• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Pfft. You millennials and your high tech water guns. Back in my day we had a Slip-N—Slide and a hose with our thumb over the nozzle. We also had leprosy. But that's the way things were and we liked it! 😡

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
A part of me thinks they've gotten worse over the years because we all didn't have phones in our pockets in the 90s...

This is probably the biggest reason. Not that people aren't having water fights still, but clearly the amount of kids roaming the neighborhood looking for shit to do must be astronomically lower now that things like personal cell phones, computers, video game consoles etc are such a thing. As well as the general fear of letting your children run around unaccompanied.

For good or ill a lot of the activities many of us oldies (I'm 33) used to partake in as children would be near unconscionable by the sensibilities of the day.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Wait, so they've gotten worse now then they were back in the 90's? Why???

I too would have expected ones that could:
Shoot long distances
Hold lots of water
Not require a pump mechanism

This was the best and all you needed. Built well, good pressure and didn't weigh a ton.
Super_soaker_50.jpg

This one right here brings back to many memories of waterfights with friends.

Pfft. You millennials and your high tech water guns. Back in my day we had a Slip-N—Slide and a hose with our thumb over the nozzle. We also had leprosy. But that's the way things were and we liked it! 😡

We had slip n slides too. remember trying to figure out how to hold the plastic sheet down, using rocks and other things and then flying down it hoping you didn't hit one on the way.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny how these pictures all look like Splatoon guns to me now. That's totally a Splattershot Pro posted on the first page. I wonder how many Super Soakers Nintendo bought when developing the game.

Sad to hear that they're so bad now. Had so much fun with my friends playing with them back then. I could see them being a smaller market now because of lifestyle changes, but it seems bizarre that better water guns have almost disappeared. Maybe the economies of scale don't work anymore to keep manufacturing and stocking them?

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
The range is a step down, but I just got a Nerf Hydra, which has last year's pump system from the watering pot looking soaker in a regular gun shape. It's pretty good. The stream is pretty damn big and the whole tank is empty in maybe a dozen shots, it just doesn't shoot as far as the older ones. And if you pull the pump too fast it mists quite a bit instead of shooting farther. Still, the 100ml or so per pump will make for some VERY wet nephews next month.

Edit: ^ and that is the reason why they were changed. You could blind someone with the older models. Now it's one shot per pump, so you'll never have such high maximal possible pressure.

Water Warriors has some with old style pumping, but many models are USA only, so filthy Euros like me can't judge their bigger models. Maybe they're good.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I think people are more sensitive to kids playing with "guns" now.

I used to love them.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
The range is a step down, but I just got a Nerf Hydra, which has last year's pump system from the watering pot looking soaker in a regular gun shape. It's pretty good. The stream is pretty damn big and the whole tank is empty in maybe a dozen shots, it just doesn't shoot as far as the older ones. And if you pull the pump too fast it mists quite a bit instead of shooting farther. Still, the 100ml or so per pump will make for some VERY wet nephews next month.
It's just not how far it shoots but pumping enough pressure for a steady stream.

Not as much fun.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
It's just not how far it shoots but pumping enough pressure for a steady stream.

Not as much fun.

See my edit. Safety concerns plus cheaper cost to manufacture the simpler current ones killed the "real" Super Soakers. Water Warriors has some, I have one of the smaller ones available in the EU and it's pretty good, but even my old sidearm ones had more punch.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I imagine with smartphones and Fortnite kids don't really do water guns anymore.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
humanity peaked with super soaker 50 and then we went back into the caves and threw excrement at each other

OP
OP
TheMan

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

I owned this baby when I was 18, this guy could peel paint, it had three nozzle setting I believe..Laser cutter-to fire hose. It took about 200 pumps but god it was worth it!

I believe the gun I had was actual the model just above this one. It was such a badass water gun, and looking back perhaps the pinnacle of the old school tech. I just have to shake my head at the options out there nowadays.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the guy who invented the Super soaker won a lawsuit against the manufacturer for not compensating him for using his patent so now they can't use that air pressure tech. That's why none of the guns are as good and simple as the old super soakers.
Patents are only good for 12 years. Whatever technology the Super Soakers used should be available to anyone at this point.

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
I never had the original model. Then I got this as a gift
super_soaker_xp250.jpg

I need the strap as a kid. That thing was heavy fulled filled.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
we used to love guns and a neighborhood shootout was a wonderful thing.

now we are afraid of real guns and expecting real neighborhood shootouts, so they nerfed waterguns for 2 generations.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
A quick Amazon search has revealed to me that:

1) You're right, wtf is this shit

71fQdHuIv6L._AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

2) Nerf makes waterguns now??

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
I used this 2 days ago to shoo off some barn swallows. Still works great.
super_soaker_cps1500.jpg
This is the one I elected to go with as a child soldier. Many friends I lost, many enemies I splashed. A lot of memories hit me hard seeing those big green balls. Hot ass days when the summers felt like they were never going to end. I'm sad now

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No kidding? I was just talking to my son about getting a water gun yesterday. If anyone knows of a good one post a link.

hephaestus

Oct 28, 2017
The only option now a days is to get into water balloon launchers

80083-1-3-person-balloon-launcher.jpg

Although we did hit a kid in the chest with a chestnut from across a soccer field, so be careful .

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Had the classic Super Soaker 50, it ruled. But I have never seen these later monstrosities from the late 90s and early 2000s. By those dates, I never water battled anymore being in college, grad school, etc.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
The only option now a days is to get into water balloon launchers

80083-1-3-person-balloon-launcher.jpg

Although we did hit a kid in the chest with a chestnut from across a soccer field, so be careful .

My honest first response when I saw this image was that it was some sort of suicide bomber vest that you strapped with water balloons.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I had this in my day:
hqdefault.jpg

Took off all the extraneous plastic and it was a murder weapon; a child's mother slapped me with her chancleta 3 times because I knocked her kid on his ass so bad lol

Merv

Oct 27, 2017

Thumb? Fuck that! Drill a hole in a 2 liter bottle cap and put it on the end of the hose.

OP
OP
TheMan

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had this in my day:
hqdefault.jpg

Took off all the extraneous plastic and it was a murder weapon; a child's mother slapped me with her chancleta 3 times because I knocked her kid on his ass so bad lol

LOL my friend bought this for our senior day in HS almost 20 years ago now...

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
LOL my friend bought this for our senior day in HS almost 20 years ago now...
Tell me you still have it. My dad ended up throwing mine out. Apparently, they weren't on the market long and were ultimately banned from sale.

Edit* if I remember the name, I'll update. Top of my head? Monster XXL or something like that