• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Critics of this show pretend like everyone was all "yeah, whatever, I'm going back to Minecraft" when the Bin Laden raid was announced live.

Shit was an event.

Sokrates

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Critics of this show pretend like everyone was all "yeah, whatever, I'm going back to Minecraft" when the Bin Laden raid was announced live.

Shit was an event.

It's not so much that people are denying the event it's status but rather it's about how it was used in the show for melodramatic purposes to make the main character look solemn and correct. If it had just played out with the journalists and pilots cheering without the whole confrontation between the character and flight attendant people would be fine.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018

giphy.gif

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
It's not so much that people are denying the event it's status but rather it's about how it was used in the show for melodramatic purposes to make the main character look solemn and correct. If it had just played out with the journalists and pilots cheering without the whole confrontation between the character and flight attendant people would be fine.

The point of that scene is that he's losing his shit on an airplane when it's totally not okay to lose your shit on an airplane in a post-9/11 world.

His pause is coming to an understanding of what the pilots and flight crew are being dicks about - the original hijacking completely changed Western air travel.

Sokrates

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The point of that scene is that he's losing his shit on an airplane when it's totally not okay to lose your shit on an airplane in a post-9/11 world.

His pause is coming to an understanding of what the pilots and flight crew are being dicks about - the original hijacking completely changed Western air travel.

Was it really necessary for him to refer to the flight attendant as crazy lady? It just reeks of sexism. And the whole reason for him being confrontational is stupid. He could have just said it casually without taking over the plane.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I liked it, it's also outstandingly pretentious and pompous. Every one in it is so self-righteous, so just like Era (jk)
Never watched West Wing but that was the same feeling I got from Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
I liked it, it's also outstandingly pretentious and pompous. Every one in it is so self-righteous, so just like Era (jk)
Never watched West Wing but that was the same feeling I got from Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.
I don't think (jk) is needed.

For the record I really like Sorkin dialog and enjoys most of his work.

TTG

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I liked The Newsroom despite all of the objectively terrible things about it(which would take the better part of an hour to list). Fortunately for anyone one the fence, this is a show where the pilot is a real high point, so that makes it easy. The last season is an outright disaster, but I really started to enjoy Munn's character.

I was considering linking the opening scene to counter that airplane clip everyone is quoting, but I think it's yet another thing Trump has ruined.

One of my fav shows and I've been on a mission to civilize for years since

Progress is slow, but we're in it for the long haul.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I generally liked it, but it bothered me a bit how most (all?) characters seemed to be just mouthpieces for Sorkin and everyone seemed to be loaded with witty quips to lash out at any moment. The characters didn't feel natural and distinct enough because of this.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
Season 2 is strong. Interesting premise and a show stopping scene from Jane Fonda.
Several actually, but I think I see the one you're referring to. Sam Waterston is godlike in every single episode as well. I don't think I've ever seen an actor channel such a perfect cable news president. He's a bit cliché at times I guess, but great nonetheless, down to the bow tie.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
I liked it, but they actors speak really fast. Not ideal if you aren't a native speaker. A season about 2016 would be fun.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
There's something fundamentally hilarious to me about Sorkin making a show whose premise is that good journalism can educate the public, improve the national discourse, and change the world, but then have American politics and culture play out almost exactly as it does in our world.

At least with the West Wing, where Bartlett was an idealised President, Sorkin didn't really follow our reality and could depict Bartlett actually achieving things that weren't achieved in reality!

Yes! This is exactly the criticism I would mention and it's ultimately the greatest summing up of how impotent and pathetic Sorkin's worldview is. The entire foundation of the show is "man, wouldn't the world be different if the Goddamn News would actually Stand For Something? Wouldn't the world be a different place?" and then, no, actually, the world is exactly the same, it just has self righteous liberals monologuing on the news about how This Country Used To Be Something, Dammit, and literally everything just plays out exactly the same thing as in reality anyway. Nothing has changed. Nothing is better.

Even with the West Wing honestly, despite Sorkin being able to write a liberal fanfiction version of a Presidency, even in his idealised fantasies, the President for the most part of the show accomplishes practically nothing and most major achievements are ideally "bipartisan." The show left-punches pretty commonly, it's just, again, Sorkin writing characters as mouthpieces to make overly-wordy and melodramatic speeches Dawson's Creek-style without any actual ideological core to how average people benefit from them doing whatever it is they're doing. It's this weird ideology of pageantry.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017

This show is peak neoliberal Sorkin nonsense.

I love watching this clip. It's like an onion of awful with so many layers. Of note, I'm pretty sure it was a bad idea for the captain to come out of the cockpit like that. What if this guy was really a terrorist wanting to take over the plane?