• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Pills that are quite dangerous. Sure, somewhat less so if you take them one at a time, apparently, but didn't he send those pills merely three days before the activation of the magical clock?
Fortunately for the plot, Angela's first instinct when she was found out was to take them all at once...

Why is is fortunate for the plot? What is happening due to her taking them that wouldn't have happened somehow if she didn't? Maybe Will thought she'd take them *after* the clock event? As a way for him to explain why he did whatever it is he's doing?

It's certainly convenient for the *exposition* but they could have also just shown flashbacks or had him tell her.

As far as his given reason (that she wouldn't believe him) I take that as bs. He just didn't want to be direct for whatever reason. Too painful to relate, or afraid of her judgment face to face.

Basically, I think you are making things up to be upset about.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I just caught up and here's some errant thoughts/questions:

Is it just me or was episode 5 like really dull compared to the rest of them? Was I the only one that in the beginning thought that Christian dude campaigning at the amusement park was Laurie's lanky sex partner? They looked a lot alike. Also I'm finding in general Wade/Looking Glass has been the least interesting character.

So Keene/Cyclops/The Seventh Kavalry's plan is to kill Dr. Manhattan and thus...become Dr. Manhattan(s)? How would killing him make them become him? There doesn't seem to be any obvious correlation there but I read Watchmen 10 years ago and only read the Wikipedia synopsis of the original graphic novel to get a little refresher before watching this show, so maybe I'm forgetting some attribute of his superpowerdom which would lead to dead Dr. Manhattan (also how do they plan to kill him? With their silly mesmerism strobe light? How does that thing work for like literally everybody? How did Cyclops pull something like that off during World War 2?) = steal Dr. Manhattan's powers.

So are we supposed to accept that Angela has known her husband is secretly Dr. Manhattan all this time? Why was she surprised when Lady Trieu was like "Yo did you know Dr. Manhattan lives here!???? Don't you wanna know who he is??" Was the idea with that scene that she was pretending not to know? Why does she accept that her husband is Dr. Manhattan? This twist just seems so out of nowhere.

Why did Lady Trieu clone her mom, exactly? Did they explain that? I'm gonna guess the answer for this next question is nobody knows, but what is the deal with the Millenium Clock? Also does Lady Trieu seriously have like one employee that isn't her mom-daughter working at her business which is worth over a trillion dollars (I'm referring to that one woman with the hard hat)?

What is the deal with the elephant? Is that supposed to be an elephant in the room joke?

Clair de Lune in that moon scene...really guys?

Does Damon Lindelof only know like the most popular 'adult' pop-culture stuff to directly reference to make his show seem deeper than it is? (Things Fall Apart, Ozymandias, I Don't Want To Set the World On Fire, For Whom the Bell Tolls)

Okay so...Adrian Veidt is on Europa? How? I don't get this stuff at all to be honest. When the Game Warden yanks his back, he like warps back. So was he on that satellite? Where is this idyllic countryside supposed to be? Who is he trying to ask to save him? What is the deal with the fetuses in the river? Why is he making this play? Didn't he purposefully bow out of the public eye in the first place? So how did he end up imprisoned? Maybe my lack of deep familiarity with the source material around Watchmen is hindering me here because I honest to god do not understand what is going on here at all.

So we're in agreement the trap door was goofy as shit, right?

Why does Veidt want Redford in office? He's in whatever-prison so he has like no connection to Earth, so it's not like he can use Redford as a puppet.

It's because it's not a well written show.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There was someone else on the other page. There may be dozens of you! Dozens!
Oh well, aside from hooded justice origin story, which had to be black and white, for reasons, each and every episode is just filled to the brim with cringe dialog and bad characters, it's almost ludicrous.

Flex1212

Jul 12, 2019
So am I the only one that thinks this show is one of the worst written shows in recent history?
Yes - I think it's one of the best written shows I have seen in years personally.

OK - I am in agreement with the theory that Veidt is saved by Lady Trieu, and the statue of Veidt is not a statue but it's actually Veidt in an animated state like Han Solo. She needed to freeze him in order to survive the travel from Europa. We see a meteor crash back in ep 3on the farm, that's most likely Veidt. The clues are all there.

Last edited:

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
Why is is fortunate for the plot? What is happening due to her taking them that wouldn't have happened somehow if she didn't?
The plot moving forwards? Angela being spoon-fed the answers (and then transported inside the Trieu HQ just in time for the final countdown), and in turn spoon-feeding them to Laurie (who then naturally goes on to repeat them to a potential suspect, who just happened to have a silly trap under that one couch, etc)...

It's certainly convenient for the *exposition* but they could have also just shown flashbacks or had him tell her.
Oh, absolutely. He could have said all that back in episode 2.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Fortunately for the plot, Angela's first instinct when she was found out was to take them all at once...

You're noticeably leaving out the detail that this was her first instinct because immediately after finding out she was put in a situation where she had to make a snap decision and taking them all at once made sense.

Like, it wasn't just her alone in a room cookie-monstering them for no reason. She had to decide in seconds what to do, knowing she could probably never take them if she didn't act quickly, and not knowing if taking one would be enough.

So am I the only one that thinks this show is one of the worst written shows in recent history?

How many television shows have you watched in recent history? Because there's way worse stuff out there.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
The plot moving forwards? Angela being spoon-fed the answers (and then transported inside the Trieu HQ just in time afor the final countdown), and in turn spoon-feeding them to Laurie (who then naturally goes on to repeat them to a potential suspect, who just happened to have a silly trap under that one couch, etc)...

But why is that a problem? We don't know what Trieu's / Will's plan is or if any of Angela's involvement is required for it at all.

You're assuming contrivance but we don't know that any of this needed to happen at all.

If you mean contrivance for the sake of the show's plot and not their scheme, well, that's kinda the Watchmen brand. A big elaborate clockwork contrivance. Why would the Commedian track down an old foe to drunkenly blather to?

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The plot moving forwards? Angela being spoon-fed the answers (and then transported inside the Trieu HQ just in time for the final countdown), and in turn spoon-feeding them to Laurie (who then naturally goes on to repeat them to a potential suspect, who just happened to have a silly trap under that one couch, etc)...

What even is this?

The plot moving forwards? The robot with the call for help just happens to end up on Luke Skywalker's planet, so he goes to meet Ben Kenobi and find Han Solo and a way off the planet, and they just happen to get sucked into the Death Star where Darth Vader is, who just happens to be his father..

Like, all stories are contrivances, dude. That's what stories are.

Everything you said flows naturally and doesn't seem out of character for anyone. Will wanted to communicate what was happening to Angela, but knows she's prickly and wouldn't accept it, so he arranges for the pills. Angela's impulsive and was in a bind so she made a rash decision to take all the pills. Laurie was there and overheard Angela ranting in her drugged state. She went and saw the victim's wife, who until that point hadn't really given any reason to doubt her character or sincerity. Laurie was clearly thinking she may have known something about Judd's activities, but didn't anticipate just how involved she was. Angela was moved to Trieu's place because Trieu literally created the pills and it makes sense that you'd go to her for help, seeing as she's there.

Everything tracks. You may not like it, but nobody's acted out of character and nothing's just fallen into anybody's lap for no reason.

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
She had to decide in seconds what to do, knowing she could probably never take them if she didn't act quickly, and not knowing if taking one would be enough.
Yes, that's what I meant when I said it was "her first instinct": it was a quick decision.

I guess I just find her character's actions and motivations a bit odd...
It seemed to me she was covering up his involvement (again, she spends a lot more time doing that than trying to elucidate the mystery) because 1) she didn't believe Will could be the culprit and 2) he was her grandfather. She seemed annoyed that she had to clean up that mess he left behind him (what was it she said to that holographic family tree, again? "just leave me alone"?).
But then, when she's found out, she makes the snap decision of taking a bunch of pills to find out the truth about him. And it seems it's not really a big secret that you're not supposed to take someone else's Nostalgia pills: it's Very Bad (TM).
Huh. I didn't know she cared that much about that, but okay, I guess it's time for exposition.

How many television shows have you watched in recent history? Because there's way worse stuff out there.
For all its Easter eggs and puns (I won't deny some of them are clever), the show is awfully contrived and often quite silly when it comes to its actual plot. In that regard, while I agree it's not the worst thing out there (that's quite the hyperbole), it's still pretty bad.

The robot with the call for help just happens to end up on Luke Skywalker's planet, so he goes to meet Ben Kenobi and find Han Solo and a way off the planet, and they just happen to get sucked into the Death Star where Darth Vader is, who just happens to be his father..
Yep, that is quite contrived. "It's a small galaxy after all" is a criticism that's often been levied against the Star Wars series.

Like, all stories are contrivances, dude.
Come on, man. Some stories are more contrived than others. Sometimes a lot more contrived.

She went and saw the victim's wife, who until that point hadn't really given any reason to doubt her character or sincerity.
When you suspect someone of being a Klansman or whatever, you'd better assume the spouse knows.

Last edited:

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
You want to some hot takes on this show? Read the old place, or don't.

Actually, definitely don't.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Rewatched the scene where Jon is reborn as Manhattan and I really think it was a freak occurrence, one that the 7K/anyone else won't be able to replicate it. I think it comes down Jon's history of working with clocks, learning how to put things together in order, his 'rebirth' was him using prior knowledge to put himself back together, he says itself him to Veidt...reassembling myself was the first thing I learned.

As others mentioned, other countries will have been trying to replicate what made Dr Manhattan and as far as we know, no-one was successful because they are all missing that one vital piece, Jon's history and his knowledge. Hell, maybe the watch being in the room is what helped him too.

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
But why is that a problem?
I like it better when things happen organically. Here, the character's actions and motivations often make little sense to me. They merely do things that are convenient to the plot. They don't say what they know because it's too early in the series, then they do because the season is almost over, etc.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's at least a 50% chance Laurie getting caught was part of her plan.

She behaved so stupidly that I'm ashamed for not thinking of this possibility.

I don't know how they're going to explain that as he was pretty damn disassociated from humanity by the end of Watchmen

I don't think Manhattan's ever been quite as dissociated from man/life as he's let on.

jsMHVKC.png

What's this from?

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't magically make it less goofy.
it makes being goofy the intention and t.f. invalid as a critique simply on the grounds of being goofy. if you think being goofy somehow didn't work or create a satisfying effect fine--but wait a second...
Wouldn't be a Lindelof tv show thread without Erigu telling us how much he respects and admires Damon's world building and writing. Dedication is what it is.
oh god why am I responding to this guy I forgot about him. this is that dude at the old place who spent literally his entire posting life writing incomprehensible long-winded bad faith responses to any even mildly positive expression about any Lindelof-related work. To the degree of like legit stalkery obsessive-compulsive behavior. haven't given the ignore list a workout in a while but it's time to dust it off

Will might be Doctor Manhattan taking Nostalgia to think he's Hooded Justice. Doc can make copies of himself after all. Who else might be Doctor Manhattan?
final twist they're all doctor manhattan. somebody get ready by editing the two pointing spiderman meme to make them both Manhattans

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it makes being goofy the intention and t.f. invalid as a critique simply on the grounds of being goofy. if you think being goofy somehow didn't work or create a satisfying effect fine--but wait a second...

oh god why am I responding to this guy I forgot about him. this is that dude at the old place who spent literally his entire posting life writing incomprehensible long-winded bad faith responses to any even mildly positive expression about any Lindelof-related work. To the degree of like legit stalkery obsessive-compulsive behavior. haven't given the ignore list a workout in a while but it's time to dust it off

final twist they're all doctor manhattan. somebody get ready by editing the two pointing spiderman meme to make them both Manhattans

The very same. I remember The Leftovers threads in the old place.....

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I like it better when things happen organically. Here, the character's actions and motivations often make little sense to me. They merely do things that are convenient to the plot. They don't say what they know because it's too early in the series, then they do because the season is almost over, etc.

Only seems to apply to Will.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Come on, man. Some stories are more contrived than others. Sometimes a lot more contrived.

Cool. You disregarded the part where I went over why everything reasonably flowed from one action to another, though.

I get that you feel it didn't, but I think that's more on you.

When you suspect someone of being a Klansman or whatever, you'd better assume the spouse knows.

I think Laurie suspected it was a possibility, as is evident by the way she went over things. I don't believe Laurie had any clue to the extent she was involved, though. It's clear that she was taken aback by the outright supervillainy.

Again, this follows. Laurie thinks she's the smartest, most competent person in the room, and has a disdain for superheroic trappings. She came in to be smart and try and make the wife give up something. She didn't expect her to go all Mr. Burns, and that threw her off.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was it though?
I guess the only "unbelievable" detail of his story would be mesmerism (let's say, for the sake of the argument, that in that world, mesmerism is at the same time 1) the subject of a "mesmerism for dummies" book, 2) considered as silly as it is in our world, and somehow 3) actually super-effective), but even that is something he could easily prove. He has the damn flashlight right there. He could show her.

Pills that are quite dangerous. Sure, somewhat less so if you take them one at a time, apparently, but didn't he send those pills merely three days before the activation of the magical clock?

The flashlight is brainwashing, not a form of communication.

Her first instinct was not to guzzle the pills. She researched what it was and then downed the pills when she was in danger of losing them and the truth.

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
it makes being goofy the intention
Well, not necessarily. I mean, I've seen Lindelof do that exact same thing when Sun hit her head and forgot how to speak in the last season of Lost, and it seems pretty damn obvious to me that when a character said out loud "wow, that sounds incredibly silly", the intention was not to turn Sun's circumstances into a joke, then.

But yeah, here, we're talking about a sequel to a comic book series, so I can kind of see the "let's have them use silly methods that seem like they're straight out of a comic book, like mesmerism and Dr Evil traps" angle, agreed.

But then, I'm back to something that bothers me about the show...

The original comic book used the medium of super hero comics to present "super heroes" (or really, one superman and a bunch of costumed weirdos) in a relatively grounded universe, and do something more "serious" and clever than usual. Ozymandias used a silly "giant squid with a sensitive's cloned brain" contraption to save the world, but as silly as that was, there was nothing humorous about the results and the implications. The themes were "adult" and topical. Moore was basically saying (among other things) "here's something you can do within this medium".

But this... Well, it's a live-action TV show.

"Hey, look, we can use this medium to tackle topics such as racism in America!
- Well... Yeah. I mean, it's a really important topic indeed, and good on you for bringing attention to the Tulsa massacre, but we kinda knew that live-action TV shows could go there.
- But we're doing it with white supremacists that use silly contraptions! You know, like in a comic book!
- Oh, man. I don't... I don't know."

I feel like the whole thing would have worked better 1) as a comic book, or 2) without all the Watchmen stuff...

Cool. You disregarded the part where I went over why everything reasonably flowed from one action to another, though.
I didn't quote or respond to it because I think I've already explained why I disagreed.

The flashlight is brainwashing, not a form of communication.
I know, I was pointing out that his story wasn't unbelievable, as he could prove the effectiveness of mesmerism right there and then. He could back it all up.

Her first instinct was not to guzzle the pills. She researched what it was and then downed the pills when she was in danger of losing them and the truth.
I'm talking about her snap decision when Laurie overheard her conversation with Looking Glass and showed up to arrest her.

Last edited:

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
When Trieu and Will are talking about the pills in episode 4, Trieu remarks to will that the pills are "passive aggressive exposition"

The writers knew what they were doing

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a pretty common technique

ok, now I got to know what shows you are watching that don't have cringe dialog and bad characters
I'm aware black and white symbolizes the past, it's just a run down trope at this point, we had colors in the past, they could just do that for a few minutes and move on, but no, we need 40 minutes of it for reasons.

And I watch a lot of things but right now I'm enjoying the Mandalorian, while I can shit upon a lot of SW things on that one, the writing is good, as opposed to this.
Watchmen's characters are one-dimensional un-inspired mess in my opinion, and it really dropped the ball on the movie's take on the series which was better IMO from the comics.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Plot contrivances are in every piece of media anyone has ever enjoyed. Just because a plot point or two is contrived doesn't mean it's a poorly written piece of schlock. It's whether that contrivance serves the greater themes and purpose of the story that determines the writing's quality.

I'm aware black and white symbolizes the past, it's just a run down trope at this point, we had colors in the past, they could just do that for a few minutes and move on, but no, we need 40 minutes of it for reasons.

And I watch a lot of things but right now I'm enjoying the Mandalorian, while I can shit upon a lot of SW things on that one, the writing is good, as opposed to this.
Watchmen's characters are one-dimensional un-inspired mess in my opinion, and it really dropped the ball on the movie's take on the series which was better IMO from the comics.

The Mandalorian's writing is good and Watchmen's isn't?

What a fucking take.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The Mndalorian is fluff compared to this show.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, not necessarily. I mean, I've seen Lindelof do that exact same thing when Sun hit her head and forgot how to speak in the last season of Lost, and it seems pretty damn obvious to me that when a character said out loud "wow, that sounds incredibly silly", the intention was not to turn Sun's circumstances into a joke, then.

But yeah, here, we're talking about a sequel to a comic book series, so I can kind of see the "let's have them use silly methods that seem like they're straight out of a comic book, like mesmerism and Dr Evil traps" angle, agreed.

But then, I'm back to something that bothers me about the show...

The original comic book used the medium of super hero comics to present "super heroes" (or really, one superman and a bunch of costumed weirdos) in a relatively grounded universe, and do something more "serious" and clever than usual. Ozymandias used a silly "giant squid with a sensitive's cloned brain" contraption to save the world, but as silly as that was, there was nothing humorous about the results and the implications. The themes were "adult" and topical. Moore was basically saying (among other things) "here's something you can do within this medium".

But this... Well, it's a live-action TV show.

"Hey, look, we can use this medium to tackle topics such as racism in America!
- Well... Yeah. I mean, it's a really important topic indeed, and good on you for bringing attention to the Tulsa massacre, but we kinda knew that live-action TV shows could go there.
- But we're doing it with white supremacists that use silly contraptions! You know, like in a comic book!
- Oh, man. I don't... I don't know."

I feel like the whole thing would have worked better 1) as a comic book, or 2) without all the Watchmen stuff...

I didn't quote or respond to it because I think I've already explained why I disagreed.

I know, I was pointing out that his story wasn't unbelievable, as he could prove the effectiveness of mesmerism right there and then. He could back it all up.

I'm talking about her snap decision when Laurie overheard her conversation with Looking Glass and showed up to arrest her.

The flashlight thing is so dumb, considering that it doesn't emit sounds, Judd could simply close his eyes instead of listening to the old dude's exposition, but nuh, that's too far of a stretch.
He was aware he was in danger, he knows this guy has a device that can control him while it's being flashed on him, yet he decides to go with it, why, cause.... bad writing.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

What a fucking take.

For real. The Mandalorian is written for children. The pacing, the editing, everything. The most popular character is literally a baby.

Watchmen may have some questionable choices in regards to plot/certain plot points, but the writing is leagues above anything Mandalorian will ever get to.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Plot contrivances are in every piece of media anyone has ever enjoyed. Just because a plot point or two is contrived doesn't mean it's a poorly written piece of schlock. It's whether that contrivance serves the greater themes and purpose of the story that determines the writing's quality.

What a fucking take.
Lol we're talking about a show that literally had a trap door scene in a serious exposition reveal, yes, the Mandolorian is better in almost any way.

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
Lmao.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For real. The Mandalorian is written for children. The pacing, the editing, everything. The most popular character is literally a baby.

Watchmen may have some questionable choices in regards to plot/certain plot points, but the writing is leagues above anything Mandalorian will ever get to.
Just because you think the themes in Watchmen have some merit doesn't mean it's well written, while I'll agree Disney could have done better with their age restrictions, at least the characters are consistent and they don't resort to Deus Ex Mechina to further the plot.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
The flashlight thing is so dumb, considering that it doesn't emit sounds, Judd could simply close his eyes instead of listening to the old dude's exposition, but nuh, that's too far of a stretch.
He was aware he was in danger, he knows this guy has a device that can control him while it's being flashed on him, yet he decides to go with it, why, cause.... bad writing.
My god. You made your point. Everything in this show's universe is stupid and contrived and silly etc etc. but stop pretending like you know what the fuck "bad writing" is when just earlier in this thread you praised Mandalorian for having good writing. Spout your clueless uneducated opinion somewhere else. You're not going to convince us this show sucks with your whiney posts.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My god. You made your point. Everything in this show's universe is stupid and contrived and silly etc etc. but stop pretending like you know what the fuck "bad writing" is when just earlier in this thread you praised Mandalorian for having good writing. Spout your clueless uneducated opinion somewhere else. You're not going to convince us this show sucks with your whiney posts.
I'm not tyring to convince anyone, I'm simply replying to people, if you have an issue with that why are you on an internet forum?.
While I do say The Mandalorian is way better written than Watchmen, it's not the apex of plots, and fixating on the one show that's being aired right now is a cheap shot.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
If you judge Watchmen's writing solely on plot I can maybe see your point, MAYBE.
But there's so much more going on than that.

Last edited:

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You guys promise The leftovers is good? It's been on my radar for a while

It's very good, just keep in mind that the producers were very upfront that the 'event' would never be explained. It's something they told people upfront at the beginning of the show's run and it'll keep you from being disappointed if you're looking for an explanation.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lol we're talking about a show that literally had a trap door scene in a serious exposition reveal, yes, the Mandolorian is better in almost any way.

The Mandalorian's writing is standard, but definitely not better. It basically recycles every single Western trope that's ever existed and put it in the Star Wars universe. This isn't even an entirely new concept as this has been explored in countless media before it including Firefly and Cowboy Bebop. The allure isn't the writing in The Mandalorian, which is good but nothing original, but the charm of the Star Wars universe itself and seeing guys in cool Boba Fett suits running around with a cute Muppet.

It's safe.

However, Watchmen is wholly more ambitious. It's tackling issues of race, women, technology, genetic trauma in multiple capacities, PTSD, and handling them deftly due to the diverse writer's room compared to Jon Favreau penning every episode of The Mandalorian. We are able to see perspectives we have not before, and even learn about true American history that many of us have not heard of before including the Tulsa riots and the letter from the Germans to black folk back during WWI.

The trap door in a scene of "serious exposition" is intentional in order to undercut the seriousness of the scene and remind the audience that ALL OF THIS is silly. It's a subversion of expectations with Laurie lamenting that she's simply as you are tired of all this "silliness". It's the fact that humans over and over again keep doing the stupidest shit without the slightest hint of irony, and we as a species should be just done with it.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Ok hold up.

What 3 dimensional characters are in Mandolorian? What 1 dimensional characters are in Watchmen?

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Whew just finished that episode. Can't believe that little throwaway line from Laurie Blake about Cal and how good looking he was was a clue. I'm gonna have to rewatch everything.