• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ed.

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the theories here are so convincing, it kinda feels like I am spoiling myself.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
So far I don't think it is in the same way but that's not the point. It's still an easter egg laden, cryptically dense follow up for the obsessive fan to a story that Moore didn't want.

Oh I am sure Moore hates the idea of it and wouldn't like it if he saw it. But not because it's some love letter to superheroes. It isn't.

Moore himself *did* a lot of comics which were love letters to superheroes himself, as a sort of atonement for how most comics went overly grim after Watchmen.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
If Alan Moore wasn't Alan Moore and got the opportunity to work on an Alan Moore property, his first response would be "Eat shit, Alan Moore", and Alan Moore would approve

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1 criticism about the show is NOT ENOUGH PANDA!

I said out loud " What the " a second before Angela said it I was on the floor

and after the chase he slided into the sewer and shouted WTF exactly when Angela angrily said it it killed me. I love when a show confuses you as much as its characters
Never have me and the main character been in sync when angela said that.
Regina King is an absolute treasure. The delivery in that whole Lube Man scene absolutely slayed me
I love her. So happy she's getting this platform. She is amazing and has always been.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Yeah Trieu seems set to be the new Ozymandias and I see two scenarios:

- She's a fan of Adrian and wants to free him, that would mean it was Manhattan who trapped him. Maybe the overall plot is trying to find a way to kill Manhattan?

- She's not a fan, she was the one who trapped him but I don't see why she keeps him alive then
respect maybe

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Mostly, I just really hope the wacky adventures of the man formerly known as Ozymandias lead to somewhere... that matters. At all. Because it seems increasingly likely that it's just an excuse for absurd vignettes while the circumstances leading to it are s l o w l y explained over the course of the season.

I liked the Ozy stuff at first but it's way too much now. Just get on with it.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Mostly, I just really hope the wacky adventures of the man formerly known as Ozymandias lead to somewhere... that matters. At all. Because it seems increasingly likely that it's just an excuse for absurd vignettes while the circumstances leading to it are s l o w l y explained over the course of the season.

I liked the Ozy stuff at first but it's way too much now. Just get on with it.
It's obviously the black freighter analogue, which similarly had no immediately obvious point or link to the rest of the plot until the end where it was explicitly tied to the themes of the book.

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Last week, after having watched episode 3, I had this weird thought:

There was a strange scene transition between with Veidt and the senator...

So, could the senator be related to Veidt, could he be his son?

Oct 25, 2017
Last week, after having watched episode 3, I had this weird thought:

There was a strange scene transition between with Veidt and the senator...

So, could the senator be related to Veidt, could he be his son?

No, the senator's father is the former senator that wrote the bill outlawing masked vigilante's during the 70s, who was also likely a Klan member that knew Judd's father.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I realise this isn't the comic OT but holy fuck I'd forgotten how amazing the chapter is where you find out what happened to Jon.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
This has been my favorite thing Lindolof's done up to this episode.

Lindelof tends to annoy me as a writer because, to me, his penchant for mystery-box plots tends to hide overambitious (and sometime just plain lazy) storytelling. It often doesn't seem like he has an end goal in mind, so he gives you a little bit of everything, and whatever the endgame consensus is that's most flattering to his story...well, that was the point all along!

But I've said to friends I watch this show with, Watchmen is the first thing I've watched by Lindelof that actually felt like it was going somewhere. There's a ton of mystery, but the narrative feels tight, like this is all going to matter in the end.

Until this episode.

I like that they didn't waste time with Lady Trieu's character and establishing where she fits in with the other characters. But the mystery is starting to feel overly obfuscated just to keep the audience in the dark (which, to me, is Lindelof at his worst), which made the conversation between Trieu and Will pretty hilarious and meta.

And I'm already tired of Veidt. So he's in a prison. That much is obvious. Why the hell should we care? We were introduced to a new character this episode and already have a better grasp of her purpose for the story than Veidt, who's just been doing a different version of the same thing for 3 episodes now. Get on with it.

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
According to reports from journalists and reviewers who have seen up to episode 6, episode 5 is when a lot of things get clearly explained. I can't wait, though I'm more than happy to go along with the ride. With how amazing Leftovers was from start to finish, and with Lindelof repeatedly definitively stating that basically all the mysteries get answered by the end of this 9 episode miniseries, I have utter faith that he (and his writers room and everyone else involved with the crew), will deliver.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Lindelof tends to annoy me as a writer because, to me, his penchant for mystery-box plots tends to hide overambitious (and sometime just plain lazy) storytelling. It often doesn't seem like he has an end goal in mind, so he gives you a little bit of everything, and whatever the endgame consensus is that's most flattering to his story...well, that was the point all along!

But I've said to friends I watch this show with, Watchmen is the first thing I've watched by Lindelof that actually felt like it was going somewhere. There's a ton of mystery, but the narrative feels tight, like this is all going to matter in the end.

Until this episode.

I like that they didn't waste time with Lady Trieu's character and establishing where she fits in with the other characters. But the mystery is starting to feel overly obfuscated just to keep the audience in the dark (which, to me, is Lindelof at his worst), which made the conversation between Trieu and Will pretty hilarious and meta.

And I'm already tired of Veidt. So he's in a prison. That much is obvious. Why the hell should we care? We were introduced to a new character this episode and already have a better grasp of her purpose for the story than Veidt, who's just been doing a different version of the same thing for 3 episodes now. Get on with it.

Not 3 whole episodes!

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017

Until this episode.

Given that the Veidt scenes were all the first stuff shot for weather reasons before they had a chance to script out the rest of the series, I believe they have an endgame in mind where it all ties into everything eventually.

Just that we start to see Trieu's tie to Veidt (by buying his company and having a statue to the currently aged version of him) as well as how she knows Will makes me think that we'll see how things connect sooner than later.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I don't know how people can understand WTF is going on unless you have read the comic.

I don't either but my 70ish parents both started watching this before I did and they had never heard of the comic and could care less about comics in general, my dad was a huge lost fan though. I told them about the basic ideas in the comic and told my dad "Veidt is kinda like Lex Luthor and I don't know what's going on with him either". They're still very on board.