• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes they did write Laurie super dumb this episode. This is a good example of writing in service of the plot and not the character. If you thought there was a possibility of a man being part of a terrorist organization, wouldn't you think his wife would be part of it too....
She was talking to the widow and obviously didn't think she was part of it, yet alone thought the possibility of her husband being in it was low. So she was just caught off guard and in disbelief when the widow admits it and then opens a trap door where she's sitting to fall in.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Wait...does this mean we're going to see Yahya's p*nis?

Cuz...
2YgQSjmZ5_jShpZRXWu2A7fZ1JfHVSxhvIZn-tn-ldjTXftJAumvXUmgo6kYzdQt38HGaSKuXledKJG77fDa5Q

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Can we just pause for a second and think about the fact the show wants us to consider a bunch of rednecks as a threat to Doctor fucking Manhattan?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
"All personnel please report to the viewing platform. Lady Trieu's invocation is for our ears only. The future thanks you for your service."

That's some final toast Ozymandias ominous stuff right there
Her speech references the Ozymandias poem at the end:

"This Millennium Clock is a monument to the new. Countless generations will gaze upon our mighty work, and without despair"

"I met a traveller from an antique land,
Who said—"Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away."

Which makes me feel like she's about to fuck up real bad.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Not a lot, but the story framed her as a relatively normal person (for this universe) who first finds real weird stuff around her with the conspiracy and her grandfather's past...it's just weird to me that it was "hey btw I lived with a god this whole time".

There's a reason why, despite Angela being more or less the central character, we hadn't learned much about her to this point. Now we know why.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
They are also led by a powerful Senator who is a Presidential contender. I don't think it is. Hell, Nixon served for 6 terms!

You make it sound like Doctor Manhattan is trying to run for President haha. Sure if we were talking about an election I'd give them a chance. But actually capturing or even killing Doctor Manhattan? I mean come on now.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
You make it sound like Doctor Manhattan is trying to run for President haha. Sure if were talking about an election I'd give them a chance. But actually capturing or even killing Doctor Manhattan? I mean come on now.

Killing no. Subduing yes. Manhattan has at least one kryptonite (that we know of) and I'm sure people have been studying it for years. Think how terrifying it would be to have a depressed god running around. People would be looking into ways to stop him.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Also who's to say their plan will even work? If there's one thing that's fairly true of white supremacists it's fucking arrogance and ignorance.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
This episode went off the deep end for me. The series was really humming along then this episode happened. I think I need to rewatch it and gather my thoughts.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I'm just happy that LG seemingly managed to Rorschach his way out of the 7K ambush. They downplayed his martial ability in the earlier episodes, so I was worried. Either he's a badass, or someone helped him, I guess.

Now it's time for LG and Lubeman to go save Laurie.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still not really getting how Veidt fits into all of this plot and narrative-wise. I also don't get why exactly he wanted Redford as President.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
Devin Nunes and Matt Gaetz would like a word with you.
The kind of nformation we're talking about isn't even remotely comparable to whatever they know. Either way, the show states every senator gets to watch the it which is incredibly fucking dumb.

It's also dumb that there's a video in the first place but hey

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
I'm still not really getting how Veidt fits into all of this plot and narrative-wise. I also don't get why exactly he wanted Redford as President.
I think the idea is that Redford is the liberal Reagan, and after so long under Nixon the country would be crying out for a more liberal voice. Not to mention an actor is probably seen as far more easy to control and influence than a career politician, so it'll be easier for Veidt to get his agenda realised.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
Keene said it took him years to get a copy?
What does that even mean? Also, they literally have pills that can store memories in this universe. He could have used that to watch the video and then "remember" it or whatever.

Any of the senators could have done that. It's a massive suspension of disbelief that any of this is being kept under wraps.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Can we just pause for a second and think about the fact the show wants us to consider a bunch of rednecks as a threat to Doctor fucking Manhattan?

Yeah this made me raise my eyebrows as well. But maybe killing him isnt the 'goal', and that they just want to use him to aquire similar powers. Just as Veidt "killing" Manhattan didnt really work out, but delayed things enough for Veidt's Squid-plan.

Dec 1, 2017
Did we ever see what Veidt spelled out with the bodies? I know it said 'Save Me', but it looks like there's also a D at the end?

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
It's a massive suspension of disbelief that any of this is being kept under wraps.
What's even more amusing to me is that the plot didn't even really need that video (I agree that it should not even exist in the first place, by the by): it (somehow) convinced Looking Glass to ask Angela what was going on, and that's it.

But then again, we're talking about a show centered around a police detective and a murder/conspiracy... where said detective has done shit all to solve the mystery. The murderer immediately called her, she didn't believe him, and he eventually just sent her all the answers.
Amazing.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
What's even more amusing to me is that the plot didn't even really need that video (I agree that it should not even exist in the first place, by the by): it (somehow) convinced Looking Glass to ask Angela what was going on, and that's it.

But then again, we're talking about a show centered around a police detective and a murder/conspiracy... where said detective has done shit all to solve the mystery. The murderer immediately called her, she didn't believe him, and he eventually just sent her all the answers.
Amazing.
I think she's 'detective' more as a denotation of rank than ability. She was a survivor of the White Night and got promoted after that. It's pretty clear that 'detective' work in Tulsa is basically just rounding people up and shoving them in the pill.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK

I wouldn't underestimate the amount of havoc a bunch of rednecks can unleash- especially ones with access to technology. And I wouldn't pre-judge the voracity of their plan before we know the actual details.

Even still, dumb as shit and would be leaked immediately

Leaked where? There's no internet. Plus, the truth already was leaked to the press by Rorschach, and nobody but extremists believed it.

Last edited:

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I really want more seasons. Its such a joy to watch this. Not just because of the plot - the world building, music, visuals... all excellent.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
was the plan stated to kill Manhattan and then make Keene into a Manhattan?

Or will their plan rely on mesmerizing Manhattan to assist in reconstructing Keene and then deconstructing Manhattan?

either way I feel like a red glowing evil Manhattan is a real possibility.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Watchmen subreddit just produces

Opening shot of the video store
091kt4qixb241.png

The elephants are all over Trieu

As far as Silk Swingers:
"Silk Swingers of Suburbia" is a movie from the comic that Sally Jupiter (Laurie's mom) acted in under the name "Sally Juniper" when she was young. A negative review is in her scrapbook at the back of one of her chapters. If you look at the VHS box on the show, even the name of the director matches the review from her scrapbook.

Also Janey's earings from the comics
sp66tumu9d241.png

bohex1984

Oct 27, 2017
So, in the backstory of Dr Manhattan in the beginning, they show him as a white kid not similar in anyway to Yaya so that's confusing to me considering many posted that he's supposed to portray him as well...maybe it's fakeish like the Minutemen series?

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't underestimate the amount of havoc a bunch of rednecks can unleash- especially ones with access to technology. And I wouldn't pre-judge the voracity of their plan before we know the actual details.

The only way it would be even the least bit believable is if for some reason Manhattan's power has been diminished since the events of Watchmen. Which would make sense and maybe give reason for him to be hiding away in Cal.

Last edited:

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, in the backstory of Dr Manhattan in the beginning, they show him as a white kid not similar in anyway to Yaya so that's confusing to me considering many posted that he's supposed to portray him as well...maybe it's fakeish like the Minutemen series?

What?

John is a white man. He probably just made himself appear as Cal for reasons that aren't completely clear to us yet.

Oct 25, 2017
The only way it would be even the least bit believable is if for some reason Manhattan's power has been diminished since the events of Watchmen. Which would make sense and maybe give reason for him to be hiding away in Cal.

I like this. He was a living god/nuclear bomb, and his aging/half-life could be just exponentially faster based on the amount of power he was given.

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
I guess I'm confused why everyone's so hung up on this. He could've been a white kid. Forget the body that he had when he was hiding as Cal. If it looked like Osterman, people would've caught on. Just because an African-American is playing the role, and will be painted blue, it doesn't mean anything about what came before.