• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
I'm shocked how faithful to the comic this is for such a big production. They are just dumping people into a world assuming they read a 30+ year old comic lol. I love it!

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I'm shocked how faithful to the comic this is for such a big production. They are just dumping people into a world assuming they read a 30+ year old comic lol. I love it!

I actually think it works to the detriment of the show when it comes to appealing to the masses. Great fan service for us but massive confusion for the casual viewer.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The show could use with having a recap of the comic in the HBO website or something.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
My S/o was completely confused with all the Dr. Manhattan stuff. They for sure should explain it. Veidt's play etc just looks like the ravings of a lunatic.

From the marketing, it wasn't sold as a direct sequel, but it really is

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I actually think it works to the detriment of the show when it comes to appealing to the masses. Great fan service for us but massive confusion for the casual viewer.

I think it does sour it a bit for the casual viewer. My brother texted me after ep2 admitting he had no idea what was going on with a lot of stuff, so I explained some things and shot him a link to the motion comics that are going around. Even so he didn't seem aware that it was the second Silk Spectre in ep3. And I don't blame him - even if one saw the movie it wouldn't be readily apparent.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I think it does sour it a bit for the casual viewer. My brother texted me after ep2 admitting he had no idea what was going on with a lot of stuff, so I explained some things and shot him a link to the motion comics that are going around. Even so he didn't seem aware that it was the second Silk Spectre in ep3. And I don't blame him - even if one saw the movie it wouldn't be readily apparent.

FWIW, I wrote the comment after one of my coworkers said he is done with the show.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
While I think it's great and wild the showrunners have no chill about the series being a sequel of the comic setting's wise and also highjacking that world to tell a story about different themes, yeah I'm not sure about that'll work with people that never read the book or only saw the movie. Like my girlfriend straight went to the wiki page during the second episode because the Veidt shenanigans lost her.

EDIT : The OST fucking slaps.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Thankfully both my parents have watched Lost and The Leftovers, so they were well primed for shenanigans. They're still a bit confused but they also know just to let it play out. Hopefully the show sticks the landing.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Vol 1 tracklist

TRACKLIST:

1. How The West Was Really Won
2. Orphans Of Krypton
3. Garryowen
4. At Midnight
5. Objects In Mirror (Are Closer Than They Appear)
6. Kattle Battle
7. American Promo Story
8. I'll Wait
9. Trigger Warning
10. The Brick
11. Never Surrender
12. Müller Time
13. Owl Hunts Rat
14. Absent Friends And Old Ghosts
15. Watch Over This Boy

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Vol 1 tracklist

TRACKLIST:

1. How The West Was Really Won
2. Orphans Of Krypton
3. Garryowen
4. At Midnight
5. Objects In Mirror (Are Closer Than They Appear)
6. Kattle Battle
7. American Promo Story
8. I'll Wait
9. Trigger Warning
10. The Brick
11. Never Surrender
12. Müller Time
13. Owl Hunts Rat
14. Absent Friends And Old Ghosts
15. Watch Over This Boy
I need this in my veins.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Almost certainly.

So did Veidt make these clones or did Dr. Manhattan? Or did Dr. Manhattan make them with the input of Veidt, especially considering he said that he designed them to not doubt him.
I had originally thought that Veidt had made them as a continuation of his genetic experiments, but if he's on Mars, you have to think that Manhattan made them for Veidt as part of his terms of "imprisonment". And it seems likely that Veidt is on Mars, given how that would explain why he's stuck using all this medieval-ass tech. And that in the preview it looks like
he's trying to launch that capsule into space with a catapault

So, uh, that should be fun to watch. Dunno what his plan is once he gets there.

dapperbandit

Oct 30, 2017
So I have two big thoughts after episode 3.

First is a theory/prediction: Veidt is actually
on Mars in a prison Dr Manhattan has built for him as punishment for his crimes on Squid Day. He's also isolated and can't let on what he actually did if he ever felt like it. This lines up with Veidt having the clones act out Manhattan's transformation story. Also the skull and crossbones sign harks back to the pirate side story in the book, insinuating that Veidt is marooned

The second is a concern about the presentation of the Tulsa PD. I can't help but feel with the way their treatment of the suspected seventh kavalry members is being presented (baton raids of the community, detention centres with attack dogs, dna tests, torture, violating their civil rights then joking about it) that this is all going to blow up in their face in a big way. That and/or the show writers wanted you to reflect on how after all the real world criticism of police brutality there has been of late how okay you are with it when its happening to racists.

Con_Smith

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I have two big thoughts after episode 3.

First is a theory/prediction: Veidt is actually
on Mars in a prison Dr Manhattan has built for him as punishment for his crimes on Squid Day. He's also isolated and can't let on what he actually did if he ever felt like it. This lines up with Veidt having the clones act out Manhattan's transformation story. Also the skull and crossbones sign harks back to the pirate side story in the book, insinuating that Veidt is marooned

The second is a concern about the presentation of the Tulsa PD. I can't help but feel with the way their treatment of the suspected seventh kavalry members is being presented (baton raids of the community, detention centres with attack dogs, dna tests, torture, violating their civil rights then joking about it) that this is all going to blow up in their face in a big way. That and/or the show writers wanted you to reflect on how after all the real world criticism of police brutality there has been of late how okay you are with it when its happening to racists.

I like that reading because to your casual persone coming into this or informed person with questionable politics it puts an interesting conflict in the mind of a certain type of viewer. Unfortunately the type of person who needs to think about that is probably to busy wondering why politics are involved in their tv show.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I think they'll soon need to pick up the pace. We're 3 episodes in and still no clue about what's going on really.

Unless
The Governor setting all this up for his personal agenda is the first season plot. No one's really interested in a plot like that really, I personally am interested in finding out what happens with the original characters and how they fit in the current world.

Wooden Robot

Oct 27, 2017
While I think it's great and wild the showrunners have no chill about the series being a sequel of the comic setting's wise and also highjacking that world to tell a story about different themes, yeah I'm not sure about that'll work with people that never read the book or only saw the movie. Like my girlfriend straight went to the wiki page during the second episode because the Veidt shenanigans lost her.

EDIT : The OST fucking slaps.
Yeah they are starting to lose my wife with all the references she has no idea about. I tried giving her a rundown but by the time I got to "a guy becomes a blue god in a lab accident" I could see she kind of drifted into her own thoughts and stopped listening.
I was thinking I might have to show her the movie but that's a risky move because it's so Snyder.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm not really sure what to make of Veidt. He is more cunning than Manhattan, and also, Manhattan didn't give a shit about him at the conclusion of the comic. So I can't imagine he'd be his prisoner in any way now.

If this is the real Veidt he is going to do some wild shit.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Anyone listened to the first episode of the podcast yet? Just starting while I have my coffee and breakfast.

edit: They're doing an episode of the podcast for every three TV episodes. That's a bummer.

Yeah they are starting to lose my wife with all the references she has no idea about. I tried giving her a rundown but by the time I got to "a guy becomes a blue god in a lab accident" I could see she kind of drifted into her own thoughts and stopped listening.
I was thinking I might have to show her the movie but that's a risky move because it's so Snyder.

The only thing my wife remembers from the movie is the horrible sex scene in the owl ship.

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
The NIN website still says Vol. 1 is released today, but it's not showing on (UK) Spotify yet.

I really enjoyed this episode, the actress playing Laurie is perfect.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think most of the confusing, weird things are all that big a deal right now. Focusing on what we have been told rather than what we haven't is going to make for a more pleasant viewing. We have been told a lot about Dr Manhattan. But the big takeaway is that he is an actual superhero with powers that has left Earth and is on Mars. Episode 3 established he had/has a relationship (sexual, as suggested by the dildo) with Laurie.

The Veidt storyline is separate for now. But clearly relates because there are parallels and references. Don't overthink it.The show is telling us it will link up with the other storylines.

Questions are good, but don't get wrapped up in them. Enjoy the scenes for what they are (if you do, obviously they won't entertain everyone) and hang on to the Tulsa storyline the most. It's the major one right now. You follow that and take note of the weird things happening, you'll be okay as the series progresses. Otherwise just check out. That's okay too.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I don't think most of the confusing, weird things are all that big a deal right now. Focusing on what we have been told rather than what we haven't is going to make for a more pleasant viewing. We have been told a lot about Dr Manhattan. But the big takeaway is that he is an actual superhero with powers that has left Earth and is on Mars. Episode 3 established he had/has a relationship (sexual, as suggested by the dildo) with Laurie.

The Veidt storyline is separate for now. But clearly relates because there are parallels and references. Don't overthink it.The show is telling us it will link up with the other storylines.

Questions are good, but don't get wrapped up in them. Enjoy the scenes for what they are (if you do, obviously they won't entertain everyone) and hang on to the Tulsa storyline the most. It's the major one right now. You follow that and take note of the weird things happening, you'll be okay as the series progresses. Otherwise just check out. That's okay too.

Good advice, this is how I feel whenever I see people get upset about being confused or not having everything explained immediately.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Great first podcast episode. Super informative.

Lindelof:
"Every question you just asked... all of those things are answered very definitively."
"If you are worried, you should be worried."
"These are not parallel storylines, they are converging storylines."

Flex1212

Jul 12, 2019
As a fan of the original Watchmen Comic and the Leftovers this show is hitting all the spots for me. CAN'T WAIT FOR EP 4.

FlexMentallo

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Loving the show.

The Veidt on Mars theory is feeling pretty solid to me. The Black Freighter iconography definitely signals this as some sort of purgatory.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Same, I read the book but it was many years ago and I can't imagine how anyone who hasn't read it at all would feel much attachment to these characters. Aside from the performances I mean, and they are really good.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lindelof:
"Every question you just asked... all of those things are answered very definitively."

I don't believe you.

Curious to see how good they are going to make Dr. Manhattan look. Or what kind of excuse they are going to use for not showing him in all his prime CGI glory.

I didn't really get what the big blue dildo was supposed to signal? That in this version she never moved on from John like she did in the comic and movie?

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Yeah, that Veidt theory is pretty solid. I wonder why Manhattan would've done that though. Seemed pretty indifferent by the end of the original run.

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain the brick joke? After watching this episode I watched Bojack Horseman that had the exact same joke with a gardener and bags of mulch. I don't get it. Is it a reference to something?

EDIT

Just to clarify, I understood all of the references to the Watchmen comic but the throwing the extra brick thing was pretty much the same as the Bojack joke where the extra bag of mulch was thrown over the interstate. :/

Last edited:

CaptSpaulding

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
I'm not really sure what to make of Veidt. He is more cunning than Manhattan, and also, Manhattan didn't give a shit about him at the conclusion of the comic. So I can't imagine he'd be his prisoner in any way now.

If this is the real Veidt he is going to do some wild shit.

Yeah Manhattan imprisoning Veidt doesn't make much sense to me either. I don't know why Manhattan would waste his time or attention on Veidt, when he already said he no longer cares about humanity. Unless something major happened between Veidt and Manhattan that we are not aware of. And if he thought Veidt was a threat why wouldn't he have just vaporized him?