• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it has a "story" but I'm trying to equate a racing game with no narrative and trying to make one up based on gameplay, I'm just fucking around tbh. We have different opinions of games and that's fine.

Take Outrun, there's a racing game with (very thin) Narrative. Espcially heart attack mode.

outrun-2006-coast-2-coast-pc-espanol-D_NQ_NP_815818-MLA27092073754_032018-F.webp

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
The only big qualms I have are that World of Warcraft is way too low (and should probably be the Burning Crusade, rather than classic but that's a small qualm), Witcher and Breath of the Wild are too high, and the lack of Mario Galaxy is a god damned crime. I also have some small qualms around the list (Dark Souls is a bad game), but those are the big ones.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
I'd drop a fair number of those for ether not being the best in their series or being eclipsed by far superior games from other genres.

Some major omissions:

Guitar hero/rock band

Metroid prime

Tony hawk 3

Unreal tournament and quake 3

MARIO galaxy

Gran turismo 3/4

Fate stay/night

Monster hunter

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
How in hell they chose they chose the worst MGS and skipped the magnus opus MGS3 instead?
Also there is already a century of video games???
Unless they mean this century and this barely started so this list doesn't make any sense.

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
It has more content and better graphics (aside from no adventure mode, no break the targets, no trophies), but "tight controls" I can't agree with when there's significant input delay and a built in buffer that has even the best players SD'ing half a second after inputting the shield button. Sakurai has gone on record saying melee is the "sharpest smash" hes made. The jump from 64 to Gamecube was by far the most significant, while Brawl>4>5 the games feel like slight improvements rather than entirely new games.

I mean Melee was the biggest improvement for its time but I just would much rather play Ultimate at this point in time any day than Melee. And I think the majority would also, despite Melee having a pretty large fanbase. I also feel that Ultimate was a pretty significant improvement from 4 in its own way, Brawl and 4 were both regarded as more "casual" games even when they were the latest games out, controls were overall really floaty and seemed less balanced towards competitive than Melee. Ultimate did really tighten up the controls in comparison to those games and seems to be generally seen as the most competitive geared since Melee. There are lots more options like directional air dodging and perfect shielding as well, in addition to the many new characters. I don't argue that some people might prefer Melee but I think it's very weird to include it but not include Ultimate at all, and I think 8/10 Smash players at least would probably prefer Ultimate also.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Dude really pulled out things like "bioshock was the first game that was art and is people took game seriously" and later used a citizen kane reference for halo. Hmmk

And yes Mario and Metroid not even being HM lol

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All blockbuster games. Where's all the great smaller titles? Decent list besides that.

Why does it seem spelunky never gets any credit for anything? I barely hear anyone talk about the upcoming sequel either. I got into this game super late but found it to be one of my favourite games of all time. I think it's a damn masterpiece.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Melee was the biggest improvement for its time but I just would much rather play Ultimate at this point in time any day than Melee. And I think the majority would also, despite Melee having a pretty large fanbase. I also feel that Ultimate was a pretty significant improvement from 4 in its own way, Brawl and 4 were both regarded as more "casual" games even when they were the latest games out, controls were overall really floaty and seemed less balanced towards competitive than Melee. Ultimate did really tighten up the controls in comparison to those games and seems to be generally seen as the most competitive geared since Melee. There are lots more options like directional air dodging and perfect shielding as well, in addition to the many new characters. I don't argue that some people might prefer Melee but I think it's very weird to include it but not include Ultimate at all, and I think 8/10 Smash players at least would probably prefer Ultimate also.

"more people like the new one" is just argumentum ad populum. Their reasoning is their own (id put melee at #1 and would go into detail but nobody wants to hear it). The things you listed like Directional Airdodge and perfect shield kind of shallow versions of what already existed previously (like powershielding is more useful than parry and can reflect, airdodge used to be good for movement in neutral)

Well yea, but 8/10 people don't agree or something

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
"more people like the new one" is just argumentum ad populum. Their reasoning is their own (id put melee at #1 and would go into detail but nobody wants to hear it). The things you listed like Directional Airdodge and perfect shield kind of shallow versions of what already existed previously (like powershielding is more useful than parry and can reflect, airdodge used to be good for movement in neutral)

Well yea, but 8/10 people don't agree or something

If you want to go into personal reasons, I prefer the characters hugely in Ultimate, and the graphics help as well. I also don't really have any issues with Ultimate controls either, I can't remember a time I died and thought it was due to bad controls. And I was only bringing up the perfect shielding and directional airdodging as additional examples of improvements Ultimate made over 4. Speaking of popularity this whole list is made from extremely popular games with hardly any unique or different ones.

Oct 28, 2017
Like others have said, Mario and Metriod Prime deserve a spot on this list other than that, solid list. Top 3 is spot on.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to go into personal reasons, I prefer the characters hugely in Ultimate, and the graphics help as well. I also don't really have any issues with Ultimate controls either, I can't remember a time I died and thought it was due to bad controls. And I was only bringing up the perfect shielding and directional airdodging as additional examples of improvements Ultimate made over 4. Speaking of popularity this whole list is made from extremely popular games with hardly any unique or different ones.

There's some games that are very popular yes (but also missing the most popular like Fortnite and League) but their choices are also there for good reason and they're not required to change their favourite games into a more varied list for any reason. My list would look very different but im not going to say they're wrong for not matching my ideals.

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
There's some games that are very popular yes (but also missing the most popular like Fortnite and League) but their choices are also there for good reason and they're not required to change their favourite games into a more varied list for any reason. My list would look very different but im not going to say they're wrong for not matching my ideals.

I guess I can't say they're wrong, just disappointed to see another list which misses a lot of my favorites.

SonovaBeach

Dec 14, 2017
Yeah, I remember like dolphins, and then there was that desert level. I was too busy playing tetris to think of the "metaphor" for each stage. Considering that this is your opinion of 2018's game narratives I'm not super shocked you dislike this list. I'm not trying to shit on your opinions but to me saying that Tetris had the best narrative is like saying oh Forza Horizon 4 was just a metaphor of people taking over land mass through the evolution of machines.

No it's not. I didn't "get" the Tetris Effect storytelling, but it's an auteur game and every weird graphical stuff has something to tell. And Opera, Painting and tons of other medias told obscure yet interesting stories long before video games. You can analyze Forza Horizon 4 all you want (and I think your take on it is not uninteresting at all, although I guess it was cynical :p ), there is no auteur vision in it (EDIT: well, that's debatable).

Do you really think these guys created dolphins animations, windmills, mountains and other complicated visual worlds but did not have anything to say about it?

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, no RDR2 invalidates the list, even if RDR1 does get an honorable mention.

Aug 27, 2018
No it's not. I didn't "get" the Tetris Effect storytelling, but it's an auteur game and every weird graphical stuff has something to tell. And Opera, Painting and tons of other medias told obscure yet interesting stories long before video games. You can analyze Forza Horizon 4 all you want (and I think your take on it is not uninteresting at all, although I guess it was cynical :p ), there is no auteur vision in it (EDIT: well, that's debatable).

Do you really think these guys created dolphins animations, windmills, mountains and other complicated visual worlds but did not have anything to say about it?
Sure, maybe it did. I just thought saying a Tetris game had the best narrative of 2018 had this air of ridiculous smugness that I found it absurd. Btw, my whole Forza Horizon 4 is a metaphor thing was a joke. It's shocking anyone took it seriously.

Last edited:

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thats a pretty solid list, i agree with a lot of it. Im glad there isnt a ton of recency bias on there too

SonovaBeach

Dec 14, 2017
Sure, maybe it did. I just thought saying a Tetris game had the best narrative of 2018 had this air of ridiculous smugness that I found it absurd. Btw, my whole Forza Horizon 4 is a metaphor thing was a joke. It's shocking anyone took it seriously.

It's understandable to think like you do. I'm a believer in the fact that everything had some sort of meaning. I'm sure the Forza Horizon 4 environment designers would have some very interesting stuff to say about rural destruction. Actually, now I remember that the Criterion developpers had some cool views on the philosophy of cars destruction, kinda like the movie/book Crash.

Anyway, everything is a matter of context and viewpoint I suppose.