• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Were those Trieu logos on the Seventh Kavalry equipment cases we saw briefly in the establishing shots while Laurie was detained? Couldn't tell for sure, and can't screengrab off the TV :)

Oct 25, 2017
Just came across this HBO statement about Watchmen's viewing numbers:
"WATCHMEN is averaging nearly 7 million viewers to-date, making it HBO's most-watched new series since BIG LITTLE LIES and premium cable's most-watched new series this year. Along with EUPHORIA, another new HBO series that debuted this year, WATCHMEN is delivering one of HBO's largest digital audiences for a freshman series since the debut of WESTWORLD in 2016. Premiere telecasts account for an increasingly smaller percentage of HBO series' total viewing. For the debut season of EUPHORIA, Sunday premiere telecasts contributed just 8% of total viewing."

If it's doing that well, I wonder if the network allows it to be a one-and-done series.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017

tenor.gif

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I suspect we'll be getting something like this from LG very soon.
e5vq44ylh9241.jpg

Ooh! Good catch! I was caught up thinking that the identity of the unmasked 7K guy was important. I didn't even consider that LG probably swiped the mask.

I'll need to go back and watch episode 7 again and pay closer attention to the 7K guys busying themselves around the lab as Keane talks to Laurie.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I'm amazed anyone would do that regardless. Do people not watch the Next Time teases?

These teasers/extra featurettes are not always there depending on the service you use to stream HBO or country you're in. For example, when streaming the show live in Canada they don't show the Next Time teasers at the end. So it's entirely possible for someone to stop before the end of the credits.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you sure that tweet isn't referencing the Manhattan-style HBO logo from this week's credits?

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sepinwall mentioned sticking around for after the credits as well, so it's definitely for this coming Sundays episode.

Oct 25, 2017
The best "next times on"s were always Mad Men's. Matt Weiner didn't want to do them, but AMC made him, so they were mostly just people opening or closing doors and random benign lines of dialogue.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
You don't think since his creation someone group or person hasn't been thinking of a way to become and/or destroy him

It feels really weird to me that people actually wanna argue that Steve King and the Proud Boys could take on Doctor Manhattan because they studied really hard. Is this like the Batman prep time thing or something?

JCX

Oct 25, 2017
It feels really weird to me that people actually wanna argue that Steve King and the Proud Boys could take on Doctor Manhattan because they studied really hard. Is this like the Batman prep time thing or something?

Presumably 7k is descended from the Cyclops people who had mind control tech in the 1920's. You seem to be making the common misconception that racists are dumb instead of just plain evil.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're missing the legacy of White Supremacy and it's link throughout our systems and institutions by being blinded by more outward, extreme versions of it.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
What's even more amusing to me is that the plot didn't even really need that video (I agree that it should not even exist in the first place, by the by): it (somehow) convinced Looking Glass to ask Angela what was going on, and that's it.

But then again, we're talking about a show centered around a police detective and a murder/conspiracy... where said detective has done shit all to solve the mystery. The murderer immediately called her, she didn't believe him, and he eventually just sent her all the answers.
Amazing.

I think it existed in part for those viewers who haven't read the comic or seen the movie. They are out there.

Deleted member 5322

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I just caught up and here's some errant thoughts/questions:

Is it just me or was episode 5 like really dull compared to the rest of them? Was I the only one that in the beginning thought that Christian dude campaigning at the amusement park was Laurie's lanky sex partner? They looked a lot alike. Also I'm finding in general Wade/Looking Glass has been the least interesting character.

So Keene/Cyclops/The Seventh Kavalry's plan is to kill Dr. Manhattan and thus...become Dr. Manhattan(s)? How would killing him make them become him? There doesn't seem to be any obvious correlation there but I read Watchmen 10 years ago and only read the Wikipedia synopsis of the original graphic novel to get a little refresher before watching this show, so maybe I'm forgetting some attribute of his superpowerdom which would lead to dead Dr. Manhattan (also how do they plan to kill him? With their silly mesmerism strobe light? How does that thing work for like literally everybody? How did Cyclops pull something like that off during World War 2?) = steal Dr. Manhattan's powers.

So are we supposed to accept that Angela has known her husband is secretly Dr. Manhattan all this time? Why was she surprised when Lady Trieu was like "Yo did you know Dr. Manhattan lives here!???? Don't you wanna know who he is??" Was the idea with that scene that she was pretending not to know? Why does she accept that her husband is Dr. Manhattan? This twist just seems so out of nowhere.

Why did Lady Trieu clone her mom, exactly? Did they explain that? I'm gonna guess the answer for this next question is nobody knows, but what is the deal with the Millenium Clock? Also does Lady Trieu seriously have like one employee that isn't her mom-daughter working at her business which is worth over a trillion dollars (I'm referring to that one woman with the hard hat)?

What is the deal with the elephant? Is that supposed to be an elephant in the room joke?

Clair de Lune in that moon scene...really guys?

Does Damon Lindelof only know like the most popular 'adult' pop-culture stuff to directly reference to make his show seem deeper than it is? (Things Fall Apart, Ozymandias, I Don't Want To Set the World On Fire, For Whom the Bell Tolls)

Okay so...Adrian Veidt is on Europa? How? I don't get this stuff at all to be honest. When the Game Warden yanks his back, he like warps back. So was he on that satellite? Where is this idyllic countryside supposed to be? Who is he trying to ask to save him? What is the deal with the fetuses in the river? Why is he making this play? Didn't he purposefully bow out of the public eye in the first place? So how did he end up imprisoned? Maybe my lack of deep familiarity with the source material around Watchmen is hindering me here because I honest to god do not understand what is going on here at all.

So we're in agreement the trap door was goofy as shit, right?

Why does Veidt want Redford in office? He's in whatever-prison so he has like no connection to Earth, so it's not like he can use Redford as a puppet.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Watchmen subreddit just produces

Opening shot of the video store
091kt4qixb241.png

The elephants are all over Trieu

As far as Silk Swingers:

Also Janey's earings from the comics
sp66tumu9d241.png

There was a copy of Fogdancing in the rack, too. We saw the paperback being read by the egg farmer lady, Mrs. Clark. It's written by Max Shea (pirate comic author) and in the back pages of the GN, it's said to have been made into a movie twice.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
In this case yes, it's been proven someone can block out part of his future sight right? Then you find out he's pretending to be human then set a plan in motion

SlumberingGiant

alt account
Banned
Jul 2, 2019
So I just caught up and here's some errant thoughts/questions:

Is it just me or was episode 5 like really dull compared to the rest of them? Was I the only one that in the beginning thought that Christian dude campaigning at the amusement park was Laurie's lanky sex partner? They looked a lot alike. Also I'm finding in general Wade/Looking Glass has been the least interesting character.
It's literally just you. Wade is a standout character