• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I think people are misunderstanding what is happening. At least at face value, they are being brought in as a support studio, and as far as I am aware that is fairly normal as part of development. Perhaps it looks weird because they are a known "name" studio, but they are also one the few professional independent studios qualified to help on something like this(i.e. a sidescrolling)

Maybe I'm completely off base though. I'm sure someone else has a better idea about games development, and can provide some insight here.

It's a shame because in my books Inti is the top 2d action dev right now.

Yeah as a purely 2D developer they are great. They don't seem to possess any technical skills to when it comes to 3D engines though.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if this came shortly after the project was announced that would be one thing but for this to be happening now paints a picture of this game being in serious trouble.
Even if the base game is releasing soon, a lot of the content is planned to be released over a long period of time similar to Shovel Knight according to the development team. This game could be in active development for another 2 or 3 years.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot about blood stained having two games. I was wondering what I just bought on sale.

I'm old.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Shame they weren't put in charge of development from the start so that it could look as good as Half Genie Hero.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Way forward is a fantastic studio.

Bloodstained demo was a piece of crap.

I hope they save the game.

Sevyne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If this news was 2 years ago I'd be excited. I love Way forward, but this game should be nearly complete by now.

I don't think the game is in any trouble, but it's an odd move to make this late in development.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't realized there was another thread for this. This was posted to the Update thread:

Info from 505's Angel-Corlux in the Discord:

WayForward has been working with us for a while now
we're just now announcing it for various behind the scenes reasons
without going into specifics
they are the major result of our listening to all the feedback from everyone here and beyond from the BBD
lots and lots of additional work, resources and time are being poured into the game because of the feedback
so basically this is the moment where you all know that our delay announcement wasn't just lip service
currently we don't have plans for WayForward IP character crossovers
and as for what they're working on, as the update mentions, they are most heavily involved in polishing/raising fidelity quality bar, helping with bugs, and a few other large endeavors that we can't talk about

Sounds like 505 brought WayForward in based on the beta backer demo feedback, so presumably they've been on the project for a few months at this point.

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wayforward did great things with Contra, hopefully they can do great things with Castlevania too.

Last edited:

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While I'm sure Way forward will only make this better, it's worrying that they're bringing on another device this late in the dev cycle. It says to me that it's apparent that the current devs can't finish this on their own.

ekurisona

Jan 10, 2018
Angel-Corlux Score hidden · 35 minutes ago · Stickied comment · edited 31 minutes ago

Hey everyone, we've noticed that some may be misunderstanding this announcement or letting their concerns get the better of them unnecessarily. Let me try and help by repeating and clarifying where possible:

- Bloodstained is coming out in 2019, an exact release date is coming soon, we know what that date is, and will release it according to our marketing plan.

- We received a lot of feedback from the Beta Backer Demo(BBD) overwhelmingly asking for improvement on certain areas like graphical fidelity.

- Our goal is also to have no further delays to the one we already announced, moving the launch to 2019.

- Wanting to deliver as many improvements as we can while also maintaining our launch schedule, 505 Games and ArtPlay have partnered with WayForward, an absolutely amazing studio with a proven track record of excellence especially in the 2D / platformer genre.

- Wayforward has been working with us well before this announcement was made. The announcement comes now because of boring procedural / legal stuff that had to be sorted out first.

- Iga / ArtPlay are still very much in charge of the project, WayForward have simply joined the team to add value to various areas, some of which I've mentioned, while other (very exciting) things we have yet to announce and discuss.

If there's still any confusion behind this news, this should be seen as the proof that we're not just saying "we hear your feedback" from the Beta Backer Demo and moving on, we're actually doing something about it. The delay we announced recently and the additional resources we're investing to work with WayForward (and additional internal resources) are a testament to 505 Games and ArtPlay's commitment to make Bloodstained the best game it can be.

Finally, I would advise a word of caution in getting swept up by anyone making negative claims about the state of the game. I've seen people say that this news means the game will be delayed for a second time or that the game has no content completed, among other claims. Please keep in mind that unless it's messaging from myself (Brand Manager, managing the launch and commercial aspects of the game) or Question (Sr. Community Manager) then it's not official information, and where needed, I will be commenting to point out if something is incorrect.

Thank you everyone for all your support and as always, hit us up if you have questions or feedback! :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bloodstain...ter_update_75_a_hunter_joins_the_fray/ear162f

Jan 11, 2018
Count me as another one who finds this worrysome. Hopefully all is well. I feel like this game is dying for a good trailer.

Oct 29, 2017
Told you guys that they've been working on it for some time now. Why do you think Wayforward have been so quiet for so long?

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Much as I love Wayforward...this doesn't fill me with confidence in Bloodstained given how late they're joining it. It would be one thing if they were collaborating from the start but they've only been brought in recently to, presumably, fix up a project with a troubled development.

Deleted member 42686

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Kinda late. But sounds alright, as long the game ends up being a good thing. Already got enought of the last vania clone dissapointment.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Angel-Corlux Score hidden · 35 minutes ago · Stickied comment · edited 31 minutes ago

Hey everyone, we've noticed that some may be misunderstanding this announcement or letting their concerns get the better of them unnecessarily. Let me try and help by repeating and clarifying where possible:

- Bloodstained is coming out in 2019, an exact release date is coming soon, we know what that date is, and will release it according to our marketing plan.

- We received a lot of feedback from the Beta Backer Demo(BBD) overwhelmingly asking for improvement on certain areas like graphical fidelity.

- Our goal is also to have no further delays to the one we already announced, moving the launch to 2019.

- Wanting to deliver as many improvements as we can while also maintaining our launch schedule, 505 Games and ArtPlay have partnered with WayForward, an absolutely amazing studio with a proven track record of excellence especially in the 2D / platformer genre.

- Wayforward has been working with us well before this announcement was made. The announcement comes now because of boring procedural / legal stuff that had to be sorted out first.

- Iga / ArtPlay are still very much in charge of the project, WayForward have simply joined the team to add value to various areas, some of which I've mentioned, while other (very exciting) things we have yet to announce and discuss.

If there's still any confusion behind this news, this should be seen as the proof that we're not just saying "we hear your feedback" from the Beta Backer Demo and moving on, we're actually doing something about it. The delay we announced recently and the additional resources we're investing to work with WayForward (and additional internal resources) are a testament to 505 Games and ArtPlay's commitment to make Bloodstained the best game it can be.

Finally, I would advise a word of caution in getting swept up by anyone making negative claims about the state of the game. I've seen people say that this news means the game will be delayed for a second time or that the game has no content completed, among other claims. Please keep in mind that unless it's messaging from myself (Brand Manager, managing the launch and commercial aspects of the game) or Question (Sr. Community Manager) then it's not official information, and where needed, I will be commenting to point out if something is incorrect.

Thank you everyone for all your support and as always, hit us up if you have questions or feedback! :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bloodstain...ter_update_75_a_hunter_joins_the_fray/ear162f

Should be added to the OP.

Nathan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
France
Time to update this I guess
1543539510-b0ri0ercaaa0lwy.png

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017

I hadn't realized there was another thread for this. This was posted to the Update thread:

Well, that makes me feel a bit better assuming I can take it at face value. I'm ready to see more again when they're prepared to show it.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, I think the fact this game has now had four separate developers involved - IntiCreates, ArtPlay, DICO, and now WayFoward - shows me a sign of trouble, that they can't keep things focused on one team. For example, DICO is there for asset creation, but is WayForward now being used to polish..those same assets?

On the other hand, the "main" team per IGA is about 20 people, so they very clearly need more hands than that for a game of this size.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
I find this worrying TBH. One because they needed to bring in a new dev team so close to release, and two because Wayforward is terrible at metroidvania design. Hopefully they're just being brought in as muscle to polish the game up for release...

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm glad to hear Wayforward have been helping out, I've enjoyed loads of their 2D games (particularly Contra 4 and Aliens: Infestation on DS). The Mummy Remastered was pretty good too.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
For example, DICO is there for asset creation, but is WayForward now being used to polish..those same assets?
I'm pretty sure DICO is the main dev. Inti was dropped early in the dev cycle; their only lasting contribution is Curse of the Moon.
I find this worrying TBH. One because they needed to bring in a new dev team so close to release, and two because Wayforward is terrible at metroidvania design. Hopefully they're just being brought in as muscle to polish the game up for release...
That is exactly the case.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is common practice in software development for large projects. There's nothing "RED FLAG" about it really. Inti offered a contract to help with backend and polishing support for the tail end of active development.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017

I would imagine it's for polish. Enough of the game was uncovered by datamining to give the impression that the game is quite a ways along. The script and voice acting was done a long while ago too.

If WayForward is here because Koji Igarashi and most of his team never really worked on HD games before, that's a pretty good reason for them to be involved in the polishing front. I mean, think about it; the last major game IGA helmed over was Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia on the DS.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I always liked the way Bloodstained looked. I felt it captured Iga's Castlevania games perfectly in 3D, even if it did look a little weird. Plus it looked snappy and fun.

My guess is that WayForward was brought in after Inti Creates left a while back. I love both companies for similar reasons, except WayForward already proved themselves in the 3D space as well as the 2D one (Shantae: 1/2 Genie Hero looks fantastic), so I can only say positive things about this.

Also, this is also hardly a Mighty No. 9 situation. Iga is doing everything he can to make the game better by contracting the right outside developers, and at the same time he's not even asking for more backer money.

So I'm not worried about the game at all. I believe they showed off a great game that can only get better now.

Snkfanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Can we get the Wayforward Pixel Art Team to redo the entire art style too? A dream I know...but that would be amazing. Not the biggest fan of the art so far.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Huh? This late in the game? Honestly this comes off as strange and even troubling to me.
I agree to a point. Regardless of the game's current state, however, bringing WayForward in ensures that the end product will at least be better than it is now. I've seen WayForward's logo on a lot of incredible games I've played recently. While WayForward's involvement could mean that the game's development has run into some problems, the decision to bring WayForward in at least signals an acknowledgement that things are beyond the existing team and that Iga wants to ensure that the end product meets the level of quality that he wants it to.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I thought Pirate's Curse kinda sucked and everything I've seen from the game so far has been lackluster, but I mean, the more hands the better and maybe they'll make up for each other's flaws?

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
This is...interesting. WayForward doesn't seem like the kind of studio you bring in just for polish and visual fidelity.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see any particular downside to this, assuming they have enough money to pay them. While the last backer demo looked promising, it still indicated that the final game was nowhere near complete, much less polished. If receiving additional support from another developer is necessary in order to meet the expectations of fans, rather than disappoint them with a rough release, I am completely fine with their decision to ask for help.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
People who are saying this is too late, realize that the game is due out in "2019", that's possibly an entire year, but even if it's only 6 months, that's plenty of time for adding new people to the project (they aren't replacing anyone, they are adding more people to the project). Every game project I've been on has had people added to the project towards the end of development to help finish it up; usually from within the company but sometimes bringing in people from outside (in fact I was hired once as one of the people to help finish up a game).