• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
That Veidt scene tho, what the fuck

Just casually burning a clone to death. Is he just bored or ya think Veidt wants to make his own dr Manhattan? Are his scenes happening at the same time as the Tulsa stuff? It's gotta be sometime recently right, given his age?

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda wild how the way this is shot is actually like a graphic novel. There are so many shots where I can imagine it being illustrated Watchmen style.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I thought it was really clever that the "American Hero Story" scene had Zack Snyder esque action versus the grounded way that it probably actually looked like in this world.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
This episode Like the first one is Swimming in nods and homages to watchmen but somehow doesn't feel fansevicey to me.

Even structurally it seems like It could be forming if the trend of this episode continues

the tv show = under the hood

is The Irons thread the Tales of the black freighter homage? (Not too positive of this connection)

the newspaper stand in both

kids dressed up as a pirate and owl, tons of watch imagery, ride of valkeries was referenced in chapter 1 of under the hood book, etc

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I knew something was up with that kid last week when he said "You wanted to punch him". It was just too on the nose.

I'm glad that a lot of the theories from last week -- the servants being genetic experiments, Ozymandias being obsessed with Manhattan and probably wanting to make another (or two), the old man being Hooded Justice, the movie in Tulsa being direct foreshadowing -- are being confirmed or all but instead of obfuscated. There's a difference between dropping into a world in media res to pick things up as you go and deliberately obfuscating things for cheap mystery points. I'd imagine that it's a lot for someone unfamiliar with Watchmen to tangle with, but it's nice to have things line up as someone who's read the book.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Another solid episode. Based on some of the hints being thrown around there seems to be a secret international organization with advanced technology (possibly nazis?) who are helping minorities right the wrongs of the past but they most likely have their own ulterior motives. They are probably the ones who are helping the old man.

Foxashel

Banned
Jul 18, 2019
I'm surprised she didn't ask about the second shooter while on the hospital bed. I'm assuming her husband shot him which explains why Judd has a bullet wound.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
listen, it's sunday so i'll play nice here. i'll give you one chance to sit the fuck down, and stop embarassing yourself. next post, i'll just line up the countless quotes that can be found THROUGHOUT the entire novel of how the world around him sees him and the very apparent mental problems he suffers from.

you decide how you want to play this. he's litterally begging jon to kill him, try pondering why the fuck that is donk.

"It just became obvious; we realized that this was a character if ever there was a character that had a king-sized death wish. He was in pain, psychological pain, every moment of his life, and he wanted out of it, but with honor — in whatever his own twisted standards of honor might have been."

you are clearly to dumb to be in a discussion about anything more advanced than a harlequin novel.

*too dumb

Anywho, this episode was even better than the first. The show keeps surprising.

Something I noticed is that Regina King has such striking and unique-looking eyes, that her costume doesn't really disguise her. Anyone who knows her would recognize her immediately. She needs some kind of sunglasses.

Last edited:

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I have two questions:

Is this show worth getting HBO for?
How pissed is Moore about its existence?

I think HBO Now is worth it for a lot of shows if you haven't seen them, but for this show alone? I don't know. I know Amazon and Hulu offered free trials to HBO in the past on their service for a week at a time. Maybe look into that first, see if you like it. Assuming you already have one of them, of course.

Oct 27, 2017
HonestHomelyChupacabra-size_restricted.gif

Burt

Oct 28, 2017
The Dude

wears Hooded Justice colors exclusively
Idolizes a black lawman who strings up corrupt lawmen with Hooded Justice iconography
Strings up corrupt lawmen with Hooded Justice iconography
Has friends with vigilante tech
Is the grandfather of a masked vigilante

The show

Is laying down Hooded Justice knowledge second maybe only to Dr. Manhattan, in terms of catch-ups/introductions to old masks
States that the dead body that was thought to be Hooded Justice, wasn't (albeit through the conceit that it was a diegetic documentary that might be wrong)
Shows how black American soldiers might buy into German Nazism (or at least, why-am-I-fighting-for-these-people-anti-Americanism) through the lens of racial injustice and violence in America
Opens with probably the most grievous post-slavery instance of racial injustice and violence in America
Has the boy who is The Dude be a direct victim of that grievous American racial injustice

I'm positive 1) that there's other stuff I've glossed over and 2) that it would be some platinum-tier cheap fuckery to not have The Dude be Hooded Justice. In a show that's probably moderately-to-highly confusing to people not familiar with the source material, I don't think that a central component being fairly obvious discounts it from being almost certainly true. You gotta give people something they can grasp onto. If he isn't Hooded Justice, why are they talking about him? If he isn't Hooded Justice, who is?

I'm more than happy to buy into this, because if I'm wrong, it'd be pretty hard for that to not be some cheapness that I'm hoping the show is better than

TTG

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Good episode, except less weird stuff. My only qualm is Angela being completely fucking sold on Jud being her best friend or whatever. You're telling me they went through however many years together and she couldn't get a real read on him or he didn't slip once? She picked up on gramps quickly enough, but Jud was too great an actor? Hadn't noticed that all his friends except her are white or something.

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
Good episode, except less weird stuff. My only qualm is Angela being completely fucking sold on Jud being her best friend or whatever. You're telling me they went through however many years together and she couldn't get a real read on him or he didn't slip once? She picked up on gramps quickly enough, but Jud was too great an actor? Hadn't noticed that all his friends except her are white or something.
From the flash back, they've only been really good friends or what, like 4-5 years? Like she only knew him as a superior officer but then maybe they got super close as they both had to rebuild the police force from nothing. Or have they been friends for a long time?

That doesn't seem really that strange to me that she wouldn't pick up in it. People can keep secrets for a looooooong time. Possible she also turned a blind eye if he did sketchy stuff since maybe the trauma of the shooting brought them together.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The Dude

Idolizes a black lawman who strings up corrupt lawmen with Hooded Justice iconography

The show

Is laying down Hooded Justice knowledge second maybe only to Dr. Manhattan, in terms of catch-ups/introductions to old masks
States that the dead body that was thought to be Hooded Justice, wasn't (albeit through the conceit that it was a diegetic documentary that might be wrong)
Shows how black American soldiers might buy into German Nazism (or at least, why-am-I-fighting-for-these-people-anti-Americanism) through the lens of racial injustice and violence in America
Opens with probably the most grievous post-slavery instance of racial injustice and violence in America
Has the boy who is The Dude be a direct victim of that grievous American racial injustice

I'm positive 1) that there's other stuff I've glossed over and 2) that it would be some platinum-tier cheap fuckery to not have The Dude be Hooded Justice. In a show that's probably moderately-to-highly confusing to people not familiar with the source material, I don't think that a central component being fairly obvious discounts it from being almost certainly true. You gotta give people something they can grasp onto. If he isn't Hooded Justice, why are they talking about him? If he isn't Hooded Justice, who is?

I'm more than happy to buy into this, because if I'm wrong, it'd be pretty hard for that to not be some cheapness that I'm hoping the show is better than

All good points. But Lindelof has said the comic is canon and Hooded Justice was white under the hood. Also he was presumed to be gay.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Dude

The show

Pretty sure Hooded Justice was killed in the 80s by Nite Owl.

Burt

Oct 28, 2017
From the flash back, they've only been really good friends or what, like 4-5 years? Like she only knew him as a superior officer but then maybe they got super close as they both had to rebuild the police force from nothing. Or have they been friends for a long time?

That doesn't seem really that strange to me that she wouldn't pick up in it. People can keep secrets for a looooooong time. Possible she also turned a blind eye if he did sketchy stuff since maybe the trauma of the shooting brought them together.
The black cop who got shot to kick things off apparently liked Judd a lot too. I wouldn't be surprised if Judd was 7K, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit topsy-turvier than that, either. The show is really leaning into aligning things that.. aren't in our political environment/reality. It's a weird mish-mash of extremes, and it wouldn't blow my socks off to learn that applied to Judd as well, and he was involved in the larger conspiracy.
Pretty sure Hooded Justice was killed in the 80s by Nite Owl.
In the comic, IIRC it's heavily implied that The Comedian killed Hooded Justice, possibly as some sort of retribution for HJ kicking the shit out of him after tried to rape Silk Spectre 1. But the show went out of its way tonight to say that there's at least an in-universe theory that the murder presumed to be Hooded Justice wasn't him. It's hard to say why you would do that if it didn't mean anything (outside of cheap misdirection). TV and movies don't show every time the characters go to the bathroom for a reason, and the opposite is just as true -- you don't throw a line like that in for no reason.
All good points. But Lindelof has said the comic is canon and Hooded Justice was white under the hood. Also he was presumed to be gay.
Is there a panel that shows it? Not that I don't believe you, I just can't remember it.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The black cop who got shot to kick things off apparently liked Judd a lot too. I wouldn't be surprised if Judd was 7K, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit topsy-turvier than that, either. The show is really leaning into aligning things that.. aren't in our political environment/reality. It's a weird mish-mash of extremes, and it wouldn't blow my socks off to learn that applied to Judd as well, and he was involved in the larger conspiracy.

In the comic, IIRC it's heavily implied that The Comedian killed Hooded Justice, possibly as some sort of retribution for HJ kicking the shit out of him after tried to rape Silk Spectre 1. But the show went out of its way tonight to say that there's at least an in-universe theory that the murder presumed to be Hooded Justice wasn't him. It's hard to say why you would do that if it didn't mean anything (outside of cheap misdirection). TV and movies don't show every time the characters go to the bathroom for a reason, and the opposite is just as true -- you don't throw a line like that in for no reason.

Is there a panel that shows it? Not that I don't believe you, I just can't remember it.

watchmen-hooded-justcie-death-comedian.jpg

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 2 felt worse than 1 to me, it keeps getting more mysterious in random ways that don't really feel connected at all to me. Every time the show starts delving deeper into something it runs off to a whole new time and location. I'm getting the feeling the show will be much better appreciated if you binge all 9 episodes back to back instead of waiting week to wait, because right now I really have nothing to grasp onto other than "ok Louis Gossett Jr is weird as fuck oh wait Ozymandias is even fucking weirder and crazier".

I'm losing interest but since its only 9 episodes and a complete story I'll stick with it, but hope they start connecting stuff more instead of just teasing out more mysteries.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Man, you know how UPSET white Americans would be if black people in America received reparations for the 400 years of slavery in the form of a lifetime tax exemption????

Bruh...I can't imagine.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
The Dude

The show

The black soldiers were wearing World War I uniform, so it is not Nazi Germany.