• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The series also moves us back to a silent protagonist role, one that can be customized to a degree. Players can pick between three genders: male, female or "classified." The "classified" classification is meant for anyone who might be non-binary or doesn't want to identify a gender. The "classified" designation is also applicable to other fields in the bio form as well. The thinking from the developers is that rather than forcing players into a decision they don't want to make, people will appreciate the feeling of being shrouded in mystery and letting their imagination define their character. The developers also rerecorded dialogue to use them/they pronouns for the "classified" gender. Other character options include incidental background details that don't affect gameplay, like place of birth, and your military background.

More details here:

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mentioned this in the other thread, but as an enby I LOVE this.

Not only do I get rep which is a pleasant surprise, but we get the coolest title for it too! So cool

Raigor

May 14, 2020
A US military propaganda game being this progressive is something i've never expected to see.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is fantastic but I REALLY hope they don't pull a Modern Warfare 2 with them and ice them immediately lol

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I never, ever expected to see anything like this in a Call of Duty game.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
👏 more 👏 non-binary 👏 war criminals 👏

really cool to see in such a high profile/mainstream game all the same

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
I'm binary and I'll be playing as classified because that sounds cool as heck lol

I cant remember the last time i was this excited for a COD game

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Pretty cool option.
But man, fuck silent protagonists.

It's definitely a gameplay mechanic that should've left the gaming sphere when it became old hat in the Gamecube/Xbox/PS2-era. Even when such silent mime characters get lampshaded in more modern titles ("Now's one of those times, pays to be the strong silent type.") it lost it's flavour for me before that.

May 19, 2020
This is some very clever satire from The Hard Times right, non-binary state sanctioned murder machines that work for President Reagan lmao

Oct 25, 2017
Including an option for a non-binary protagonist but in a game where Ronald Reagan is a central supportive figure is peak COD.

I mean I'm glad it's there but holy shit.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Reminder that Reagan and his admin laughed at the AIDS crisis because it was killing gay men disproportionately. Fuck Reagan and fuck cod.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
It's definitely a gameplay mechanic that should've left the gaming sphere when it became old hat in the Gamecube/Xbox/PS2-era. Even when such silent mime characters get lampshaded in more modern titles ("Now's one of those times, pays to be the strong silent type.") it lost it's flavour for me before that.

For real.
Every time I have to experience a story as a blank slate nothing of a character, I just can't anymore.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean when you're planning this out the developers had to stop and go what the fuck are we doing what the fuck is this

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What a great way of doing it. Major props. I am psyched to be CLASSIFIED just to do it, and I'm super pleased for people who will feel represented in some way by this.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Silent protagonists are so boring, but I guess if you do it might as well add options since it changes barely anything

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I mean yeah, but it always takes me out of a game when someone asks the character a question or tries to interact with them and they're just quiet lol
Yeah silent protagonists make sense for RPGs because dialog options and role playing but for linear games they're weird 98% of the time.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I mentioned this in the other thread, but as an enby I LOVE this.

Not only do I get rep which is a pleasant surprise, but we get the coolest title for it too! So cool
Thanks for your perspective. I saw someone on Twitter say they felt this was a bad way to handle nb stuff in a game so it's interesting to see your take. I'd be curious what other nb people think about it.

Ghost Rider

Oct 27, 2017
My first take was being reminded of Don't ask, Don't Tell, but it seems like it is the "best" solution. Odd juxtaposition with rest Of the game as others have mentioned

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for your perspective. I saw someone on Twitter say they felt this was a bad way to handle nb stuff in a game so it's interesting to see your take. I'd be curious what other nb people think about it.
Yeah I can only speak for myself!

After the "wow this is great!" wore off, reading further and seeing that they're committing by using they/them pronouns for dialog makes me feel more convinced that they're doing what they can. Which is good. I understand the skepticism and the complaints about the dissonance of warfare in the era, but I think that just comes with the price of entry of playing these games which I've already made my peace with.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yeah I can only speak for myself!

After the "wow this is great!" wore off, reading further and seeing that they're committing by using they/them pronouns for dialog makes me feel more convinced that they're doing what they can. Which is good. I understand the skepticism and the complaints about the dissonance of warfare in the era, but I think that just comes with the price of entry of playing these games which I've already made my peace with.
Yeah obviously it's hard to reconcile a game about war and illegal covert operations with Ronald Reagan in a leading role being "progressive," lol

But I'm with you. I will play these games regardless, for better or for worse, and any small steps are steps in the right direction in my opinion.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
it would be way cooler if you could just say your character is non-binary. and also if pronouns were separate from the gender option altogether

OP
OP
Sargerus

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean yeah, but it always takes me out of a game when someone asks the character a question or tries to interact with them and they're just quiet lol
Its so weird in MW2 and 3 you see characters like Soap and Price speaking but when you are in control of them, they become mute all of a sudden.

Oct 25, 2017