• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bishopp135

Oct 29, 2017
www.theguardian.com

Wave of ‘sushi terrorism’ grips Japan’s restaurant world

Signature cuisine is at the centre of a police investigation after customers at revolving sushi restaurants posted video clips of themselves meddling with dishes

There are breaches of etiquette – drenching your rice in soy sauce, for one – and then there are heinous acts of "sushi terrorism".

Japan's signature cuisine is at the centre of a police investigation after customers at revolving sushi restaurants posted video clips of themselves interfering with food and playing pranks on other customers.

The incidents have sent shares plummeting in a leading kaitenzushi chain and prompted operators to rethink how they serve their dishes.

Several acts of what is being called "sushi terrorism" have emerged on Twitter and other social media in recent days, although some apparently date back weeks, and even years.

A clip of the most egregious culinary crime, which has been viewed almost 40m times on Twitter, shows what appears to be a teenager licking the open top of a communal soy sauce bottle and the entire rim of a teacup, which he then places back on a shelf.

If that wasn't bad enough, the 48-second clip shows him licking his finger and using it to touch two pieces of sushi, presumably ordered by another customer, as they travel past on the conveyer belt.

View: https://twitter.com/takigare3/status/1619658064898166784?s=20&t=n9BWjoMBbR8YvNgjkgV6CQ

The video, filmed at a branch of the Sushiro chain in the central city of Gifu, prompted stocks in the restaurant's parent company to plunge nearly 5% on Tuesday.

Other videos show people at other chains putting wasabi on passing pieces of sushi and licking the spoon from a container of green-tea powder that is used by multiple diners.

I thought this was going to be about cream cheese in sushi.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
Only done conveyer belt/boat sushi once, and never again. I'm not even the most germ-phobic person in the world, but it just didn't sit right with me.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
So this is like that stupid ass ice cream "prank" teenagers were doing in the US. Hopefully its just a few idiots who are going to get caught since they posted video.

Also, if you've ever worked in a place that had self serve anything, you'd know how gross kids and old people are lol. Unfortunately its down to vigilant employees to keep things as sanitary as possible.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
Honestly, I have always been wary of eating at these sorts of places because of this kind of thing. It sucks that some people have to ruin it for everyone else

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was going to be about people violating restaurant etiquette. Like not sharing the communal salt saucer, or asking the chef about their past.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Given that some of the clips are from years to months ago, this seems like an overblown thing that blew up because of social media and the liklihood of someone getting pranked is probably rather low.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps trusting the patrons to not act like swine is a thing of the past. Which is sad considering how the japanese conveyor belt concept is an iconic part of it's culinary identity.

I think there are multiple expressions of it, though, and not all of them are vulnerable to this kind of thing. I went to one of the more old-school joints that just had one giant circular counter with the chefs in the middle, the belt surrounding them (so they could drop plates onto it as they finished prepping them), and the customers on the perimeter. In that kind of environment, no way you'd be able to screw with the sushi or anything else without at least getting some side-eye from like five different people, assuming they didn't immediately yell at you or kick you out.

The places where the belts are automated to send you a specific order to your table are a different story.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Look at that little shit gleefully ruining other people's meals.

Apparently there was a similar incident where someone was eating pickles straight out of the self-serve container in a Cocoichiban curry restaurant and they were forced to apologize because the chain's reputation took a huge hit. This is so much worse though.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Should be the punishment for each of these idiots

p1501-youtube-thumbnail.jpg

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
This is definitely a gen Z issue because of social media. Not to say older folks wouldnt do heinous shit like that either, but I never thought once as a kid to fuck with other peoples food.

Stuntman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Expected sausages on sushi, that's still gross though.

That doesn't seem widespread to be honest, the media an it's obsession to treat anything they see on the internet as viral is super dumb.

Last edited:

Funkelpop

Sep 2, 2022
Yeah I saw a video of a like rice noodles in a water stream that would go down a table full of customers and customers would use chopsticks to pick their noodles out and put on their plate and made me think about all these conveyor belt restaurants.

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
Folks doing shit for the lolz further erode anything like basic decency in life

I want internet likes, fuck real people

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
This is definitely a gen Z issue because of social media. Not to say older folks wouldnt do heinous shit like that either, but I never thought once as a kid to fuck with other peoples food.
Sorry to inform you but this has always been a thing. Especially with bullies. I remember a favorite was putting pubic hair in other kids food. I was just trying to stay invisible so they wouldnt pick on me. And the internet was dial up when I was in school.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
There was a girl in high school who would lick the salt and pepper shakers all the time.

I'm not sure what is funny about it. Waste of product.

I guess on the bright side, it stopped us from adding even more salt to that terrible food.

Oct 30, 2017
For all the times I've eaten at kaitenzushi places, I don't think I've ever actually picked up random dishes from the belt.
We've always used the touch screens and had our orders directly sent to our tables on the little trains they have running in tandem with the seating.
That way it's fresh, I get exactly what I want, and nobody else is touching my food.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
This could be why when I was back recently some of the conveyer belt places no longer has rotating sushi on the belts, but you just order it directly.