• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What do you think, would you prefer this over burial or cremation?

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/510227412.html

Gov. Jay Inslee signed legislation Tuesday making Washington the first state to approve composting as an alternative to burying or cremating human remains.
It allows licensed facilities to offer "natural organic reduction," which turns a body, mixed with substances such as wood chips and straw, into about two wheelbarrows' worth of soil in a span of several weeks.

Loved ones are allowed to keep the soil to spread the same way they might spread the ashes of someone who has been cremated.

/turns composter 4 times
/tries not to cry with each heavy *thunk*

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
yeah we should definitely recycle bodies. we are all part of the universe so we should be reconstituted as grass or trees or flowers. Just not avocados cause they suck :P

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love for my remains to help grow a tree, seems like a much better use for my body than how humans are currently buried.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
It's kind of a weird thing to think about, but I'm behind it. I'm dead, I can be useful still and that's dope.

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
Not that great idea for health reason IF the compost is used afterward in farm or gardens. This greatly increase the risk of certain type of parasitic diseases. If it's used in forested area then not a big deal.

I compost plants material myself and I would not use compost made of animal parts unless it's heated to high enough temperature to kill pathogens.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Good for those that want it, though it won't do much good in the grand scheme of things because most people will never do it. Not a bad thing ofcourse, I just hope if we have it here it's kept a long long way away from anywhere I'll ever visit. Nightmare fuel.

Have they legislated on what the soil can be used for? Scientifically it makes no difference(as far as I know) if it's used for produce but...yeah.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Have they legislated on what the soil can be used for? Scientifically it makes no difference(as far as I know) if it's used for produce but...yeah.
Grown from the healthy, hearty left nut.
Man that'd be something to put on your apples, eh?

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like to think I'm pretty damn healthy, so I'm sure my remains could probably fertilize one of those 800 pound pumpkins. That would be swell.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Eh... typically you don't compost meat. You don't even use manure from non-herbivores. Otherwise you wind up with oily, bacteria filled compost.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any scientific proof this is good for the soil? Usually dead animals are picked clean by scavengers/carrion.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
I'm pretty set on having my body placed in the walls of a house, to be discovered in the future by some unfortunate renovators, but this is okay too.

Blue Lou

Oct 26, 2017
Washington has become the first state in the US to legalise human composting.

Under the new law, people there can now choose to have their body turned into soil after their death.

The process is seen as an alternative to cremations and burials, and as a practical option in cities where land for graveyards is scarce.

At the end of the composting, loved ones are given the soil, which they can use in planting flowers, vegetables or trees.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48359571

A company "places a body in a hexagonal steel container filled with alfalfa, wood chips and straw.

The container is then shut, and the body decomposes naturally within 30 days, creating two wheelbarrows' worth of soil."

I remember reading Mary Roach's Stiff and she was writing about how this type of company had problems because lobbyists. There was a company in the book who wanted to break down bodies with a type of acid and flush them away.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I mean as long as it is done by licensed and regulated companies and not people chucking grandma in the backyard with some orange peels and people aren't trying to sale food grown in the product

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean as long as it is done by licensed and regulated companies and not people chucking grandma in the backyard with some orange peels and people aren't trying to sale food grown in the product

This is so definitely going to happen at some point one way or another