• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
I've never seen anything to suggest that Westworld is a sequel. It would be quite absurd if they would reopen the park only to have the either thing repeat, just in less lightning and with more sinister undertones. I might wrong, though.

And yeah, you were hella rude. You sound like someone who thinks that Rick & Morty is only for the smart peeps.

As for the series - I find it to be completely, utterly brilliant, one of the best things I've seen on TV in years. I love how Lindelof ups the absurds of the plot with complete self-awarness. The fact that so far every episode includes laughing or looking at in complete at the absurdity of the world and they live and the unfolding events is my favorite part, right next to how the whole American Hero Story is a taking a complete piss out of Zack Snyder.

The fact that the shows sticks to its guns and calls white suprematism by its name is really refreshing. It's everything I hoped it to be but never dared to imagine that someone would actually make it this way.

And the production value - the performances, soundtrack, how much thought is put in set design and each shot - is simply exquisite.
Well if YOU say I was rude then i guess I was, don't really care it's not like it hurts my feeling either way. RE: Westworld,
it's alluded to several times that the current show is a sequel. Not to derail but here's a few signs that point to it:
  • IN the first episode it's stated that they haven't had a falure that bad in 30 years. 30 years has been about how long it would have been since Futureworld.
  • IN abandoned areas of the control rooms the signage matches the signage from the movies.
  • You even see The gunslinger in the background of an abandoned area of the control rooms:
Yul-Brynner-in-Westworld-tv-series-700x385.jpg
So, it's definitely hinted that its a sequel.

edit: I should spoiler this.

JinxMonsoon

Oct 31, 2017
Well if YOU say I was rude then i guess I was, don't really care it's not like it hurts my feeling either way. RE: Westworld,
it's alluded to several times that the current show is a sequel. Not to derail but here's a few signs that point to it:
  • IN the first episode it's stated that they haven't had a falure that bad in 30 years. 30 years has been about how long it would have been since Futureworld.
  • IN abandoned areas of the control rooms the signage matches the signage from the movies.
  • You even see The gunslinger in the background of an abandoned area of the control rooms:

Thanks guys, I never caught that and I didn't watch it in a looong time! I feel dumb.

Oct 30, 2017

This is getting ot, but it's not a sequel. Those are just Easter Eggs.

The series explains the existence of the park in a way that means that the events in the film could not have happened. The 30 years is when Dolores kills the other hosts and Arnold. When the '30 years' part is said, it is also about hosts malfunctioning and not people being killed. If the events in the film had happened, then there is no way the park could have survived, since just the incident of Arnold's death that was covered up almost caused it to fail. Also, Ford and Arnold create the hosts, and Delos is the investor in the series. The park is something completely new and there wasn't one before in which the film events could have happened.

kortvarsel

Avenger
Dec 11, 2017
Going through the soundtrack on Spotify. So fucking good.

Especially love THE BRICK, the way it was incorporated into the latest episode was fantastic.

JinxMonsoon

Oct 31, 2017
This is getting ot, but it's not a sequel. Those are just Easter Eggs.

The series explains the existence of the park in a way that means that the events in the film could not have happened. The 30 years is when Dolores kills the other hosts and Arnold. When the '30 years' part is said, it is also about hosts malfunctioning and not people being killed. If the events in the film had happened, then there is no way the park could have survived, since just the incident of Arnold's death that was covered up almost caused it to fail. Also, Ford and Arnold create the hosts, and Delos is the investor in the series. The park is something completely new and there wasn't one before in which the film events could have happened.

So, I was right after all, it'd be dumb if it would be a sequel. :D

Anyway, to bring the topic back around, both Watchmen and Westworld are two smart reimaginings of the franchises they draw from, showing that remakes and sequels do have a place in the current cultural landscape, if only the writes behind them have a clear idea on how to take an old formula and apply it to new societal challenges and turmoils.

I think Watchmen is vastly superior, though, but it's also based on one of the most impactful and thoughtful pieces of media ever created.

Oct 27, 2017
After reading the supplementary material Keene is 100% going to be a bad guy. They're not even trying to hide it.

Also I just remembered that scene with the actor who played Ellsworth (from Deadwood)... what was that about anyway?

kortvarsel

Avenger
Dec 11, 2017
Does anyone know a solution of how to access the documents from that HBO link outside of the US?

Or if someone could put together the individual links for each item, as those seem to work.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
nun with mother f*&*ing gun and Never Surrender is so good.

it's on YouTube music but not in Google Play

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Is really only one season? Wtf
Yes, as of now. Not that there can't be more but maybe it'll be a different showrunner or something completely different.

On the podcast Lindelof talks about how when they started they wrote down words to describe Watchmen, thinking if they hit those then this show would feel like Watchen and deserved the name. Two of those words were 'original' and 'self-contained.'

He wants it to feel like the comic. In the end you solved the mystery and the main beats were done. There are interesting threads but you're satisfied overall. The story is done. That's what they're doing here.

JinxMonsoon

Oct 31, 2017
Yes, as of now. Not that there can't be more but maybe it'll be a different showrunner or something completely different.

On the podcast Lindelof talks about how when they started they wrote down words to describe Watchmen, thinking if they hit those then this show would feel like Watchen and deserved the name. Two of those words were 'original' and 'self-contained.'

He wants it to feel like the comic. In the end you solved the mystery and the main beats were done. There are interesting threads but you're satisfied overall. The story is done. That's what they're doing here.

In every interview I've read/heard, Lindelof comes of a smart, thoughtful writer, someone who thinks critically about the works that inspired him and constantly analyses his own approach. In effect, I can't help but like him more and more.

He's an anti-Todd Phillips.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Soundtrack is great. Feels like a middle ground between NIN Ghosts sound and the usual Reznor/Ross fare.

And releasing in 3 volumes is cool too. Makes it digestible.

Deleted member 20202

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cymru
In every interview I've read/heard, Lindelof comes of a smart, thoughtful writer, someone who thinks critically about the works that inspired him and constantly analyses his own approach. In effect, I can't help but like him more and more.

He's an anti-Todd Phillips.

Quoting this for truth. Philips and Joker is not as smart as it thinks it is.

Watchmen has actual depth

Oct 25, 2017
I suspect it's because he wasn't ruled a competent enough guardian. That's the sense I got, with him not dressed particularly well, mixed with what I assume is some Redfordations-esque resentment towards her.

edit: looked it up. He's the grandfather of the kid, both of whom's parents were killed during White Night.

Last edited:

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, OT, but those are easter eggs, not hints it's a sequel. Pretty sure the incident that happened 30 years was about Dolores killing Arnold.

Also yeah, you were being rude or at least unnecessarily hostile.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
what's the ratings for the show so far?

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
NUN WITH A MOTHERF*&*KING GUN is the perfect name for that track haha. I've been listening to it obsessively since the first episode aired. Nice to give it a name at last.

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Yeah, OT, but those are easter eggs, not hints it's a sequel. Pretty sure the incident that happened 30 years was about Dolores killing Arnold.

Also yeah, you were being rude or at least unnecessarily hostile.
Even the writers of Westworld wont deny the belief that this is after the movies, but I'm not going any further OT plus we're spoiling the heck out of it.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After reading the supplementary material Keene is 100% going to be a bad guy. They're not even trying to hide it.

Again, that letter was written by Keene's father to Judd Crawford's father, not the Keene and Crawford we know in the show.

Keene could be a bad guy, although in Watchmen there aren't really good guys and bad guys. Whatever he's up will end up being a morally grey subject. But the fact that they're so heavily foreshadowing him being a bad guy could just as easily be a misdirect.

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
Again, that letter was written by Keene's father to Judd Crawford's father, not the Keene and Crawford we know in the show.

Keene could be a bad guy, although in Watchmen there aren't really good guys and bad guys. Whatever he's up will end up being a morally grey subject. But the fact that they're so heavily foreshadowing him being a bad guy could just as easily be a misdirect.

I would expect Keene (who will always be Bob Benson to me) to be the 7K guy at the front giving the speech in the first episode.

The character I'm unsure about is Angela's husband, Cal. He seems to vanish at strange times.. dunno, something about him seems off. How did he survive the White Night? Where did he go? I'm expecting a twist to revolve around him at some point. (Not expecting him to be 7K obviously).

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Love this track whenever they used it in the first ep. Reminds me of John Carpenter's Halloween score.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

fucking hell.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have to be honest - I want to watch 'The Hunt' now. It probably shares a bunch of themes with this, though they're likely more overt in The Hunt than here. They're pretty strong here though. Maybe I'm new to the thread, but I don't see a lot of chatter on what I'm picking up (which is surprising for here).

Show is good. It's not fucking incredible, but it's got strong characters and uses it's source material really fucking well. Story beats haven't been great, but the pacing so far has been pitch perfect.

JinxMonsoon

Oct 31, 2017
It was the movie that didn't feel like the comic at all, to my mind.

I think that the series nails the atmosphere, design and even shot composition of the comic very well. I could easily imagine the series as comic book, due to how it's structured.

Seen the first episode today. So far its great but doesn't feel like the comics or the movie.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was the movie that didn't feel like the comic at all, to my mind.

I think that the series nails the atmosphere, design and even shot composition of the comic very well. I could easily imagine the series as comic book, due to how it's structured.
Agreed. Although I like the movie, I felt it only really got the aesthics of Watchmen right. Beyond that, it's a very shallow adaptation.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
[Laurie] is a child of rape.

Kinda nit-picky, but she isn't. Some time after Comedian attempted to rape Sally, she had a consensual encounter with him. Which she obviously (and understandably) had mixed feelings about, since she seemed to hate him in the 1950s and 60s while raising Laurie, but seems whsitful about him at the end of the novel.

Just makes Laurie that much more complex and interesting a character. I'm still surprised she took his last name.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Caught up with the three episodes, and it gets better for each episode. Especially episode 3 was so damn good with Laurie and everything she did and talked about. And Jeremy Irons is absolute greatness.

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Kinda nit-picky, but she isn't. Some time after Comedian attempted to rape Sally, she had a consensual encounter with him. Which she obviously (and understandably) had mixed feelings about, since she seemed to hate him in the 1950s and 60s while raising Laurie, but seems whsitful about him at the end of the novel.

Just makes Laurie that much more complex and interesting a character. I'm still surprised she took his last name.
No, no... You're right. I forgot that aspect. It's not nit picky at all. Laurie's relationship with her mother is one of the realest things ever written in a comic book.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
So, uhh, I started watching the first episode, figured I'd remember Watchmen as I go along but then tiny squids started raining from the sky and I have no fucking idea what's going on. Good summary of the comics anywhere? It's been yeeeaaars since I read it.