• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
75795f8a5ac8dbf15c3cd9b42a80281902ea6008_hq.jpg

So as we know Mewtwo was designed sometime around 1995-1996 when Pokemon Green was being developed. As we know Dragonball Z finished its original broadcast run in Japan in 1995. Pokemon like all videogame or anime series were likely heavily influenced by Dragonball Z.

At the time both Mewtwo and Freeza debuted, they were considered "the most powerful beings" in their universe. Mewtwo started off as a villain or final boss in the games, Freeza is the main villain of Dragonball, and both were heavily promoted in similar white and purple color schemes.

And of course later on both Mewtwo and Freeza are then surpassed by other powerful legendary pokemon or characters in their series, whereas now Mewtwo and Freeza need new transformations (Mewtwo has two Mega forms, Freeza has Golden Freeza) to keep up.

db81bf37d3121659d2da3533877025aa217aaccc_hq.gif
tumblr_mu9lgwULFW1r84emlo3_500.gif

d796cc064917ff41dee31ce90d21e8a85fa6244f_hq.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

3458228_n_vir3.jpg

I think it's pretty obvious myself, most of the GameFreak designers likely grew up with Dragonball when they were kids or teens.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Curve ball: Giygas from Mother 1, which was released in 1989. [EDIT: Beaten like Giygas two games in a row.]
hqdefault.jpg

latest

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
Well, Sugimori was very clearly inspired by Toriyama in his early Pokémon days, so it is possible.

Coincidently enough, Mewtwo's mega forms resemble Kid Buu (Y) and Cell (X) as well.

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
Bipedal creatures with a tail that share vaguely similar color schemes? Bit of a reach to say one was inspired by the other when they share few other design similarities besides the most generic aspects.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Gamefreak just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about anime culture (I'm an expert), but creativity and originality are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being a plagiarizer. If you copy someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase either version of Pokemon, nor will they purchase any of Gamefreak's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Gamefreak has alienated an entire market with this move.

Gamefreak, publicly apologize and cancel Mewtwo for Pokemon or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Neptonic

Oct 25, 2017
Tucson, AZ
Freeza Arc was 1990 in the manga so yes, it's likely pokemon designers took influence from one of the most popular manga series at the time

twothunder

Feb 10, 2018
if anything. i thought giygas from Mother 1 was the inspiration for Mewtwo

later they might have added some dragon ball inspired stuff like Mewtwo 's kamehameha like attack animation from Pokemon stadium

and like the death ball from Pokken

Miles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA

I don't know how much the rest of you know about anime culture (I'm an expert), but creativity and originality are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being a plagiarizer. If you copy someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase either version of Pokemon, nor will they purchase any of Gamefreak's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Gamefreak has alienated an entire market with this move.

Gamefreak, publicly apologize and cancel Mewtwo for Pokemon or you can kiss your business goodbye.

I'm so glad this is making a comeback lmao.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ape, Inc. (who worked on Mother 1 and Mother 2, released as Earthbound Beginnings and Earthbound) eventually became Creatures, Inc. (who worked on the Pokémon games).

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
When I first saw freeza and cooler I though they were based on murakami's zoalord transformation in guyver lol

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Who came first, Giygas or Freeza?

Legit question.

Quick search seems to be in favor of Giygas. Both Mother and Friezas (manga) first appearance were in 1989, but Friezas final form may have been a little later.

So technically, Giygas would predate final form Frieza unless theres something Im missing.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Sugimori was heavily inspired by Toriyama, and Pokémon shared plenty of DNA with Mother 1. So inspired by both Freeza and Giygas is what I'd say.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Sugimori was a big Toriyama fan, and I think it's part of the reason I love it so much

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for the all replies guys. I had a feeling both debuted in the late 80's, but I wasn't sure.

In any case, I believe Mewtwo could've been inspired by both of them. Giygas in terms of appearance, Freeza in terms of fighting style.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

I remember there was a version of this post in which a guy with a terrible whining voice proclaimed the text screamingly. It was awesome! Do you have that?!

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC

Haha this is a good one.

On topic: I never even thought about this. Could be right.