• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
What publishers did Sony buy back then?
Psygnosis the small studios who probably published less games than LimitedRun? How many games did they published on Nintendo/Sega consoles anyway?

If Xbox did it 20 years ago it would be perceived differently too…

Microsoft started something with Bethesda and ABK.
Not Apple, not Google, not Amazon or somebody else.

Xbox players won 0 IPs with Bethesda and ABK being exclusive.
But there will be an acquisition race in the future and Xbox players will lose IPs too in the process.
There will only be losers compared to the end of last gen.
Sony was trying to force Xbox out of the market at the start of this gen just like how they helped to force Sega out of the market when they bought exclusivity for GTA, FF, Sports Games in the late 90s. You think them spending money, preventing games from being on other platforms is good for the market? This has been going on for years

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How many games did they published on Nintendo/Sega consoles?

If Xbox did it 20 years ago it would be perceived differently too… not after 4 gens in the console space.

But there will be an acquisition race in the future and Xbox players will lose IPs too in the process.
A large percentage of the 25 million Game Pass subscribers are probably happy that they no longer have to pay $70 for the new Call of Duty, Elder Scrolls, DOOM, Diablo, etc.. games.

Oct 27, 2017
People talked way too much shit on gamers thinking Starfield was coming to PS5 to turn around and start talking about how Uncle Phil is totally going to let ABK workers have the union they're trying to create.

If Phil Spencer was interested in meaningful change at ABK he would've actually wielded his position to put pressure on the board to oust Kotick and clean house. But he didn't. He used the ongoing bad publicity brought on by disgruntled and striking workers to consolidate a massive section of the games industry under Xbox. And his big move will be to try to clean house and also union bust so neither side in the current conflict holds any power anymore.

I'm not sure what Starfield has to do with unions but maybe you're referencing something I missed.

I don't think MS wants unions since that's a completely new thing for them BUT I don't think that is a firm red line for them.

It's widely known that gaming employees are underpaid relative to their skill set and a lot of them feel the need to leave the industry for more lucrative jobs. I think the mass exodus from Infinity Ward shortly before MW3 really shows how important it is to retain teams of talent during the long development cycles.

The way I see it, there's a few good reasons for MS to consider having unions:

• Helps retain talent through pay transparency and giving the best chance for fighting toxic workplace culture which is rampant in the games industry
  • Their current hiring process for permanent employees is already a bureaucratic nightmare
  • It keeps teams together which is important when you're working on big, multi-year creative products
The extra money they have to pay due to union negotiation seems like it wouldn't be a problem since that's something the games industry has to absorb anyways. The biggest downside for MS is that they don't know how to deal with unions so it adds an unknown risk of problems occurring or worst case scenario, a strike which might throw off release schedules.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Sony was trying to force Xbox out of the market at the start of this gen just like how they helped to force Sega out of the market when they bought exclusivity for GTA, FF, Sports Games in the late 90s. You think them spending money, preventing games from being on other platforms is good for the market? This has been going on for years
Yeah a lot of this consolidation is done partially due to Sony's dominance in the console gaming industry. The PS2 era in particular was not even competitive. That was just a Sony generation.

DJ88

Oct 26, 2017
It's insane how people who supposedly care so much about gaming are so fixated on MS "damaging" the industry that they completely ignore his comments about reviving old IPs.

Imagine all these studios that have slowly had the life drained out of them given the freedom to work on the projects they actually want to work on, and be funded properly, and not have the pressure of having to be giant commercial hits.

More games, bigger budgets, more enthusiasm from developers. How the fuck is that not extremely exciting to anyone who's a fan of games?

The quality of life and options we have today is ridiculous. You have access to a library of hundreds of games, from AAA day 1 releases to classics to indies, that you can play on a plethora of devices, that are accessible to a wider audience of people than ever before thanks to their breakthroughs in accessibility. And now the possibility of tons of dead and ignored franchises coming back is on the table. And for some of you fuckers none of that is enough to satisfy you lol.

Not even mentioning the quality of life improvements MS has been adding for the last few years like backwards compatibility, intelligent ways to give old games higher frame rates and HDR that require almost no extra work from developers, seamless cross saves that just work, quick resume, online cross play.

They've put their money where their mouth is time and time again. Yet fuckers still cling on to this notion that MS and Phil are fake and don't really care about gaming.

MS is in the business of making money just like any other company, but if you haven't realized they've begun doing it by knowing what keeps their audience happy and caring about pushing the industry forward, way more than an Amazon or a Google does, then idk what to fucking tell you.

Last edited:

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
So what this thread taught me: people care about the condition of Devs...unless of course them getting a better work environment means I can't play the games on my chosen plastic box! In that case feck the Devs!!!

Virtue signaling on Era is hilarious to me. Everyone decrying work conditions until the game they have been waiting to play is going to be a year or more late or launches incomplete. Then talk of "unfair work conditions" gives way to "developer incompetence," "unfair treatment of the gamer," or "take the developer's contract away or shut them down" if they can't produce a complete bug free game on time.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah a lot of this consolidation is done partially due to Sony's dominance in the console gaming industry. The PS2 era in particular was not even competitive. That was just a Sony generation.

The start of this gen was essentially reports of Sony going to every third party to toss money for exclusivity of some sort. What was the end game there if not to crush the competition??

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
The deal will absolutely be scrutinized by regulators, but I don't think it'll be held up even with Lina Khan at the FTC.

Kara Swisher and Andrew Ross Sorkin were interviewing Khan coincidentally as this news dropped, and she obviously can't answer any questions about it, but it was the backstory to a lot of this interview on Tuesday:

www.nytimes.com

Opinion | Exclusive: Lina Khan Is (Still) Bursting Big Tech’s Bubble (Published 2022)

The FTC Chair’s exclusive conversation with Kara Swisher and Andrew Ross Sorkin.

Kara Swisher
I'm Kara Swisher, and you're listening to "Sway." A special bonus episode of "Sway," in fact. My colleague Andrew Ross Sorkin and I just wrapped up a fiery interview with Lina Khan, the Federal Trade Commission chair. It was the chairwoman's first on-camera sit down since assuming the role, and she gave it exclusively to The New York Times and CNBC.

I spoke to Lina on "Sway" a while ago, before Biden won the election and before she got the big job. So I was excited to reconnect with her now, a year into the Biden administration and seven months into her new gig, to see whether, or how, she and the F.T.C. are going to ratchet back the power of big tech companies like Amazon, Google and Facebook, and to see how they're thinking about new mergers on the horizon— for example, Microsoft and Activision. Here's our conversation, taped this morning.

Andrew Ross Sorkin
We want to welcome Chair Khan for being here. So thank you.

Kara Swisher
Thank you so much.

Lina Khan
Thank you both. Great to be here.

Andrew Ross Sorkin
We're thrilled to be with you. We've been wanting— there's a million questions we have for you. But here's where we want to start, which is that this conversation is going to focus on your agency and the Department of Justice starting to rewrite this process of guidelines for mergers. And as we just mentioned, last year was such a big one for deals— nearly $6 trillion for the first time ever— and just yesterday, hours before you held a press conference to talk about all of this, Microsoft announced a massive transaction to acquire Activision Blizzard for nearly $70 billion. And Activision's C.E.O., Bobby Kotick, addressed the issue of competition and tie-ups on CNBC yesterday. I just want you to listen to this.

Archived Recording (Bobby Kotick)
And one of the motivations that we had for a partnership with Microsoft is the recognition of— it's a big market, but there's enormous amount of competition, whether it's Tencent, who has resources that are extraordinary and a global footprint, or Sony, or Facebook, or Amazon, or Apple, or Google, or Netflix, or Disney. When you think about the race for the metaverse and for more influence in gaming in the gaming ecosystem, we've now seen more competition than ever before.

Andrew Ross Sorkin
I want to start there. And I know you can't speak directly to this deal, but what's so interesting about this deal, and rethinking antitrust, is, here you have a big technology company in Microsoft going into an industry that's pretty fractured, and traditionally probably wouldn't get looked at by antitrust regulators in the way that two big companies coming together might, given the scale. But you're rethinking how all of this works. And so I— again, without necessarily speaking to this deal itself, how you think about a big tech company maybe going after a smaller company where you might not have monopoly power in the traditional sense, but maybe under some of the new metrics, you could.

Lina Khan
Yeah, this is a phenomenally important issue, and one that both agencies have been studying, in part because it's not new, right? It's something that we've seen for the last two decades, where the top five tech firms have made hundreds of acquisitions, many of which fell beneath the radar. The F.T.C., under my predecessor, initiated a study of these acquisitions to try to understand what did we miss, and what can we be learning to make sure that we are identifying accurately what types of deals may be illegal, even if they're not mapping onto the traditional way that we might have been looking at this? And that's really what our process to potentially revise the merger guidelines in tandem with D.O.J. is all about.

The laws on the books— Congress, in 1914, said, "Mergers that may substantially lessen competition or tend to create a monopoly are illegal." What that means in practice is going to change depending on the economy, the market conditions. And as we've seen the growth of new technologies, the market dynamics have changed. And so we need to make sure that the tools we're using, the frameworks we're using, the questions that we're asking, are actually still mapping onto the reality that we're seeing in these markets, and that's what our process is all about.

Kara Swisher
You started with 1914, which was a long time ago, if I can do my math correctly, and the changes in how this shifts— a lot of these companies have been providing things that are free to people. If you noticed, Bobby Kotick just said the word "competition" several times. He threw in "metaverse" for good measure. When I was talking to people about this deal yesterday, they kept saying "distant third," "competitive," often they'd say things like "China." They mentioned China several times, a global environment.

When you're thinking about these merger guidelines, are you thinking about this big tech expanding its tentacles to maintain dominance? Because they can do that as they shift and move, almost like a board to wherever they want to go.

Lina Khan
Look, it's a big question, and it's also not a new question, right? The Justice Department's landmark antitrust case against Microsoft was about this exact same dynamic, right? Microsoft had captured control over the operating system, and the reason it was able to maintain that dominance is because there was this— what was known as the application's barrier to entry, right? Operating systems, in order to be desirable, the consumers needed to have a base level of application. So there was a chicken and egg problem.

Here come along Java, Netscape, that threatened to loosen that dominance, because they provided an alternative platform on which you could have apps, and that's why Microsoft was threatened. So the Justice Department's case was alleging that the moves that Microsoft made were really designed to maintain its monopoly in the operating system, through kind of stifling these rivals. And so I think those are the same kinds of questions we need to be asking today, especially as we see the advent of new technologies of potentially alternative platforms.

I think whenever you see potential moments of transition, that's when enforcers need to be especially vigilant, because that's when incumbents often panic, and realize that to stay relevant, to stay dominant, you know, they may have to engage in tactics that ultimately end up being illegal.

Andrew Ross Sorkin
But when do you jump in? And I think that part of it— and you can look at Facebook, now Meta, in a way, when they made the Instagram acquisition. Now, they clearly were big in one space, didn't necessarily have a foothold in this other space. There were some people who thought that was going to be a failure of a merger in the end. And yet obviously, today you look back with hindsight and they had great success— arguably, in certain cases, maybe too much success.

And so the question is, when is the regulator supposed to say, this could work. And if it works, it's actually worked too well.

Lina Khan
It's an interesting question. And I think, for enforcers, the real question is, is this a deal that could lessen competition? And in hindsight—

Andrew Ross Sorkin
But don't all deals to some degree— all deals, to some degree, are going to lessen competition.

Lina Khan
Yes, substantially lessen competition, or tend to create a monopoly. And there's also indication that Congress wanted enforcers not just to act when the third and fourth companies are merging, or the first and second, but actually in the incipiency. When you see trends towards concentration, that those can also be important moments for enforcers to jump in. We— the F.T.C. has a lawsuit currently against Facebook, in part alleging that the Instagram and WhatsApp acquisitions were unlawful, that those also were designed to maintain its monopoly— in part because, as the lawsuit alleges, there was this moment of transition to mobile, and Facebook saw that it wasn't up to the task and it really needed to make this acquisition to survive that transition.

In hindsight, I think, looking back, looking at the documents, looking at the evidence that was available, now the agency was able to determine, that was an illegal transaction. But I think part of this process of revising the merger guidelines, of doing these studies to understand what did we miss, the goal of that is to help us answer precisely that question.

(it's a long, great interview and I can listen to Lina Khan talk all day, she's brilliant and the best, and she's being interviewed by the best here too so it's like PB&J)

Regulators will absolutely be scrutizing the deal, they can't not, it's Microsoft's biggest acquisition ever, and Microsoft is famously one of the few companies that the Feds slapped down 25 years ago. But, even under the far more tech-critical Khan and Tim Wu in the Biden Admin (compared to those in the Trump, Obama, and GW Bush administrations/FTC/FCC), I don't think the deal would be held up much in Washington, and by our understanding of anti-trust, it doesn't violate anti-trust. Even in the interpretation of anti-trust from a century ago, it wouldn't be. Microsoft will benefit a bit by being #3 in the industry, behind Tencent and Sony, and they benefit from this transaction being an entirely domestic transaction. If Tencent was buying AB it'd get far, far more scrutiny. I think if it's Facebook making the purchase there'd be a lot of scrutiny as well, even with Facebook not being a traditional gaming company, there is friction among regulators who want to re-evaluate the Facebook acquisition of Instagram, and Facebook is not a popular company in Washington today, where as comparatively, Microsoft is. Likewise I think that Amazon would get more scrutiny as well, probably more than Microsoft, probably less than Facebook, and less than an international company. When Microsoft was charged with anti-trust violations 25 years ago, they represented something like 90%+ of the home and work PC market, so when that market leader did something that made it impossible for competition to bubble up organically, they were more open to regulation from the Feds. Microsoft isn't in that position in the gaming industry, by revenue, sell through, software sales, size, or any other metric, they just don't match up, so today is very different than 1998.

I think that two things can be true, that it's bad when two large companies consolidate, and exclusivity is bad for gaming, but that it's also not anti-trust or anti-competitive in an illegal way. You also have the reality that Activision-Blizzard was a good buy because of the horrible management of the company depressing the stock price, they're bought at a discount of what they would be without the scandals and the internal pressure from shareholders and employees on Kotick. I also don't really know how the deal is going to change some of the major franchises, either in the short term or long. Short term it seems likely that CoD remains multi-plat because of ongoing contracts, and I'm actually hoping it always stays multi-plat because it's better for the game itself, better for my own interests as a multi-platform player, and I suspect Microsoft would make way more money on software sales + MTX if they ship the game to ~20m consoles, rather than just ~8m consoles, or however the console sell thru rate breaks down, and then the perk on Xbox is that it's free with gamepass and you get bundled in MTX junk or something. Longer than 2 years out it's hard to say.

I hope that there aren't any more mergers, I hate exclusivity in general. I also wonder whether Sony will rush to make some acquisition. I think as fans/enthusiasts we all think there's going to be a tit for tat, but business wise I don't think it makes sense for Sony to acquire an EA, Ubisoft, Take2, and I'm not sure if the money is there either. I'm reminded of the mid-2000s when EA landed the NFL license, and then 2K/Take2 felt like they had to shoot a counter-shot, and they inked this horrible deal for the MLB license, which was basically done just to ice EA out of the MLB market, which was a small one, and it failed ... MLB 2K would stop being made while Take2 would still be paying royalties for a 3rd party exclusivity license that they weren't making use of, and MLB The Show could continue being made because it was a 1st/2nd party game, and now of course, MVP Baseball and MLB 2K don't exist, but MLB The Show does. Sony had a thriving sports lineup, but they were cautious about where they spent their money, and they let 2K and EA fight over exclusive licenses, waste a ton of money, and Sony Sports/989 just quietly exited the sports genre with the exception of one game. I kinda suspect Sony takes the cautious approach here, and doesn't try to pull a 2K to match Microsoft with some acquisition, and they also have time too, I suspect CoD has to still appear on Playstation for the foreseeable future due to previous contract requirements, BUT ALSO due to revenue that the game makes, AB and Microsoft don't want to lose that.

The result of those license wars in sports games from the 2000s is, today, there are no sports games. Sports gaming as a genre was just killed. It's not entirely because of licensing battles, but exclusive licensing contributed to the downfall of the genre... a genre that was on it's way down from the height in the late 90s to early 2000s, and is now basically a shell. While exclusive sports licensing didn't kill sports gaming, it was also another albatross around the neck of the genre. I think also the industry learned from that buying frenzy in 2006, it also preceded the major decline in the industry at the same time, ... not because of it, but a confluence of issues that grinded the industry down over those 4 years, followed up by the lengthy recession. It's a different environment today.

Perhaps naively, but optimistically, I'm hoping that Call of Duty stays on Playstation as well, you just get it on gamepass if you have an Xbox. Revenue wise, if Microsoft has to justify a $70b acquisition, they have to keep it on Playstation to maximize revenue. I think it's also just good for the game and the industry.

Last edited:

King_Britain

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The start of this gen was essentially reports of Sony going to every third party to toss money for exclusivity of some sort. What was the end game there if not to crush the competition??
It wasnt even to to get exclusivity in some cases as Sony were fine with games coming to PC, they were paying for games not to come to Xbox. Thats terrible for consumers and i'm glad the status quo is getting shaken up.

Tyrion33

Mar 17, 2021
How many games did they publish on Nintendo/Sega consoles?

If Xbox did it 20 years ago it would be perceived differently too… not after 4 gens in the console space.

Sony bought Psygnosis back then to « enter » the market.

They then promptly money hatted Final Fantasy, Tomb raider, Metal Gear, castlevania and multiple games away from Nintendo and Sega.

Sure the scope is smaller but it's like saying well he killed him with a knife whereas he killed him with a M3.

The end result and the intention are the same.
Business is business and you play with the cards that you have

Also because it was in the past that makes it ok ? No it just means people have moved on from
It which will be Same the with this acquisition.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
It wasnt even to to get exclusivity in some cases as Sony were fine with games coming to PC, they were paying for games not to come to Xbox. Thats terrible for consumers and i'm glad the status quo is getting shaken up.

Its why I struggle to get up in arms about it all, it all comes down to making the platform they own the best. Sony did it and clearly thought it would happen because they stated themselves they expected a 50 percent marketshare with the ps5. You dont buy exclusivity of everything coming out etc if you want a level playing field, you do that to make your platform the best no matter the cost.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I don't spend any time in PC threads on here, they are trolled/butt hurt opinions? Over what?

I don't really want to get into more metacommentary, but yes, there's lots of trolling in terms of the store wars, hardware pricing, and even just PC usage. Can't have a thread on any of those things without a bunch of console users jumping in to tell us how much they don't know shit about PC gaming.

That's all I'll say about that from here out.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Seems like a good chance Call Of Duty won't have yearly releases anymore and it will be cycled with Halo, Gears etc...

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Excellent interview. I'm very optimistic that this merger will not only work out well, but excited to see how their IP's and teams manage them going forward.

Really exciting times to be an Xbox fan. :)

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
It's insane how people who supposedly care so much about gaming are so fixated on MS "damaging" the industry that they completely ignore his comments about reviving old IPs.

Ya, that was my take away too. People will just write it off that he's just saying stuff to make people happy, but I don't believe they simply bought Activision to get Call of Duty exclusive. I fully believe they want to leverage their wealth of IPs to broaden their library rather than focus on the one that's the current money maker alone.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
That only holds up in so far as Microsoft is also a conglomerate (as is Sony), but that wasn't the point Phil made. His point was that those companies don't have any real interest or history in gaming. Microsoft was a game publisher for decades before Xbox
Even then, neither Sony nor Microsoft had any experience with the games industry before starting to become a part of it.
And right now Google, Amazon and Apple are at the same spot Microsoft was back then.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
This is so shortsighted. It isn't where this is headed at all. Where it's headed is that the corps with the biggest pockets (MS, Amazon, Apple) will own all the major publishers.

In the long run, that's what it'll be.

I feel like this was inevitable honestly. This is how most industries go, and the major publishers already gobbled up plenty of studios along the way. It's just the logical conclusion, and would remain so regardless of Microsoft (though this might have accelerated things)

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The bit about Toys for Bob has me grinning ear to ear. Please, please give them the reigns to Banjo-Kazooie!

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
Ya, that was my take away too. People will just write it off that he's just saying stuff to make people happy, but I don't believe they simply bought Activision to get Call of Duty exclusive. I fully believe they want to leverage their wealth of IPs to broaden their library rather than focus on the one that's the current money maker alone.
Everyone is so focused on Call of Duty, they are missing out on Acti-Blizz's other huge money maker - World of Warcraft.
WoW has been suffering for 2 expansions now with bad storylines and slow content output. Imagine a revitalized World of Warcraft again, and possibly on consoles. That is a huge deal IMO.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
Sony was trying to force Xbox (2 trillion $ company) out of this gen with what? 2x exclusive FF games, a series selling >80% on PS anyway? 😅

Sega blames themselves and not Sony for their failures. There is a french book about their story with some interviews, very entertaining. Don't know why some people on forums keep thinking otherwise.

I remember this story about GTA:
www.playstationlifestyle.net

GTA 3 was a Timed PlayStation Exclusive Because Microsoft Thought the Move from 2D to 3D Was Too Complicated for Rockstar - PlayStation LifeStyle

GTA 3 came to be a timed PlayStation 2 exclusive because Microsoft executives didn't believe Rockstar could transform the franchise from 2D to 3D.

Would love to read stories about sports deals? The FF was mostly a CD-Rom advantage. And also lower fees than Nintendo (Nintendo was knows for being a harsh partner back then. Like Sony was at first with indies on PS3).

But yes there was money being thrown from Sony, not going to deny that. But the money being thrown now at publishers vs what 1-2 console exclusives costs (or what Sony did 25 years ago) is ridiculous.

lol at all the "MS started it!!1" BS, no they didn't.
From all the GAFAM, just saw 1 throw billions at publishers. 🤷🏻‍♂️

just to make it clear: as a gamer I don't like where this is heading. We will end up buying 3-5 devices if everyone starts buying publishes left and right…

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never in my life I have seen so many people defend a executive/CEO like people defend Phil Spencer. Actually maybe Elon Musk lol

May 14, 2021
Sony bought Psygnosis back then to « enter » the market.

They then promptly money hatted Final Fantasy, Tomb raider, Metal Gear, castlevania and multiple games away from Nintendo and Sega.

Sure the scope is smaller but it's like saying well he killed him with a knife whereas he killed him with a M3.

The end result and the intention are the same.
Business is business and you play with the cards that you have

Also because it was in the past that makes it ok ? No it just means people have moved on from
It which will be Same the with this acquisition.
All Nintendo did was double down on making games Sony couldn't moneyhat, and now they own Japan.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I remember about a month ago there was like a 10+ page thread about Phil "vandalizing" Xbox controllers because he signed the inside of a battery cover on the 20th anniversary controllers.

Some posters here really take things to the extreme when it comes to Xbox and Phil. He is a legit fan of the industry; exec or not. The guy plays more Destiny than Bold One does.
He's not even Dredgen.

3fsUJSc.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for protecting us Papa Spencer from the bad guys at Google and Amazon and for taking advantage of a shitty situation employees were going through in order to further consolidate the industry.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
I don't really want to get into more metacommentary, but yes, there's lots of trolling in terms of the store wars, hardware pricing, and even just PC usage. Can't have a thread on any of those things without a bunch of console users jumping in to tell us how much they don't know shit about PC gaming.

That's all I'll say about that from here out.

I wasn't expecting it to be console users doing the trolling, I was expecting it to be more PC users and intel amd stuff. Appreciate the info though, thanks.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Sony was trying to force Xbox (2 trillion $ company) out of this gen with what? 2x exclusive FF games, a series selling >80% on PS anyway? 😅

I don't think the argument was that Sony were trying to create a situation where Microsoft literally could not afford to stay in the Xbox business, because that's very obviously stupid. Microsoft could "afford" to run a chain of stores that sell nothing but fake rubber vomit until the heat death of the universe if they wanted to.

However what they WERE clearly doing, was leveraging their dominant market position going into the generation, to lock down exclusivity for a bunch of popular franchises and at minimum try to expand their advantage. If you're Sony, that's just smart business. Shrewd business moves expressly made (or attempted) at the expense of fans of those games on other platforms. Full stop. And I expect them to continue with this strategy.

Now if you want to say that this is a whole other scale of "exerting influence" in the industry, or that you disagree with the concept of corporate consolidation or this deal specifically, I completely understand. I have concerns of my own. Same goes for anyone who is simply disappointed or upset at any of these games no longer being on their platform of choice. What annoys me are people flinging around arguments dripping in disingenuousness.

How about make deals to get these games on gamepass then and allow others to pay 70 dollars to play?

Well the obvious answer is that the economics are completely different when you're the one who owns and publishes the game, versus paying Activision a dollar amount they consider acceptable to put the newest CoD on Game Pass and forego those millions of $70 purchases for the best selling game in the world.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
That tweet is certainly appropriately vague. Good guy Phil is still the CEO...its very much like the feigned bi-partisan ship quotes from politicians where if things go south they can blame it on the other party as PR for their own business.

"We had good conversations with Sony but in the end we couldn't agree on terms"

Oct 25, 2017
Going by Phil's words on Call of Duty today, that may be exactly what happens. But it's still cryptic.

I hope this is what happens, but I don't have a lot of faith.

Well the obvious answer is that the economics are completely different when you're the one who owns and publishes the game, versus paying Activision a dollar amount they consider acceptable to put the newest CoD on Game Pass and forego those millions of $70 purchases for the best selling game in the world.

I guess you're right, this way they don't have to negotiate with anyone.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017

It's hardly just a couple of moneyhats though. Sony have been signing exclusivity deals relentlessly all last generation, and they've done them largely unanswered as a result of both Xbox having a weaker market position making it cheaper for them to do, but also because the practice of signing them is widely accepted for them, but not for MS.

There's a reason why something like Final Fantasy sells so disproportionately on PlayStation... it's because these exclusivity deals reinforce (or in some cases disrupt) audiences on a given platform, and as time goes on that becomes more difficult to undo. Sony's had Final Fantasy in their corner for a long time now, going back to Final Fantasy 7, but the series DID eventually come to Xbox day and date beginning with Final Fantasy XIII, and was starting to cultivate an audience within that ecosystem that had a desire to play JRPGs. That Final Fantasy 7 Remake got moneyhatted (for what is still an uncertain length of time in regards to Xbox) isn't a random coincidence. This type of moneyhat is a precisely targeted one to cause an entire genre of game not be viable on the platform.

There are some IP that within their sphere carry so much weight that they cause ripple effects across the genre. Sony's Street Fighter V moneyhat effectively buried the entire fighter genre on Xbox, because nobody invested in that genre was going to opt for a console that lacked Street Fighter.. and as a result other titles that weren't (or at least I'm not aware of being) moneyhats would start to skip the console also, because if nobody that's invested in that genre is opting for that console, why should the smaller, more niche IP target that console either, right?

So yes... timed exclusives very much can be used to push a competing platform out of the market, and Sony was routinely targeting games that would be the most crippling across the spectrum. Whether that be Final Fantasy (and possibly Persona?) in the JRPG space, Street Fighter in the fighting game space, the year (or two) long exclusive content deals for Destiny, and the exclusive map content for COD in the FPS space, etc... the goal was to make it so Xbox as a platform wasn't a viable choice for the majority of the market. And quite frankly, it was working and working well... hence the situation in 2016 where MS bowing out of the market entirely was a very real possibility.

When that didn't occur, Sony looked to land killer blows right away at the start of this generation. Hence the announcement of Final Fantasy XVI's timed exclusivity ahead of the consoles being released, and the murmurs of a whole slew of others to be revealed in time. And the general response here was just that it was a foregone conclusion that PS5 would just continue to build on PS4's momentum largely unimpeded. And considering the shit MS took back in 2015 when they dared to land a single comparable exclusivity deal with Rise of the Tomb Raider, that avenue of retaliation was clearly not available to them. Look how quick the clarification of the duration of exclusivity of RoTR was forced out of MS and SquareEnix, and then contrast that with Crash N'Sane Trilogy, Nier Automata, Final Fantasy 7R, KOTOR remake... or any of countless other deals where their eventual Xbox release was happily left vague as hell. That's how we're here today, because MS were either gonna commit fully and land some true heavy blows that made a real difference to the current landscape, or they were inevitably going to see their platform marginalised to the point where they had to drop out.

If people didn't want to see the level of escalation we're seeing now today... well, they shouldn't have been so comfortable commending the ever increasing frequency and severity of deals Sony was making to cripple their primary competition. "Final Fantasy sells 80%+ on PlayStation anyways, so they may as well" and by extension "of course it makes sense for game X to skip Xbox, because the audience is all on PlayStation". Well, congrats... now they won't all be. The rampant desire for the glory days of PS2-era domination has led us here, and so cries about how unfair it is ring hollow.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
The hyperbolic doomsday prophecies of Microsoft "destroying gaming" and "ruining the industry" do get a sensible chuckle out of me.

A lot of people couldn't care less about the industry itself and are telling on themselves because it literally takes a couple seconds to realize that consolidation isn't a new concept that was all of a sudden introduced with Microsoft's acquisitions of Bethesda and Activision/Blizzard. It's very performative.

Hopefully what comes out of this is Activision/Blizzard's talent being able to achieve the autonomy they desire and the culture surrounding these companies being tackled root and stem in order to finally provide suitable working environments free from abuse. That is the most important thing I hope results from this M/A beyond the games, exclusivity or anything else.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Phil is already mentioning Hexen. I like where this is going…

It would be cool if they could give the old Heretic and Hexen games the same treatment Doom and Quake got recently. Ports to everything with mod support.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going by Phil's words on Call of Duty today, that may be exactly what happens. But it's still cryptic.

"Obviously I can't sit here and say every Bethesda game is [an Xbox] exclusive, because we know that's not true," he explained. "There's contractual obligations that we're going to see through. We have games that exist on other platforms and we're going to go and support those games on the platforms they're on. There's communities of players - we love those communities and will continue to invest in them - and even in the future there might be...either contractual things or legacy on different platforms that we'll go do."

"But if you're an Xbox customer," Spencer continued, "the thing I want you to know is this is about delivering great exclusive games for you that ship on platforms where Game Pass exists. And that's our goal, that's why we're doing this, that's the root of this partnership that we're building - and the creative capability we'll be able to bring to market for Xbox customers is going to be the best it's ever been for Xbox after we're done here."

I'm going to nail this to the damn forum's metaphorical wall at this point.

This is playing out exactly like Bethesda.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Obviously I can't sit here and say every Bethesda game is [an Xbox] exclusive, because we know that's not true," he explained. "There's contractual obligations that we're going to see through. We have games that exist on other platforms and we're going to go and support those games on the platforms they're on. There's communities of players - we love those communities and will continue to invest in them - and even in the future there might be...either contractual things or legacy on different platforms that we'll go do."

"But if you're an Xbox customer," Spencer continued, "the thing I want you to know is this is about delivering great exclusive games for you that ship on platforms where Game Pass exists. And that's our goal, that's why we're doing this, that's the root of this partnership that we're building - and the creative capability we'll be able to bring to market for Xbox customers is going to be the best it's ever been for Xbox after we're done here."

I'm going to nail this to the damn forum's metaphorical wall at this point.

This is playing out exactly like Bethesda.
I was actually in complete agreement with you until Phil stated that MS has a "desire to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation".

They never said anything like that during the Bethesda acquisition.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
I would imagine "Desire" means there's a concession they need from Sony to keep it on their platform.

Whether that's allowing them to swap to an Xbox login, or reworking the marketing deal, or Sony agreeing to no longer get a cut of mtx, or something.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would imagine "Desire" means there's a concession they need from Sony to keep it on their platform.

Whether that's allowing them to swap to an Xbox login, or reworking the marketing deal, or Sony agreeing to no longer get a cut of mtx, or something.
Whatever it is, it will most likely lead to either gamepass on PS or a bigger slice of the pie towards MS.