• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie, The Excalibur thing is clever as hell. Give the writer who came up with that a raise.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
I think the only person who could truly relate to a Manhattan-level being would be another one. Dr.Manhattan is a fascinating character study. I'm not even sure they'd fight one another, especially if they both already know what the outcome of such an encounter would be.
That's my thought as well. What are the chances they would actually become "friends"? Think about it, Dr. M being Cal could be his cry for humanity. He is so desperate to feel what humans feel. He even mind wiped a human so he can start fresh apparently. Him coming across a being like himself might be the exact kind of thing he'd want. They could literally dominate the universe together if they felt it.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I loved this episode and the Manhatten twist doesn't bother me at all. I'm confused a bit though, was Cal's body some random person that has been in a car accident and maybe had died, or had DrM actually taken the form of that body?

Anyway, my only real gripe with the episode was Laurie just spilling her guts like she was in a confessional or something.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
that white night scene feels so loaded now that we know what we know. Before it was just horrifying and thrilling and, while it left some questions about the second assailant, it felt like that could be chalked up to Judd being in on the attack and wanting Angela to survive so he could keep her close or something. Now it's more complicated.

It starts with them dancing and about to have sex. Cal wants his present so he is watching the clock, ticking down to midnight. Who else in this universe was it that had a fixation on watches...

It looks like Angela throws Cal down in front of the couch but the first assailant just keeps coming into the kitchen, and we don't see or hear from Cal for the rest of the sequence. (this was suspect at the time but I assumed he'd been winged by the first shots or something.) Angela attacks the first 7Ker and nobody is visible in the family room in the background. She kicks the first away and turns and gets gutshot, the second assailant walks into the room seemingly also by Cal, if he's even still on the living room floor. Holds the shotgun to Angela's head and she says "Cal." She passes out and wakes up in the hospital with Judd.

In this clip Judd talks about killing his attacker. Then says "you got your guy too. Stabbed him and he bled out in your kitchen. I reckon there's somebody up there looking out for you." He only mentions the one guy. I think this dovetails well with people saying that Manhattan-Cal woke up in that moment and did something to the second attacker, which made 7K-Cyclops realize what he was. And at that point, their plan to go from White Night false flag to Keene's masked police act to President Joe seemed small—which is why Judd befriended Angela immediately after the attack (they don't even address each other by first names initially), to keep her close.

The 7K knew who he was since this attack and Reeves knows because he was watching the group afterwards in him trying to find their plans is what I'm going off of

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Jon Osterman was a scientist intellectual, and his disassociation took time and -- as far as anyone can say -- deliberate effort on the part of Ozymandias.

Keane would literally scrape Africa off the face of the planet and toss it into space before he would have the time to go introspective.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Yes they did write Laurie super dumb this episode. This is a good example of writing in service of the plot and not the character. If you thought there was a possibility of a man being part of a terrorist organization, wouldn't you think his wife would be part of it too....

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
Yes they did write Laurie super dumb this episode. This is a good example of writing in service of the plot and not the character. If you thought there was a possibility of a man being part of a terrorist organization, wouldn't you think his wife would be part of it too....

I think you could charitably read it as Laurie being ambushed due to her feeling of superiority to the whole investigation (she has been pretty spot on thus far). The way she leaves Petey hanging on the phone as to where she's going is basically the clue that this characteristic is about to catch up with her. I could maybe buy that as a reason to not expect Jane to admit to everything so quickly.

But ultimately, I agree it does feel like it's just in service of the plot.

Edit: Laurie is Hillary (really Dems in general in 2016) and also a boomer. The modern day KKK/Nazis are having a resurgence and taking political power, but because she's never had any stakes in the ingrained racism of America she's blind to it aka she white. And her boomer shit comes through with her thinking these new heroes are jokes especially compared to Jon.
I'm mostly joking with this comparison but on a rewatch I will prolly keep it in mind ha

Last edited:

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
"All personnel please report to the viewing platform. Lady Trieu's invocation is for our ears only. The future thanks you for your service."

That's some final toast Ozymandias ominous stuff right there

Feb 1, 2018
Texas
One thing I don't like so far is the complete lack of Daniel (Nite Owl).

I know they said he was locked up (IIRC) but it would still be nice if he were involved in this series somehow.

FlexMentallo

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Thinking about Doc being in Tulsa but also having video of him on Mars - he had duplicates of himself in the graphic novel when he was getting down with Laurie while working on stuff, and having that multi-Manhattan make out session.

Kinda wondering if they play with that idea - I could see him fragmenting himself to collect lots of experiences, with Cal just being one among the many.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Lube Man is going to save the day, just watch it.

EDIT : Also, I don't think they're going to succeed in making a new Dr Manhattan. Jon coming back from the dead felt like a fluke in the comics (to me at least), it's going to be some anti-climatic shit to dunk on these KKK dumbasses.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Petey (laurie's partner and dude she boned) is definitely lube man right? lol

EDIT : Also, I don't think they're going to succeed in making a new Dr Manhattan. Jon coming back from the dead felt like a fluke in the comics (to me at least), it's going to be some anti-climatic shit to dunk on these KKK dumbasses.

Yeah, I think so too. I can't imagine the cyclops klan having any real chance against Manhattan in fooling or controlling him. They seem competent and dangerous, but I think things are gonna get out of hand quick for them.

If anything, Trieu is probably the real wild card.

Last edited:

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Has the show ever actually referred to Cal as "Cal Abar"? I can't remember. Peteypedia medical documents list his name as Calvin Jelani. Obviously he could take her last name since he'd have no attachment to "Jelani", just curious if the show ever officially said it.

Also are these Petey = Lube Man posts based on sonething other than him being tall, skinny, and currently unexplained?

Hot Priest

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 11, 2019
Alan Moore has to like thi show, right? Right?

He'll never watch it. He's been super pissed off about DC's handling of Watchmen since long before the 09 film.

And it's kind of a bummer because Lindelof worships the man and has done right by his work, but he hasn't been in the headspace to be able to look at something like this fairly for decades.

Dr Manhattan definitely has a type, btw.

Young women? He literally admits he cheats on his wife with Laurie because his wife got old.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Has the show ever actually referred to Cal as "Cal Abar"? I can't remember. Peteypedia medical documents list his name as Calvin Jelani. Obviously he could take her last name since he'd have no attachment to "Jelani", just curious if the show ever officially said it.

Also are these Petey = Lube Man posts based on sonething other than him being tall, skinny, and currently unexplained?
theres only 2 episodes left and there is no other character with lube man's physique aside from Petey. It was obvious the second the lube guy was introduced.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019

I'm rewatching the latest episode

And Angelas fathers name is 'Abar'. That is, his last name on his tag.

So..she named him after her dad?

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Isn't he publicly on record as liking as David Hayters screenplay for the movie? If he liked that, how could he not like the show?....not that he'll ever admit to have watched it.
I don't believe Moore likes anything at all.
He'll never watch it. He's been super pissed off about DC's handling of Watchmen since long before the 09 film.

And it's kind of a bummer because Lindelof worships the man and has done right by his work, but he hasn't been in the headspace to be able to look at something like this fairly for decades.

Young women? He literally admits he cheats on his wife with Laurie because his wife got old.

Yeah, Moore hates DC more than whatever feelings or curiosity he might have towards the series. Maybe if somebody close to him or whom he trust recommends the series, but I don't think he would even say he likes it publicly anyway, so as to not give DC any credit.

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Moore hates DC more than whatever feelings or curiosity he might have towards the series. Maybe if somebody close to him or whom he trust recommends the series, but I don't think he would even say he likes it publicly anyway, so as to not give DC any credit.

Whether or not he likes it, at least the show directly addresses themes that Moore has been worried about in modern superhero movies:
I would also remark that save for a smattering of non-white characters (and non-white creators) these books and these iconic characters are still very much white supremacist dreams of the master race. In fact, I think that a good argument can be made for D.W. Griffith's Birth of a Nation as the first American superhero movie, and the point of origin for all those capes and masks.

eldar101

May 12, 2019
I didn't like this revelation because I don't understand why she didn't use his help for any other crisis in her life before and during the show.
It was like she's a relatively regular person (relatively speaking) who discovers her family's past...oh and BTW I have a god in my house I forgot to mention!

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
I didn't like this revelation because I don't understand why she didn't use his help for any other crisis in her life before and during the show.
It was like she's a relatively regular person (relatively speaking) who discovers her family's past...oh and BTW I have a god in my house I forgot to mention!
It's pretty clear that Manhattan wanted to live as a human for a period. To get him to use his powers would be to rob him of that experience, which isn't exactly fair. Not to mention nothing has really been insane up until this point, and Angela is hella capable on her own. What Manhattan level problem has she had to deal with so far?

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
he's a pandora's box once she opens that up she can't keep him to herself

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Could it be that Veidt is dreaming all of this? Part of how having tomatoes and taking babies from a swamp can make sense.

He's in a prison of his own mind? Maybe he's in that statue, because that transition from Angela's eyes to the courtroom could be a clue.

This is because it doesn't make sense for Dr Manhattan to put him on Europa since he became Cal in 2009.

I thought he might be in the statue. He was declared missing in 2012 after Trieu Industries purchased his companies.

burnsy

Banned
May 31, 2018
This episode solidified it for me. This show is legit, my favourite on television right now.

eldar101

May 12, 2019
It's pretty clear that Manhattan wanted to live as a human for a period. To get him to use his powers would be to rob him of that experience, which isn't exactly fair. Not to mention nothing has really been insane up until this point, and Angela is hella capable on her own. What Manhattan level problem has she had to deal with so far?
Not a lot, but the story framed her as a relatively normal person (for this universe) who first finds real weird stuff around her with the conspiracy and her grandfather's past...it's just weird to me that it was "hey btw I lived with a god this whole time".