• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not exactly a controversial series of picks per se, but failing to mention almost any multiplayer-focused title is not understanding what this century was about, especially when they make a point of pointing out that the games' legacy matters. Minecraft barely made it in the top 10 and League of Legends is in the honorable mentions, then stuff like PUBG, Fortnite, DOTA, Rocket League, Siege and so on are nowhere. So how exactly did Mass Effect 2 fit in? Why Arkham City that was far less influential than Asylum ultimately? Weird list, a set of 20 acclaimed titles from (usually) acclaimed franchises but the actual order and selection seems a bit to close to a "I basically only play single player stuff, here's some stuff highly ranked on Metacritic I enjoyed" list.

Kyubajin

Feb 22, 2019
Solid list, although I wouldn't number them per se, and if you're gonna do it anyway Dark Souls influence should be higher. No Mario, Metroid, Assassin's Creed, Read Dead Redemption is detrimental.

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ these people have no taste in games.

I'm playing the Witcher 3 and it's like cold soup.

Everyone chooses the same bland games every list is milquetoast.

Never a Fighting Game, Racing Game, RTS, Sim,

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

There's some irony to proclaiming superior taste in games then proceeding to call one of the most beloved games "cold soup"
There's no genre variety quota for lists, and "never a fighting game"? .... SSBM is in their list lol

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
As expected don't agree with any of them besides ME 2 and BotW. BotW would be more of a contender than a guaranteed spot let alone third place and ME 2 would probably be a bit lower but still top 10.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
MGS V used the cardboard box to sneak onto that list unseen.

It's brilliant at times, but obviously Kohima left Konami and it's only real legacy is a great engine for Pro Evolution Soccer games.

other than that, the list is pretty great actually. There will always be key omissions in every list, but at least all of the games that are present deserve to be in the list.

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019

Everyone chooses the same bland games every list is milquetoast.

Never a Fighting Game, Racing Game, RTS, Sim,

They don't have much platformers either which is probably to be expected from journalists who don't really care about gameplay and only like mature/grey settings.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
They don't have much platformers either which is probably to be expected from journalists who don't really care about gameplay and only like mature/grey settings.

Literally a super cartoony, colourful platform fighter @ 11th, as well as minecraft and WoW which are as far from "mature grey" settings as it gets. Portal is pretty goofy too.

Apr 21, 2018
I feel like Metroid Prime should be on the list, but otherwise great. It's hard to give Galaxy 1/2/3D World/Odyssey a ton of praise when they were kind of all somewhat an evolution of the king, Super Mario 64.

dammitmattt

Oct 28, 2017
Most of these games are all-time greats with extremely wide appeal and appreciation, but outside of some obvious omissions that have already been mentioned (Mario, Mario Kart, Fortnite, LoL, Ass Creed, Metroid Prime, etc) it's exceedingly strange to not see a single rhythm or Wii waggle game on this list. Guitar Hero/Rock Band and Wii Sports defined gaming for a good 3-year period in the late aughts.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Arkham City? Phantom Pain? Come on.
And then not even Mario Galaxy or Prime 1 in there? Nah lol.

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's some irony to proclaiming superior taste in games then proceeding to call one of the most beloved games "cold soup"
There's no genre variety quota for lists, and "never a fighting game"? .... SSBM is in their list lol

Sometimes cold soup is refreshing like gazpacho.
This is more potato.

I don't see a fighting game on that list just a party game.
We've done this before.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Skyrim instead of Morrowind is bad optics.

2019 and 2020 are the best years yet for Morrowind. OpenMW is like a next-gen upgrade for what can be done with mods now. Even SkyWind is looking dope as hell.

dammitmattt

Oct 28, 2017

You must not have been around in the 2000s. Nothing was more popular than Halo. And it's arguable that the Xbox wouldn't have survived its first iteration without Halo's popularity. On top of that, it influenced every single shooter in some way since then. Few games in the history of our industry have been more influential.

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Didn't play MGSV, but it's a better game that MGS 3 Snake Eater ? Also, weird not to see Gears of War. Wasn't a big influential game for TPS ?

Anyways, it's just a list. It cant make everyone happy.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Most Popular Games of the Century

The year is 2020. They couldn't call it "Most Popular Games of the Past Twenty Years" like a normal person?

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You must not have been around in the 2000s. Nothing was more popular than Halo. And it's arguable that the Xbox wouldn't have survived its first iteration without Halo's popularity. On top of that, it influenced every single shooter in some way since then. Few games in the history of our industry have been more influential.

Nothing was more popular than Halo? Are you kidding me? It's like GTAIII never happened.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
MGS5 over MGS3

giphy.gif

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they're the same because a lot of people consider those to be some of the best games made in the last 20 years? Just a thought.

So even less reason to go make the effort of making a video.

Top 20 games of disparate genres is pointless anyway. But easy to do.

A Cinefix style list where they talk about specific elements of attributes that something does which is great is of far more interest.

None of these lists will appeal to me, I think Tetris Effect had the best Narrative in 2018, (it did), but part of the pleasure is the argument afterwards.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
If we're keeping it 100, MW, UC2, and WOW are probably the most influential titles on that list. I'd entertain swapping RE4 in for UC2, but I feel pretty damn certain about the other two.

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Literally a super cartoony, colourful platform fighter @ 11th, as well as minecraft and WoW which are as far from "mature grey" settings as it gets. Portal is pretty goofy too.

Still, most of the games are pretty realistic and grey setting wise. And as good as Melee was for its time, I know it still has fans, but I really think it's a mistake putting it instead of Ultimate. Ultimate has way more character options, tight controls, etc.

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you recap the story of Tetris Effect for me? Been a while since I played it??

It's basically the story of human civilization/life on Earth as we move from single cell organisms in the deep to through the wild life of the planet and develop culture, music, cities and explore space.

And at the same time we have to realize that given where we and everything on the planet come from, we"re all connected.

It's truely beautiful and it was told through Tetris.

Aug 27, 2018
It's basically the story of human civilization/life on Earth as we move from single cell organisms in the deep to through the wild life of the planet and develop culture, music, cities and explore space.

And at the same time we have to realize that given where we and everything on the planet come from, we"re all connected.

It's truely beautiful and it was told through Tetris.
Yeah, I remember like dolphins, and then there was that desert level. I was too busy playing tetris to think of the "metaphor" for each stage. Considering that this is your opinion of 2018's game narratives I'm not super shocked you dislike this list. I'm not trying to shit on your opinions but to me saying that Tetris had the best narrative is like saying oh Forza Horizon 4 was just a metaphor of people taking over land mass through the evolution of machines.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Still, most of the games are pretty realistic and grey setting wise. And as good as Melee was for its time, I know it still has fans, but I really think it's a mistake putting it instead of Ultimate. Ultimate has way more character options, tight controls, etc.

It has more content and better graphics (aside from no adventure mode, no break the targets, no trophies), but "tight controls" I can't agree with when there's significant input delay and a built in buffer that has even the best players SD'ing half a second after inputting the shield button. Sakurai has gone on record saying melee is the "sharpest smash" hes made. The jump from 64 to Gamecube was by far the most significant, while Brawl>4>5 the games feel like slight improvements rather than entirely new games.

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I remember like dolphins, and then there was that desert level. I was too busy playing tetris to think of the "metaphor" for each stage. Considering that this is your opinion of 2018's game narratives I'm not super shocked you dislike this list. I'm not trying to shit on your opinions but to me saying that Tetris had the best narrative is like saying oh Forza Horizon 4 was just a metaphor of people taking over land mass through the evolution of machines.

You can shit on my opinions, no opinion is sacred.

That said Tetris Effect absolutely has a narrative, Tetris 99 doesn't (afaik, haven't played it)

I don't know if Forza Horizon 4 has a narrative, certainly it's more likely to than Forza 7 (which probably has little outside of a career mode, again I haven't played so I'm only guessing.)

But it's absolutely possible for a racing game to have a narrative and narrative doesn't have to mean cutscenes.

World design art direction, mood, music, reaction interactability, there's so much more to narrative in videogames than, cutscenes of mocaped actors.

Dark Souls is the classic example of storytelling through world design for an example.

Aug 27, 2018
I don't know if Forza Horizon 4 has a narrative, certainly it's more likely to than Forza 7 (which probably has little outside of a career mode, again I haven't played so I'm only guessing.)
I mean it has a "story" but I'm trying to equate a racing game with no narrative and trying to make one up based on gameplay, I'm just fucking around tbh. We have different opinions of games and that's fine.