• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
I get the feeling that the American Hero Story will work similarly to The Black Freighter from the original comic.

Anyway, I really dug that opening. I'm really down to see where this goes.

If anyone is wondering, yes, they are deliberately invoking American Horror Story with this and they got Ryan Murphy's blessing for it, too. Seems nothing in the show has gone without a purpose or consideration.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Some of you are being incredibly kind in your vision of Rorschach in 2019. It's not like he'd be the same guy he was in 1985, transported to today. He'd more likely be a racist, soup-brained conservative that sees the Kavalry as restoring order to an imbalanced country that lost its way the night the Comedian took the big sleep.

I mean, this is the same guy who romanticized Truman's era ("A days work for a days pay.") and speculated on single mothers cheating the welfare system. You think he'd be pro-reparations? LOL come on.
It's one thing to be on the wrong side of an issue, it's another to condone and advocate the murder of both people of color and police officers, something I find it very hard to believe Kovacs would be okay with people doing in his image. Rorschach himself died because he couldn't allow himself to be even tangentially associated with the murder of millions of innocents, I don't see why he would be okay with the organized murder of innocents in his name.

Duo VII

Banned
Dec 11, 2017
I heard a interesting theory about the little boy at the start/old man at the end. That he could be the Hooded Justice of the original Minutemen. I can't remember what happened to him in the comic but I guess it was never explained?

Would be cool to see his reaction to his "hero" being lionized on tv and likely changed a ton.
He was the one that prevented Sally Jupter's rape. In the original story, it's implied that he was assassinated by Eddie Blake/The Comedian. I don't think he's the old man, but what is interesting is that he asks Angela if he can lift 200 pounds. Maybe he's a precog as a result of the squid attack?

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Whats up with the squid rain? Ozzy or Dr Manhattan messing with them? How the heck do they have Nite Owls ship? How did Rorshach become a symbol of hate for white supremacists?

For those curious about the white supremacist group choosing to wear Rorschach masks, recall that in Watchmen Rorschach delivers his journal to that news organization. It's just enough information, through just the right outlet, to create a major conspiracy theory about the truth of the squid and the role the government played in it. Also note that the government and Robert Redford have apparently issued reparations. So, we have white supremacists who hate what the government has done with reparations (racist kid saying Redfordations) who believe the government faked the squid (the pod interview + questions about conspiracy theories) wearing the mask of the guy who likely created those conspiracy theories. They're likely wearing his mask because they view him as a symbol of anti-government and truth, rather than as a racist martyr. The only thing I'm not clear on is the name of the group, the Cavalry.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
It's one thing to be on the wrong side of an issue, it's another to condone and advocate the murder of both people of color and police officers, something I find it very hard to believe Kovacs would be okay with people doing in his image. Rorschach himself died because he couldn't allow himself to be even tangentially associated with the murder of millions of innocents, I don't see why he would be okay with the organized murder of innocents in his name.

Like I said, you're ignoring thirty years of context, specifically political and ideological progression. I don't think it's any leap to argue Rorschach would be in the same book with these guys if not on the same page in 2019. He was certainly getting there.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For those curious about the white supremacist group choosing to wear Rorschach masks, recall that in Watchmen Rorschach delivers his journal to that news organization. It's just enough information, through just the right outlet, to create a major conspiracy theory about the truth of the squid and the role the government played in it. Also note that the government and Robert Redford have apparently issued reparations. So, we have white supremacists who hate what the government has done with reparations (racist kid saying Redfordations) who believe the government faked the squid (the pod interview + questions about conspiracy theories) wearing the mask of the guy who likely created those conspiracy theories. The only thing I'm not clear on is the name of the group, the Cavalry.
Calvary ties into Little Bighorn (the message on the pager). They also showed an image of Custer in the pod.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Calvary ties into Little Bighorn (the message on the pager). They also showed an image of Custer in the pod.
Ah, so it's about the 7th Cavalry cult believing they're pulling off a Custer's Last Stand, then. Kinda makes sense? In that they feel like they're surrounded by the enemy. And the race stuff, too. But there must be something more to it, as they're taking on the role of a government body. An army. Bit contradictory. Hmm.

Maybe Custer won in this timeline?

Last edited:

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does it really matter if Kovacs would have aligned with Cavalry or not? I thought it was clear they are just idolizing someone they don't understand. And I don't even think Rorschach was a "good" guy but I also don't think he'd become a white supremacist. Maybe if he lived to get old, though. Could definitely see him just getting more angry/afraid/conservative.

My take on Veidt's servants was his attempt at creating human life (like he did with the cat and the squids) but their naivety and struggling at simple tasks shows he hasn't perfected it yet.
For sure. Veidt is clearly happy with them only to a certain extent.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Would think we only get Dr Manhattan in flashbacks, whole dynamic of the show changes if he decides to come back and participate in humanity again

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
Way too early in the season to be saying this yet, but the sort of vibe I get from this is similar to how Blade Runner 2049 made me feel. Both that movie and this feel like the best kind of sequels where they are continuing the story in a way that echoes the original's tone and intent, but without being a beat for beat copy. Really loved this pilot. TBH after Lindelof released that letter about this whole thing, I thought we might be in for something special. He seems to really love and understand the source material and I think that really comes through.

Panda was amazing

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely wasnt what i was expecting but the whole tone of the show was pitch perfect. The score was amazing as well

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
For those curious about the white supremacist group choosing to wear Rorschach masks, recall that in Watchmen Rorschach delivers his journal to that news organization. It's just enough information, through just the right outlet, to create a major conspiracy theory about the truth of the squid and the role the government played in it. Also note that the government and Robert Redford have apparently issued reparations. So, we have white supremacists who hate what the government has done with reparations (racist kid saying Redfordations) who believe the government faked the squid (the pod interview + questions about conspiracy theories) wearing the mask of the guy who likely created those conspiracy theories. They're likely wearing his mask because they view him as a symbol of anti-government and truth, rather than as a racist martyr. The only thing I'm not clear on is the name of the group, the Cavalry.
This is a very minor point, but the group is called the "Kavalry." The K could be for Kovacs or it could be some kind of nod at KKK.

(I watched with the subtitles on, and it was always spelled that way with a capital K.)

latex

Jul 5, 2018
My god. So many curveballs in this premiere, some very powerful moments (that opening was a jaw dropper), and I'm very intrigued by the Jeremy Irons character but uh... no clue what's going on here lmao. I know literally nothing about Watchmen.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Also good gracious is Regina King a great actor. This show is something else. Seriously watching her go from motherly caretaker to Batman vigilante in a moment was amazing.

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
I'll keep going because that's what I do, but why am I watching a cop drama that is about white supremecay outside of the police? How am I supposed to watch this and not think the entire time "boy this is some blue lives matter bullshit"? I would not suprise me at all if something changes that reframes this, but it's incredibly hard to engage with the characters when this is in my head the whole time. Not great for a week by week show.

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
Haven't read the comic or seen the movie... thinking I probably need one or the other after only getting like 60% of the first episode.

Some people in here seriously wondering how an Alt Right movement could model themselves after Rorscach?
i-will-whisper-no.jpg
Wtf what is this Travis Bickle from Taxi Driver ripoff nonsense...

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
While it was certainly a pretty decent start, I'm not 100% sold just yet. I may have just been sullied by the Zack Snyder movie's overly stylized vision, but man does this show look plain most of the time. It's hard to believe that this is a universe where
Dr. Manhattan re-materialized as a partially muscled skeleton, Ozymandias caught a bullet in his bare hands, and a giant squid crushed New York.
I guess a part of that may just be the Oklahoma setting, but I'm hoping there's a bit more visual excess in the upcoming episodes. I'm not asking for Zack Snyder speed ramping or anything, but even a more Dave Gibbons color palette would go a long way.

it'll probably be a build up. first season of GoT (having not read the books) i thought there could never be anything like dragons, crazy magic, ect

i like how rather subdued it is but yeah from a glance it doesn't have much "character"

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I liked Don Johnson's character from the limited time we saw him.

He seemed cool, although judging from the coke and ominous father photo he may have had some demons/skeletons in the closet.

Last edited:

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit the music. Trent Reznor

Right when Night Sister got off her car the world feels live in. Good world building.

Damn. I knew Don Johnson was going to die, but not that soon. I actually like his character

I'm sold. They even got the squid

Sitting here and listening to the credits.

Foxashel

Banned
Jul 18, 2019
This is the most Lindelof show to have ever Lindeloffed.

I agree. Which is why it is so amazing. It has tackled and answered more issues than 5 seasons of The Wire, has established better family dynamics than anything from the Sopranos, and has more emotional weight than anything from Six Feet Under.

Lindelof just pushed the medium forward. I'm even tempted to say he just pushed art forward.

I don't cry often, but here I am typing this response, truly moved at the beauty Lindelof has created.

I can't wait to watch the remaining episodes of the greatest show of all time.

caffe misto

Oct 25, 2017
the electric city
I'll keep going because that's what I do, but why am I watching a cop drama that is about white supremecay outside of the police? How am I supposed to watch this and not think the entire time "boy this is some blue lives matter bullshit"? I would not suprise me at all if something changes that reframes this, but it's incredibly hard to engage with the characters when this is in my head the whole time. Not great for a week by week show.
Like you said, the show is going to probably reframe this or add context at some point, but imo it's going to be a very heavy lift.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Very intriguing start. Excellent imagery, direction, acting, and soundtrack. Can't wait to see where this goes.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Judd clearly wasn't fully on the up and up. The focus on the family picture racist kid plus his comments on the all black Oklahoma cast not having their heart in it were big clues. The show bookended things with a hero killing the corrupt sheriff and then he dies at the end. He was corrupt.

I'll keep going because that's what I do, but why am I watching a cop drama that is about white supremacy outside of the police? How am I supposed to watch this and not think the entire time "boy this is some blue lives matter bullshit"? I would not suprise me at all if something changes that reframes this, but it's incredibly hard to engage with the characters when this is in my head the whole time. Not great for a week by week show.
I feel like this is trying to jam it into the simplest possible box without taking any complexity shown even so far into account.

Last edited:

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, so it's about the 7th Cavalry cult believing they're pulling off a Custer's Last Stand, then. Kinda makes sense? In that they feel like they're surrounded by the enemy. And the race stuff, too. But there must be something more to it, as they're taking on the role of a government body. An army. Bit contradictory. Hmm.

Maybe Custer won in this timeline?

Doubtful be won. The Watchmen universe is basically the same as ours until like the 1930s and 40s when there started to be masked heroes.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I agree. Which is why it is so amazing. It has tackled and answered more issues than 5 seasons of The Wire, has established better family dynamics than anything from the Sopranos, and has more emotional weight than anything from Six Feet Under.

Lindelof just pushed the medium forward. I'm even tempted to say he just pushed art forward.

I don't cry often, but here I am typing this response, truly moved at the beauty Lindelof has created.

I can't wait to watch the remaining episodes of the greatest show of all time.

Erigu?

Foxashel

Banned
Jul 18, 2019
I'm assuming the picture in his closet was of him and his dad. It was an old picture. His dad probably had something to do with the Tulsa Riots. And those values were instilled in him. Now he is a cop.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Think it's pretty clear they aren't reeling. As the squid rain showed, this is just another daily inconvenience at this point. Veidt failed.

I don't get that Veidt failed at all. An all out nuclear war was averted and he was living victoriously in paradise in the show. But did the governments of the world read Rohrscachs journal and realize they got played?

I think what we'll find out is the world always gets itself into a Doomsday scenario irrespective of if it has a Veidt there to save it.

fallengorn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
It's also something that Veidt has mentioned in the comics, in an interview in one of the ancillary articles in the book.

"I see twentieth century society as a sort of race between enlightenment and extinction. In one lane you have the four horsemen of the apocalypse [and in the other] the seventh cavalry."