• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

(Click for general game info.)

🖥️ System requirements:
wdl_requirements.png

🧰 Latest drivers: (as at 24/02/2022)
AMD: 22.2.2
Nvidia: 511.79

📊 Benchmarks:
ComputerBase (German; launch build)
DSOGaming (English; review build)
GameGPU (Russian; review build)
Guru3D (English; launch build)
Hardwareluxx (German; review build)
PC Games Hardware (German; review build)
PurePC (Polish; review build)

📊 Performance guides:
Digital Foundry (English; review build)
Hardware Unboxed (English; review build)

🎩 Tips and tricks:
Cap the frame rate/potentially improve frame times: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server (if you use MSI Afterburner, then you already have it installed), input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit Enter . Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU can either cap the frame rate at the driver level via the Nvidia Control Panel (requires the 441.87+ drivers) or use Nvidia Inspector to force a vsync internal lower than one-half (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frame times. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower frame rate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Fix random controller disconnections: Disable the Uplay overlay by navigating to Uplay -> Settings -> General and unticking "Enable in-game overlay for supported games". (Credit to Linus815.)
Enable full performance monitoring overlay support: Disable BattlEye anti-cheat by setting -BattlEyeLauncher as a launch argument. (Credit to Kaldaien.)
Note: This will disable multiplayer functionality.
Fix the game displaying at 4096x2160 on 4K TVs: Follow these instructions. (Credit to Paz @ Steam Community via Faces of Death.)

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to tag my username (@GrrImAFridge), as this way I'll receive a notification. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

⚙️ Graphics settings:

Video adapter: Self-explanatory
Window mode: Windowed; Windowed borderless; Fullscreen borderless; Fullscreen
Display: Self-explanatory
Resolution: Self-explanatory
Monitor refresh rate: Self-explanatory
Vsync: Off; Normal (equal to refresh rate); Sparse (half refresh rate)
FPS limit: Off; 30 -> 120 in increments of 1
Field of view: 70 -> 110 in increments of 1
Menu position: ???
Multi-monitor HUD: Auto; Fixed; Fit

DirectX: D3D11/D3D12
Graphics quality (preset): Low; Medium; High; Very High; Ultra; Custom
Geometry: High; Very High; Ultra
Environment: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Texture resolution: Lowest; Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Texture filtering: Low; High; Ultra
Shadows: Low; Medium; High; Very High; Ultra
Headlight shadows: Off; Your car; 2 cars; 3 cars; 4 cars
Reflections: Low; Medium; High; Very High; Ultra

Depth of field: Off/On
Motion blur: Off/On
Bloom Off/On
Ambient occlusion: Off/On
Post-process anti-aliasing: Off; FXAA; SMAA; TAA
Subsurface scattering: Low/High
Ray-traced reflections: Off; Medium; High; Ultra
DLSS: Off; Performance; Quality; Balanced; Ultra Performance
Extra details: 0% -> 100% in increments of 1%
Temporal upscaling: 25% -> 100% in increments of 5%

Last edited:
OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
To unlock the game version early via VPN:

1) Download and install F-Secure Freedome (no hard limits, but the trial period expires after five days), FlyVPN (20-minute session limit), ProtonVPN (speed-limited), TunnelBear (500MB data limit), VPN Gate (no hard limits) or VyprVPN (no hard limits, but remember to cancel within 72 hours)
3) Connect to a server in Australia, New Zealand, or Asia
4) Restart EGS/Uplay (if you're logged in)
5) Wait for the executable and any updated data to download

Edit: No longer necessary.

Last edited:

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
To unlock the game version early via VPN:

1) Download and install F-Secure Freedome (no hard limits, but the trial period expires after five days), FlyVPN (20-minute session limit), ProtonVPN (speed-limited), TunnelBear (500MB data limit), VPN Gate (no hard limits) or VyprVPN (no hard limits, but remember to cancel within 72 hours)
3) Connect to a server in Australia or New Zealand
4) Restart EGS/Uplay (if you're logged in)
5) Wait for the executable and any updated data to download
Should be able to play it now, yeah?

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Just reading through, seems like my 3080 will be able to clear 1080p 60 with RTX at full with no DLSS, which is fine as my monitor is still 1080 60hz, excited, but the reviews warned about bugs so I'm concerned if they're too prevalent

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Game crashed while loading after pressing New Game. I used a VPN to unlock it, so it may have been that, because it locked me out of the game again after crashing.

ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019
That's a bit of a load time to get in game. And Uplay crashes if the game crashes. . .o_O.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
H4M7lls.png

4k, everything maxed including RTX apart from having no AA and turning off motion blur. Extra Details also at 0%

Ultra Performance is a little rough since it's designed for 8k, so might dial back the RTX and use performance.

EDIT: Going to performance over Ultra Performance drops it to 61 average, so I'll take it!

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, another Ubisoft open-world game severely bottlenecked by even a high-end CPU? They really need to do something about this, as it's only going to become more of an issue in the future.

Oct 25, 2017
H4M7lls.png

4k, everything maxed including RTX apart from having no AA and turning off motion blur. Extra Details also at 0%

Ultra Performance is a little rough since it's designed for 8k, so might dial back the RTX and use performance.

That CPU usage is pretty crazy for 4K. Really looking forward to the DF video for this game...

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600X
RTX 3080
1440p 144 Hz

Preset: V. High / DLSS Quality / RTX Medium
Avg FPS: 72
1% low: 53 fps

No nVidia game ready driver yet? Still using 456.55

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Ah man, fuck off Ubisoft lol

Runs between 45-60fps on a 3080 at 1440p using DLSS Quality

Everything is maxed out, turned RT to high and shadows to high to see how much of a difference that will make

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017

Everything is maxed out, turned RT to high and shadows to high to see how much of a difference that will make

Watching the benchmark, I couldn't tell the difference between Ultra and V. High and got 8-10 fps boost by dropping down

john2gr

Oct 27, 2017

This is one of the rare cases in which the CPU and RAM play a huge part. I've tried setting my DDR4 to 2600Mhz and saw a noticeable performance hit, even at 1440p (Intel i9 9900K with 8GB of DDR4 @ 3600Mhz and RTX2080Ti). I'm really curious to see how the game runs on an Intel i9 9900K with 4000Mhz of DDR4.

Tora

Jun 17, 2018
Watching the benchmark, I couldn't tell the difference between Ultra and V. High and got 8-10 fps boost by dropping down
Good to know; interestingly enough ultra claims to use an extra 600MB of VRAM, so it might be drawing shadows very far out

This is one of the rare cases in which the CPU and RAM play a huge part. I've tried setting my DDR4 to 2600Mhz and saw a noticeable performance hit, even at 1440p (Intel i9 9900K with 8GB of DDR4 @ 3600Mhz and RTX2080Ti). I'm really curious to see how the game runs on an Intel i9 9900K with 4000Mhz of DDR4.
Agreed. Running a 3700x and 16GB of 3000Mhz ram, on Ryzen anyway i'm sure you'd see a nice uplift if you had 3600Mhz

Radical Larry

Oct 28, 2017
Good to know; interestingly enough ultra claims to use an extra 600MB of VRAM, so it might be drawing shadows very far out

Agreed. Running a 3700x and 16GB of 3000Mhz ram, on Ryzen anyway i'm sure you'd see a nice uplift if you had 3600Mhz
Doubtful. 5% at the absolute most. From 2600mhz it's a different story of course.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Something funky is going on here.

Benchmark with RTX Ultra and DLSS ran at 45-65FPS on my 3080

When i get to the open world DLSS looks all kinds of blurry and fps tank to 25-35 fps.

I think i'll wait for nvidia drivers.

Set everything to low and FPS still stuck at 25-35fps? Wtf?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Something funky is going on here.

Benchmarkt with RTX Ultra and DLSS ran at 45-65FPS on my 3080

When i get to the open world DLSS looks all kinds of blurry and fps tank to 25-35 fps.

I think i'll wait for nvidia drivers.

Set everything to low and FPS still stuck at 25-35fps? Wtf?

Same happened here. Reducing RTX to medium got the game running smooth again and DLSS looked sharp again. Except doors with glass in them which have weird artifacts with DLSS on.

Last edited:

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Will definetly wait for the Nvidia driver before playing.

Do they normally make a big different to peformance (new pc gamer here)?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
At night, RTX on high in the open world works as the benchmark said it would.

j3YVfse.jpg

Simonnnnn

Oct 27, 2017
A new driver can be anything from a slightly negative impact to >+10% to correcting graphical artifacts. Most big AAA games see a new driver right around release, a few days before or after.

Thanks, hoping for some decent optimisation, considering Nvidia has thrown their weight behind this game... Although, this is Ubisoft..

GreatBriTom

Host/Producer at GameSpot
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Beware, I had numerous crashes during my time with the game. Details and evidence around 7 minutes into my review.

La Fawn Duh

Apr 3, 2018
yeahhhhh... runs like absolut shit. I7 8700K, RTX 2080, 16GB DDR4. playing with average 40-50fps. High Settings with RTX on Medium and DLSS set at Performance (does not even matter what i set here at all lol). Game is just not smooth at all in the open world. Close quarters and moving in buildings are good but the whole open world and the terrible driving is a mess in matter of performance and controls. My hopes are for the nvidia driver but this is not what i expected. not gonna play further. if it is not fixed in the coming weeks im just gonna buy it on a sale for the ps5.

sad sad sad

Tora

Jun 17, 2018
GPU utilisation on a 3080 is around 70-80% on average with a 3700x.

Really Ubi, so frustrating. Driving feels horrible because it cannot keep up

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a 3080 from EVGA. Can I sell a code if I have one? Or is it linked to my account like someone said a while ago?

Mini-Me

Oct 25, 2017
I've had the game for several days now. I've got a RTX 3090 and a 9700k and it honestly does not run all that great as that video going around the other day showed. Even at 1440p it struggles to only the mid-70s, not even DLSS doesn't help much at all.

ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019
I've had the game for several days now. I've got a RTX 3090 and a 9700k and it honestly does not run all that great as that video going around the other day showed. Even at 1440p it struggles to only the mid-70s, not even DLSS doesn't help much at all.

Link to video?