• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the point of Wade digging the alarm out of the trash was meant to show that even after learning the truth there's still part of him that's traumatized and scared by the attack and the alarm, even though he now knows it's a useless placebo, makes him feel better. It's meant to show he's still hurting inside even after learning the truth.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the point of Wade digging the alarm out of the trash was meant to show that even after learning the truth there's still part of him that's traumatized and scared by the attack and the alarm, even though he now knows it's a useless placebo, makes him feel better. It's meant to show he's still hurting inside even after learning the truth.
Yeah, that's how I took it.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the same group that didn't like the video or it's purpose. You'd think that would be copied a thousand times and spread everywhere by now. Doesn't make sense that Veidt would have let that loose end slide.

So we now have two followers of Veidt; both Keene and Lady Trieu?

#teamhoaxvideo

azfaru

Dec 1, 2017
What a huge surprise how good this turned out to be. I know there's some real TV show running muscle behind but considering the source material and my trepidation on how anyone would have success in extrapolating the universe, I definitely had my doubts.

But damn thats some good TV. No filler episodes so far. Just quality story telling and world building.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the video is that unrealistic; Redford and the other government agents who saw the video likely came to the same conclusion the original characters did: we don't like it, and we can't condone it, but we also can't tell anybody about the truth or there will be mass pandemonium and global warfare. If anybody dissented they were probably killed or discredited just like Rorschach.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I don't think the video is that unrealistic; Redford and the other government agents who saw the video likely came to the same conclusion the original characters did: we don't like it, and we can't condone it, but we also can't tell anybody about the truth or there will be mass pandemonium and global warfare. If anybody dissented they were probably killed or discredited just like Rorschach.

Yup, almost certainly - this effectively guarantees the government would have actually assisted Veidt in covering it up.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Loved the opening, but did anyone else find the senator king reveal, and in fact that whole sequence with the 7th cavalry, kinda... Convenient? Why didn't Wade have his own gun? Why did they plant a gun for him to find? Why are senator king and the chief leading these groups? To keep the peace he said, but... They're not?

I still liked the episode overall but the above definitely took me out of it.

I actually liked that LG knew instantly who it was and he was basically like "oh crap, do I still have this on." They didn't try to play it up like some kind of secret.

I didn't like the way the setup played out. Like just grab him. I understand the gun regulation thing meant that he wouldn't have his own gun, but someone as paranoid as him wouldn't check to see if it was loaded with actual bullets? They basically depended on him following them and going in before backup arrives and then not checking to see if anyone else is in the building behind him.

I also liked that the Senator's threat wasn't "I'm going to kill you" but "go ahead, who are they going to believe."

The reason the video makes no sense is that Veidt covered his tracks so carefully, then issued a video that went into extreme detail how it was all a hoax, so that if it ever leaked, even by the dumbest politician, it would convince even the most paranoid skeptic (which it did). Obviously the government, like Owlman and Jupiter, wouldn't just reveal all that (the US would be blamed by everyone) on purpose, but they gave this tape to this senator on his first day in the committee.

The other thing they need to explain and not just gloss over as a way to trick the audience: what was the play in pretending to hold Keen hostage at the funeral? Don't tell me that's how they expected it to play out and they were just trying to remove him from suspicion.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
So i just binged the available eps recently and haven't caught up with the ongoing discussion, but what are the prevailing theories regarding veidt? The whole situation is just so fuckin weird. I know manhattan is the obvious answer but i also feel like it may be a red herring

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
So i just binged the available eps recently and haven't caught up with the ongoing discussion, but what are the prevailing theories regarding veidt? The whole situation is just so fuckin weird. I know manhattan is the obvious answer but i also feel like it may be a red herring

I think his message was basically "Save Me D-" so he certainly could have been asking Dr. Manhattan to save him. All we know is that Manhattan created that place and abandoned it, and he's on Mars, not Jupiter where Viedt is. I'm also not sure who would have a satellite that's passing over a moon of Jupiter, the only answer from what we've seen so far is Trieu or Manhattan.

I'm not sure we even know if we're caught up to present day in that story, since the creators revealed that every time we see him basically a year has passed (hence the birthday cake, but they really should have given some other indication).

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
I actually liked that LG knew instantly who it was and he was basically like "oh crap, do I still have this on." They didn't try to play it up like some kind of secret.

I didn't like the way the setup played out. Like just grab him. I understand the gun regulation thing meant that he wouldn't have his own gun, but someone as paranoid as him wouldn't check to see if it was loaded with actual bullets? They basically depended on him following them and going in before backup arrives and then not checking to see if anyone else is in the building behind him.

I also liked that the Senator's threat wasn't "I'm going to kill you" but "go ahead, who are they going to believe."

The reason the video makes no sense is that Veidt covered his tracks so carefully, then issued a video that went into extreme detail how it was all a hoax, so that if it ever leaked, even by the dumbest politician, it would convince even the most paranoid skeptic (which it did). Obviously the government, like Owlman and Jupiter, wouldn't just reveal all that (the US would be blamed by everyone) on purpose, but they gave this tape to this senator on his first day in the committee.

The other thing they need to explain and not just gloss over as a way to trick the audience: what was the play in pretending to hold Keen hostage at the funeral? Don't tell me that's how they expected it to play out and they were just trying to remove him from suspicion.

Just to note: Ozymandia organized an assassination attempt against himself for exactly that reason. Lindelof's name for this series started as a "remix" more than a sequel.

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think his message was basically "Save Me D-" so he certainly could have been asking Dr. Manhattan to save him. All we know is that Manhattan created that place and abandoned it, and he's on Mars, not Jupiter where Viedt is. I'm also not sure who would have a satellite that's passing over a moon of Jupiter, the only answer from what we've seen so far is Trieu or Manhattan.

I'm not sure we even know if we're caught up to present day in that story, since the creators revealed that every time we see him basically a year has passed (hence the birthday cake, but they really should have given some other indication).
Dreiberg

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Just to note: Ozymandia organized an assassination attempt against himself for exactly that reason. Lindelof's name for this series started as a "remix" more than a sequel.

He was in complete control of that, though. The circumstances that happened where Laurie shot the guy accurately because she thought the bomb was a hoax, then Angela pushes the body into the grave and pushes the coffin onto it, is too coincidental. I'm sure some of the police officers were armed, what if one of them shot him?

Oct 25, 2017

The last we saw of Veidt is sometime around 2012-2015, just based on when he was last seen in public and a possible few years of isolation before being captured.

I thought the years-apart thing was obvious by the third episode, and the dialogue in the fourth cemented it. He flipped out on the fourth anniversary when the clone gave him the horseshoe.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Plausible theory - the video is a hoax and they wanted to make a conspiracy involving the journal and the squid but accidentally told the truth

Galaxy brain theory - this Veidt is an imposter

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The last we saw of Veidt is sometime around 2012-2015, just based on when he was last seen in public and a possible few years of isolation before being captured.

I thought the years-apart thing was obvious by the third episode, and the dialogue in the fourth cemented it. He flipped out on the fourth anniversary when the clone gave him the horseshoe.

I originally just thought it was some quirk of the clones that they needed to do the same routine every day or something. I had no idea it was a year in between. Even aging the clones to adulthood only takes a day, so building up their numbers doesn't take more than a week or so.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
not sure what motivation he would have to do it, but could manhattan have made a fake veidt confess to real veidt's crimes?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, almost certainly - this effectively guarantees the government would have actually assisted Veidt in covering it up.
Yeah but, if it ever leaked beyond America's borders it would undo literally everything. That's why Veidt making the video is so silly.

If his goal was truly to stop mutually assured destruction, he would never be able to tell a soul. Anything less defeats the point.

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
This might be an error, but yesterday I watched the last episode on a french channel and the translation for "SAVE ME D" was "À L'AIDE M".

D = M?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
This might be an error, but yesterday I watched the last episode on a french channel and the translation for "SAVE ME D" was "À L'AIDE M".

D = M?
Médecin is a medical doctor, so it could be confirmation the message is for Manhattan. If so I think that's a poor translation. He's not a medical doctor, and Médecin isn't a title. It should be Docteur.

My French sucks so take this with a grain of salt.

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Médecin is a medical doctor, so it could be confirmation the message is for Manhattan. If so I think that's a poor translation. He's not a medical doctor, and Médecin isn't a title. It should be Docteur.

My French sucks so take this with a grain of salt.
It could makes sense, but Doctor Manhattan in French is simply Docteur Manhattan.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked this episode a lot, made me really feel for Mirror Guy. I thought he was just a plain psycho asshole before, but he's got real issues, he's doing decently for a guy who's so messed up.

It is. It's like a show that airs on HBO in their universe, very explicit.

Agent Petey's been writing up memos complaining about the inaccuracies in that show and he mentions that scene here:

Yo, is there like an index for all the supplementary material hosted on HBO somewhere?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I liked this episode a lot, made me really feel for Mirror Guy. I thought he was just a plain psycho asshole before, but he's got real issues, he's doing decently for a guy who's so messed up.

Yo, is there like an index for all the supplementary material hosted on HBO somewhere?
Oh, sorry, I didn't realize it wasn't easily linked back to the main page:

www.hbo.com

Peteypedia

Read more at HBO.com.

kortvarsel

Avenger
Dec 11, 2017
I thought it said "SAVE ME :D". Doesn't really make sense now that I'm thinking about it, but it's not like Dr. Manhattan would have satellites roaming around. But I think I need to rewatch the two last episodes anyway.

Last edited:

Earthed

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
I like where they're going with this, but I the almost incessant "remember 5 minutes ago???" flashbacks kinda stand out.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Veidt would refer to him as "Jon" and not actually take the time to spell out "Dr. Manhattan."