• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
The name is gendered and excludes women and girls. I feel like things like that in the past have led to the disrespect women get in gaming to this day.

Deleted member 18742

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was a play on words for Sony's Walkman.
4080.jpg

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
It was not and in no way was a cause of that. Or i have not read ever the 1st complain about "I never played video games cuase the game boy was called gameboy and not GAme or Gamegirl"

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Somehow surprised that I haven't seen this thread before in retrospect

But for the question, I don't think so? It calls the console itself boy and I don't think anybody was particularly miffed they're playing Pokemon FireRed on something called a boy

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
As much as Walkman was, given it's a riff on that.

Edit: I'm not only late, but apparently people didn't realize that, heh.

Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
I can't inagine it was around that time but I'd imagine that parents didn't get it for their daughters because they might have said that the game boy is for boys only.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, the OP is not really asking.

You're all gonna end up in a circlejerk over an obvious troll thread.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
On the offchance this is a legitimate question and not bait for a Facebook shitposting group, there are a lot of factors that contributed to the rampant misogny in gaming today, whether in a digital landscape or the multiplayer community, but a gendered name for a platform ranks at the bottom of the list, if not completely eschews it.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Given how much around me it's the ladies that got the most use out of said aforementioned
God-Of-War-Boy.jpg

I don't think ladays gave much of a damn on this one ...

(checks with his sister and his SO .... yeah no apparently like Brofield just said to quote them "there's a lot of shit that contributed to the rampant misogyny we see but the name for the platforms itself is low on the list it's barely worth mentionning really " )

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
It is obviously sexist...though still a good name and a great play on the Sony Walkman. They did right moving away from it though I'm sure they will release a Gameboy classic one day under that banner.

Deleted member 34873

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Dare I post my initial reaction to this thread like everyone else and risk another 5 day ban for making light of discrimination discussion?

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, new question: Is the Walkman name sexist?
The name was definitely not well liked at first.
Wikipedia said:
The Walkman was followed by a series of international releases; as overseas sales companies objected to the Japanese-English name, it was sold under several names, including Soundabout in the United States, Freestyle in Sweden, and Stowaway in the UK

So in the end, it's Sony's fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.