• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Scientists believe the Beresheet's unusual cargo may be alive and well on the moon

The odds of finding life on the moon have suddenly rocketed skywards. But rather than elusive alien moonlings, the beings in question came from Earth and were spilled across the landscape when a spacecraft crashed into the surface.

The Israeli Beresheet probe was meant to be the first private lander to touchdown on the moon. And all was going smoothly until mission controllers lost contact in April as the robotic craft made its way down. Beyond all the technology that was lost in the crash, Beresheet had an unusual cargo: a few thousand tiny tardigrades, the toughest animals on Earth.

Now, the organisation behind the tardigrades' trip, the US-based Arch Mission Foundation – whose goal is to find a backup for Earth – has said the organisms may well have shrugged off the collision. "Our payload may be the only surviving thing from that mission," Nova Spivack, the organisation's founder, told Wired magazine.

Superior species!?

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how things will change a few thousand years from now. Can they reproduce in the Moon's environment?

Razorskin

Oct 25, 2017

In an attempt to colonize Mars, 21st century scientists are tasked with terraforming the planet. Their goal is to seed the planet with a modified algae to absorb sunlight and purify the atmosphere, and cockroaches, whose corpses spread the algae across the planet as they feed.

Five hundred years later, the first manned ship to Mars lands and its six crew members are attacked by giant mutated humanoid cockroaches with incredible physical strength, later labeled "Terraformars";

Oct 28, 2017
I always tell my girlfriend that if I become a multi-millionaire, I'll prep for my funeral to involve me being rocket-fired on a collision path with a habitable planet, sending my body alongside plenty of bacteria, seeds and other small lifeforms so that I can seed and terraform the planet using my corpse.

Cool idea, right? She always tells me it sounds idiotic.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What do Tardigrades eat? Do they need to breathe? Unless the answer is "dust" and "no", I think I know how this story ends.

cirr

Oct 26, 2017
Northern VA
how can they colonize the moon if there's nothing to eat
i know they can hibernate forever but they still need sustenance

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Sorry. I meant "This reminds me of the premise of the manga Terra Formars".
They put cockroaches and moss on mars to produce oxygen or something. 500 years later, they find this:
Roaches1.jpg

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
He said it appears that a tardigrade that enters a tun state at one month old emerges with the same biological age when it is revived a decade later. "It is really amazing," he said. "It may be that we can use this in the future if we plan missions to different planets, because we will need to be young when we get there."
damn

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Sure they may have survived the crash, but with no water or atmosphere I can't see them surviving much longer than that.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This continues to be on of the dumbest fucking missions in the history of space.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
wish i could live to see what life on the moon would evolve into

although i guess humans will leave the moon a trash heap long before that happens

Oct 27, 2017
"They cannot colonise the moon because there is no atmosphere and no liquid water," Kaczmarek said. "But it could be possible to bring them back to Earth and then add the water. They should resurrect."

Probably not the most accurate thread title. Still cool to read though.

Murdock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
It will be decades, even centuries, before they evolve and learn the fine ways of eating ass. Humans have only been doing it since the late 40's.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't nasa was rando Israeli private effort.
Yes, it was a private and failed attempt to win google's lunar x prize. After they failed they leaned super heavily on that "first Jewish spaceship on the moon" nonsense and got Sheldon Adelson to pay for a space-x launch for this shit.
Netanyahu slapped an Israel Aerospace Industries sticker on it at the end so he can have photo-ops.

It's the dumbest shit ever really.

Kidgalactus

Oct 30, 2017
Orlando
Water bears are resilient, but not invincible. They're actually pretty delicate little creatures.

Even if some of them survived that crash, on the moons surface, they would just slip into a deathlike stasis state, until water, and/or oxygen are introduced.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Water bears are resilient, but not invincible. They're actually pretty delicate little creatures.

Even if some of them survived that crash, on the moons surface, they would just slip into a deathlike stasis state, until water, and/or oxygen are introduced.

What about subsurface moonjuice permafrost?

atamize

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Tardigrades work as pioneer species by inhabiting new developing environments. This movement attracts other invertebrates to populate that space, while also attracting predators
How does this work exactly?

Invertebrate 1: Yo, I heard them tardigrades set up shop on the moon
Invertebrate 2: (cocks gun) So let's pull up on them bitches

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
We're a bit over a decade away from having a permanent presence on the Moon. The mid to late 2020s and 2030s will be the most exciting period for space exploration in humanity's history.

The final test for the Orion space capsule happened last month and it was a success. The launch of the James Webb telescope is also almost finally here. We're in for some exciting times ERA.

Last edited:

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Also, Artemis-1 is scheduled to launch next year. It will be an uncrewed launch, but it will approach the Moon and orbit it for 6 days. The next launch, Artemis-2, will be crewed and do the same thing. And Artemis-3 is the big one that will land people on the Moon for the first time since 1972.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
wait what, a private entity was allowed to send lifeforms to another world..? what the fuck? since when did we stop caring about contamination? we are not 100% certain that the Moon is lifeless, it's outrageously careless to just randomly send earthly lifeforms there...

the thing crashed too.. jesus

yeah.. not cool. at all.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
wait what, a private entity was allowed to send lifeforms to another world..? what the fuck? since when did we stop caring about contamination? we are not 100% certain that the Moon is lifeless, it's outrageously careless to just randomly send earthly lifeforms there...

the thing crashed too.. jesus

yeah.. not cool. at all.
Well it is OUR moon. Better colonize it before others do.

papertowel

Nov 6, 2017
The Apollo astronauts left their poop up there so Im going to say e coli was the first to colonize the moon.