• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands

"For this list, we'll be looking at the most critically acclaimed, commercially successful, and influential video games released in the 21st century. Because this is a tight squeeze, only one entry per franchise will be allowed. We're also putting a stronger emphasis on their legacy within the gaming industry, so there may be a few changes from our best of the decade list."
20. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
19. Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain
18. Dark Souls
17. World of Warcraft
16. Batman: Arkham City
15. Portal
14. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
13. God of War (2018)
12. Bioshock
11. Super Smash Bros. Melee
10. Minecraft
9. The Last of Us
8. Grand Theft Auto V
7. Mass Effect 2
6. Resident Evil 4
5. Halo: Combat Evolved
4. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
3. The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
1. Half-Life 2

Honorable Mentions:

League Of Legends
Celeste
Shadow of the Colossus
NieR: Automata
Red Dead Redemption

Oct 26, 2017
Half-Life 2 first?

That's good in my book

But Portal 2 is a much better game than the first Portal, come on watchmojo, let' be real here.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personal opinions aside, the only thing I really think is wrong with that list is putting WoW down at 17. Should be way higher on that list

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah let's vote for game of the year in March. The hell?

Moreover I'm not sure how they combined all these criteria. A personal list would be far more interesting.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
At "1 entry per franchise" it feels crazy that MGS V and not, say, 1, 2 or 3 made the list.
Especially in hindsight, and considering how "influential" they were.

Also, i second the "WoW should be way higher" sentiment

Also, i third the "Not a single Mario game? wtf?" sentiment

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine making a list of the best of the 2000s without Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3. 😂😂😂😂😂

PeaceSeeker

Chicken Chaser
Apr 17, 2018
I prefers mgs4 rather than mgsv. the flaw in v is just too obvious on top of better gameplay

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
Pretty bad list tbh, as others have mentioned, no metroid prime or super mario galaxy, meanwhile mgsV is there and half life 2 is sooo overrated.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The one omission from these lists that makes me the saddest is still Into the Breach. It's easily my favourite strategy game of the last ~10 years and I don't think I've seen it on any of those lists.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's too difficult to do a best of the century. However no way should MGSV TPP be on there. Its not even top 20 in the single year it released (okay maybe just!)

MGS2, 3 and 4 shit on it.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Wow, personally to my taste, one of the worst lists I've seen.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I love several games frim this list, but it's a poor representation of the last 20 years of gaming. Needs a lot more Gen 6(and some late Gen 5 standouts). Clearly they're big 360 fans.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
They explained it in the video that while some might consider Ultimate the best, SSBM is the most important legacy game in the series with an unusually strong lifespan.
Aye I understand their reasoning behind the choice.

Just not sure if it is one that I fully agree with. But glad they discussed it.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
Watch Mojo.... one of so many useless You Tube channels.

The only reason I click those videos sometimes is to find out if that one has the same cringe factor as all the videos before. So far a flawless streak. :D

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
Half-Life 2 at #1 and Melee at #11 give me fucking life.

Great list, surprisingly

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Having MGSV on that list kinda voids their opinion for me. I CANT TRUST THEM NOW. :/

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
It's 20 years worth of games being narrowed down to 20.

Of course a shit ton of amazing games will be missing from this list.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
We've only seen 20% of this "century" tho, too early for such a list. Either way, not even a single Mario game on the list is absurd. They could've replaced few games with the last main Mario games and it would make a better list

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I only have a problem MGSV because MGS3 exists. It's absolutely one of the best playing/feeling games out there, it's just lacking as a complete experience.

Mad_Titan86

Banned
Nov 4, 2019
HL2 being first is the best choice. It's an amazing game that I have played at least once a year since it came out.