• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Tom Nook A Good Guy

• I am a nice person, and so is Tom Nook

Votes: 140 61.7%
  • I can't like nice things, so I think Tom Nook (a genuinely nice guy) is evil

Votes: 87 38.3%

• Total voters

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
JcONIqP.jpg

For years, Tom Nook has been dogged by his unsavory reputation. Nook, an anthropomorphic tanuki who lords over every Animal Crossing save file, has been labeled a villain, a nefarious bandit and a real estate robber baron, among many other more colorful titles. "I despise capitalists, and Tom Nook is Animal Crossing's foremost capitalist," declared a recent article in Vice Games.

In earlier titles, Nook exhibited a cruel streak. He was a busybody. And over time, his real qualities have been embellished with a range of secondary observations, ranging from the earnest to the comically over-the-top.

There's the edgelord school of humor wherein an analogy is made between the game and some sort of ugly real life phenomenon. For example, Tom Nook abuses children, they claim, by installing the twins Timmy and Tommy Nook to labor in his general store, Nook's Cranny. These go into the "pay no mind" category.

Then there are the good faith critiques of capital and the landowning class: Why are players forced to run errands for Nook, and also effectively pay rent to him? What's the point of capitalism — even benevolent capitalism — in a desert island utopia, where food and water is abundant and money literally grows on trees? Still others don't differentiate, having rolled up the whole slew of critiques, from the absurd to the well-meaning, into a single package in service of the meme: Tom Nook is evil, Tom Nook is cruel.

Nintendo is aware of Nook's reputation — and they think we've all misunderstood the besweatered raccoon.

"I think he's a really, really good guy," Hisashi Nogami, the producer on Animal Crossing: New Horizons told The Post's Elise Favis. "You do owe him money, but it's not like he comes over and then asks you to pay him back. And he doesn't add interest in any of the loans that you may have. I think he really does stick around and wait for you and then lets you take the lead for paying him back."

Timothy Miller, a professor of religious studies at the University of Kansas and the author of a number of books on communes and alternative communities, cautioned against generalizations in an email to The Post, but rattled off a list of communities and leaders that roughly fit Nook's profile: prosperous, and benevolent. So, Miller was asked, would they follow Nook's money-lending lead?

"Zero interest loans from the community treasury? I think that would be rare, mainly because most communities are not sitting on a lot of cash," Miller wrote back.

Ultimately, many of these communities went bust or only narrowly avoided bankruptcy. In this context, Nook's achievement is even more impressive. His island community doesn't appear to even entertain the possibility of failure. I doubt the programming would allow it. And so, against all odds, Nook's project is the rare combination of utopian, and successful. It should be lauded on those merits.

If the Nook-As-Villain meme lives on (and it probably will) its utility will be in giving many players a Baby's First Landlord to practice on. I have a happy relationship with my landlord, insofar as one can have a happy relationship with a faceless management company. But a few days ago I got an email from them. It read, in part: "It's important to know that the eviction moratoriums that have been put in place does not relieve residents of paying their rent or complying with their lease. Again, we are committed to helping those directly impacted by the pandemic and are prepared to assist after all other options have been exhausted."

What is direct financial impact in a historical pandemic? If a resident keeps their job, but needs money to support a relative, is that direct financial impact? What if all the other options of assistance are held up by legislative dysfunction? The logic and rules of landlords runs counter to the moment.
The benefit of the scrutiny of Nook (just or not) is that there are ample, and more deserving targets for such scrutiny in the real world. If the benefit of raking Nook over the Internet coals is the development of critical thinking and class consciousness, that's a good outcome. Even if it's not exactly what Nintendo had in mind.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Tom Nook is a crook that travels from scam to scam tricking humans. The other special animal residents are his friends and go along with him.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I don't know if this is similar in other Animal Crossing games, as this is my first one, but it's really noticable how you own a Nook-branded phone and use a Nook-branded ATM to access your funds at the Bank of Nook.

Tom Nook comes across as some crazy trillionaire who's playing pretend on a deserted island because he's bored.

kaiush

Jan 22, 2018
I've never understood why people think Nook is evil. Now, I've only played New Leaf and Horizons so I don't know his entire history, but the dude hooks you up with interest free loans without hesitation. In Horizons, he will give you furniture and bell vouchers for catching bugs (that you can sell), taking photos, and just talking to your neighbors.
Seems like a pretty chill dude to me.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
I've never understood why people think Nook is evil. Now, I've only played New Leaf and Horizons so I don't know his entire history, but the dude hooks you up with interest free loans without hesitation. In Horizons, he will give you furniture and bell vouchers for catching bugs (that you can sell), taking photos, and just talking to your neighbors.
Seems like a pretty chill dude to me.
The player is basically his fish and fruit vendor in previous games. Nook probably owned a fish market somewhere and made bank from the player's catch.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who gives you interest free loans and doesn't bother you if you don't pay it off is a good guy to me.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Donates to orphanages to little kids.

But little do you know these kids are orphans because he crushed their parents society into a debt that could never be repaid.

You are never offered to help the orphanage. He leaves the propaganda and true intentions a secret. He is a capitalist monster who enslaves people out of a promise for a happy life.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
If Tom Nook is real I'm gonna loan for sure. 0% interest rate is a real blessing.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I will gladly pay off my loan to him my entire life.

He gave me something when I had nothing, all while being patient and understanding.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tom Nook is a hero. Players freely choose to transact with him on utterly reasonable terms, when they could stop at any time, then some of them complain about landlords and capitalists. Notably, only AFTER they accept his totally optional (and sometimes extremely generous) services.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Tom Nook is a hero. Players freely choose to transact with him on utterly reasonable terms, when they could stop at any time, then some of them complain about landlords and capitalists. Notably, only AFTER they accept his totally optional (and sometimes extremely generous) services.

I haven't played AC, but from what I read, it sounds to me like some people simply can't deal with the idea of owing another person money, therefore that person has to be capitalist scum.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
0% interest free sure, but probably has huge profit margins on the goods you buy from him. There's no competition.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
New Horizon's Nook seems like a great guy... the older versions, much less so the further back you go.

Current Nook is letting me pay off a huge loan without any interest simply by consistently dumping scorpions and tarantulas in a box outside his kids' business.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
It's impossible to assess the fairness of your relationship with Nook without knowing how much he sells the fruits, fish and bugs for. For all we know, he exploits us by underpaying while we live and work in his island-farm while he makes mega-bucks selling elsewhere. All the while, we still pay for our accommodation. Which by the way, do we even own it? A lot of unanswered questions. "Interest-free" loan may well be just a diversion tactic.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
New Horizons is my first Animal Crossing game, and I have to say that I really don't see the problem with Tom Nook. I mean, sure, he has a tendency to surprise you with the price for many things AFTER you've requested them, but his repayment terms are quite reasonable. Plus, it's hard to not appreciate his enthusiasm for what he does...as well as for K.K. Slider. XD

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017

Almost. New Horizons opens with him going "Here's a tent! Here's a smartphone! Here's a [whatever]!". And then an hour later he goes "Oh yeah, all that stuff I gifted to you? That's gonna cost ya. Sorry for any misunderstanding."

Cl0ud7

Oct 26, 2018
You were all fooled by him, this Rat doesn't give you Interest free loans, actually you don't know how much it cost the upgrade of your house, doesn't it seems suspicious to you that build 1 room costs like 180K, but build 1 more room exactly the same as the previous one costs twice?

He is milking us.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think he's evil and I think the meme is stupid. Stay in your tents, edgelords.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't know about Tom Nook because never played the games but landlords are bad (not that they're bad people but the actions and practices) and yes they do run counter to this pandemic. Thought Slime did a great video about it recently:

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
You were all fooled by him, this Rat doesn't give you Interest free loans, actually you don't know how much it cost the upgrade of your house, doesn't it seems suspicious to you that build 1 room costs like 180K, but build 1 more room exactly the same as the previous one costs twice?

He is milking us.
Truth. I've always assumed he's making a mint off the loans especially as you're not seeing any paperwork. "Interest-free," you guys believe him when he says that?

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Horizon's Nook seems like a great guy... the older versions, much less so the further back you go.

Current Nook is letting me pay off a huge loan without any interest simply by consistently dumping scorpions and tarantulas in a box outside his kids' business.
Actually, even then.

Like, in the GCN game, you're (the PC) the idiot who takes a train to some town in the middle of nowhere with no job, no place to stay or anything and nothing but a tiny bit of pocket money on you. Tom Nook still nonetheless fixes you up with a house with a zero interest loan that you can pay back at whatever pace you want and starts you off with a job as well.

For a mess you completely got yourself into and he had no reason to care about whatsoever, he was more than generous, tbh.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
New Horizons is my first Animal Crossing game, and I have to say that I really don't see the problem with Tom Nook. I mean, sure, he has a tendency to surprise you with the price for many things AFTER you've requested them, but his repayment terms are quite reasonable. Plus, it's hard to not appreciate his enthusiasm for what he does...as well as for K.K. Slider. XD

It's just a joke that's kind of played out.
It made more sense on the GameCube AC since he was a bit rude and was sort of annoyed he had to help you. Joke doesn't really make sense anymore though

Deleted member 26156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Tom Nook is more construction company owner than landlord. Those bells are actually paying for something substantial.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Almost. New Horizons opens with him going "Here's a tent! Here's a smartphone! Here's a [whatever]!". And then an hour later he goes "Oh yeah, all that stuff I gifted to you? That's gonna cost ya. Sorry for any misunderstanding."
Not his fault the player signed up for his travel service and didn't bother reading any terms and conditions!

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I found him to be really sweet and chill, but thrn I saw the golf equipment and thought "you motherfucker, I'm vollecting corals to pay you off, and you are just chilling here"

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
He hooks you up with interest free loans which seems like a really good deal. But then you are essentially held prisoner on his island, weeding, gardening and fishing and stopping any bugs from spoiling his flowers.

He is basically a slave owner making you his bitch.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also lol at 0 interest.
If I was charging almost double the price for the additional room I was charging for the room before that, for no reason mind you, I wouldnt need interest either.

Seriously, why is my first room 360k but the second one 580 lol. Fuck off Nook.

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
Interest free loans? Shit, why is every room I add to my house twice as expensive as the last one? It's the same size room. Dude's a fucking grifter.

Furyous

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Nook is basically Jeff Bezos with a lil Tim Cook thrown in.

Amazon Prime isn't coming to your island but Nook Prime will. You don't have the $x00 for a smartphone so this heavily subsidized Nook Phone should hold you over.

You get a loan and unlimited time to pay it back while living rent free on an island. Absent insect bites the island is safe. You don't have to worry about food or power.

Once villagers move in the economy flourishes so Tim Nook gets a return on investment.

How is Tim Nook a bad guy?

Sidenote: Can someone make an Animal Crossing thread called "I hate you" filled with all the lavish house and island designs? I got a whole list of people I'm mad at in this game.

Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts
People complaining about getting ripped off on building extra rooms when you live on an island where food and resources are infinite. Money doesn't even matter when you live in a world where home upgrades are the only thing with a substantial cost.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
It is unsettling that he owns and charges you for everything, but his entire system is intentionally and completely broken in your favor.

No interest, no timeline, and you can pay him back in weeds and broken sticks. You could skip town entirely by turning off the game at any time, and he won't do anything. It's not really profiteering since you could just never pay him back. It's more like "Hey, you could do this stuff. But there's no rush, and it's fine if you don't." Not to mention that you're the one who signed up for a vacation with no money, and he's the guy selling you all this stuff that you probably should have packed.

So I guess the guy is okay.