• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Yeah, and Larry Bird was super athletic. Person was either shitposting or ignorant.

Love this YouTube clip of every Bird Score/Rebound/Assist in the 1981 finals (He averaged 15ppg / 15rpg / 8apg in the series):

Anybody who plays basketball respects that this man can work.

Man, it's sucks Birds health hobbled him later in his career.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
You wouldn't be surprised by a complete collapse in world basketball talent? Interesting. Oh, and when you add in the stats for 2016 (+13.1 roster talent, +22.5 PPG margin) the graph levels off, so that sort of puts a bit of a damper on your prediction.

Did you read the article? That article is basically saying that US Olympic Teams are trending downwards in terms of talent (because the best ones are opting out of the team) but luckily, international talent is also trending down. The 2016 stats (+13.1 roster talent, +22.5 PPG margin) put them at 2000 level which is not a good place to be.

Also that link has the following gem btw:
Unsurprisingly, the 1992 Dream Team was the most talented group the U.S. ever sent to a major international tournament.

You should've read the article more because it has this to say: Yes, the Dream Team was really good, but the competition was also pretty weak.

Which chimes in why i thinks its slightly disappointing that the 1992 Dream Team the greatest assemblage of talent in US Olympic Basketball history and motivated by revenge after the 1988 bronze did not beat the 53 point differential setup by 1956 US Olympic Basketball Team.

And yet with all of that going for them (the talent, the leadership, the motivation) they didn't get anywhere near the record. Just a bit over half-way there. Still would've needed 30% more just to reach the Dream Team's point differential.

I honestly don't know at this point, because your arguments keep jumping around all over the place, and you have very...unique expectations.

But glad to see you finally acknowledge my point: there's a plethora of top 15 NBA talent on the Olympics teams from '08 onward, and that hasn't changed, so their inability to approach 50+ PPG differential has nothing to do with that, contrary to what you claimed. Instead, it's because world competition has gotten better.

LOL. Really did you read the article? Or even the graph? The 2012 and 2008 international competition was trending down but it was still NOT AS BAD as it was during 1992 Olympics. Did i fail to mention that the 1992 Dream Team have the most opportune time to break the the 53 point differential Olympic record and how slightly disappointing that was?

I trust Coach K and the actual players on the Olympic team over your hunches, sorry ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well i just have to leave it to you find the links detailing the special relationship that Carmelo have with Coach K and Boeheim. And also how lacking he was when it comes to his ability to lead in the NBA.

Oh no, those didn't go away. He did dominate. You just can't comprehend that he didn't give a fuck about a 40-year-old record he probably wasn't even aware of.

After the incident with Angola, i thought that NBA marketing stepping-in to hold back the competitive nature of Team USA players was pretty well-known:
"After the game, Jordan said, "There just wasn't any place for it. We were dominating the game. It created mixed feelings, it caused a mixed reaction about the U.S. There's already some negative feelings about us." Even though this was the only incident of the game, it changed the narrative; instead of the Americans being viewed as a highly skilled team beating an underdog, some viewed them as bullies. "

They couldve let loose and have a display of domination that is one for the record books. I mean w/o the publicity people keeping them distracted with marketing guidelines, they couldve beaten that 53 point differential record by the 1956 US Olympic Basketball easy given the situation they are in.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Your whole arguement is a hypothetical about comparing two teams from completely two different eras that played against vastly different opponents.

You can't then say "well no time travel comparisons" when your whole point is centered around doing exactly that, lol.

Because the only way to do it directly would be if said teams all got to play the exact same opponents in the exact same situation. Which is impossible.

56/60 may as well have been playing a bunch of 8th graders equivalent to what basketball developed to in 1992, you don't even know who they played.

Was there even a single player on Team Phillipines 1956 that could play in the NBA ever? You don't know.

What's the roster for team Thailand? You don't know. Who's their best player? You don't know.

Did they even play any opponent with any single player as good as even Dino Radja (Croatia '92's 3rd/4th best player who had some decent NBA seasons)? Very unlikely.

The quality of competition in 56/60 was likely a joke. The sport was in its complete infancy development wise globally.

I like how you are trying to attach fallacious imaginary, time-travel accusations in places it does not apply.

The quality of physics in the 1800's is a joke. Physics is in its complete infancy. Isaac Newton's achievement could've been done by today's high school students LMAO!

Most people know to judge an achievement within the impact it created in its era (and subsequent influence afterwards) and have the self-awareness/restraint to avoid downplaying historical achievements just to make excuses why the more current ones who have the benefit of further development and knowledge, was not able to do the same. You should work on that.

We could sit here forever trying to creatively imagine if the talent disparity between 1992 and 1956 or how just how much adjustment we should do to undo the unfair advantage that the 1992 Dream Team (and their 1992 opponents) has over regarding training, nutrition, scouting etc. to their 1956 counterparts.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like how you are trying to attach fallacious imaginary, time-travel accusations in places it does not apply.

The quality of physics in the 1800's is a joke. Physics is in its complete infancy. Isaac Newton's achievement could've been done by today's high school students LMAO!

Most people know to judge an achievement within the impact it created in its era (and subsequent influence afterwards) and have the self-awareness/restraint to avoid downplaying historical achievements just to make excuses why the more current ones who have the benefit of further development and knowledge, was not able to do the same. You should work on that.

We could sit here forever trying to creatively imagine if the talent disparity between 1992 and 1956 or how just how much adjustment we should do to undo the unfair advantage that the 1992 Dream Team (and their 1992 opponents) has over regarding training, nutrition, scouting etc. to their 1956 counterparts.

Sorry no, lol, I'm not impressed by beating up on what were purely garbage teams in 56/60.

I mean the first ever basketball game was also 1-0, it the team that held the other squad to only 0 points the greatest defensive team ever? LOL.

I think this conversation has run its course. Feel free to continue discussing it with yourself.

404Ender

Oct 25, 2017
Did you read the article? That article is basically saying that US Olympic Teams are trending downwards in terms of talent (because the best ones are opting out of the team)

I did, yes. But trending downward from when? You keep narrowing in on 2016, probably because it's the only data point that remotely comes close to your argument, since 2008 and 2012 contradict it. A single data point (2016) is not a trend, and 9 of the top 15 NBA players in the team is not representative of the "best players opting out". Having a team made from the top 12 would not result in a +30 point differential boost. Stop pushing a false narrative.

Let's step back and remember where this started. No one is arguing that since 1992 the US talent hasn't trended downward. Hard to top the greatest team of all time. You're trying to push the narrative that it's simply because too many top players are skipping, and if only they didn't skip maybe we could get back to 40-50+ point beatdowns.

Did you consider that maybe the NBA overall (including its top players) was simply better in 2008 than in 2016, which would explain a dip in talent?

At this point I think you're just going to keep ignoring the reality of the rosters, and it's not worth continuing to try to hammer the point home.

LOL. Really did you read the article? Or even the graph? The 2012 and 2008 international competition was trending down but it was still NOT AS BAD as it was during 1992 Olympics.

Right. International competition is much better than in 1992 and here to stay. Try to keep up, we've said that all along.

Last edited:

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
People using club sports teams to argue against dream team lol.

The dream team can't be beaten by an another assembly of players from that era.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
latest

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Is someone really trying to argue that the 1956 Olympic team is a "great athletic team" (which is the point of this thread) than the 1992 Olympic team?

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Just reposting the link for reference:
I did, yes. But trending downward from when? You keep narrowing in on 2016, probably because it's the only data point that remotely comes close to your argument, since 2008 and 2012 contradict it.

A yeah. 2012 was the one with 19.8 (+32.1 point differential) while 2008 was 19.0(+27.9 point differential). Pretty flat talent-wise but the quality of international competition is trending downwards even more. Its a good thing too because 2016 was relatively weak with many stars opting out and only 2 guys with Olympic experience which lead to roster rating of 13.1 (+22.5 point differential).

Could you imagine if Team USA assembled a 2016 Olympic Team with at least a+19 roster rating(ie. with Lebron, Westbrook, Harden, Kawhi but probanly not Curry who was injured iirc), they could probably go at least +37 judging from the downward trend of the international competition. All it needs is a proper motivation and a few lucky breaks (like say Spain or any of the top teams forfeiting) and i wouldnt rule-out a future Team USA Olympic Team beating the point differential record of 53 set by the 1956 US Olympic Team.

A single data point (2016) is not a trend, and 9 of the top 15 NBA players in the team is not representative of the "best players opting out". Having a team made from the top 12 would not result in a +30 point differential boost. Stop pushing a false narrative.

See above. Like ive said many times already to beat the 53 point differential record set by the 1956 US Olympic they need more than just to upgrade Team USA's roster. Been pretty consistent with that one.

The 1992 Dream Team has the roster talent and motivation(1988 bronze) and the added lucky break of having its biggest international rivals (the Soviets and Yugoslavia) dissolved, to break the 53 point differential Olympic record set by the 1956 US Olympic Team . . . . and they failed and that is mildly disappointing.

Let's step back and remember where this started. No one is arguing that since 1992 the US talent hasn't trended downward. Hard to top the greatest team of all time. You're trying to push the narrative that it's simply because too many top players are skipping, and if only they didn't skip maybe we could get back to 40-50+ point beatdowns.

Did you consider that maybe the NBA overall (including its top players) was simply better in 2008 than in 2016, which would explain a dip in talent?

Could be but it is also a fact that Lebron, Westbrook, Harden, Kawhi declined the Team USA invitation for the 2016 Olympics even though they are not recovering from an injury. They wouldve bolstered the roster talent of that Olympic team by a lot maybe even reaching +20. Especially with quality of the international competition trending down.

At this point I think you're just going to keep ignoring the reality of the rosters, and it's not worth continuing to try to hammer the point home.

I did not. See above.

QUOTE="404Ender, post: 22337170, member: 6958"]
Right. International competition is much better than in 1992 and here to stay. Try to keep up, we've said that all along.
[/QUOTE]

International competition peaked in mid 200s and is now trending downward. If this continues, well i already typed my feelings on the likelihood of some team beating the 53 point differential.