• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The home of Amazon, Microsoft and the NFL's Seattle Seahawks has been named the best state in America.
Washington state earned top honors on U.S. News & World Report's rankings of the Best States, published on Tuesday.
The outlet calculates where all 50 states fall in their rankings based on several criteria, including health care, education, economy and opportunity. Certain categories are weighted more based on an annual survey with thousands of people to determine which issues are most important.
Washington was the top state overall, followed by New Hampshire and Minnesota.
"This confirms what we, in Washington have always known, that our state is great for businesses, workers, and investments, coupled with natural beauty and innovative, creative people," said Washington Governor Jay Inslee in a statement.
Utah was the fourth best state overall, according to the rankings, followed by Vermont.

The top 10 overall states:
  1. Washington
  2. New Hampshire
  3. Minnesota
  4. Utah
  5. Vermont
  6. Maryland
  7. Virginia
  8. Massachusetts
  9. Nebraska
  10. Colorado

The bottom 10 overall states, starting with the 50th state:
  1. Louisiana
  2. Alabama
  3. Mississippi
  4. West Virginia
  5. New Mexico
  6. Arkansas
  7. Alaska
  8. Oklahoma
  9. South Carolina
  10. Pennsylvania

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...all-u-s-news-best-states-rankings/1188577001/

My state of Ohio is ranked at a garbage 39. But at least we are not in the bottom 10 and beat PA. Progress!

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't surprise me that MD is in the top 10.

Fuckloads of money + Dem leadership in a majority of positions in State and Federal level = High chance of success.

Utah and Nebraska are surprises to me though, I wonder what they've been up to?

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
New Hampshire? I mean, I get that it ranks well by those metrics, but the biggest issue with NH is the people that live there. It's the Florida of New England.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Washington State is great, but any site that ranks state based on among other things "fiscal stability" is a fucking joke.
Is that affirmative action for shitty red states?

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
If you enjoy a more rural lifestyle, Upstate SC is pretty great, IMO. There are jobs and lots of companies are moving here or expanding. Cost of living is low. I know things aren't as good in the middle and lower parts of the state, though, which is probably why we rank so low.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not perfect but loving Maryland, so happy to see it at #6 :)

Soooo much better than AZ.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey (#12 overall) looking great for Healthcare (#6) & Education (#2) .

But it pretty much sucks for economy (#31), infrastructure (#34) and fiscal stability (#49). It's second to last with fiscal stability.

(AKA - taxes, real estate & insurance costs are all way too high across the board in NJ and you don't get much financial return on any of it.)

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How the heck is California ranked 49 in "Opportunity"?

I get that real estate is crazy out there, but we're talking about the 5th largest economy in the world.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
How does Nebraska best out Colorado. That's cool though, hopefully people move there instead.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
No surprise at Utah and Nebraska being the only conservative states being in the top 10. Very business friendly, relatively low cost of living, high employment and educational attainment rates, low crime, etc.

Been in Nebraska nearly all my life and its funny when people come to Nebraska on a temporary basis and end up staying because it really is the Good Life.

Shame there's no mountains or huge bodies of water, though. Only thing we really lack, imo.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
We're number three!

Couldn't help but notice 8 of the top 10 states went blue in the last presidential election compared to 9 of the bottom 10 going red.

Oct 25, 2017
The Colorado ranking feels more accurate to me. The cost of living is getting out of hand and they're transforming the front range into a giant wall of overdeveloped shopping malls and sprawling suburban housing that all looks the same. Things could be a lot better than it is.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
My state is #10, but should be higher. I wanted to live in Seattle since I was a teenager, but things didn't go as planned. Now, it sounds like housing costs are ridiculously high as is normal cost of living, and the traffic is terrible.

How the hell is Mississippi not the #1 worst state though?

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Illinois being #35 isn't super surprising. Things get depressing quickly once you leave the Chicago metro* and even in the city, neglect and and institutionalized oppression has left big swaths of the south and west side depressingly underserved. There are great pockets, but the city by and large has some major problems.

My fiancée went to school in the Seattle metro and has been talking about moving back in a few years. I was adamant about not doing it a couple years ago, but I'm less hesitant these days. This past winter really wore me down and our last visit out there was great. We're going back in a couple weeks to see friends and I feel like the conversation is going to pop back up.

*There are some exceptions. I've heard Urbana/Champagne isn't too bad.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Georgia is 17 and seems way too high. I love it here in Atlanta, and Savannah is pretty cool, but the rest of the state is a red wasteland. Terrible traffic, bad public transit relative to other metro areas, crumbling roads full of pot holes, terrible heat, humidity and mosquitoes for like 2/3rds if the year etc.

There's some nice natural beauty I guess with the north Georgia mountains and some waterfalls, some nice lakes and some nice beaches on Tybee and Jekyll Island, but other states have more and better of all of that.

AlphaCookie

Nov 6, 2017
Washington
Western Washington is pretty cool. Can't say the same about living here in the eastern side. I mean the roads here in Spokane County are more pothole than road, and that's being pretty generous. If the coast wasn't propping up the state and keeping decent people in power we'd be a Mad Max hellscape within a month.