• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
As much as we talk and discuss the show in this thread, Lindelof and the writers (a diverse group at that) have talked and discussed the show that much more. So far, every time I've felt a little unsure of the direction of the show, they have executed plot developments really well.

I think the reaction that it doesn't make sense that Laurie divulged too much info and fell for the trap door was probably intended. Do you think the writers didn't discuss this? We know Lindelof has said that he learned "hard truths" from his writers. I'm sure the idea of Manhattan disguised as a black man was also discussed. It seems like something that would be talked about extensively. Especially when we know racial injustice(to say the least) was a major influence on the conception of this series. It's certainly possible that they didn't address or predict every possible concern, but this show was cooking for a while.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
So....remember Lube Man? Do any of you guys think he ties into the greater story in some way, or was he just a one-off? I kinda' hope it's the latter. I like the idea of skinny dude in a silver suit squirting himself with grease and jumping down storm drains because reasons...

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Do we know that it is a cover original to the show?

I can't find the version of Clair de Line that was used on the show, and it definitely wasn't on Vol. 2

I'm fairly certain the classical tracks are just regular symphonic records and not from Trent and Atticus. But that cover was definitely them.

If it'll end up on the soundtrack or not is another story.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fairly certain the classical tracks are just regular symphonic records and not from Trent and Atticus. But that cover was definitely them.

If it'll end up on the soundtrack or not is another story.

Yea this cover sounded like theirs.

Also HBO is good about getting the music they use out there to people so non Trent and Atticus stuff could end up somewhere.

Deleted member 14459

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As much as we talk and discuss the show in this thread, Lindelof and the writers (a diverse group at that) have talked and discussed the show that much more. So far, every time I've felt a little unsure of the direction of the show, they have executed plot developments really well.

I think the reaction that it doesn't make sense that Laurie divulged too much info and fell for the trap door was probably intended. Do you think the writers didn't discuss this? We know Lindelof has said that he learned "hard truths" from his writers. I'm sure the idea of Manhattan disguised as a black man was also discussed. It seems like something that would be talked about extensively. Especially when we know racial injustice(to say the least) was a major influence on the conception of this series. It's certainly possible that they didn't address or predict every possible concern, but this show was cooking for a while.

These are the witers of ep.7 so yeah.

Oct 25, 2017
So we're heading into the final two episodes. Heading into issue 11, Dan and Rorschach were headed to confront Veidt with a hilarious misunderstanding of what his plan really was. I think episode 8 we will see the Cyclops plan, and at the end of the episode it gets one-upped by Trieu's plan.

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
The Manhattan reveal made the world seem small and Angela a much less interesting character. It's the first time watching this show that I've been afraid of it being Lindelofed. Let's see where it goes.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
So I've not seen any of the new show yet, but I love both the orignal comic and even Snyder's film (directors cut).

Is this new show any good? Seems like you all are enjoying it, I might have to check it out after all.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Yea this cover sounded like theirs.

Also HBO is good about getting the music they use out there to people so non Trent and Atticus stuff could end up somewhere.

Well classical music is weird. Obviously the original composers are dead, so the only royalties/clearance you need is the orchestra that performed it. Because of that there isn't a real need to have those tracks on the soundtrack, cause they are practically ubiquitous. Whereas Life On Mars is a whole other situation, where they would have to clear it with Bowie's estate, the record label, etc etc

Tl;dr - there's little point in having classical music being part of a soundtrack compared to an actual cover haha

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
So I've not seen any of the new show yet, but I love both the orignal comic and even Snyder's film (directors cut).

Is this new show any good? Seems like you all are enjoying it, I might have to check it out after all.

Entertainment's always subjective, but I'd have a hard time imagining a big fan of the graphic novel not enjoying this just for the sheer audacity of it if nothing else. Lindelof and co. are taking big swings at the plate here, which you gotta' respect.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

You have to watch it.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
This soundtrack is probably Reznor and Ross' best work together since The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (a criminally underrated soundtrack, probably ignored because the movie itself isn't that great).

tptasOn.jpg

Damn lol, I love that movie

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Well classical music is weird. Obviously the original composers are dead, so the only royalties/clearance you need is the orchestra that performed it. Because of that there isn't a real need to have those tracks on the soundtrack, cause they are practically ubiquitous. Whereas Life On Mars is a whole other situation, where they would have to clear it with Bowie's estate, the record label, etc etc

Tl;dr - there's little point in having classical music being part of a soundtrack compared to an actual cover haha
I wouldn't think they'd have a problem with the Jones estate, given Reznor and Bowie were friends. I can't see this cover not popping up on the third volume.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I think I can guess what's Treiu'd plan is. To make a the entire world forget their past so they can move towards the future and people she chooses will keep their memories

That will get rid or subdue the racist, make ppl forget about the squid, who caused it etc

Evil plan that does good

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If Life on Mars was a cover, the only thing that needs to be cleared is whoever owns the publishing rights. Often times it's the reason a cover is used instead of the original or popular version, because it can be easier and much cheaper to license the publishing rights and pay somebody to cover the song than it is to license the publishing rights and the recording of the original or popular version of the song.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Loved the elephant foreshadowing on the VHS covers.

so where is mirror man and how did he kill all the 7K guys?

TTG

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I thought the conspiracy to manufacture a kavalry/masked police conflict in a bid to win the presidency stretched credulity, then Watchmen was like, "hold my beer" with the last third of the episode. I don't mind because the show just aims to be a bit of fun, but there's a lesson here: don't sacrifice your plot to chase dem twists and drive speculation. It's not worth it.

It's is kind of a mess thematically as well. It's like someone sketched out the show and then they decided to add the racism. Either that or it was emphasized somewhere down the road after originally only being integral to Hooded Justice. That's the way it comes off anyway, not doing anyone favors.

Besides that, it's fun!

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting because it kind of flies in the face of what Trieu was saying about Nostalgia; that it was meant to be a tool to help people move on from the past, rather than dwelling on it and becoming fixated on the worst memories. That's exactly what she's doing with herself and her daughter, evidently; dwelling on her worst memories and passing them down through literal memory transfer rather than genetic memory.
Yeah, and I quite like it. It seems contradicting, but people being imperfect has always been a thing in the Watchmen comics. Even the grand Ozymandias is a narcisstic asshole who thinks he can controls everything.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
It's is kind of a mess thematically as well. It's like someone sketched out the show and then they decided to add the racism. Either that or it was emphasized somewhere down the road after originally only being integral to Hooded Justice. That's the way it comes off anyway, not doing anyone favors.

Lindelof has said that the burning of Black Wallstreet / The Tulsa Race Massacre was the beginning of the story he wanted to tell.

Oct 25, 2017
Lindelof has said that the burning of Black Wallstreet / The Tulsa Race Massacre was the beginning of the story he wanted to tell.

Yep, plus the idea of Hooded Justice wearing two masks, a black man pretending to be a white man in the mask, being the person who kicked off the whole masked adventurer fad, is the idea that got him locked in on doing the show.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
I think I can guess what's Treiu'd plan is. To make a the entire world forget their past so they can move towards the future and people she chooses will keep their memories

That will get rid or subdue the racist, make ppl forget about the squid, who caused it etc

Evil plan that does good
Then Big O comes

Dec 21, 2017
I stopped after S1. That show would have had to have gotten leaps and bounds better to be in WATCHMEN's class.

To put it shortly, it DID. Season 3 was half pretty good Mr Robot episodes, and the other half is comprised of episodes that put the best season finale's to shame. The cinematography and plotline were TOO good. Season 4 is interesting so far and it's interesting to see how it ends. I'd put the series as a whole above Watchmen, but Watchmen seems to be better than S4 individually if that makes sense.

Sunday nights are a dual helping of Lindelof and Esmail just fucking me up good.

Farmboy

Oct 27, 2017
You should probably watch it, before you start making comparisons based on nothing.

I also stopped after S1, though I liked it well enough. Just not curious at all about where it was heading. Then people whose opinion I respect told me S2 wasn't worth it.

So did it pick up by a lot? If so, can I just get back on board at the penultimate season, maybe watch a recap?

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped after S1. That show would have had to have gotten leaps and bounds better to be in WATCHMEN's class.

In my opinion it absolutely did.

I also stopped after S1, though I liked it well enough. Just not curious at all about where it was heading. Then people who's opinion I respect told me S2 wasn't worth it.

So did it pick up by a lot? If so, can I just get back on board at the penultimate season, maybe watch a recap?

No. Watch Season 2. It's highly underrated, especially if you can binge it without eating a week in between episodes.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Have they shown us President Redford in this show yet? Wonder if he isn't important besides the Viedt connection and the reparations.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the conspiracy to manufacture a kavalry/masked police conflict in a bid to win the presidency stretched credulity, then Watchmen was like, "hold my beer" with the last third of the episode. I don't mind because the show just aims to be a bit of fun, but there's a lesson here: don't sacrifice your plot to chase dem twists and drive speculation. It's not worth it.

Besides that, it's fun!

Even if we didn't have any of the huge Dr. Manhattan plot twist, I think focusing on this world and the way racism plays a huge role would have still been an interesting show. The racism feels relevant and makes certain aspects of the show feel more personal to me. It doesn't feel forced, it feels grounded.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I also stopped after S1, though I liked it well enough. Just not curious at all about where it was heading. Then people whose opinion I respect told me S2 wasn't worth it.

season 2 was amazing and it just keeps bringing the hits straight through 3/4. it might be one of the most smartly and intensely crafted television series to date.

i only say "might' because there's four episodes left. gotta see it through to the end.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
season 2 was amazing and it just keeps bringing the hits straight through 3/4. it might be one of the most smartly and intensely crafted television series to date.

i only say "might' because there's four episodes left. gotta see it through to the end.

I would agree with those that thought S2 was slow, on the first airing. But when you're binging it on streaming, it's a good season and really comes together much better than waiting a week between each episode.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

Evil plan that does good

that's why Angela was hooked up to the elegant too then, she's one of the chosen few who gets their memories backed up into a "harddrive" so to speak

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Good thing I didn't.
(/snide)

What a weird, patronizing response. 5 seconds of Google will tell you that Mr. Robot is considered (critically / dramatically) on top of the TV world right now. I'm still behind (fell off in the 2nd season due to other obligations) and even I know that it's been firing on all cylinders for at least 2 seasons. Which is one more than Watchmen even if you disregarded everything else.

Or maybe you take a step back and appreciate that there are 2+ great shows out there instead of trying to crown yours the king. Who knows?