• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Not a DF comparison, but yet again, both versions are nigh indistinguishable from one another, IMO.

Keep it civil, everyone!

This time around the results are a somewhat more interesting, but not by much. Both versions run at a dynamic resolution between 1440p and 2160p. PS5 has a higher average resolution (at least in the parts that I have compared it is noticeably better in some areas) on the other hand, the draw distance and the anisotropic filtering are higher on the SXS. Regarding the framerate, both consoles run at a rate of 30 fps. I have not experienced falls or tearing on any version, however I have not subjected them to very marked stress (many explosions, large load of enemies on screen... etc). Ray Tracing is exactly the same on both platforms, the equivalent of the low PC setting.

Last edited:

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
At 1:06 there are no reflections on the surface of the bridge on the Series X version, while they are there on the PS5.
At 9:30 the bottom right reflections on the water also look better on the PS5.

But other than reflections they look basically the same, but is hard to be sure because of YouTube terrible compression.

FE7V6J.png

Last edited:

Dantero

Jan 23, 2018
At 1:06 there are no reflections on the surface of the bridge on the Series X version, while they are there on the PS5.

But other than reflections they look basically the same, but is hard to be sure because of YouTube terrible compression.
It's not raining at 1:06 at Xbox so no reflection. 9:30 is the same.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Without a frame graph its difficult to say but this looks a lot closer to each other than the other recent comparisons.

OP
OP
Firmus_Anguis

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017

I updated the OP with comments from the creator of the comparison. RT is identical on both platforms.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
So does this game have a 60fps mode? Can't believe they put 120FPS on the console boxes......

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
The xbox series X version has a game breaking glitch that makes the game near impossible to play (which won't be fixed until December at the earliest). Even if the ps5 version was worse in this comparison it would still be the place to play right now.

Oct 30, 2017
This is the third game thus far that average dynamic resolutions tends to be a bit higher on PS5, well at least from what they say about differences. Assassin's Creed Valhalla, and Dirt 5's was the same.

Leading up to the consoles releases this is the one aspect I thought would favor XSX in third party releases.

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
It's not raining at 1:06 at Xbox so no reflection. 9:30 is the same.

You are probably right, at 1:06 could be the weather. But at 9:30 the water reflections at the bottom right of the screen seems way better on the PS5. On the Series X they are barely visible. But that is a very minor detail.

We need to wait for Digital Foundry or Nxgamer to really have an idea about how they really compare.

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
The xbox series X version has a game breaking glitch that makes the game near impossible to play (which won't be fixed until December at the earliest). Even if the ps5 version was worse in this comparison it would still be the place to play right now.

What's the glitch? I've just started on XS but will hold off if necessary.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Seems like they're nearly identical. That should avoid controversy I guess.
Two page thread incoming.

This is the third game thus far that average dynamic resolutions tends to be a bit higher on PS5, well at least from what they say about differences. Assassin's Creed Valhalla, and Dirt 5's was the same.

Leading up to the consoles releases this is the one aspect I thought would favor XSX in third party releases.
After the summary says PS5 had the higher average resolution it says...

PS5 has a higher average resolution (at least in the parts that I have compared it is noticeably better in some areas) on the other hand, the draw distance and the anisotropic filtering are higher on the SXS.

So I think it's safe to assume the reason why is obvious; and that's not a bad thing for Xbox all things considering.

OP
OP
Firmus_Anguis

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
You are probably right, at 1:06 could be the weather. But at 9:30 the water reflections at the bottom right of the screen seems way better on the PS5. On the Series X they are barely visible. But that is a very minor detail.

We need to wait for Digital Foundry or Nxgamer to really have an idea about how they really compare.
These comparisons, so far, have been fairly in line with DF's own findings - So the results shouldn't be dismissed/ignored. But yes, I agree, for the full analysis, wait on DF.

If I'm not mistaken, this might be the closest the consoles have ever been. I think this is what we can expect moving forward - Basically identical games.

It's really the best case scenario.

Hasi

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
So does this game have a 60fps mode? Can't believe they put 120FPS on the console boxes......

My XSX box has Master Chief on the back but only 2 of the games I've played so far have Master Chief in it smh

Just because it says 120 on the box doesn't mean there can't be games aiming for 30fps and raytracing... There are many games with good 120fps modes.

Oct 30, 2017
What's the glitch? I've just started on XS but will hold off if necessary.

Reading some of the responses in the Legion thread, it seems it randomly may not save your progress so people are literally losing hours when they exit the game or even worse you get a corrupted save file.

Woof, that is a huge buggy mess of an oversight.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think we already know that al graphics settings are identical in these two versions. In the DF video about the Series X version, Alex pulled up all the console settings for each console from the PC ini files and they were like for like across the board.

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
I think Alex from Digital Foundry showed the settings for both consoles being the exact same using the PC version's .ini ( or similar) file, as it had presets for both of them.

Been tempted to pick this up on the X but too many reports of problems with it just now.

Oct 27, 2017

The trade off being better draw distance and antriscopic filtering on the X. The differences here are essentially a standstill.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
The trade off being better draw distance and antriscopic filtering on the X. The differences here are essentially a standstill.

This guy is hit and miss with this stuff. He noticed differences that did not exist in AC.
DF already spotted in .ini files in the PC version that graphical settings are the same across the board on consoles.
Also ray tracing is bit lower than the low PC setting, hence why they were a bit disappointed.
What is left, if this comparison is accurate, is a higher average res on PS5.
Let's see what DF, NX and VG Tech have to say.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
This guy is hit and miss with this stuff. He noticed differences that did not exist in AC.
DF already spotted in .ini files in the PC version that graphical settings are the same across the board on consoles.
Also ray tracing is bit lower than the low PC setting, hence why they were a bit disappointed.
What is left, if this comparison is accurate, is a higher average res on PS5.
Let's see what DF, NX and VG Tech have to say.

Ray tracing is lower than the low setting on PC? that is a bit disappointing. What is the res of ray traced reflections? below 1080p?

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
That raytracing looks horrible, so noisy. It more detrimental to image rather than impressive. I would much rather have good ssr and other improvments.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
Ray tracing is lower than the low setting on PC? that is a bit disappointing. What is the res of ray traced reflections? below 1080p?

It was explained here:
www.youtube.com

Watch Dogs Legion - Xbox Series X/S Ray Tracing vs PC RTX - Features, Quality, Performance + More

Watch Dogs Legion is the first PC title supporting DirectX Ray Tracing to arrive on the next-gen consoles - and in this detailed analysis, Alex Battaglia sta...

Here's the settings:

Ray tracing internal res is 1080p on PS5/SX and 720p on Series S.
But they said the RT quality settings are custom and overall a bit lower than the low PC settings. They even tried to reproduce console settings on PC editing the config files in the PC version.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Seems like they're nearly identical. That should avoid controversy I guess.

No way. There is an image with a PS5 and some wet, reflective road while the SX has only drab grey. Right there in the second post. There will be blood.

Meanwhile, the real question is: Why can't these AAA Ubisoft games ever crack 90% MC? Is it just lack of time or something else? Because as far as I can tell, this game isn't worth playing on either PS5, SX or PC for anyone who has a backlog and time constraints.

I cannot help but wonder. How much time does Ubisoft spend on their AAA development cycle? If Ubisoft spent 50% longer polishing their games to get them to Ghost of Tsushima levels, would they not sell 50% more games? Or maybe even double? Or triple? Would it truly cost them money to output higher quality software?

What I'm thinking is dev times for original AAA franchises should be close to 6 years, and no less than 4 years for a sequel that shares the same engine.

Last edited:

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
When they're this close, I choose the one with Quick Resume.
Quick resume is literally making me play valhalla less until it comes back. Easily the best feature on Xbox.

There is no question that it is more convenient to switch games without ejecting and plopping game discs every time.

Let me put on my SCE/Xbox CEO hat for a moment and talk monetization schemes:

What if Sony or Microsoft offered 2 versions of their digital games. A silver version, which costs 50% off. So Demon Souls would be $35 and Miles morales would be $25. The catch is that every time you switch games, you have to wait a mandatory 30 seconds "cool-down", just like Gacha mobile games.

And if you want to skip those 30 seconds, you have to buy the gold version of the game. Demons souls gold would be $70 and miles morales would be $50. Just like it is today. So no skin off your back, basically.

Would you buy gold or silver editions for your games? For all of them? Or would it be case by case, with games you expect to play for years purchased in gold, and the ones you think you'll play rarely in silver?

Dantero

Jan 23, 2018

I think we already know that al graphics settings are identical in these two versions. In the DF video about the Series X version, Alex pulled up all the console settings for each console from the PC ini files and they were like for like across the board.
See this post. All settings are the same.

Rick44-4

Oct 8, 2020
My XSX box has Master Chief on the back but only 2 of the games I've played so far have Master Chief in it smh

Just because it says 120 on the box doesn't mean there can't be games aiming for 30fps and raytracing... There are many games with good 120fps modes.
I don't get why people think these things mean every game will follow what's on the box, different developers make different decisions. Unless these people somehow want the developers to be forced to do it which is frankly rediculous.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
No way. There is an image with a PS5 and some wet, reflective road while the SX has only drab grey. Right there in the second post. There will be blood.

Meanwhile, the real question is: Why can't these AAA Ubisoft games ever crack 90% MC? Is it just lack of time or something else? Because as far as I can tell, this game isn't worth playing on either PS5, SX or PC for anyone who has a backlog and time constraints.

I cannot help but wonder. How much time does Ubisoft spend on their AAA development cycle? If Ubisoft spent 50% longer polishing their games to get them to Ghost of Tsushima levels, would they not sell 50% more games? Or maybe even double? Or triple? Would it truly cost them money to output higher quality software?

What I'm thinking is dev times for original AAA franchises should be close to 6 years, and no less than 4 years for a sequel that shares the same engine.

This is not the same weather. :) Two consoles version have identical settings.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Here's the settings:
https://i.imgur.com/gOyIite.png
Ray tracing internal res is 1080p on PS5/SX and 720p on Series S.
But they said the RT quality settings are custom and overall a bit lower than the low PC settings. They even tried to reproduce console settings on PC editing the config files in the PC version.
Oh wow I totally missed this. And we damn that's great confirmation on the settings being identical. Also interesting the Ray tracing is as expected to be quarter resolutions.

Oct 27, 2017
That draw distance looks like a pretty big difference but maybe it was just the example he chose (driving over a long bridge). I couldn't see the difference in resolution but ElAnalista seems like a pretty good channel so I trust them on that.

It's worth noting that some of these comparisons aren't identical conditions or time of day. There's a clock on the bottom left next to the minimap.

The 1X version also had some game breaking issue, right? Open world Ubisoft games are always so rushed out the door. I blame the publisher rather than the devs for that though.

Oct 30, 2017
There is no question that it is more convenient to switch games without ejecting and plopping game discs every time.

Let me put on my SCE/Xbox CEO hat for a moment and talk monetization schemes:

What if Sony or Microsoft offered 2 versions of their digital games. A silver version, which costs 50% off. So Demon Souls would be $35 and Miles morales would be $25. The catch is that every time you switch games, you have to wait a mandatory 30 seconds "cool-down", just like Gacha mobile games.

And if you want to skip those 30 seconds, you have to buy the gold version of the game. Demons souls gold would be $70 and miles morales would be $50. Just like it is today. So no skin off your back, basically.

Would you buy gold or silver editions for your games? For all of them? Or would it be case by case, with games you expect to play for years purchased in gold, and the ones you think you'll play rarely in silver?
I seldom switch games. So I can get cheap games and have almost zero downside? Lmao okay half priced games please

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
It's supposedly coming. Like a lot of next gen functionality, Quick Resume appears to be a work in progress. Sony and MS clearly weren't ready for launch.
I've been a bad time with the feature because of how inconsistent it is. Playing mostly Gears, Yakuza, Tetris, FH4, and Watch Dogs, the batting average isn't good for me and the lack of any kind of warning / prompt telling me when to expect Quick Resume to work or not work is not helping. I see the potential in the feature for sure, but boy it really ain't there yet lol

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I've been a bad time with the feature because of how inconsistent it is. Playing mostly Gears, Yakuza, Tetris, FH4, and Watch Dogs, the batting average isn't good for me and the lack of any kind of warning / prompt telling me when to expect Quick Resume to work or not work is not helping. I see the potential in the feature for sure, but boy it really ain't there yet lol
Yep, it's under-cooked now. They need to tell you exactly which games are capable, and then when you've used it, they need to show you a list of current games that are in QR. I'd be surprised if all of that isn't already close to being ready for at least beta.