• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I've noticed that every time WD/Valhalla installs an update it's some obscene GB size. I've got fast internet but my storage is nearly full and it's frustrating to see both AC and Watch Dogs have these crazy file sizes.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I should have some numbers up later today. I queued up Valhalla, Immortals, Avengers, Borderlands 3, and Yakuza 7 – as those games I could download on both consoles.

That is part of it, and I know the speed is capped when you are playing games (on both consoles). But even rest mode shows differences – and I download the same game faster on PS5. I could do a comparison of that too if you'd like, once I get back home.

No need. I believe you. Situations can differ.

I tend to average around 200 Mbps with my internet on the series x.

Mine rarely gets close to max...but it's decent. Props to Sony and this compression. It's impressive.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It must be a binary based update system versus delta based updates as already mentioned earlier. Funny thing is that Microsoft uses this for the Office apps on macOS. They switched from delta-based updates to binary-based updates (don't replace the entire file, only the bytes that have changed in said files) and it reduced the monthly patch sizes significantly.

It's easy to tell at which release they switched to the binary patch system:

XwmauVO4PhtLXWQNSjdbGdIc.png

Sounds like PS5 is using the same mechanism and hence still does the copying thing in case a patch failed to apply successfully. If the patch would contain a lot of new assets (like DLC) file sizes would not be so small as they are in this specific Watch Dogs update because it would contain a lot of new files not yet existing in the base game.

For Xbox Content Update v3, used for GDK games, operates at the sub-file level in 4K blocks (NTFS cluster size). If everything is aligned/compressed/etc properly it doesn't require redownloading entire files, only the 4K blocks where bytes changed. If not, a small change can result in a huge download

Content Update v2 introduced in 2014 operated at the file-level so any changed files had to be redownloaded. v1 operated at the chunk (group of files) level so a change to any file required redownloading all the files in the chunk

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
Does RAD Tools have some sort of exclusivity with Sony preventing MS from licensing Oodle? Or is it just a design choice on MS's part to go a different route?

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 still take forever to "copy" their updates, so anyone with high-speed internet might actually install this faster on Xbox than PS5.

Yeah, given the option, I'd pick larger patch files than the stupid copying crap PS4/5 pull everytime I need to patch something, which takes forever.
I really wish they did something different there.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I never saw that thread, but I am basing my impressions on games I've observed and downloaded on both consoles, which tend to show smaller game sizes on PS5. I'm redownloading several titles right now to reconfirm, and will post results.
Would be very interesting to see some good comparisons and thanks for the time. Btw, If you didn't know... If you got some PS5 third party games and no Xbox version, you can use the mobile Xbox app to download the games without purchasing them.

Btw: Watch dogs on Xbox is 70,7GB without the German data package. That's another 4,81GB.

Edit: Oops, Watch Dog's is 70,7GB total (65,9GB for the game and 4,8GB for German audio).

For Xbox Content Update v3, used for GDK games, operates at the sub-file level in 4K blocks (NTFS cluster size). If everything is aligned/compressed/etc properly it doesn't require redownloading entire files, only the 4K blocks where bytes changed. If not, a small change can result in a huge download

Content Update v2 introduced in 2014 operated at the file-level so any changed files had to be redownloaded. v1 operated at the chunk (group of files) level so a change to any file required redownloading all the files in the chunk
That's very interesting. Is there any way to see what a game used? Or is it enough to know it uses GDK?

Last edited:

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
BTw in case you missed it, Fortnite had small updates on PS5 since release and starting from this season patches will be bigger on all platforms except PC and PS5 which had the smallest updates.

Perhaps that's a language thing. But I understood it like "this time patch sizes will be bigger". RAD got bought by Unreal, perhaps they are switching to oodle etc. on all those platforms now and therefore need to do one huge update? Whereas on PS5 kraken and co are already used?

Oct 25, 2017
arsene_P5 cyrribrae

Assassins Creed Valhalla
PS5: 72gb
XSX: 103gb

Borderlands 3
PS5: 52gb
XSX: 64gb

Immortals Rising Fenyx
PS5: 30.5gb
XSX: 32.9gb

Yakuza Like a Dragon:
PS5: 43.69gb
XSX: 39.7gb

Marvel's Avengers:
PS5: 97.63gb
XSX: 139.5gb

For PS5, the data is collected by pressing the options button on a game tile, and looking at the size category.

For Series X, the data is collected by pressing the start button on a game tile, clicking on "Manage game and add-ons", then clicking on the game, and looking at the size reported for the base game.

If I should be looking elsewhere for either of the systems, just let me know.

Some of the pictures:

I can upload more pics, or compare other games if anyone's interested (so long as I own it on PS5 lol).

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
arsene_P5 cyrribrae

Assassins Creed Valhalla

Borderlands 3

Immortals Rising Fenyx

Yakuza Like a Dragon:

Marvel's Avengers:

For PS5, the data is collected by pressing the options button on a game tile, and looking at the size category.

For Series X, the data is collected by pressing the start button on a game tile, clicking on "Manage game and add-ons", then clicking on the game, and looking at the size reported for the base game.

Some of the pictures:

I can upload more pics, or compare other games if anyone's interested (so long as I own it on PS5 lol).
Thanks for doing the work. The difference with Valhalla and Avengers is absolutely huge. We'll never get any Intel, but it would be nice to hear from the developers why that is, because other games seem to be closer. And can the Yakuza devs explain why PS5 version is bigger? Because that's odd.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for doing the work. The difference with Valhalla and Avengers is absolutely huge. We'll never get any Intel, but it would be nice to hear from the developers why that is, because other games seem to be closer. And can the Yakuza devs explain why PS5 version is bigger? Because that's odd.
I'm late to this thread, but wouldn't the Xbox Series games contain both Series X and Series S code and assets? And, in some cases, One S and One X, as well? The Avengers and Valhalla being one of them? Just spitballing, I've no concept of what goes on behind the scenes to compile a game.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently this isn't due to Kraken because the compression ratio is mathematically impossible. Maybe Kraken + the way files work in the PS5 api. I'd have to imagine much of the entire game is redownloading on XSX.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I'm late to this thread, but wouldn't the Xbox Series games contain both Series X and Series S code and assets? And, in some cases, One S and One X, as well? The Avengers and Valhalla being one of them? Just spitballing, I've no concept of what goes on behind the scenes to compile a game.
Could be, but then something has gone wrong imo, because as far as I can tell the point of smart delivery is that only the necessary files get downloaded.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Perhaps that's a language thing. But I understood it like "this time patch sizes will be bigger". RAD got bought by Unreal, perhaps they are switching to oodle etc. on all those platforms now and therefore need to do one huge update? Whereas on PS5 kraken and co are already used?

Fortnite has barely any voiced language in it, the only spoken time is during the event that last few minutes which happens only at the end of the season, the part that has language is STW that didn't get any update for a year now.
The fact that is PC and PS5 only got the smallest updates means the obvious (btw PC update is smallest but takes ages to decompress if your CPU is so old so explains a lot).

Edit: btw add this game to the list:

Last edited:

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Fortnite has barely any voiced language in it, the only spoken time is during the event that last few minutes which happens only at the end of the season, the part that has language is STW that didn't get any update for a year now.
You misunderstood me. I am not talking about the in-game language. I am talking about my understanding of the sentence in the tweet. To me the tweet doesn't sound like all the upcoming patches will be huge on Xbox, Switch, ... In Fortnite . It sounded like this season patch will be huge, though.
The fact that is PC and PS5 only got the smallest updates means the obvious (btw PC update is smallest but takes ages to decompress if your CPU is so old so explains a lot).
And what is the obvious between Xbox Series X and PC?

Last edited:

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
arsene_P5 cyrribrae

Assassins Creed Valhalla

Borderlands 3

Immortals Rising Fenyx

Yakuza Like a Dragon:

Marvel's Avengers:

Some of the pictures:

Interesting! The differences between Avengers and Valhalla are massive. So massive that it almost makes me wonder if it really is just compression haha. Thanks for doing the work, though! I'm really curious how this changes over the generation. I imagine PlayStation will continue to work on this and working with Oodle, and we get the sense that a lot of Xbox backend features are still coming in/being implemented. Will definitely be happy if this continues to get better over time, regardless :D

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
You misunderstood me. I am not talking about the in-game language. I am talking about my understanding of the sentence in the tweet. To me the tweet doesn't sound like all the upcoming patches will be huge on Xbox, Switch, ... In Fortnite . It sounded like this season patch will be huge, though.

And what is the obvious between Xbox Series X and PC?

Fortnite Season 8 Update Download Size: How Big Is the File Size?

Fortnite Season 8 is almost here, this is what you should know about the download size.
Here the actual sizes of the updates : I think it's a matter of rights than actual power itself. Cus even PS4 is even very small compared to Xbox. Epic owns RAD now so they can afford to have. small sizes on their own platform, Sony bought the license for Kraken so they can have it applied on their consoles (not the first time on PS4 since TLOUR got an update on PS4 that made the loadings considerably short).

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Is this update silly like Ghost of Tsushima update for PS4, where for 1GB update it ask 60GB of free space?
I would rather download a 20GB patch without asking me so much free space...

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
People hanging onto everything for any little console war advantage.

could be the result of quite a few different things that have nothing to do with PS5's magical compression tech. MS systems always seem to do patching differently than others. Not for the better IMO.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020

Fortnite Season 8 Update Download Size: How Big Is the File Size?

Fortnite Season 8 is almost here, this is what you should know about the download size.
Here the actual sizes of the updates : I think it's a matter of rights than actual power itself. Cus even PS4 is even very small compared to Xbox. Epic owns RAD now so they can afford to have. small sizes on their own platform, Sony bought the license for Kraken so they can have it applied on their consoles (not the first time on PS4 since TLOUR got an update on PS4 that made the loadings considerably short).
Yes, something is definitely going on and as you said it could be rights as weird as it would be, considering RAD is now owned by Epic and everyone including them can use Oodle for free on all platforms for UE iirc. The Xbox size of the Fortnite patch is definitely huge (iirc almost the full game 😒). Let's hope this is a exception.

Btw: you mentioned Ghostrunner and that game is slightly smaller on Xbox (10,2GB vs 10,7GB on PS). So one of the rare ones.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I keep seeing this thread title and it bugs me that it says "10x smaller" instead of 1/10th the size. Or even "90% smaller" which would have still been attention-grabbing.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Can this be the reason? Edit- nevermind this has been brought up in the previous page.

www.extremetech.com

PlayStation 5 Hits Game Data Compression Ratios the Xbox Doesn't Touch - ExtremeTech

Sony's PlayStation 5 offers much smaller downloads for some games compared with the Xbox Series S|X. We dive into the compression technology behind the company's achievements.
Ryzen does better — and the PS5 has hardware Kraken support built-in.

One point that RAD makes is that while Microsoft uses a different method for compressing textures on the Xbox Series S|X, BCPack, Oodle Texture can run on the system. The difference between the two platforms is that Sony paid for a platform-wide license for Oodle Texture and built a hardware Kraken implementation directly into the platform to accelerate an algorithm that can run in software on the PC.

Hoddi

Mar 29, 2021
Apparently this isn't due to Kraken because the compression ratio is mathematically impossible. Maybe Kraken + the way files work in the PS5 api. I'd have to imagine much of the entire game is redownloading on XSX.

Ya, different packaging formats seem like a likelier cause than compression. Today's patch (on PC) is literally just a single 16.7GB file named patch.dat. If the PS5 version is that much smaller then it's likely actually patching one of the preexisting files instead of fully replacing it with a new one.

I figure it's more similar to how many GOG games (like Cyberpunk) are patched on PC. Most of these patches are only a few hundred megabytes but actually installing them reads and rewrites pretty much the entire game's size back to disk. This can take a very long time on HDD but isn't a major problem on SSD.

Last edited:

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Kraken should be about 20% better than MS' solution, give or take a little.

Tanod

Nov 9, 2017
For someone who hasn't updated yet: please check the total game install size before and after update and change in available space on the drive.

It would go a long way in understanding what's going on behind the scenes.

Edit: Maybe the PS5 UI is misstating the amount of data it actually needs to download? Anybody have a metered connection they can use to verify?

Last edited: