• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
IIN81Hc.jpg

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (A week): Fragility; dismissing concerns about transphobia
Our leftmost media outlets here are overrun with TERFs and 'gender critical' types. It was an accurate assessment.

deadpinocchio.gif

I live in the UK and don't agree the leftmost media is overrun with these people. The media also does not represent the entire country, so it is not an accurate statement.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Fucking hell. This is such a contrast to what Clint Hocking did in regards to politics with Far Cry 2 criticising foreign intervention and colonialism in Africa from Western nations.

Haven't read said spoiler yet, but Clint Hocking was one of the few to restore my faith in industry writers after the nuanced interplay at work in Far Cry 2. Hard to believe that a single game or two could cement a man his place in the upper echelon of western AAA game creatives, but alas, it was that special, sonneh.

If Legion does indeed take a nosedive in this regard, it would be a shame. >_< Supposedly, the story and dialogue were done by two other leads besides Clint, who is officially the game director. But that's no help to the case -- it is from the director that all elements must gain approval. Whether he outlined it from the get go or let them operate independently with occasional input, I'd presume the story is just as much his as it is theirs.

I have a way to go nevertheless so we shall see where this train choo-choo's. :p

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
I live in the UK and don't agree the leftmost media is overrun with these people. The media also does not represent the entire country, so it is not an accurate statement.
Depends on your size criteria for leftmost I suppose, if we're talking large newspapers that means The Guardian (which for the record isn't particularly leftwing), and they're so rammed of TERF rhetoric that the US Guardian had to post an open lettter criticising how transphobic the rest of The Guardian was

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
I'm from England and the UK has a huge problem with transphobia in the media and a huge amount of fucking "gender critical" pieces of shit. Plenty of TERFs are deeply in bed with far right hate groups. It's a big problem.

What is with the #NotallUK folks?

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking hell. This is such a contrast to what Clint Hocking did in regards to politics with Far Cry 2 criticising foreign intervention and colonialism in Africa from Western nations.
Heck even FC3 which did have it's fair share of issues was about the whole white savior trope. FC4 also had a similiar theme but more so focused on a dictatorship.

They weren't perfect mind you but to see such a big downgrade compared to this is just mind boggling.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Let me whine about someone saying the UK is transphobic while..
  • Transphobic hate crimes have quadrupled in the past 5 years
  • GRA reform was scrapped despite majority approval
  • Homophobic 'concerns' of yesteryear are being recycled in public discourse around trans people
  • Links to trans charities and support organisations are quietly removed by the BBC
  • Tweets regarding support for pronouns are removed due to public backlash
  • One of the most left-leaning large media outlets is called out for transphobia by their US counterpart
  • The BBC considers Pride alright for staff to attend unless you're going in support of the "trans issue"
..but please understand I'm so very upset when someone on a forum calls the UK transphobic.

Last edited:

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Jesus fucking Christ, Ubisoft. I've been praising those podcasts all over the place and now I find out about this...

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously not everybody in the UK is transphobic, but it is abundantly clear to those of us that are paying attention that there is a problem. source: me, a trans person who can't help but pay attention

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
In Ubisofts... defence?? It's not like any other media in this country or the US has any problem platforming her, transphobia amongst the UK journo class is so commonly accepted, overlooked and encouraged

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is really sad, I was so impressed with those podcasts and now it looks like they were just setting me up for a fall from higher up.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

This is really sad, I was so impressed with those podcasts and now it looks like they were just setting me up for a fall from higher up.
Snap. I mean fuck Ubisoft anyway (above) but I was willing to give kudos for that recent narrative script in the game. Turns out I spoke too soon on that though. Fool me once and all that.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Has there ever been a "woke" game that Resetera actually thinks managed to hit the nail on the head? Seems like any game that tries to tackle political/social issues has a quick snap back (TLOU2 being the most recent example).
This response, and some in the recent thread you made, reminds me of a section from a recent article on Cyberpunk 2077.

screenshot_20201104-1bjja9.jpg

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
we don't support this shit

You should really read this well sourced post:
  • Homophobic 'concerns' of yesteryear are being recycled in public discourse around trans people
  • Links to trans charities and support organisations are quietly removed by the BBC
  • One of the most left-leaning large media outlets is called out for transphobia by their US counterpart
  • The BBC considers Pride alright for staff to attend unless you're going in support of the "trans issue"
..but please understand I'm so very upset when someone on a forum calls the UK transphobic.

and fucking spare me.

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (3 Months): Concern trolling around transphobia over multiple posts; prior severe ban.
As much as I dis-agree with the sentiments of the "podcaster" expressed - Helen Lewis? - I really hate the idea of othering people by calling them TERFs. Call them bigots, people who have hateful ideologies etc, but don't dehumanise them.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I mean considering where that story goes, the whole "rise up against fascism" shit in that game is complete bullshit.

Dead Sec teams up with the cops to fight the PMCs that took over as security for London....

The only reason I even have this game was because of my 3080. And I haven't had activated the code. With that spoiler, I'll gladly let the code expire.

OP
OP
Sep 12, 2018
As much as I dis-agree with the sentiments of the "podcaster" expressed - Helen Lewis? - I really hate the idea of othering people by calling them TERFs. Call them bigots, people who have hateful ideologies etc, but don't dehumanise them.
Come the fuck on, it's not dehumanizing to categorize somebody by an acronym that literally describes their ideology.

Would "white supremacist" be a dehumanizing term too?

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Again with this? TERF is not a slur, it is an acronym. And the TERFs are the ones with the dehumanising rhetoric, not the people whose rights are being challenged and rolled back.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017

Also a reminder that TERFs literally invented the term themselves.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
How is this 'dehumanising' someone to a greater capacity than calling them a bigot? It's literally an acronym for Trans-Exclusionary Radical Feminist, which is pretty descriptive (although the first two parts far more so than the latter).

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Come the fuck on, it's not dehumanizing to categorize somebody by an acronym that literally describes their ideology.

Would "white supremacist" be a dehumanizing term too?

You don't combat hate by being hateful - I mean the whole of the middle-east is an object lesson of that philosophy.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
You should really read this well sourced post:

and fucking spare me.

I don't disagree with any of those points and would never try to defend the transphobic issues our country and society has, apologies if it came off that way. The wording came across as all UK people are transphobic shits and I guess it triggered me a bit, that's more on me and my shitty day than anything else. I know full well that's not what was meant and have no issue with what the poster said.

My hasty response came across in my head more as "we're still here fighting for trans rights despite all the bullshit" but it clearly did not come across that way lol, sorry. Believe it or not and for the little it's worth, most of us are fully aware the BBC is a biased right wing propaganda machine and I can't remember the last time I spoke to somebody who valued it.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Hard to take seriously but if it is then Judith Butler has a better pushback from a recent interview than I would do justice by paraphrasing.

screenshot_20201104-188k9y.jpg

www.newstatesman.com

Judith Butler on the culture wars, JK Rowling and living in “anti-intellectual times”

The philosopher and gender theorist discusses tensions in the feminist movement over trans rights

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How is it a hateful term? Is racist or homophobe a hateful term too for you?

No racist or homophobe are not hateful terms - I guess the key is the vitriol with which the term TERF is used.

Given the replies to my initial thought, it's clear that the majority of this thread thinks that I'm incorrect in my thinking that TERF is being used in a derogatory manner.

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
No racist or homophobe are not hateful terms - I guess the key is the vitriol with which the term TERF is used.

Given the replies to my initial thought, it's clear that the majority of this thread thinks that I'm incorrect in my thinking that TERF is being used in a derogatory manner.

Yeah TERF itself isn't derogatory, there's no argument for that. It's an accurate description of their beliefs and was originally coined by them.

You are right that the term is often used with vitriol but rightly so - it's a harmful belief to hold

OP
OP
Sep 12, 2018

If it's vicious it's because transphobia is a vicious ideology. This is the same argument racists make when playing victim.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for highlighting this. It might be worth reaching out to Ubisoft (specifically the Toronto studio) in some fashion because I know quite a few people working there have tried to be inclusive in things like narrative systems (profiler details about chest binding, hormones treatments, etc etc) so I think this is going to be really disappointing to them too if they don't already know about it. (In my experience, on a project with thousands of people and an equally large number of moving parts, sometimes you really don't find out about something like this until after the game ships.) It might realistically be possible to have the content in question modified or pulled. See the AC Odyssey DLC as an example of an campaign by players to have offensive and harmful content altered. (I know the end result isn't what people wanted but this case could be different, especially since they could consider re-recording with a different VA or just pull her stuff entirely.) I know the damage has been done but there might be a path forward to something less transphobic in this particular area of the game.

Last edited:

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ya know it was but a week ago someone questioned me when I said I hate and distrust humanity.

Nazi is some how I'm the running for president, CDPR continues to be TransPhobic, JK is being her TERF as self and now on top of being the Rape Company Ubisoft hires a known fucking TERF.

Humanity needs fired into the fucking sun.

WildGoose

Oct 27, 2017

^ This had better be a joke.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018
I mean considering where that story goes, the whole "rise up against fascism" shit in that game is complete bullshit.

Dead Sec teams up with the cops to fight the PMCs that took over as security for London....

Haha fuck this game.

I dunno maybe London cops are nothing like US cops, this isn't something I actually know anything about. But that spoiler is a huge turn off, and just knocked this game off my "I'll try it at $20" list.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
A TERF Guardian journalist as the face of an anti-fascist resistance is so painfully on brand for Britain it'd be funny if it wasn't so infuriating.

Also, as a British trans person, massive sideeye to all the posters that seem to take more umbrage with the UK being called transphobic, than transphobia itself.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well put.

Trans people deserve much better than this garbage. Anybody complaining need to shut up and think about how trans people are feeling.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Has there ever been a "woke" game that Resetera actually thinks managed to hit the nail on the head? Seems like any game that tries to tackle political/social issues has a quick snap back (TLOU2 being the most recent example).

1) what last of us had ?

2) why do you think it is a resetera problem and not a transphobia problem ?

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
There's plenty of TERFs in the rest of the UK, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have plenty of bigots and often get away with it by saying it's the English rather than look at what's going on in their own groups. Pretty sure there have been quite a few politicians in the SNP spout TERF rhetoric for example. It's a UK problem not an English problem

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for taking the time to put this together.

JK Rowling and whoever the hell this woman is doesn't represent the whole of the UK.
They may not, but transphobia is widely accepted by the mainstream over there.

What the fuck.

Hiraeth

Mar 16, 2018
London, UK
They may not, but transphobia is widely accepted by the mainstream over there.

To clarify; I was born in, and have always lived in the UK. I'm not disagreeing with the statements regarding a lot of the mainstream media being anti-trans, I'm just saying please don't make sweeping generalisations and paint the whole country with the same brush. As others have echoed in this thread, the mainstream media does not represent all of us.