• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is waterfowl the Hardest move to dodge

• Yes

Votes: 353 52.8%
  • No but it's still BS

Votes: 199 29.7%
  • No it's easy to dodge Get Gud

Votes: 117 17.5%

• Total voters

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Era please help I've been here for hours and I have not even seen phase 2 of Melania cause Waterfowl is impossible to dodge.

She does not even feel particularly difficult otherwise it's just getting danced on over and over.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
Dodge? Yes. But not impossible.

There's many ways to deal with it outside of dodging though, great shields being one example.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Block the first flurry, dodge (preferably with Bloodhound Step) through the second and third ones

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
It single handily makes takes the fight from difficult to frustrating. If they tweaked the move, it would be a fun fight.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
I am convinced someone at From was pulling double duty on Sekrio and Elden Ring and slipped a Sekiro boss in as a joke.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
It's utter BS.

It isn't that hard to dodge on paper, but the way it works means that it is not safe to attack Malenia up close if the cooldown for Waterfowl Dance has expired (even if she is seemingly open) as you have to be pretty far away from her to reasonably dodge the attack. It completely dictates how you approach the fight with Malenia in a manner that isn't fun at all.

May 26, 2018
It's a Sekiro move in a Dark Souls combat system. It's ridiculous. You can survive it but it requires extremely specific dodging.

benbeau

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Malenia fight would actually be a lot of fun if she didn't have that attack. Absolute garbage.

cursed beef

Jan 3, 2021
it's def a fucker but once you learn the tell it's manageable. just gotta book it the f outta there immediately and roll into the third flurry when she catches up

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I just watched a video of someone dodging it and then did that. seemed to work. I don't think it's that BS or anything. She's just a pretty hard optional boss.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
Summon Mimic Tear or other tank, let them take the brunt of it, while you hit her with high-powered ranged attacks.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
My experience with elden ring is so different. I have finished it four times, I beat Malenia each time, and it never took me more than 3 tries. Only one of those was spirit-less. But still. For whatever reason this particular attack never caused me a lot of pain. But then I remember the dozens and dozens of attempts rykard takes each game 😬

And everyone thinks he's an easy nothing boss.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Yeah it's the toughest single move by far, I died to it so many fucking times to it, more than anything else in a Souls game. It took me ages to get the hang of it but eventually I could dodge it pretty consistently. What I worked out was to sprint from the first two flurries and then dodge into the third one, and then last bit would always miss on its own. Once I was able to dodge it pretty consistently it wasn't long till I beat her. Tough boss but man did it feel good when she finally went down.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
You'll get the hang of it - just stick with it. It clicks quicker for some people than others, though.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Run away from it for the first 2 slashes and dodge towards her for the final slash.

Not that it makes the fight much more manageable, but it's a start.

Last edited:

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
the problem is if you're too close when she floats up into the air, you're 100% fucked
cuz that first burst is impossible to dodge and is basically a guaranteed kill
its so fucking annoying

vermadas

Oct 25, 2017
It got to the point where, if I saw it coming fast enough and had adequate distance, I could dodge it 80% of the time. But if I was too close or otherwise poorly positioned I would just kiss my ass goodbye.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
Waterfowl Dance is unintuitive to dodge, but it's not actually difficult. You sprint away from her then after the second slash you dodge underneath.

There's a way to completely dodge it which requires you break lock on and run around her. It's very weird and unintuitive but the agreed upon dodging method (sprint and dodge last 2 flurries) is also weird and unintuitive.

From was on some other shit with that attack

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
This boss is one of the worst in the soulsborne games. Actually punishes you hard for using certain builds and has that awful move. Fortunately you can learn how to dodge the move but it still sucks.

spicynun

Jul 19, 2020
I honestly struggled more in the Defiled chalice in Bloodborne. At least all of Malenia's moves don't one shot like those bosses in there

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Just Bloodhound Step it. You get it from the Night's Cavalry in front of Lenne's Rise.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
Use a shield with 100% physical damage negation and hope that you deal more damage to her than she heals by you blocking her bullshit.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
There's a few votes for no but so far I don't see any post about what move is harder to dodge in a Souls game? I can't think of one that took me longer to get used to. Or are people just voting no because of the title and not actually reading the poll.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Most of the time it's not the health loss, because the mimic or other summon takes it most of the time, it's the massive health regen from that move. So it's a bullshit move with a bullshit health potion on top of it. It's a very cool looking fight, with an awesome character and a great back story, but the fight itself is one of the worst balanced in Fromsoft history.

edit: Just reminded me how much I hate the end game in Elden Ring.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I've been saying since day 1, a jump attack should cancel it. So you'd actually be rewarded for being close and not the opposite.

Btw. I almost like waterfowl dance for how much emphasis it places on positioning, and reading the small tells between it and other jump attacks in phase 2. It just barely inches on the side of BS and doesn't go well with the flow of that fight due to how much it punishes being close to her.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Malenia's fight is so damn cool but that move is pretty BS. My strategy to is wildly dodge roll and hope iframes are on my side and it only hits me 1 or 2 times so that I survive.

Another strategy I've read (but only managed to pull off once) is to throw a sleep pot at her when she jumps. That'll stop the attack from even happening.

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Waterfowl probably is the hardest move to dodge in FROM games, but I didn't find it particularly hard to dodge after a few attempts. I don't think it is BS though, but the boss is one of, if not the, toughest boss by FROM.

Moon Parade

Oct 25, 2017
I got very good at dodging it reliably, but that's not to say it's not a ridiculously designed fight. That's Elden Ring in general, really - I enjoyed it whilst playing, but jumping back into some Bloodborne afterwards really highlighted some of the flaws.

The enemy design relies so much on stalling/input reading, that it all drags the encounters down massively towards the end. I'm not saying these aren't present in earlier games, but it's such a prominent feature here, that it becomes tiring.

Icarian

May 9, 2018
It's bullshit in the sense that most of the difficulty from that fight comes from this single move, take Waterfowl dance away and the fight becomes infinitely easier, to me that's a badly tuned encounter.

I don't like fights that revolve around a singular move.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
lol

"which move do you think is harder to dodge?"
The list would be too long for me to type out before getting bored, as implied by me saying it's not mechanically hard. 90% of the bosses in the game have weird timings and 50/50 looking choreographs and variable attack strings. Waterfowl Dance is easy to spot and easy to dodge. Her up close attack strings were much more of an issue for me.

Last edited:

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Era please help I've been here for hours and I have not even seen phase 2 of Melania cause Waterfowl is impossible to dodge.

She does not even feel particularly difficult otherwise it's just getting danced on over and over.
watch people dodging it online, and concentrate on trying to dodge it before you even think about beating her.

I've helped tons of people beat her and even tho I didn't 100% avoid all the damage, I ended up learning how to avoid most of it over time.

it is doable.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If you just want to beat the boss, I recommend using the
Black Knife Tiche
summon. It does tons of damage to her and is also good at dodging so it doesn't heal her as much as most summons do.

Baloota

May 12, 2018
Egypt
It's bullshit, you can dodge it for sure, but it's still badly designed. Elden Ring overall was a massive step down from Sekiro (and other souls really) in terms of bosses.