• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
"Rather than risk him losing the primaries and being a two-time loser (I mean that in the most literal sense), let him run for a statewide office in Texas."

Democrats need to recognize the value of establishing a strong state presence. They focus too much on the presidency. The guy is also green as hell and not a good debater. Let him get experience.
Same could've been said about Trump. Trump had no real political experience and he SUCKED during his debates (He didn't debate, more than call names and shout "Wrong!" after his opponents made valid points against him).

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Same could've been said about Trump. Trump had no real political experience and he SUCKED during his debates (He didn't debate, more than call names and shout "Wrong!" after his opponents made valid points against him).

Never forget:

Look, having nuclear — my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart — you know, if you're a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I'm one of the smartest people anywhere in the world — it's true! — but when you're a conservative Republican they try — oh, do they do a number — that's why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune — you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we're a little disadvantaged — but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me — it would have been so easy, and it's not as important as these lives are — nuclear is powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what's going to happen and he was right, who would have thought? — but when you look at what's going on with the four prisoners — now it used to be three, now it's four — but when it was three and even now, I would have said it's all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don't, they haven't figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it's gonna take them about another 150 years — but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us.

Oct 31, 2017

And yet his poll numbers never deteriorated after the primary debates. Trump also had a well-defined message, to the point where if you compare Hillary's final ad to Trump's, one was meandering and the other knew exactly what it wanted to say.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Y'all need to understand nearly doing something and actually doing something are two different things.

While that's obvious, the importance or impact of one speaks nothing to nor negates the importance or impact of the other. And when situations allow, as they often do, things are more complicated than a win/lose binary.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Beto will win the primary if he runs, and he will be able to turn out a more energized base than just about any other Democratic candidate if he does. For that reason, I hope Obama told him to run

BeerMan

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
Beto is super neo liberal, pro Israel, pro Banking, and pro corporations.

This is how we got Trump. Sure he might be the best one to beat Trump, but I don't think someone like Beto is good for the future of the country, at all.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beto is super neo liberal, pro Israel, pro Banking, and pro corporations.

This is how we got Trump. Sure he might be the best one to beat Trump, but I don't think someone like Beto is good for the future of the country, at all.
In what way is he more pro israel than the average dem congress member/senator? As far as I have seen he is absolutely not outside the norm on the party on Israel whatsoever. That Beto, Kamala,, Obama, Biden, and co are all pretty much identical in their policy stances on Israel.

You are neeeeeeveeeeeeeer going to see an anti-Israel dem nominee for example, the Jewish vote is too significant of a part of their base for anyone to take a stark anti-Israel stance to survive a primary.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
His anti-PAC stance is what's important to me, as well as his progressive values he campaigns on. I'd be willing for some minor compromises on the PAC stance, but I hope he doesn't accept one.

His episode of Hardball @ University of Houston was amazing.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if someoens stance that to be a progressive they must be Bernie in their policy stances then you will never ever be happy. Because Bernie has no chance in hell at winning a nomination. If you torpedo Beto for not being "Bernie enough" then you don't get Bernie. You get Kamala or Klobuchar or Gillibrand (or Biden!) who are no more progressive than Beto.

It's a purity test no winnable candidate in 2020 will ever pass.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dems got nearly 9 million more votes in the 2018 midterms. If they run an inspritional candidate like Beto again, there is a good chance trump will lose the popular vote by 5 million + which should be enough to win states like Winsconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania.

With Florida and Ohio being lost causes, dems need to win all the other states and a guy who gets the emotions going could be a good candidate.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
He would be one hell of a candidate. If he isnt running for president, atleast run for VP with Harris.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The VP argument makes no sense to me, as VPs are best as attack dogs in a election or filling a demographic niche the main candidate does not. Beto doesn't fit that at all. He does the Obama-esque Hope/Change/Optimistic Inspiration thing. Which does not fit the mold of what a VP is useful for in a campaign at all. That message only works at the top of the ticket.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much. Beto"s record was worse than I originally thought so my support for him isnt as strong as it was a month ago. He still would be a decent president but his base would need to push him to the left on many issues.
well yeah that's the thing. I assumed Beto was a pretty progressive guy, but he just really isn't. Bernie Sanders is the most progressive candidate and there's no question about it. But I will say I'm glad he's running. If we get a centrist candidate, I hope it's Beto.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
well yeah that's the thing. I assumed Beto was a pretty progressive guy, but he just really isn't. Bernie Sanders is the most progressive candidate and there's no question about it.
Bernie is also one of the weakest potential nominees given recent polling (second only to Warren) which is a major reason most aren't going to really consider him.

Most Democrats are focused on beating Trump, not finding who passes a purity test.

Bernie is a complete nonstarter for the majority of the party. The African American base has so far been strongly against him due to his many gaffs and odd comments about race, you can't win a nomination without a decent chunk of the AA vote.

Bernie has made zero inroads there and if anything only hurt his standing more of late.

Bernie's weakness on racial issues has been his largest mistake and is what continues to doom his chances at winning any sort of national primary.

Last edited:

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
______ (thing I don't like for arbitrary reason) will cause Trump to win!!!!!!
America at large is not nearly as progressive as resetera wants it to be. A moderate Democrat stands a much better chance of taking the country back. Looking forward to your reasoned rebuttal. Maybe add even more exclamation points to further cement your assertions, for good measure.

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like people here are both forgetting the importance of winning this election and underestimating the ability that Trump holds to win re-election. With what's at stake from 4 more years of Trump (with a possibility of Pence taking over), even if Beto is not a "perfect" candidate for some on here, he is a solid liberal, a progressive, and has the best chance of generating the excitement needed to win the election. Turning Texas into a battleground state shows just how effective he is at turning out voters in such a divided time, and the message he relays is one that is effective on undecided and independents. Despite him being rather Green, I think he can be effective if he builds the right cabinet and picks a seasoned Senator as a VP. There are other great candidates out there, but none of them give me the same confidence as Beto does I actually securing an electoral victory.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
America at large is not nearly as progressive as resetera wants it to be. A moderate Democrat stands a much better chance of taking the country back. Looking forward to your reasoned rebuttal. Maybe add even more exclamation points to further cement your assertions, for good measure.
Well the anti-Beto people in the thread are currently complaining that he is not progressive enough and too "centrist", so you really need to line up your ducks on what Beto is or isn't.
Is he too progressive and thus will lose to Trump, or is he too centrist and thus will lose to Trump?

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie is also one of the weakest potential nominees given recent polling (second only to Warren) which is a major reason most aren't going to really consider him.

Most Democrats are focused on beating Trump, not finding who passes a purity test.

Bernie is a complete nonstarter for the majority of the party.
Idk what polling you're referring to.

Oct 28, 2017
Beto would win simply on the fact that he doesn't look like he's on the verge of death.

Y'all forget just how shallow the average American voter is

He's got that JFK/Obama appeal

Let them fight

BUNTING1243

Oct 25, 2017
The OP should probably include that Obama has also met with Warren, Sanders, and a couple other potential 2020 Dems.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie has roughly 0% at the nomination because he continues to make tone deaf comments about race. African Americans are a central part of the primary vote and it is impossible to win a national primary when that base is actively opposed to you as a candidate.

Idk what polling you're referring to.
There was one that included other candidates that I can't find right now since it was over a week ago but here is an example of one showing him weaker than Biden (a *gasp* moderate!) in Ohio:
https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1068592489009958912

Being the most pure liberal who passes a perfect purity test score is not the most electable strategy.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Wait now Beto is too progressive? I can't keep up with this thread.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Well the anti-Beto people in the thread are currently complaining that he is not progressive enough and too "centrist", so you really need to line up your ducks on what Beto is or isn't.
Is he too progressive and thus will lose to Trump, or is he too centrist and thus will lose to Trump?
Believe it or not, disparate posters on this forum are individuals with their own opinions. Anti-Beto posters are not a monolith; there aren't clandestine Beto hating rallies behind the scenes where such posters "line up their ducks." What a laughable assertion.
Wait now Beto is too progressive? I can't keep up with this thread.
You'll find that the typical resetera poster who shares that viewpoint is almost certainly not representative of the average American left leaning voter.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Believe it or not, disparate posters on this forum are individuals with their own opinions. Anti-Beto posters are not a monolith; there aren't clandestine Beto hating rallies behind the scenes where such posters "line up their ducks." What a laughable assertion.
Just pointing out your non-monolith has literally opposite criticisms of the same person.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the Beto hate clearly comes from Bernie fans scared and frustrated Beto is going to swoop in and steal Bernies base despite not being as "progressive" so its an easy mistake to make.

Oct 25, 2017

Yes that is the proper conclusion after the midterms where the D vote definitely did not get more progressive and more diverse. That same D coalition also didn't get close to a Presidential turnout and didn't win independents in large numbers. Nope, need to be more moderate.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Hmm well if you think Beto is too progressive for America, your best bet is to make sure you are a registered Republican so you can vote for a more centrist candidate to primary Trump because, pretty much all the Dem candidates are going to have similar positions this cycle. Some minor differences, but, not by much.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie has roughly 0% at the nomination because he continues to make tone deaf comments about race. African Americans are a central part of the primary vote and it is impossible to win a national primary when that base is actively opposed to you as a candidate.

There was one that included other candidates that I can't find right now since it was over a week ago but here is an example of one showing him weaker than Biden (a *gasp* moderate!) in Ohio:
https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1068592489009958912

Being the most pure liberal who passes a perfect purity test score is not the most electable strategy.

Well yeah! lol but that's always been my point. Biden and Bernie are clearly the two frontrunners if your angle is "electability". But most people who say that don't really mean that since they're pushing for Corey Booker and Kamala Harris even as they consistently lose to Trump in these early polls. That is, they were pushing for Kamala and Booker before Beto became a sensation. Okay Bernie only beats Trump by a point in Ohio; my bet is all the other candidates do worse than that.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Rather than risk him losing the primaries and being a two-time loser (I mean that in the most literal sense), let him run for a statewide office in Texas."

Democrats need to recognize the value of establishing a strong state presence. They focus too much on the presidency. The guy is also green as hell and not a good debater. Let him get experience.

Off the top of my head, the Democrats won seven or eight important gubernatorial races in 2018. What makes you think they don't realize this?

Also, Beto has served in Congress since 2013 and was on a local city council before that. I'm not sure why having him run again would be the play. Have the primaries decide what people want, that's what they're for.

Well yeah! lol but that's always been my point. Biden and Bernie are clearly the two frontrunners if your angle is "electability". But most people who say that don't really mean that since they're pushing for Corey Booker and Kamala Harris. That is, before Beto became a sensation. Okay Bernie only beats Trump by a point in Ohio; my bet is all the other candidates do worse than that.

Ohio has turned from blue to purple to red in a few years. I don't think concentrating on it is the play. Arizona is more in play than Ohio at this point based on the polling numbers I've seen.

BeerMan

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
In what way is he more pro israel than the average dem congress member/senator? As far as I have seen he is absolutely not outside the norm on the party on Israel whatsoever. That Beto, Kamala,, Obama, Biden, and co are all pretty much identical in their policy stances on Israel.

You are neeeeeeveeeeeeeer going to see an anti-Israel dem nominee for example, the Jewish vote is too significant of a part of their base for anyone to take a stark anti-Israel stance to survive a primary.

Its not about being starkly critical of Israel, its about not being a complete tool of Israel. There is a spectrum, where you can be closer to HW Bush, Bernie or even Obama himself. Bernie actually was a little critical of our relationship to Israel and our dealings with the Palestinians. He also made it clear he is not a tool or a bought man. He did not bow to AIPAC. He almost won the primary.

Obama, was well okay. Not great but not a tool for Israel. Just look up everything that happened under his admin. He tried and confronted Netanyahu. I mean, it wasn't adequate. But he tried.

I mean, why do you think we had the Iran deal? Also Obama didn't have much Jewish vote support in America, in the first election for the very reason he was viewed as someone who actually had some support for Palestine, as he was on record for supporting in the past. Israel and Obama had a terrible relationship, for the little nudging Obama did. Netanyahu and Obama hated each other.

Look, Beto might be the best man to beat Trump. And I would obviously encourage my family to vote for him if he ran against Trump. But the dude voted against Obama banking regs. After the financial crisis, doing so is inexcusable. Not a good sign. Not asking for perfect purity, but that's pretty bad.

DTC

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of people calling Beto "centrist" is mindboggling. Dude's not a centrist at all. He ran a very bold campaign for a democratic candidate in Texas.

I guess he is in the center of the dem party? But the dem party is definitely fairly progressive now.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yes that is the proper conclusion after the midterms where the D vote definitely did not get more progressive and more diverse. That same D coalition also didn't get close to a Presidential turnout and didn't win independents in large numbers. Nope, need to be more moderate.
Democrats swept the midterms, but there was no grand universal success among highly progressive democrats, if I'm remembering correctly.

Also, merely stating that there is likely insufficient widespread progressive support to win a presidential election over a more moderate Democrat doesn't make one a "Beto hater" lol
Would it blow your mind if I told you I voted for Beto here in Houston? I'm far from a "hater," and the fact that any skepticism whatsoever gets one labeled as such displays the stark lack of nuance in many discussions on this board.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah! lol but that's always been my point. Biden and Bernie are clearly the two frontrunners if your angle is "electability". But most people who say that don't really mean that since they're pushing for Corey Booker and Kamala Harris even as they consistently lose to Trump in these early polls. That is, they were pushing for Kamala and Booker before Beto became a sensation. Okay Bernie only beats Trump by a point in Ohio; my bet is all the other candidates do worse than that.
I cant find it right now since it was a little while back but there was a poll that had Kamala polling better against Trump than Bernie.

D-Volt

Jan 31, 2018
I've been keeping my eyes on a possible Klobuchar-O'Rourke (or vise-versa) ticket for 2020. While it's nowhere near as progressive as I'd personally like and with two white people it lacks diversity, I think it's a strong ticket to run with.

Beto appeals to conservatives disenchanted with a GOP under Trump, independents, and Obama Democrats. Klobuchar is well liked by all her colleagues in the Senate and has a personality that I believe contrasts well with Trump. Minnesota niceness vs. New York brashness might be the fight we need.

Of course Klobuchar was a corporate lawyer and voted for military intervention in Libya, while Beto holds similarly pro-corporate positions. No one said it was perfect.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its not about being starkly critical of Israel, its about not being a complete tool of Israel. There is a spectrum, where you can be closer to HW Bush, Bernie or even Obama himself. Bernie actually was a little critical of our relationship to Israel and our dealings with the Palestinians. He also made it clear he is not a tool or a bought man. He did not bow to AIPAC. He almost won the primary.

Obama, was well okay. Not great but not a tool for Israel. Just look up everything that happened under his admin. He tried and confronted Netanyahu. I mean, it wasn't adequate. But he tried.

I mean, why do you think we had the Iran deal? Also Obama didn't have much Jewish vote support in America, in the first election for the very reason he was viewed as someone who actually had some support for Palestine, as he was on record for supporting in the past. Israel and Obama had a terrible relationship, for the little nudging Obama did. Netanyahu and Obama hated each other.

Look, Beto might be the best man to beat Trump. And I would obviously encourage my family to vote for him if he ran against Trump. But the dude voted against Obama banking regs. After the financial crisis, doing so is inexcusable. Not a good sign. Not asking for perfect purity, but that's pretty bad.
None of this explains how Beto is more pro-Israel than Obama, Kamala, Gillibrand, Biden, etc....because he absolutely is not.