• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
So, uhh, I started watching the first episode, figured I'd remember Watchmen as I go along but then tiny squids started raining from the sky and I have no fucking idea what's going on. Good summary of the comics anywhere? It's been yeeeaaars since I read it.
It hasn't been explained yet in the show, and it isn't in the comics, but I'd assume it's related to the giant squid attack from the comic.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
It hasn't been explained yet in the show, and it isn't in the comics, but I'd assume it's related to the giant squid attack from the comic.

Ah, gotcha. I'll read a quick refresher on the whole giant squid thing and carry on with the show. Seems super promising going by the first 15 minutes, though obviously anything can still happen.

Soap NickTavish

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Been jamming to the soundtrack for the last couple days. So damn good.

Nun with a Mother Fucking Gun is incredible. Objects in Mirror, The Brick, Never Surrender, Watch Over This Boy...they're killing it.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just catching that this was only conceived as a one season show. Man, that is suddenly really disappointing. Show has been so good and while a self contained story has its virtues, it will probably make it really hard to maintain this quality if they do decide to extend it after the fact. Guess I'll just enjoy it as is.

Also, really makes me wonder what HBO is gonna do? I thought this was gonna be a tent pole but if this is a one off, it's basically....Westworld? And I guess Lovecraft Country looks interesting, and that Whedon show, maybe.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
From the comic

TyzUaqR.jpg

That's basically Ozy's home now...

Oct 26, 2017
Just catching that this was only conceived as a one season show. Man, that is suddenly really disappointing. Show has been so good and while a self contained story has its virtues, it will probably make it really hard to maintain this quality if they do decide to extend it after the fact. Guess I'll just enjoy it as is.

Also, really makes me wonder what HBO is gonna do? I thought this was gonna be a tent pole but if this is a one off, it's basically....Westworld? And I guess Lovecraft Country looks interesting, and that Whedon show, maybe.
It's conceived as a self-contained story but that doesn't mean it can't encompass more stories within that universe. But I'd be content with one season if it is executed well.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's conceived as a self-contained story but that doesn't mean it can't encompass more stories within that universe. But I'd be content with one season if it is executed well.
I'll just have to adjust. And like I said, there is something to say about having a clear and concise vision. I just had assumed this was conceived as a series, not a mini-series ala True Detective.

Which makes me also fearful of them going after a second season now, because as True Detective also showed, the challenge intensifies when you have to follow up on the thing you put all your initial energy into as a closed story, only now on an accelerated timeframe.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't there a snow globe on Mars? In the comic and a biome would be pretty much the same thing.

Anyway do you think it's bad for me to just listen to the score on repeat all day. Cos praise our Lord Manhattan if it isn't utterly superb.

10 posts ahead of yours.

It wasn't on Mars, but Laurie told Jon about it there.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Any doubt that Ozzy is on Mars was dispelled when Mr. Phillips came back frozen solid. That's a pure Martian trope right there.

Nov 5, 2017
Yeah, I've had Nun With a Mother Fucking Gun and The Brick pretty much on repeat all morning; this might be my fave soundtrack from Reznor & Ross. It's absolutely phenomenal and there are TWO MORE ON THE WAY!!

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So we're all in agreement that this will probably end with Laurie shooting Veidt and this time he won't be fast enough to catch it, right?

HotHamWater

Oct 25, 2017
Dorset, UK
Lauries' scene with Looking Glass is great, she just comes in and literally takes control. I expect we'll find some significance in her pausing the image on a squid, as well (specifically in it's relation to Looking Glass).

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Ozy's home in the Arctic was full of terrariums and biomes he created. Now he lives in one that he probably didn't create

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
So the clone being frozen was supposed to be a red herring to make us think Mars/space? How would he have frozen in the globe? Wouldn't he just smash against the glass like a bug on a windshield?

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So the clone being frozen was supposed to be a red herring to make us think Mars/space? How would he have frozen in the globe? Wouldn't he just smash against the glass like a bug on a windshield?

I don't think it's a literal snow globe.
It's a pseudoglobe where instead of glass stopping you, it's space. So once you step outside the barrier lining the area, you are immediately pushed into space.

What Veidt is trying to do is devise a spacesuit and way to travel back to Earth but he can only use the resources Dr. Manhattan most likely conjured up for him in his prison so he's having a hard time doing it.

Oct 27, 2017
After watching the motion comic I'm impressed with the show's version of Adrian. It's not how I would have read his character at all, but it works really well.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
After watching the motion comic I'm impressed with the show's version of Adrian. It's not how I would have read his character at all, but it works really well.
I'm in the middle of watching it, and that Veidt feels like a 1-to-1 translation of the show's. In spite of being, y'know, released years earlier.

The dude voicing everyone(?) in the motion comic does a fantastic job. It's sooo good.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Really good Easter Eggs and Secrets video of Episode 3

I feel like I'm missing a big piece of the puzzle when he makes the jump from the FBI dude wondering what Rorschach's journal was doing there to the government knowing the journal is real and therefore raining baby squids, but, I had been wondering what akia was.

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
It's been over a decade since the last time I read the comic.
Ok. I mean I'm glad it helps you and others but it's framing (by the creator, not you) that it's showinga great deal of new information only applies if you've never read or don't remember the comic. It serves a purpose just not the one it advertises

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
I feel like I'm missing a big piece of the puzzle when he makes the jump from the FBI dude wondering what Rorschach's journal was doing there to the government knowing the journal is real and therefore raining baby squids, but, I had been wondering what akia was.

I think the guy misunderstood the scene. Rorschach's Journal was fully publish but largely ignored and believed to be a hoax by the mainstream and government.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So why does Doctor Manhattan come back with a huge dick and dope abs?

Dude is way more human then he claims.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Watched 2 episodes and really liking this series.

Never read the book or watched the film, could someone summarise (with no spoilers past episode 2) why the audience impressions are so off compared to reviews?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watched 2 episodes and really liking this series.

Never read the book or watched the film, could someone summarise (with no spoilers past episode 2) why the audience impressions are so off compared to reviews?

It's a show dealing with race relations, the KKK, white supremacy, and stars multiple female characters. The usual suspects are up to their usual bullshit.

EDIT: I guess this is my 10,000th post lol

Last edited:

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I hoped it wouldn't be as simple as that and considered giant men babies were upset at the depiction of their picture book. I just didn't add the sexism or the racism.

Thanks.

Loving the show though, watching episode 3 tonight! May have to buy the book.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
I hoped it wouldn't be as simple as that and considered giant men babies were upset at the depiction of their picture book. I just didn't add the sexism or the racism.

Thanks.

Loving the show though, watching episode 3 tonight! May have to buy the book.

Episode 3 will touch on a fair amount of the graphic novel. Far more than the first two. If you want to know more about those elements I would say either watch the motion comic on YouTube or read the graphic novel.