• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Sep 12, 2018

ffs Ubisoft, that's not even getting into conflating the criticism of Israel from a pro-Palestine point of view with anti-semitism

Last edited:

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
That sucks. I didn't even know the game had an in-game podcast and I'm almost done with it.

It's a very mediocre game as well. I rented it from Ubi+. It's a $14 game I'll play once.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean considering where that story goes, the whole "rise up against fascism" shit in that game is complete bullshit.

Dead Sec teams up with the cops to fight the PMCs that took over as security for London....

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
I mean considering where that story goes, the whole "rise up against fascism" shit in that game is complete bullshit.

Dead Sec teams up with the cops to fight the PMCs that took over as security for London....

Not surprised about this. The game was really weak sauce about it's politics from the very start, with the whole "no guys it's not the cops or the state that's bad, its this totally made up mercenary group! :)"

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Of fucking course. Can the UK please not be transphobic shits for 5 fucking minutes.

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
Considering this is Ubisoft I'm not all that surprised. They never seem to get any of this shit right.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Seriously wtf are Ubisoft even doing? You don't like politics then why are you using current events for this shit? And badly too.

200.gif

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Helen Lewis is the Jordan Peterson of Terfs, giving nasty ideas a respectable appearance while still being utterly vile.

fluffy pillow

Sep 12, 2018
Welp, I guess I'm not buying this unless she's patched out, then. I make it a policy not to pay money for games that feature people who want me to stop existing.

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
Has there ever been a "woke" game that Resetera actually thinks managed to hit the nail on the head? Seems like any game that tries to tackle political/social issues has a quick snap back (TLOU2 being the most recent example).

ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019
Are you sure that is her? I'm not saying she can't be a gamer but you're saying this is the SAME Helen Lewis who had a pretty epic sitdown with Jordan Peterson?

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't include Ian Dunt who is also on a bunch of the other podcasts. I think IMDB only credits people who are part of the actor's union?
Huh, wasn't sure who Ian Dunt was. Searched on twitter and I appear to have blocked him already. Anyway, you're probably right. I haven't listed to much of the in game radio and especially not the podcast stuff.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
JK Rowling and whoever the hell this woman is doesn't represent the whole of the UK.
Whilst there are lots of statistics that show that the general public is pretty tolerant if not accepting of Trans people there is a disgustingly large amount of our news folks who are Transphobic.

The BBC routinely provides a platform for transphobes and It's ridiculous how often there's articles in The Guardian that are the equivalent of "should Trans women have the right to exist?" then proceeds to interview an array of TERFs.

Jan 10, 2018
I've never really understood what it is that Watch Dogs is trying to say. Didn't the second game try to make a lot of statements in favor of minorities? I remember that it had trans characters, feminists and whatnot and it tried to make it a big deal that it was placed in San Fransisco.

But this podcast is just something random that the player can listen to or is it supposed to be character building for the opposition that you are fighting?

Wamapoke

Apr 11, 2018
In fairness to Ubi, you pick a British journalist for your videogame and its a 75% chance they're a transphobic prick.

Hiraeth

Mar 16, 2018
London, UK
Can you not? It's a serious problem in our country that needs fixing. Our media is all in the TERF shite. Left & right. Don't "not all UK" me.

Just saying, while this woman, JK and others like her are indeed absolute trash - casting generalisations ain't great. Not saying I disagree with you there regarding things like the media, just not a big fan of sweeping generalisations.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I've never really understood what it is that Watch Dogs is trying to say. Didn't the second game try to make a lot of statements in favor of minorities? I remember that it had trans characters, feminists and whatnot and it tried to make it a big deal that it was placed in San Fransisco.

But this podcast is just something random that the player can listen to or is it supposed to be character building for the opposition that you are fighting?

The podcast is supposed to be worldbuilding. I'm not sure they did this on purpose, but who cares? They should've done their research if this wasn't intentional, fuck that.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
Oh boy, I cant wait for Ubi to say they are cutting ties with her, maybe tweet a nothing statement, then keep her in the game.

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017
Surprised it wasn't billionaire terf.

UK is a shitshow for trans representation and rights at the moment. Hopefully (I know they won't) Ubi will remove the terf.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Fucking hell. This is such a contrast to what Clint Hocking did in regards to politics with Far Cry 2 criticising foreign intervention and colonialism in Africa from Western nations.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
From the title I thought this might be a worldbuilding thing, but of course it's an actual TERF (+bonus anti-Palestine) 😩

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
I mean calling out something Anti Semitic is not being pro Israel just because their government sucks does not mean people need to okay Anti Semitic things. But the Whole TERF thing is just JFC what were they thinking
You're not wrong but it's been my overwhelming experience that people who whinge about the term "Zionist" and claim it's an anti-semetic dog whistle fall into that camp.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit.

But I'm not that surprised, I still remember them treating the BLM movement as terrorists in that recent Tom Clancy game.

Fuck Ubisoft, really, fuck Ubisoft.

Jan 10, 2018
The podcast is supposed to be worldbuilding. I'm not sure they did this on purpose, but who cares? They should've done their research if this wasn't intentional, fuck that.

Oh I completely misunderstood the tweet. I thought that it was about a fictional podcaster but apparently it's a real world asshole who tries to lecture about anti-fascism in the game. Yeah, that's bizarre.

Oct 25, 2017

Oh wow I mean it was incredibly pathetic that they took heat off of themselves by going it's not the real cops it's the totalitarian pmcs in London but that's a whole nother step. Good fucking job Ubisoft you cunts

And a Terf as the in-game podcaster just, wow.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I was boycotting Ubi in general, but this game was increasingly impressing and tempting me.

Big yikes on both the TERF and cops stuff.