• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

"One of the cool things about it, is that it's all still live gameplay where you can control your character," game director Mike Daly said. "All those worlds that you're traveling through during those sequences are real, fully fleshed out worlds that you could just, like, stop and play in under other circumstances."

"As a studio, we were lucky enough to be one of the earlier developers who helped work with the new technologies as they were coming online," creative director Marcus Smith told The Post in a recent interview. "Something is changing here. We're not just talking about getting rid of loading screens, which is natural, but it enables us to do things at speeds that we've never, ever been able to do before."

Smith calls the quicker loading times a "paradigm shift" for the next generation. With "Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart," the game is able to load entire worlds in "less than a second," Daly said. It's also targeting 4K and 30 frames-per-second, and will include a performance mode, allowing players to experience the game at 60 frames-per-second, a first since 2009′s "Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time."

"There are strategic reasons to use one or the other," he said. "Another example of that is the burst pistol, where it can stay accurate if you fire it slowly or you can just pull the trigger all the way down to fire quickly and sacrifice that accuracy for rate of fire."

"Fans of the franchise are very invested in the story line that we have been building. The last time we built within that universe was in ['Into The Nexus']," Daly said. "We're sticking to that storyline mostly because that's the one that we were building to this entire time. The movie and the [2016] 'Ratchet & Clank' reboot, it was a retelling as told by Qwark, a character who's largely unreliable. So we figured we'd just stick with the much more reliable, canonical history that we'd been developing over time."

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Well that's one way to hand wave the negative feedback to the movie and it's tie in.

Everything about this one sounds fantastic they really are going all out.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
It's nice that the marketing for R&C is revving up. The team seems super proud of what they've done and the game is looking to be the showpiece for all of the PS5's new capabilities.

Sep 12, 2018
And they keep going with the false no load times narrative.

They already mentioned you can feel the rifts coming before they appear so the game is pre loading them and never allows you to jump anywhere you want at the flick of a switch so to speak and even once a rift is opened there is the entire animation playing before you enter the alternate world.

PS5 does not eliminate load times, greatly decreases them yes but it does not eliminate.

That is a physical impossibility for the foreseeable future.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I have never played a Ratchet & Clank game before and never felt compelled to check it out either. But Rift Apart looks so cool. Easily the most "nextgen"-looking game I've seen yet from either console. I think it really speaks to how good your game looks when someone like me can't wait to play it.

Long-running franchises like this can entice new players by creating a new point of entry, like God of War did. That sort of thing usually works on me. I like checking out a series offering a fresh start. I think it's really interesting that Ratchet & Clank technically had that with the movie tie-in but it's this new canonical entry I find so inspiring.

I think it also speaks to the effectiveness of the reveal trailer. They did an amazing job cutting that sequence.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder where Qwark got the idea that Ratchet was a vanilla do-gooder and not a sarcastic asshole

They already mentioned you can feel the rifts coming before they appear so the game is pre loading them and never allows you to jump anywhere you want at the flick of a switch so to speak and even once a rift is opened there is the entire animation playing before you enter the alternate world.

PS5 does not eliminate load times, greatly decreases them yes but it does not eliminate.

OK Captain Pedant, what's the difference between no load times and sub-2 second load times? Because from where I'm sitting, they are functionally the same damn thing. "Zero load times are impossible" yeah no shit but if the player isn't affected by them or never even notices they are happening, then whats the difference?

Last edited:

jxN3

Oct 3, 2018

We're just constantly going to move the goal post, eh?

This is a weird post.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
Beyond the amazing visuals, I can't wait to find out how these haptic feedback and triggers feel.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Wonder where Qwark got the idea that Ratchet was a vanilla do-gooder and not a sarcastic asshole
That's what I want to know. Still, doubling down on the Qwark retelling part of the PS4 game's story as a means of writing off the movie tie-in game from a narrative perspective is pretty clever.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Lol come on

Magnet

Oct 29, 2017

?

The dev is saying it can load worlds in less than a second, not that there is no load time: "Smith calls the quicker loading times a "paradigm shift" for the next generation. With "Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart," the game is able to load entire worlds in "less than a second," Daly said."

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
That's what I want to know. Still, doubling down on the Qwark retelling part of the PS4 game's story as a means of writing off the movie tie-in game from a narrative perspective is pretty clever.

Yeah im fine with the reboot being what it is, just trying to jam Ratchet into the Pixar/DreamWorks mold, but im very glad they are backing away from that

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I love the unreliable narrator angle, Quark is extremely unreliable.
XezUlbje.gif

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

"Worlds loaded in less than a second"
"they keep going with the false no load times narrative"

200.gif

If the user only sees a transition effect and your counterpoint is they're actually loading, it's just pre-loading, why exactly is that a distinction worth pointing out?

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

A one or two second load time is next to nothing especially compared to the 30 second plus waits you can have in tons of games.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
There isn't any new information here, but for Washington Post, and the people who would typically read it, it's a pretty informative piece.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017

Assets get loaded all the time in games and I mean all the time not just through the rifts. even when walking through levels and fighting enemies.

". We're not just talking about getting rid of loading screens" since we are doing pedantic here, they said loading screen. So no false load time claim like you say because last time I check those are not loading screens.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019

The part where they talk about the game's loading times is literally in the OP.

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
The poster is kind of on a crusade against the SSD. Always fun to read their retorts.
In fact there is under 1 second load time because its a narrative resource and they change suddenly all the polygons and textures. In open world games when you dont change all the visible geometry at once there wont be loading times. As you run for half a second or turn for half a second (as Cerny said) you will already have 4 new gigs of scenery loaded (with oodle compression more).

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"One of the cool things about it, is that it's all still live gameplay where you can control your character," game director Mike Daly said. "All those worlds that you're traveling through during those sequences are real, fully fleshed out worlds that you could just, like, stop and play in under other circumstances."

What does this Ratchet yellow bit even mean? It sounds like these are brief interstitials but they are making them sound like living, breathing worlds ... which I doubt very much. For all the time you see these worlds as you hop through portals I doubt they are as verdant as they're making it sound.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I have never played a Ratchet & Clank game before and never felt compelled to check it out either. But Rift Apart looks so cool. Easily the most "nextgen"-looking game I've seen yet from either console. I think it really speaks to how good your game looks when someone like me can't wait to play it.

Long-running franchises like this can entice new players by creating a new point of entry, like God of War did. That sort of thing usually works on me. I like checking out a series offering a fresh start. I think it's really interesting that Ratchet & Clank technically had that with the movie tie-in but it's this new canonical entry I find so inspiring.

I think it also speaks to the effectiveness of the reveal trailer. They did an amazing job cutting that sequence.
I'm in the same boat! Never had too much interest in the series till now even if I do really like Insomniac. I guess the cartoons style doesn't really appeal to me. I played through all the Resistance games and loved Spider-Man though. That's about to change though. I have PSNow so I will be playing through as much of the previous games as I can before this one.

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020

Even if the load times were precisely instantaneous, it would be a good design practice for pacing reasons to introduce some kind of short transition. See: establishing shots for a new scene in movies/TV. Seems like a strange nit to pick.

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
What does this Ratchet yellow bit even mean? It sounds like these are brief interstitials but they are making them sound like living, breathing worlds ... which I doubt very much. For all the time you see these worlds as you hop through portals I doubt they are as verdant as they're making it sound.
That you could fall from the dragon and walk in the scenery mountains because they are real geometry.

SpecDot

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

OK Captain Pedant, what's the difference between no load times and sub-2 second load times? Because from where I'm sitting, they are functionally the same damn thing. "Zero load times are impossible" yeah no shit but if the player isn't affected by them or never even notices they are happening, then whats the difference?
It's like the homie doesn't want this to be real. Almost rooting against people being excited for the possibility of what these new machines can bring forward.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I've never followed R&C, Sly & Cooper, and all those other Sony franchises, but the tech in this one makes me definitely interested. It could be my next-gen Knack. Which is a good thing.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
The more I hear about the game the more I am reminded at the time I bought a PS3, Ratchet ToD was one of my first games on it and my introduction to the series. I loved it, replayed multiple times, bought all other games on PS3 after that.

Hope they do a PS3 remake collection. Those games deserve to be played at 4k/60 or even 120fps (how amazing would that be).

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017

I believe some of the worlds (all?) are levels visited in other games, so its likely they could be worlds we visit in this game. This setpiece might just be brief little on-rails snippets of each world, but they very well could be the levels we visit in the game (and therefore are fully fleshed out)

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Do you really think they built all these different worlds with the intent of you just spending a couple of seconds in them? That would be a catastrophical waste of everything.

What they mean is that at some other points in the game, you will get to revisit those worlds and spend lots of time in them as regular levels, and not just as segments meant to showcase the speed of the SSD.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
If people want to be real dumb about it weve already had a game with no load screens (after the initial load) in GOW 2018. This isn't some impossible thing that is being chased. Its already been a reality, the difference now is that with a SSD "no load screens" is alot easier.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017

You know the hurdles they had to go through to mask the loading in Spider-Man PS4? Then there's the waiting players had to be distracted from when trying to fast travel (subway videos)? With this difference in loading it's taking a lot of problem solving off of their development times. No hiding loading by tilting the camera a certain way, no limiting swing speed to make sure the world has time to stream in the assets ahead, relying on item duplication so not much would have to be reloaded, maybe affecting the art and variety of the world environment.

No loading means a lot of the issues they experienced with HDD game design be a issue, and they won't have to work around those limitations. In R&C, sure they have a visual transition while the new area shows up, but without, it could look jarring. They chose rifts to be the thing that ease in the transitions, they could likely have some kind of speed, melt, some trippy animated growing effect, or the thing in the clip below but faster blurring one world into the next.

The problem people had with loading were waiting. The problem devs had was making sure things worked well and was less noticable by the player (long hall with windy design to load in assets hidden away from the player for example). With this speed they can call on assets or whatever faster than the player can turn around. Maybe even pull in characters that were designed for other areas all together (Sand Shark, dino land big creatures, kraken coming from the portals).

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
If people want to be real dumb about it weve already had a game with no load screens (after the initial load) in GOW 2018. This isn't some impossible thing that is being chased. Its already been a reality, the difference now is that with a SSD "no load screens" is alot easier.
Is not only that, you can have 4 new gigs of fresh data in a turn. Today if your game is less than 5 GB you could have it all in RAM, but now you can constantly update with new geometry and textures. LODs will see massive boosts, as already seen in Ratchet enemies models, super clear and detailed in the distance.

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017

Under other circumstances as in when not fighting nefarious in the story line. You can hop through those worlds again, we already saw that there are smashable bolt boxes and enemies in these were you can break and shoot at. All the worlds you saw in the gameplay were lively and explorable.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan

I think you could make your post more pedantic.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

It didn't have "loading screens", but it had plenty of places where you needed to wait or had nothing to do. Whenever you fast travelled, you ended up in that stupid circle corridor room, waiting sometimes up to a minute for a portal to appear. Whenever you switched worlds in the realm traversal room, you had to wait for a stupidly long animation to play and finish before you could go in. The game had tons of mostly empty long-winded corridors for you to walk/canoe through to hide the loading of the next area. It didn't have loading screens, but you still had to wait, and it was still very annoying. All of this will be history on PS5 because they won't have any loading to hide beyond 2-3 seconds at most.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
yeah, and i cant wait that we DONT need that walking area between realms anymore, and he could literally teleport like thor with the bifrost. all the streaming tech they came up with last gen is going to allow for some insane shit now since they have 100x the speed.

It didn't have "loading screens", but it had plenty of places where you needed to wait or had nothing to do. Whenever you fast travelled, you ended up in that stupid circle corridor room, waiting sometimes up to a minute for a portal to appear. Whenever you switched worlds in the realm traversal room, you had to wait for a stupidly long animation to play and finish before you could go in. The game had tons of mostly empty long-winded corridors for you to walk/canoe through to hide the loading of the next area. It didn't have loading screens, but you still had to wait, and it was still very annoying. All of this will be history on PS5 because they won't have any loading to hide beyond 2-3 seconds at most.

exactly what i said above. portal can just open up, they pretty much could scrap the whole tree, the room etc. and make it on some call on someone to move you to the next area like thor lol.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
You know the hurdles they had to go through to mask the loading in Spider-Man PS4? Then there's the waiting players had to be distracted from when trying to fast travel (subway videos)? With this difference in loading it's taking a lot of problem solving off of their development times. No hiding loading by tilting the camera a certain way, no limiting swing speed to make sure the world has time to stream in the assets ahead, relying on item duplication so not much would have to be reloaded, maybe affecting the art and variety of the world environment.

No loading means a lot of the issues they experienced with HDD game design be a issue, and they won't have to work around those limitations. In R&C, sure they have a visual transition while the new area shows up, but without, it could look jarring. They chose rifts to be the thing that ease in the transitions, they could likely have some kind of speed, melt, some trippy animated growing effect, or the thing in the clip below but faster blurring one world into the next.

The problem people had with loading were waiting. The problem devs had was making sure things worked well and was less noticable by the player (long hall with windy design to load in assets hidden away from the player for example). With this speed they can call on assets or whatever faster than the player can turn around. Maybe even pull in characters that were designed for other areas all together (Sand Shark, dino land big creatures, kraken coming from the portals).

What's this? :O

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL

To the end user, explain the difference.