Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I genuinly dislike people being like "this game wouldnt exist without Sony".

Nah. SE was making AAA JRPGs just fine since forever ago. I am willing to bet money on the fact SE regrets this deal and would love to put it on Xbox. Hell they can't even put it on PC Day 1.

And we are talking about goddamn FF7 here. The game people memed on as "break glass in case of emergency".

PhillyPaw

Banned
Apr 11, 2021
Makes since. Nintendo has weak hardware, and a good amount of Xbox users are gamepass or bust, not to mention historically have not done well with RPGs. PS5/PC made the most sense for both parties. Sony gets exclusives and Square has the advantage of developing for 1 console while also getting support from Sony

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
They buy publishers but keep games multiplatform.

I sincerely doubt it is out of the kindness of their heart.

Square-Enix in particular isn't exactly known for their business sense. They sold Tomb Raider, along with 50 IPs and 3 game studios to Embracer Group for $300 million USD. Embracer then went and leased the Tomb Raider IP alone to Amazon for $600 million USD about a year later. I mean holy shit that sounds hilarious if the reports are true.

giphy.gif

Pros.
Sony: Having a GoTY exclusive to their platform = attract more users. Greater talking point and a better library you can't find anywhere else.
SE: Receiving an upfront payment to secure some safety on an expensive development. Bigger marketing budget.

Cons.
A few Xbox users won't be able to buy it.

That's all there is to it really.

Yeah there's definitely an appeal to authority going on with a lot of industry developments.

There was that dumb thread the other week that basically amounted to: "It doesn't make sense for Sony to put their games on PC day-1 because if it did they would already be doing it." As if Sony Corp is clairvoyant and not composed of pencil pushers and bean counters just like every other business.

Square-Enix in particular isn't exactly known for their business sense. They sold Tomb Raider, along with 50 IPs and 3 game studios to Embracer Group for $300 million USD. Embracer then went and leased the Tomb Raider IP alone to Amazon for $600 million USD about a year later. I mean holy shit that sounds hilarious if the reports are true.
Mate your forgetting just how expensive all the Square Enix western studios were.

They were money pits for years and never made much profit for Square as time went on.

Just cause Amazon put up that money doesn't equal that they will make that money back.

So just acting like Square is dumb I wouldn't act like Embracer (which lol is a huge shit show) is smart considering Eidos/the IP isn't closed is due to Amazon investing atm and that can change based on performance.

Along with the idea Embracer is struggling due to a long shot deal to get investment from SA

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like there will be a whirlwind of "square shot themselves in the foot" when they inevitably release a port years down the line

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Irrelevant. Buying publishers by proxy prevents your competitor from money hatting major franchises. That's the point.

Well, considering the publisher and shareholders wanted to sell, it's just business. Paying money not to own something, but rather prevent a competitor from getting it, is a money hat.
Sony can't force SE to make FFVII exclusive lol. SE has to want to do it and approve it too. It's a dumb line in the sand we're drawing here.

The intent here is to either make one game exclusive vs making dozens of games and multiple studios exclusive. There are levels here and Xbox only recently decided to pivot from that, because they really had no choice.

When facing those choices, I'd rather just have the one game/franchise exclusive than convert and entire publisher than owns a bunch of studios.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
We are talking about an AAA open world game with 92 Metacritic score. It should clear 10 million copies sold easily in the first year, if SE didn't mismange their brand so terribaly by limiting its audience.
That seems extremely ambitious. Have there been any sales updates since release yet or would that be tomorrow after the one week mark?

Sony can't force SE to make FFVII exclusive lol. SE has to want to do it and approve it too. It's a dumb line in the sand we're drawing here.
You're conflating someone paying for content that they don't own to someone paying to own the content. These are not the same. If it's the first, it's a money hat. If it's the latter, then they own the content and can do whatever they want with it.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Pros-
Sony: having a GoTY exclusive to their platform - attract more users. Greater talking point and better library you can't get anywhere else.
SE: getting a payment (upfront?) to secure some safety on an expensive development. Bigger marketing budget.
Cons: a few Xbox users won't be able to buy it.
A few...hundred thousand. On the low end.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
That seems extremely ambitious. Have there been any sales updates since release yet or would that be tomorrow after the one week mark?
There have been none no. I thought we might get one today as XVI had its first sales PR (3 million) 6 days after release but alas nothing.

Per the few indicators of sales we have so far it has sold better than XVI, so I'd expect the first PR to either be 3.5 million or if it sold really well, 4 million.

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
Pros-
Sony: having a GoTY exclusive to their platform - attract more users. Greater talking point and better library you can't get anywhere else.
SE: getting a payment (upfront?) to secure some safety on an expensive development. Bigger marketing budget.
Cons: a few Xbox users won't be able to buy it.
Y'all are constantly making this a PS vs Xbox thing. There are no cons for Sony, sure. There have definitely been cons for SE and it doesn't involve Xbox.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
The funny thing is…they are wasting their money imo. Nobody is buying an Xbox specifically to play FF7, and the sales on Xbox would likely be pretty low based on past FF releases. Sony paying big bucks for barely any return I'd say.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I genuinly dislike people being like "this game wouldnt exist without Sony".

Nah. SE was making AAA JRPGs just fine since forever ago. I am willing to bet money on the fact SE regrets this deal and would love to put it on Xbox. Hell they can't even put it on PC Day 1.

And we are talking about goddamn FF7 here. The game people memed on as "break glass in case of emergency".

Big disagree. Square put this game into existence with their 2005 PS3 tech demo, and people were clamoring for it for years before they finally gave in. I doubt it exists today without that tech demo.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
There have been none no. I thought we might get one today as XVI had its first sales PR (3 million) 6 days after release but alas nothing.

Per the few indicators of sales we have so far it has sold better than XVI, so I'd expect the first PR to either be 3.5 million or if it sold really well, 4 million.
Thanks. I know it's in the millions, but how many I wasn't sure. Still, 10 million in a year would be crazy good if they can make that. It would almost equate to one in five PS5 consoles give or take (not counting future PS5 owners or eventual PC owners).

JSRF

"This guy are sick"
Aug 23, 2023
Do we know if Rebirth is doing EGS exclusivity again on PC?
We don't know, but hopefully EGS doesn't pull that again. I think that S-E would take the millions again if offered. It really depends on if EGS still wants to continue to pursue timed exclusivity for their storefront. This is probably one of the most attractive games they can secure for that strategy but I don't think it really moved the needle for them last time.

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
bad for the industry and bad for nintendo and xbox players, it should be everywhere as a 3rd party...

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
The foot just shot themselves in the Square

I don't know how much the rest of you know about polygons (I'm an expert), but returning to the point of origin is a huge part of it. It's not like it is in videogames where you can become successful by branching out in different planes. If you go multiplane in polygons, you are no longer Square, and the only way to become one is to foot the bill.

What this means is that Nintendo and Xbox after hearing about this, are not going to get FFVIIR to either system, nor will they foot any of the bills. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but the foot has alienated an entire market with this move.

Foot, stop shooting Square or the other systems will no longer foot the bill.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. I know it's in the millions, but how many I wasn't sure. Still, 10 million in a year would be crazy good if they can make that. It would almost equate to one in five PS5 consoles give or take (not counting future PS5 owners or eventual PC owners).
They won't make that with Rebirth. IIRC Remake after 3-4 years only sold 7 million, and that was with PS4/PS5 and PC.

MoogleMaestro

Oct 25, 2017
Sony paying big bucks for barely any return I'd say.

They both ensure that xbox "misses out" on one of the best releases of the year while also adding a delayed release window for PC to increase the value of playstation ownership.

Say what you will, but it is probably good business for Sony. I'd be more curious if the loss of pc sales is made up for in terms of square enix.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017

You're conflating someone paying for content that they don't own to someone paying to own the content. These are not the same. If it's the first, it's a money hat. If it's the latter, then they own the content and can do whatever they want with it.
We got an update in the UK that physical was 30 percent below Remake.

This game isn't selling 10m in a year. Remake still only sold 7m the last we heard, and that was fairly recently.

Not allowing this on Xbox or Nintendo seems like a mistake.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I would bet on Sony remaining aggressive on FF exclusives, and Square never seems to say no to a bag.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
We got an update in the UK that physical was 30 percent below Remake.

This game isn't selling 10m in a year. Remake still only sold 7m the last we heard, and that was fairly recently.

Not allowing this on Xbox or Nintendo seems like a mistake.
I think that was physical, which is mostly irrelevant, but people still like to report the numbers. 10 million just seems like a life-time total to me, but I don't usually keep track of FF game sales. And I'd agree, SE should be focused on growing their main franchise by putting it in a many places as possible. Every other major Japanese publisher does and they all seem to be doing way better with their major (and even minor like Persona) franchises.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
And people signing petitions to bring Helldivers 2 to Xbox lmao

Console temporary exclusives are bad enough, let alone complete exclusivity...

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox literally has spent 80 BILLION dollars buying 20 studios and publishers to create exclusive games based on properties that have always been multiplatform.
Without sidetracking this thread, many believe is they wanted a piece of that mobile gaming pie (Console gaming is a fraction).

Sony getting third party exclusivity is a pillar of their business model for decades. The price MS would have to pay to replicate that would have been insane due to the marketshare difference.

The gaming market is a shitshow all around, but if there is a silver lining it is looking like games will be released on more platforms that before.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really starting to wonder if kh4 will be exclusive. That would suck for a lot of ppl I know especially after they dumped the entire franchise on Xbox and hell Nintendo too(albeit terrible way)

darfox8

Nov 5, 2017
USA
Implying that Square-Enix couldn't/wouldn't develop and release a numbered Final Fantasy title (let alone a retelling of FF VII) without outside funding from a platform holder is absolute nonsense. It's the most mainstream, recognizable title they have. VII in particular has been broadly considered "easy money" among their lineup for the better part of three fucking decades.
I don't think it's nonsense at all. Otherwise they wouldn't have waited all of the PS3 generation and most of the PS4 generation to do it. It's an easy smash hit from a fans perspective but it's a huge endeavor from the dev's perspective. Heck just the idea of splitting the game up into multiple parts was a huge concession they decided to make, so that they can give the sections of the game the time they deserve. There's also huge creative risk in revisiting a classic and reinterpreting the characters and ruining people's opinion of the franchise. Big money from Sony 100% is a difference maker imo.

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth that's Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Third party exclusivity sucks. Sucks it won't be coming to xbox. I have been rushing through Rebirth in hopes it came to xbox, where i would have taken my time going for achievements.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I'm really starting to wonder if kh4 will be exclusive. That would suck for a lot of ppl I know especially after they dumped the entire franchise on Xbox and hell Nintendo too(albeit terrible way)
I guess it depends on the Disney cut. I'm not sure how it works with KH being owned by Disney but if it's too high I could see SE cutting a deal with Sony to mitigate costs.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal

That entire depends on the deal between Disney & Sony.

I guess it depends on the Disney cut. I'm not sure how it works with KH being owned by Disney but if it's too high I could see SE cutting a deal with Sony to mitigate costs.

SE has 0 say in Kingdom Hearts as an IP.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Exclusivity arguments here are always the same, circular and pointless, because a lot of the bluster over exclusivity is mostly disingenuous. A lot of folks in this community love to claim exclusives are some dated concept until a platform doesn't have any. Then its a lot of Playstation fan pants shitting over Sony's CEO announcing not having any "first party exclusives" until 2025 or xbox fans melting down over the mere thought of Starfield or Indiana Jones being on Playstation. And of course the goal post moving over what constitutes a "money hat" and which types of exclusives are acceptable or not (which usually amounts to "which are the ones my favorite company does?"). Oh see it's different cause buying a publisher isn't a money hat. Oh it's different because the developers needed the money. Oh its different because its a smaller game not AAA so it doesn't count.

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, what about all the mobile tie ins etc?
??they not on PlayStation either lol unfortunately. They mobile games. All the actual console games u can play on everything now(except steam)
That's what im wondering I dont think Disney has a problem with exclusives. I doubt it tho probably kh is a different ballpark than a ff

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
I was expecting this but nice to have confirmation now (even if the news suck).

I've muted so many words on twitter and ignored lots of threads on ERA to try to not get spoiled on Rebirth. The wait for the PC version sucks.