• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
ipVzbwp.png

Always wanted to get into this show. I watched a few things here and there, but for the most part I just kept putting it off. Intimidated mostly by the 100+ episode run. I plan on watching the original series 1-145, then the 6 films. Then I'll move on to the spin-off material.

Gonna be a fun ride. The music is great. I am currently on episode 6;

"Phoenix! The Warrior who Saw Hell"

What's your experience with the series for those of you who watched it? I'm very excited. Over the years I've heard alot of good things about it. It's kind of slow and awkward now but I'm gonna stick with it. I know it gets way better after this tournament stuff.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
Well, my preference is the manga, but if there's two things the anime did to perfection that a manga can't do, it's the A+ score by Seiji Yokoyama and the phenomenal voice acting, including greats like Tohru Furuya, Ryo Horikawa, Keiko Han, and more.

The filler I'm mostly not a fan of, and some of the designs I feel were a step down from the originals (I understand the simplification of the Gold Cloths made animation easier, but I liked the depth the designs had...also, preferred non-animal helmets).

But it's mostly an enjoyable ride during Sanctuary, some flaws aside. Too bad Toei had to change the creative staff and tank the animation budget after that point.

OP
OP
Liquor

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
Well, my preference is the manga, but if there's two things the anime did to perfection that a manga can't do, it's the A+ score by Seiji Yokoyama and the phenomenal voice acting, including greats like Tohru Furuya, Ryo Horikawa, Keiko Han, and more.

The filler I'm mostly not a fan of, and some of the designs I feel were a step down from the originals (I understand the simplification of the Gold Cloths made animation easier, but I liked the depth the designs had...also, preferred non-animal helmets).

But it's mostly an enjoyable ride during Sanctuary, some flaws aside. Too bad Toei had to change the creative staff and tank the animation budget after that point.
Do you have any examples of the armor designs being different/less detailed? Haven't really seen anything from the manga, so I don't know the differences.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
Do you have any examples of the armor designs being different/less detailed? Haven't really seen anything from the manga, so I don't know the differences.

Well, for instance, Seiya's Pegasus Bronze Cloth goes through three designs during the first 13 volumes, a time in which the anime doesn't change them at all.

Another major change was Capricorn Shura, whose helmet in the manga still let his hair be visible and the horns were coming off of the front, not a viking style helmet. Virgo Shaka's chest design also majorly changed from manga to anime.

But when I mean less detailed, it's visual. The manga designs looked like there was depth and texture to the details, like you could touch them and feel raised metal. The anime designs always looked like the detail was painted on (obviously it was, but I mean in universe it looks painted on).

Stephen Home

Alt account
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
If you get bored, just skip to the zodiac run. Amazing stages. My favorote Virgo stage.

This is my 14 year old self talking.

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
+1 for the OST
The melancholy is strong on this one, gives the sad theme from YuYu Hakusho a run for its money.

I only watched it once tho, a long time ago, so my memory is super foggy. But the few scenes that jump to mind, brings some really fond memories. Enjoy the ride.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I watched this stuff in my childhood, not sure how compelling the whole thing still is today but there were some really great moments in the show. I remember it grabbing me immediately with the first episode, 12 year-old me had never seen something like this.

IvPmUGc.gif

4enxIXZ.gif

yFDzEtA.gif

One of my first introductions to anime that I can remember. I don't remember if the quality of the animation keeps up but that first episode is etched into my mind.

It really bums me out that Netflix remade it in CGI.

Last edited:

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Sanctuary arc is the best part of the original series. The original series never reached the same heights afterward.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Is it the non censored version ? The orginal anime was incredibly violent (I remember Ikki VS 2 silver cloths, that was quite something) and uncensored on its first airing in France, and they butchered it afterwards.

The OST is incredible, on par with the Hokuto no Ken one.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
Is it the non censored version ? The orginal anime was incredibly violent (I remember Ikki VS 2 silver cloths, that was quite something) and uncensored on its first airing in France, and they butchered it afterwards.

The OST is incredible, on par with the Hokuto no Ken one.

Oh, if you thought the anime was violent, you should see the manga...

Nachi+desmembrado.JPG

80s Weekly Shonen Jump could do crazy things, just ask Fist of the North Star, lol.

Also yeah, Fist of the North Star had an amazing soundtrack. Toei always had great music. Fist of the North Star, Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya, all had masterful scores.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I stopped after Seiya defeats the Silver Saint and has to rescue Athena or something. I should get back to it.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
Not in netflix brasil, if they make it available here netflix would see a huge spike in subs.
Its awesome, you will love the golden knights saga.

OP
OP
Liquor

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, if you thought the anime was violent, you should see the manga...

Nachi+desmembrado.JPG

80s Weekly Shonen Jump could do crazy things, just ask Fist of the North Star, lol.

Also yeah, Fist of the North Star had an amazing soundtrack. Toei always had great music. Fist of the North Star, Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya, all had masterful scores.
Holy shit! Had no idea. But then again I'm on ep 9 and every single punch and hit leads to globs of blood coming out their face and body.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
As far as 80s anime goes the animation itself is probably some of the best. It's an excellent series and fun.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Saint Seiya is phenomenal, I watched all the way until the end of the Zodiac houses just to cleanse the bad taste of the new Netflix series.

It holds up in many ways, others not so much but it's still a great time. Definitely the Silver Knights arc is the most boring part.

Also, Asgard is a really good arc and it has the best music on the entire show!

May 13, 2019
Can you believe this anime was aired as a completedly uncensored after-school show in LatAm? At least it was in Chile.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to see your impressions my dude !

Also after you are done with the Sanctuary arc feel free the watch the first two movies. Pretty cool "filler" arcs of sorts with gorgeous music.

And gratz on going with the superior original version and not the shit ass netflix garbage.

El sueño

Feb 4, 2018
The Asgard arc is perfection made animation. The characters and their motivation to overcome inner conflicts in every fight is fucking brilliant. Wait and see. In Chile is not on Netflix... sadly, because I want to introduce the show to my five years old son.

Last edited:

El Buga

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Also, Asgard is a really good arc and it has the best music on the entire show!
Asgard is the best anime filler I ever watched. But for sure the ace soundtrack is responsible for that also!

As for the drawings, all episodes directly drawn by Master Shingo Araki himself are incredibly well done and totally worth it, even if they are sparse overall.

His Saint Seiya works are directly responsible for my desire to start drawing myself.

MrChocolate

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The Asgard arc is perfection made animation. The characters and their motivation behind every fight is fucking brilliant. Wait and see. In Chile is not on Netflix... sadly, because I want to introduce the show to my five years old son.

Crunchyroll my friend. Latam Dub also. I guess you can watch it for free but with ads.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
As a kid, SS was my absolute favorite. I had to search for it on all small local channels my tv could receive, and sometimes the image was so bad it was almost impossible to understand what was going on (ah the delights of analog tv...). Who cares, it was worth it.

Also, the Italian adaptation is kinda famous for taking some liberties with the original material, they made every character talk like they were straight out of an epic poem like the Iliad, it wasn't very faithful but set the perfect mood for a truly epic tale.
My only real complaint is calling the main character "Pegasus". Even as a kid I thought it sounded dumb. Of course he's going to win the armor of Pegasus, that's his fucking name!

edit: spoiler tag added, it's very very minor though