• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I decided to watch Thor: The Dark World in anticipation of infinity War coming out on Tuesday. While the film is terrible, the interactions between Thor and Loki are still great. What seems to stick out like a sore thumb is the Aether, especially since it is one of the infinity stones. Did they retcon it into one? It seems to have nothing to do with reality in any shape or form, not is it even presented as a stone in this. It's kind of weird, since the mind and space stones were featured in Avengers 1 and this follows up almost immediately after it. The entire film feels oddly disconnected from everything else, and other than the plotline with Loki could be cut out of the MCU entirely.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Well in comics the Reality stone is incredibly dangerous to use by itself. The other stones are pretty plug and play even animals can use them, except for the Soul stone. It takes a clear mind and a complete understanding of reality to get it work without wiping yourself out of existing. In fact after the whole infinity gauntlet thing Adam Warlock would only trust Thanos with it, because Thanos wouldn't be stupid enough to use it on it's own

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Odin talks about the Infinity Stones during the film and in the credits scene the Aether is explicitly refereed to as one. It's a little odd how it wasn't a stone, and it bugs me that we never see how that transformation happens in Infinity War, but it was supposed to be one. Red is the Power Gem in the comics so maybe it wasnt always meant to be Reality.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
They literally say in the movie that it's one of the Infinity stones. There's no retconning involved.

The teseract being the space stone and Loki's scepter being the mind stone are the only retcons there.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I'm pretty sure the Aether was intended to be. The only retcon shenanigans with regards to the stones was Loki's scepter; I don't think it was originally planned to be the mind stone.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Thinking about it what probably happened was TDW was already written and going into production then it was decided to go with the Infinity Stones so a few little rewrites were done so the film fit with that narrative, stick a few lines in there to say its an Infinity Stone but they couldn't be bothered to explain why it wasn't an actual stone and just left it as some liquid as it was probably originally written.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
They literally say in the movie that it's one of the Infinity stones. There's no retconning involved.

The teseract being the space stone and Loki's scepter being the mind stone are the only retcons there.

eh....I'm not sure about the retcons you mentioned.

The tesseract transported Red Skull in TFA, and it was pretty obvious the scepter was the Mind stone.