• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
I know that the games industry have always been targeting the young male demographics for a long time, long before Microsoft ever entered the market. But at the same time, I do feel like there was a certain shift around the mid-2000's and really came into fruition with the Xbox 360 generation with Gears of War, Halo 3, Forza, Madden, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Mountain Dew & Doritos, Army of Two, etc.? It's as if Xbox marketing and publishing kind of turned videogames from being male geeky shit that Playstation established with Japanese games like Final Fantasy, Silent Hill 2, Metal Gear Solid, in the PS2 era to more frat boy masculinity especially in the 360 era. Like big guns, big muscles, fist-bumping, big explosions, etc.? I mean, there's a reason why the term "dudebro shooter" became a thing around the 2010's. You might argue Sony tried to get in on that branding with Killzone 2, Resistance, maybe even Uncharted.

Do you feel that this Dudebro thing was because of Microsoft, their first-party games, and their marketing? They've always been a very American company that targets mostly just Americans, so it would make sense that they would make their branding and products to reflect frat boy culture. But I also wonder how the whole Dudebro thing went over in Europe, Africa, Asia, EMEAA, and so on?

Also, here's a good academic article on the subject for those who have access to such a thing:

Nov 3, 2017
It's Microsoft catering to the(ir) American market, definitely not imaginary but the format moved on and they stuck to their yearly sports games & shooters now that they're less catered for

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely think it helped. But I think it's because it went for the American audience first.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I feel like that trend started with the PS2, not the Xbox. The "these are cool games for adults" marketing in comparison to the "kiddie games" Nintendo image.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
OP Uncharted isn't a dudebro shooter lol

Dudebro Shooters peaked with Bulletstorm, that reached the limit of doing everything both ironically and seriously.

benji2361

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
No, but I genuinely associate Xbox Live with getting cursed out by a 13 year old as I hear their mother yelling at them in the background. So maybe that instead?

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Of course not, people who like certain things you associate with that play games too, Microsoft made some games they liked. The same way Nintendo is associated with children.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Dude bro" is just a phrase used by gate keeping nerdshits when a game doesn't appeal to specifically them.

If you're referring to generally extreme over the top toxic "Games are for MEN" stuff, I feel like that can be tracked to the 90's, from stuff like Doom and Duke 3D

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I'm far from an Microsoft fan but this is getting a bit out of hand.

Doom, GoldenEye, Duke Nukem and Madden were around before the Xbox.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Not sure why everyone's jumping on Uncharted so much when it was a minor side note with a "maybe" in front of it that's irrelevant to your overall argument. I've noticed people love to do that here.

On topic, I'd say they did to an extent, but probably Activision and EA a lot more so.

A lot of devs doing generic dudebro shooters at that time were chasing the success of Battlefield and COD. Halo too but not to the same level.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
cliffy-b-bad-1620x600.jpg

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like that trend started with the PS2, not the Xbox. The "these are cool games for adults" marketing in comparison to the "kiddie games" Nintendo image.
Earlier than that. PS1 went for the clubbers and even Sega tried to some extent .

I think what MS did was double down on the "hardcore gamer" as opposed to Nintendo's perceived casual audience. That morphed to "core gamer" to mean dudebro games largely played online.

Then for some reason dedicated all resources to chasing the casual audio with kinnect at the end of 360s life and the whole TV obsessed water cooler xb1 initial reveal.

Sony more try to appeal to all, including that group but not to the same extent but a "for the players" focus drew much of that market back.

Last edited:

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
the dude bro audience started with the og playstation.
the marketing for that attracted a different audience than sega or nintendo did

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox made Superman 64, ET and caused the video game market crash of 83.

crimnos

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, that stuff dates way back. Haven't seen anyone mention the Genesis (which I absolutely loved), but that's when I really remember the whole dudebro thing starting up.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always associated dudebro with this assorted list of things:

'Merica
Doritos
Mountain Dew
Frathouses
Halo
Call of Duty
Gears of War

Make of that what you will.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Before xbox, I viewed "dudebros" as a thing endemic of pc gaming. Then, xbox came and brought pc type games to the living room sooooo....I guess so, kinda?
It's something i dont mind so much but can imagine a world where it had never happened also. Not sure if gaming would be as big though. Like, consoles always had madden but the REAL game that woke everyone up to games was call of duty 4 and yeah, I'm not sure we have cod4 on console without Microsoft/xbox.
Over the years, I've learned it's a true monkey's paw to wish for your favorite things to become popular with the common populace, see video games, see comic books, etc. At the same time, those things I just mentioned, in some regards, have never been better.
*shrugs*

Tldr: I guess I kind of do, yeah.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ever since Gears 5 released these threads multiplied, holy fuck. MS definitely profited off the dudebro games but they didn't exactly cause it. What an odd idea for a thread.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
No, but they certainly leaned into it with many others.

Seems like they're doing that less now, as is the rest of the industry. I'm hopeful they'll focus on broader experiences and a broader audience going forward.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I will say

That Halo 1 lan parties

WERE NOT like the lan parties I knew up until that point.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
People got older and didn't want to play cartoon looking games anymore.

PS2 was the more mature console
It had the more mature games. Then Microsoft capitalized on the people brought to the market by Sony.

Video games weren't just for nerds anymore at that point. Though one could argue the dude bro attitude and tough guy postering started in the arcades when games like Street fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat came out. I've seen some brawls in my day due to too much testosterone around arcade cabinets.

Megaten

Oct 30, 2017
Yes, because going back to the NES, every cover wasn't muscular, manly men doing manly things with manly guns. What the fuck is Contra? "Dudebro shit literally only started to be popular in the 2010s"...man just wait until you see Total Recall or Aliens.

What's the next thread going to be? Did MS cause my mother's cancer? Are they the reason Boris Johnson and Donald Trump rose to hold office?

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's as if Xbox marketing and publishing kind of turned videogames from being male geeky shit that Playstation established with Japanese games like Final Fantasy, Silent Hill 2, Metal Gear Solid, in the PS2 era to more frat boy masculinity especially in the 360 era.

This is some pretty bad revisionist history considering GTA is the best selling PS2 game.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe "Dudebro" yes, but the whole "Manly Gamer" stereotype was marketed heavily in the 90s with Sega especially, trying to distinguish themselves from Nintendo's family friendly image.

Games like Doom and Mortal Kombat went a long way towards that as well, it wasn't always intentional but having a gory, violent game that your parents forbid you to play had a strong allure that those were the best games to get. And so they appealed to teens and adults in a rebellious phase, which is what became THE DUDEBRO market.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I'd say that Grand Theft Auto likely had a lot to do with it as well, and it was exclusive to PlayStation for the glory years of the franchise (2001-2004)

I think people are overstating how popular the Xbox was. It was the 2nd most popular console to be sure, but only sold a bit better than GameCube and was FAR outsold by PS2.

To me, it's the other way around, the dudebro trend is the reason why Microsoft made their games the way they did.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
I associate it w/ Halo yeh
I think before this you could point at sports games or counterstrike to an extent, but I def credit Halo with being the big one

i dont think duke nukem or doom were for dudebros or could hype dudebros up like Halo did