series is ever REALLY coming back.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
At the very least at least EA and Bioware did try to address some of the complaints with the game's visuals after the game released, Marvel/Capcom did essentially nothing after the game got released nor did they even talk about a plan on addressing the issues players had with its presentation.
Yeah, and it sounds like it's Marvel's fault. My personal pipe dream is that Marvel gives them a chance to rebrand, upgrade, and revive Infinite after the backlash has died down. Though that seems highly unlikely at best.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Devil May Cry 2 destroyed any chance I'd touch the series for yeeears.

Fallout Brotherhood of Steel is so godawful it's relegated to an appropriate nonexistence.

For me personally its ME 3. as evident by I couldnt give two shits about any other mass effect games after it.
Right? Andromeda was a drop in the bucket compared to this shite upon release.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
i think Andromeda is definitely one of them. not necessarily due to the quality of the title (it's not amazing, but it's not as horrific as people make it out to be) but it was in terms of how much was spent developing it, and how badly it tanked. like, a medium budget flop may put a series on hold for a long period of time, but you can built back from it. i'd imagine EA look at the losses associated with Andromeda and would find it hard to justify that series ever returning. the fact they flat out canned the planned DLC says it all. even flops like Wolfenstein New Colossus and Dishonored 2 (and soon to be Prey) still managed to get DLC.

Seems like a lot of assumptions in here. Do we know it flopped that badly? As far as I recall the sales were actually pretty decent. I think the lack of a follow-up is more a reflection on lack of confidence for Bioware Montreal to learn from the issues and iterate sufficiently on a sequel. With Edmonton being overwhelmed with Anthem (and to a far, far lesser extent DA4), Montreal was the only option for an Andromeda sequel.

In a world without Anthem I can totally see Bioware retooling with a back to basics ME game on the docket within 3 years of Andromeda's release. I seriously doubt they have written off the franchise.

Seanlole

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed with ME:A as a franchise killer, but you never know when the EA milking machine will revive it

Instead, Rare is a franchise killer since microsoft bought them

- a decent but poorly executed conker remake. No conker ever since

- a flawed perfect dark, no perfect dark ever since

- a bad banjo-kazooie, no b-k ever since

- lots of kinect games with no secuel or spin offs whatsoever, they killed the kinect.

The killed three great franchises and a periferal. So the streak goes for them in my opinion.

SJurgenson

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really don't think ME:A is that bad, Crowbcat & the current gamer culture of shitting on everything really did a number on it.
Even the facial animations were not that bad, Horizon Zero Dawn had some bad facial animations too & came out the same time.

... Comparing HZD and ME:A is quite a leap there. Having imperfect facial animation is nowhere near the same as the buggy garbage heap that was Andromeda.

For me personally its ME 3. as evident by I couldnt give two shits about any other mass effect games after it.

Yeah. I really did not understand why anybody was interested in Andromeda after Mass Effect 3. That was such an apocalyptic destruction of a generally beloved franchise. Remember when 'what color was your ending' was the worst thing to happen to Mass Effect?