• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Just got some water, firewood and dry foods

Prob get some more rations tomorrow. I'm used to snow cause I'm from the Midwest, but I'm not used to roads not getting plowed, etc.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Welp no rock salt, but four bags of water softener will do the trick

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Please people, shovel your sidewalks. I was the only person on my block in Seattle (Green Lake) that did on Monday. I'm surprised people didn't slip and hurt themselves on all the ice.

OP
OP
BringBackSonics
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
i hope it won't be that bad or I'll probably run out of food. Can't drive anywhere right now because my hill is still icy.

Rock salt is pretty much sold out every where, best guess is just keep on calling tomorrow and Friday for reshipments

I just got back from QFC after reading this thread. The store was already packed with frantic people, so maybe go sooner than later. I stocked up on some canned goods in case the power goes out. Funny, the canned chicken never seems to run out.

No one wants canned chicken even in dire straits. I was at Costco and they were pretty much out of bottled water, empty pallets piled up.

Look like the GFS is predicting 9+ inches for Seattle Friday-Saturday.

While the Euro is predicting a more reasonable 3.9 inches

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Poor girl today or yesterday slipped on ice at UW campus and unfortunately she injured her head and passed away. I can't stop thinking about the call to her parents. Like. Random chaotic horrible universe.

Maybe it will keep people inside and not spreading measles.

I heard measles is CAUSED by vaccines. On GOOP. Or Maher's show. ANyway, one of the real science sites.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I'm in Clark county and end up at the doctor a lot, the measles outbreak has been a ball

Poor girl today or yesterday slipped on ice at UW campus and unfortunately she injured her head and passed away. I can't stop thinking about the call to her parents. Like. Random chaotic horrible universe

Jesus that is fucking awful. I got chills reading that.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Poor girl today or yesterday slipped on ice at UW campus and unfortunately she injured her head and passed away. I can't stop thinking about the call to her parents. Like. Random chaotic horrible universe.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/uw-student-dies-after-slipping-on-campus-sidewalk/

The sophomore slipped in the area north of the Electrical and Computer Engineering Building and east of Drumheller Fountain around 10:30 a.m., UW Police Maj. Steve Rittereiser said in an email.

The general area where the student slipped was treated with sand and salt before classes resumed Wednesday, as were other major walkways, university spokesman Victor Balta said in an email.

Can't believe the university hadn't salted the shit out of everything to the point where ice was gone. If I were a bigwig at a school that would be one of my biggest fears during a snowstorm.

Rittereiser said university police were aware of Facebook events asking students to pour water over campus walkways at night so classes would be cancelled again. But detectives determined that wasn't related to the incident, he said.

Unrelated but still what the fuck.

Error_404

Nov 12, 2017
Looks like yamhill won't be hit too bad, I'll just stay on the highways when I go to and from Salem on Sunday instead of using backroads

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh fuuuuuuuuuuck I gotta go stock up on groceries Portland is so goddamn stupid when it snowsssss

D23

Oct 25, 2017
What are the chances im going to lose power in downtown seattle?

Last edited:
OP
OP
BringBackSonics
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
NWS projecting 8-12 inches of snow in Seattle in the first snow event with 20-35 mph

DyztMBjXcAE3Xw6

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I think that chart is adding some of the snow from last week or something?

Because NWS and everyone else has been saying 5-8" for Seattle:

edit: Looks like they were basically exagerating / click baiting with the image you posted

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Only 6-8" in the south puget sound area? That's sad.
Probably less, that graphic is their "worst case scenario" graphic.

The regular prediction for Olympia and south is 3-5".

I've been trying to say for a couple of days in this thread... the real SNOWMAGEDON storm is the "tentative" one for next week, not the one for Friday/Saturday. The Euro model IIRC is still only 4-6" for Seattle until Monday when the bigger storm MIGHT hit.

woodypop

Oct 27, 2017
I think we've got enough food supplies.

Maybe I'll finally get a chance to wrap up GoT S7, She-Ra, and start Westworld. Hopefully the power doesn't go out. Need to make sure my Switch and 3DS are fully charged, just in case.

OP
OP
BringBackSonics
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Probably less, that graphic is their "worst case scenario" graphic.

The regular prediction for Olympia and south is 3-5".

I've been trying to say for a couple of days in this thread... the real SNOWMAGEDON storm is the "tentative" one for next week, not the one for Friday/Saturday. The Euro model IIRC is still only 4-6" for Seattle until Monday when the bigger storm MIGHT hit.

Anything 4-5+ inches around here is snowmageddon territory for most folks

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Anything 4-5+ inches around here is snowmageddon territory for most folks
I'm referring to the "worst storm since 1996" prediction. That is an uncertain weather event for next week, not the basically "same as last wekeend" they are predicting for tomrorrow.

Calling a typical snow in Seattle SNOWMAGEDON really doens't leave room for discussing actually concerning snow storms.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Bright white part in the middle of the Gorge is where I used to live, 14 miles from civilization. Note civilization is the closest place to purchase anything.

We would've got snowed in and died of starvation, looks like.

*Hugs Austin TX's 70 degree weather*

bjork

Oct 27, 2017
I'm ~3 miles from work, so if it is too shitty to drive, I'll just walk. It won't be pleasant, but it beats having the car slide on ice.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Don't forget to stock up on fridge beer. Got some Bodhi and Sky Kraken, but it definitely won't last. Time to hit Chucks along with the grocery store.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Don't forget to stock up on fridge beer. Got some Bodhi and Sky Kraken, but it definitely won't last. Time to hit Chucks along with the grocery store.
lol

Supposed to go to a big share on Saturday; it's gonna be dicey but I figure with 4-6" being the most likely that there will still be Ubers. But later that night could be tough getting home.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I think that chart is adding some of the snow from last week or something?

Because NWS and everyone else has been saying 5-8" for Seattle:

edit: Looks like they were basically exagerating / click baiting with the image you posted

That graphic is Friday-Saturday

The bigger snow is supposed to come Monday

I got 2 five packs of lighters - I'm not going to be snowed in with a bunch of weed and no lighter, lol

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
That graphic is Friday-Saturday

The bigger snow is supposed to come Monday
Errr.. I'm well aware and have been posting that repatedly in this thread lol

Not sure what that had to do with the post you just quoted which is about Friday-Saturday and how the NWS image posted is an exageration of the actual forecast.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Oh fuuuuuuuuuuck I gotta go stock up on groceries Portland is so goddamn stupid when it snowsssss

Yes, but we have something of an excuse:

- It doesn't snow here all that much (maybe one significant event every 3-4 years)
- When it snows, our high temperatures usually creep above freezing during the day, so things melt and refreeze overnight, putting sheets of ice on top of snow
- Our city doesn't salt roads due to environmental concerns (though they will be this time)

I solve the problem by not driving in snow at all. I don't have the experience, and I don't trust anyone else here to have it either. If I can stay home from work then I will, but I can always bus/MAX in if I have to. On the other hand, if there's actually 8-12" of snow, my work will probably close the campus anyway.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but we have something of an excuse:

- It doesn't snow here all that much (maybe one significant event every 3-4 years)
- When it snows, our high temperatures usually creep above freezing during the day, so things melt and refreeze overnight, putting sheets of ice on top of snow
- Our city doesn't salt roads due to environmental concerns (though they will be this time)

I solve the problem by not driving in snow at all. I don't have the experience, and I don't trust anyone else here to have it either. If I can stay home from work then I will, but I can always bus/MAX in if I have to. On the other hand, if there's actually 8-12" of snow, my work will probably close the campus anyway.
I work from home so really, my only concern is "do I have enough food." Hah.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Not sure what that had to do with the post you just quoted which is about Friday-Saturday and how the NWS image posted is an exageration of the actual forecast.
There are multiple models, all of which are 'actual forecasts'.

The one you quoted only goes through the afternoon on Saturday, maybe the other one goes longer into the night? Either way they aren't really that far-off from each other. Land isn't flat here and we have water, it's not like predicting snow in Iowa.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

Again.. well aware... that image is not what the NWS is forecasting as their best bet forecast (what I meant by actual forecast).. that image is their extreme worst case scenario forecast, hence the "12 inches" which I'm not seeing any model even give a slight chance, so not even sure where they got it. It's click bait, look at their twitter they have their more realistic forecast up.

The one you quoted only goes through the afternoon on Saturday, maybe the other one goes longer into the night?

The answer to this question is in the very post you quoted; perhaps read the entire post.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle

The one you quoted only goes through the afternoon on Saturday, maybe the other one goes longer into the night? Either way they aren't really that far-off from each other. Land isn't flat here and we have water, it's not like predicting snow in Iowa.

You quoted the wrong person.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Seeing several places that average models out predicting only 1-3" in Seattle through Saturday as most likely scenario, with 3-6" being second most likely.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
It will definitely be interesting to see who is right.

Yeah always part of the fun; but anyone who has lived here through snow knows that at least 75% of the time the hyped storm never quite comes. Only natural for the news to take say a 10% chance and make that amount the headline but look at the data and it isn't QUITE as scary lol.

Never know of course, but for instance this is based on averaging dozens of models:

7mydoBv.png

The European model is MUCH more conservative about the snow this weekend so it's driving these predictions down compared to stuff like what the UW model comes up with (Cliff Mass always mentions the European model but his headlines tend to be based on the UW model.)

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Yeah always part of the fun; but anyone who has lived here through snow knows that at least 75% of the time the hyped storm never quite comes. Only natural for the news to take say a 10% chance and make that amount the headline but look at the data and it isn't QUITE as scary lol.

Never know of course, but for instance this is based on averaging dozens of models:

7mydoBv.png

The European model is MUCH more conservative about the snow this weekend so it's driving these predictions down compared to stuff like what the UW model comes up with (Cliff Mass always mentions the European model but his headlines tend to be based on the UW model.)

For sure, we always overhype and then deal with the fallout when nothing happens. Still, 1-3 inches can cripple the area.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
People out here don't know how to drive on snow or ice either, and that makes it a lot worse

Back home, traffic would still move and I'd be e-brake sliding into my parking spot like a boss. Everything just stops here, you see people locking up their brakes and just praying the car stops. No putting it in neutral, brake pumping, trying to steer, nothing.