• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
i can't believe the show jumped the sharked by revealing the blue science man was actually on earth this whole time and not on mars, when I accepted that blue man built himself together from being atomically destroyed originally in the comic book

also giant octopus psychic monster was a fine comic book moment, but this?? A black man being a blue man? Unbelievable and it is a jump from the rest of this fine series(Thus jumping the shark) because it's an unbelievable antic in an established procedural show!/s

Using 'jump the shark' and not understanding what 'jumping the shark' means is uh, funny.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
that reznor/ross rendition of life on mars..
lawd.png
Reznor can retire after this.

tumblr_pqxey96Sjc1remri0_250.gif

Deleted member 1722

Oct 25, 2017
As I said, ep.6 left me cold. Its good overall - but when I get an episode about delving into someone's memories I want something a little more interesting and dramatic from a timeline perspective instead of a black and white straight forward chronology with occasionally subbing the MC face in. The show didn't even delve into the concept of memories not even being reliable - it was really just a fancy flashback episode. The Hooded Justice origin stuff was interesting, but all-in-all I felt it was a bit for a bore in the end. And the mesmerism shit - so DUMB.
I get what you mean about the linear chronology, but I am not sure exactly how Nostalgia works. In regards to the accuracy of the mind, the pills are lab created, and each one represents a specific type of memory. I think they are color coded, Red equals trauma. So I don't have any problem believing them to be accurate to Wills experience.

The pills are only meant to be taken one at time though. And I believe for some reason that each specific pill represents a specific memory. So maybe by taking all of them simultaneously they played out in linear order, which contributes to the loss of self.. because you get caught in a recollection for a subjective eternity.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
I get what you mean about the linear chronology, but I am not sure exactly how Nostalgia works. In regards to the accuracy of the mind, the pills are lab created, and each one represents a specific type of memory. I think they are color coded, Red equals trauma. So I don't have any problem believing them to be accurate to Wills experience.

The pills are only meant to be taken one at time though. And I believe for some reason that each specific pill represents a specific memory. So maybe by taking all of them simultaneously they played out in linear order, which contributes to the loss of self.. because you get caught in a recollection for a subjective eternity.

Not only that but as shown in last nights episode, she keeps getting memories during her own memories of Vietnam, to the point where she's been in and out of being comatose(As remarked by trieu) down to repeating the same things every time she wakes up. So while the memories we saw played chronologically, for the viewers pleasure ofc, they're playing over and over in her own head in various sequences.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
i can't believe the show jumped the sharked by revealing the blue science man was actually on earth this whole time and not on mars, when I accepted that blue man built himself together from being atomically destroyed originally in the comic book

also giant octopus psychic monster was a fine comic book moment, but this?? A black man being a blue man? Unbelievable and it is a jump from the rest of this fine series(Thus jumping the shark) because it's an unbelievable antic in an established procedural show!/s

Using 'jump the shark' and not understanding what 'jumping the shark' means is uh, funny.

Oh I know what it means - publicity stunt to make something more popular again named after the Fozzie shit on Happy days.

I ALSO know that the definition has changed today and colloquially its used to mean something that has had ridiculous and/or bad plot elements that now strain the credibility of the show/content.

Deleted member 1722

Oct 25, 2017
Not only that but as shown in last nights episode, she keeps getting memories during her own memories of Vietnam, to the point where she's been in and out of being comatose(As remarked by trieu) down to repeating the same things every time she wakes up. So while the memories we saw played chronologically, for the viewers pleasure ofc, they're playing over and over in her own head in various sequences.
Oh yeah good point! I had also forgotten to mention in my reply that some form of mind control is central to Watchmen. Re: falcondoc

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
Oh I know what it means - publicity stunt to make something more popular again named after the Fozzie shit on Happy days.

I ALSO know that the definition has changed today and colloquially its used to mean something that has had ridiculous and/or bad plot elements that now strain the credibility of the show/content.

So ok

Giant Octopus squid
Flying Nite Owl ships
World Peace
5 term Nixon followed by 4 term+ redford
Squid rain
Veidt trapped in some pocket Eden
Clones

Isn't ridiculous

But what tips you over the scale is a character from the original comic book turning up(For reasons yet unknown to us) is completely ridiculous and jumping the shark?

You still don't know how jumping the shark is used today if you think that's the tipping point. Atleast wait until the series finishes because you think blue man is a deus ex machina showing up out of no where

Now, if Manhatten turns up to be a Deus Ex Machina, yes, I'll be right there with you criticizing it. But atleast categorize his appearance correctly. The show factually hasn't jumped the shark yet, not by its original definition or its contemporary definition.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough - I think I am finding I just can't do the mystery box stuff anymore I suppose. These reveals just feel so unearned to me. I hated Westworld as well...
god westworld is fucking awful. By mid season 2 I was taking weeks between 95 minutes episodes because it was insufferably dull and I literally stopped midway through the finale because I could not give a fraction of a damn. that show is a steaming pile of vapid shit with good music and neat set design.

Watchmen I feel completely differently about. One because I clearly have more trust in the impending reveals and satisfaction with the unraveling of the mystery so far than you. Which, fair. More importantly, I think: I actually care about these characters. King is one of the best actors working today and she's been given an awesome, smart, steely, funny, time- and trauma-worn protagonist. I'm all in on Angela as a character. I also love Wade's paranoia and awareness of how he can't be close to people, this blasé Laurie that the world can't throw any shit at anymore that won't be met with a scoff (but who clearly cares about "saving the world" underneath it all), and Will. That makes any mystery box shenanigans--good or bad--easier to swallow.
pretty sure its Yahya
yeah didn't Lindelof say in the THR interview about the reveal that, in casting, they sought out someone who could play both Cal and Dr. M? We haven't seen him in full blueface yet but I believe that's exactly what we'll get next week.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just read another hint in the comments about Cal being Dr. Manhattan.

Angela = Sister Night = a nun
Nuns are married to God
Angela is married to Dr. Manhattan

Oct 25, 2017
I suspect the next episode is going to be tremendously fucked up.

One, it will probably be Manhattan-centric, and told totally jumbled up.

Two, this episode corresponds to the point where Rorschach and Dan totally think they have it all figured out, go to stop Veidt, only to realize they are too late and that they were totally wrong. The 7th Kavalry plot is the equivalent to the "wrong" plot, and we're going to get a twist and Trieu's villain speech.

I have no idea how Trieu knows about the Cyclops plot, unless somebody was blabbing in a Manhattan booth.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
I just read another hint in the comments about Cal being Dr. Manhattan.

Angela = Sister Night = a nun
Nuns are married to God
Angela is married to Dr. Manhattan
With this reveal I'm sure someone will get to the Cal is Dr M in any crazy way. Some will take what Angela or someone ate and turn it into Cal was Dr M lol.

I still don't know how Excalibur turned into a theory at all. A big blue dildo and someone turning that to Ex Cal Abar?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I suspect the next episode is going to be tremendously fucked up.

One, it will probably be Manhattan-centric, and told totally jumbled up.

Two, this episode corresponds to the point where Rorschach and Dan totally think they have it all figured out, go to stop Veidt, only to realize they are too late and that they were totally wrong. The 7th Kavalry plot is the equivalent to the "wrong" plot, and we're going to get a twist and Trieu's villain speech.

I have no idea how Trieu knows about the Cyclops plot, unless somebody was blabbing in a Manhattan booth.
Didn't Trieu tell Angela that Will told her about Cyclops?

Oct 25, 2017
With this reveal I'm sure someone will get to the Cal is Dr M in any crazy way. Some will take what Angela or someone ate and turn it into Cal was Dr M lol.

I still don't know how Excalibur turned into a theory at all. A big blue dildo and someone turning that to Ex Cal Abar?

Once you know the theory, it is hard to stop seeing potential hints.

A real movie called Abar: The Black Superman

Ex Cal Abar

The next episode title (which has been known for a while) is "A God Walks Into A Bar", which looks innocent at first glance, but once you know the theory it is totally impossible to not see Abar.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Do you guys think Keene will succeed? He's shown to be competent in moving his goals forward so far, but isn't his main plan the same one Adrien tried to do but instead got laughed at by Manhattan?

Jocund

Mar 9, 2018
And then how does he know? And is the clock being finished at the same time just a coincidence, or was it long planned?
*shrug* how he knows doesn't seem critical, seeing as how Will is illustrated as someone who's lived by the conspiracy nearly his entire life.

I imagine we'll learn more about the circumstances of the clock

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Ex
Cal
ibur

Laurie is the ex of Cal Abar

I should have read a few more posts. Sorry!

Having caught up with the thread and just having seen this episode tonight, I am awash in thoughts and feelings. But the biggest one for me right now is that like the GN, there's a plot but the really interesting aspect is all the thematic stuff along the way. I rewatched the first six eps over the long weekend as my son was seeing it for the first time, and there are just layers and layers. And now I want to watch them AGAIN.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My guess is something leaked from production. You have hundreds if not thousands of people with hands in this show. One early Reddit post (like ep 2) about Cal was so tenuous that it seemed as if the person was reaching for anything to seem credible. I'm all for internet sleuthing and I think people do some amazing work, but we also know for a fact that people are also in the loop and like to look internet smart.

Nah, internet just did its thing and went full detective mode.

NuSbLFN.png

The hand is from a trailer posted in October