• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vinnykappa

Oct 27, 2017
By Patrick Klepek: https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/art...mmit-to-gender-fluidity-in-cyberpunk-2077-yet
During that demo, the studio only briefly lingered on the character creator screen, noting it was unfinished. But as I tried to take in as much as possible, one thing stood out: the gender options were limited to men and women.
Given how much CD Projekt RED is playing up the amount of choice players will have in Cyberpunk 2077, it'd seem a little out of place for their game to overlook gender fluidity. Waypoint had a chance to speak with Cyberpunk 2077 quest designer Patrick Mills for a few minutes at E3 about a variety of subjects, including the character creator's limited options.

"It's too early to say," he said, "but it's definitely something that we've looked at."

Not a yes, but also not a no?
Though Mills wasn't able to elaborate on where CD Projekt RED will land on the issue, any movement they make in the direction of embracing non-binary gender pronouns is likely to cause a ripple of controversy, however unwarranted.
That's precisely the reason it'd be socially important for Cyberpunk 2077 to give players more options. The more often games embrace pronoun variety, the less it seems like an outrageous political stance, emboldening gaming culture's worst actors. It becomes normal.
More in the link.

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
you know this would actually be a pretty good fit for a cyberpunk game that has already deals heavily with identity and body modification

just rip off Saints Row's gender slider

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
If devs were to cater to every single human characteristic in RPGs they'll never stop working, ever.

Is it worth it to add months of work and millions of euros for a preference of 0.05% of the world's population, let alone the VG market? Probably not.

It's time to accept there are compromises to be made.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
What do you expect from Polish developers? Whole country is deeply religious, so this sort of thing I would really not expect. Besides this would have to be somewhat implemented to the story, to make it worthwhile and still it seems like....does any game ever done it, even?

At least they provide a "fluid answer"....

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't get the article to be honest. You can create a character however you want, in terms of looks. An Cyberpunk isn't about gender fluidity to my knowledge.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope they do add in more gender choices and options. Finally being able to be referred to as "they" in a game would be pretty fucking awesome.

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Gender /fluidity/ in a game like Cyberpunk which is gigantic in how the world reacts to you is probably a logistical nightmare.
Until the game comes out we don't know how or if your gender affects character interaction at all. If it doesn't, this would effectively be just a visual option for the character. That's not that much of a nightmare.

Perhaps pronouns would be harder depending on the script. Although just having a "they" neutral option would be sufficient.

Nov 2, 2017
Den Haag, Netherlands
Gender /fluidity/ in a game like Cyberpunk which is gigantic in how the world reacts to you is probably a logistical nightmare.

Couldn't you just go into a menu and change your pronouns on the fly and keeping character customisation open throughout the game?

"He's a talented hacker" one day, go to bed "she's the best we got", the next, go to bed "they're getting away!"

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
TBH if you've got a basic character generation capability I don't see broader gender support being that hard. I mean realistically how many options are there in terms of basic physical characteristics?

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
Until the game comes out we don't know how or if your gender affects character interaction at all. If it doesn't, this would effectively be just a visual option for the character. That's not that much of a nightmare.

Couldn't you just go into a menu and change your pronouns on the fly and keeping character customisation open throughout the game?

"He's a talented hacker" one day, go to bed "she's the best we got", the next, go to bed "they're getting away!"
Well if they can implement that more power to them, but it's disgusting how people are already calling them religious zealots for not doing it (see posts above).

Deleted member 41271

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 21, 2018
How or what would even be done to make this a thing?

If you have to ask this question, you're not thinking Cyberpunk enough.
How to? Gender is a slider. Reactions to characters are based on the slider. All this means is that if the range is male or female enough, the character gets a male/female response, and if it's more middling the character gets a third response (usually most likely neutral, sometimes, negative, sometimes unsure, sometimes curious, and something comradry-based). It's really not tough to do.

A good cyberpunk game should have this for a lot of things. Gender, race, augmentation level, VISIBLE augmentation level, all dependent on the characters outlook on these things.

I am actually really sad that we are STILL at a point where it is still considered odd to have NPCs do different reactions based on context. We're finetuning combat to the point of offering detailed killcams on the specific part of the brain the bullet hit, but dialogue's still treated like it was 1993, no development whatsoever required, it's a logistical nightmare onoes!

And yet in reality, such stuff is easier to implement than most combat options. By far. It's just more dialogue lines.

but it's disgusting how people

TBH, the main disgusting thing here is how disingenuous you are in your postings.
A gender slider (and many other sliders a CYBERPUNK(!) game should be having!) isn't hard. it's not a "logistical nightmare", and your handwringing over "portraying every aspect of humanity" is really absurd.

Cyberpunk is about what it means to be human, a person, how technology and politics and society shape you - literally, in the case of cyberware. A couple sliders here aren't much, they should be the minimum for the genre. Shadowrun Returns is looking to have more varied reactions to your PC than this game, and that's a shame :(

I am getting more and more the impression that CDPR, while not being religious zealots, are not actually into Cyberpunk for anything other than aesthetics. (See the woman-in-bathtub comments) Makes me second guess my interest in the game quite a bit.

Last edited:

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
If devs were to cater to every single human characteristic in RPGs they'll never stop working, ever.

Is it worth it to add months of work and millions of euros for a preference of 0.05% of the world's population, let alone the VG market? Probably not.

I take it representation doesn't matter to you whatsoever and the majority groups are all that need to be seen i.e. keep the status quo.

Even though representation and inclusiveness makes good business sense as you increase your customer reach. Hollywood is starting to figure this out, as well as certain publishers in the videogame industry.

Oct 27, 2017

This would actually be a perfect game for the themes of gender fluidity. It's a world where cybernetic enhancement changes what it means to be human, let alone male or female. Plus, I've got people on my Facebook wall into the queer punk scene, so that fits right in with the "punk" half of cyberpunk.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
This would actually be a perfect game for the themes of gender fluidity. It's a world where cybernetic enhancement changes what it means to be human, let alone male or female. Plus, I've got people on my Facebook wall into the queer punk scene, so that fits right in with the "punk" half of cyberpunk.
Yeah I'd be cool if they do it, but if they don't it's ok too.

Deleted member 8784

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have no idea how this would even be implemented.

I thought Gender fluidity was a way that an individual identifies themselves, completely separate from biological sex, which is what the character creator specifies. Am I wrong in this?

Perhaps a "preferred pronoun" setting? But then how would a character who didn't know the protagonist know how to reference them? I hope I'm not coming across as ignorant, but I've no idea how it could possibly work.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
How or what would even be done to make this a thing?
You think Patrick or any other journalist cares? Nobody thinks about the process of developing the game, they just want to see what they want to see.

It's funny how people are saying "just add more voicelines so NPC are saying 'they' instead of 'he' and 'she'". Yeah it's not like you need to record much more voicelines and test the game for a much longer period of time.

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
I feel like this would be easier in a Bethesda style game. Given how huge Cyberpunk seems to be, implementing this might not be feasible at this time.

I could see this being a post launch update though.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How would people in the game react to you if you are gender fluid?

If they refer to you as "they" then it just feels artificial because how would a random NPC know your gender.

If you pick gender fluid and people still call you by he/she pronouns then people might get offended.
Seems like too much work for something that so few people would actually use. I doubt it's something they would implement but maybe they'll surprise us.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
User permanently banned: dismissing gender fluid people, long history of prior infractions.
One fucking poster lol, and they throw no aspersions and make no false statements. Poland is a deeply conservative country.

You sound so reactionary to this. I wonder why...
I'll tell you why. Because CDPR is the only still pure high profile developer and gamers have become so damn entitled that they're ready to witch Hunt even them for not doing an insignificant thing that won't deermined whether the game is good or not and is probably much more hard to do than it's worth.

Like, you say it's just about switching pronouns automatically. That... Doesn't happen in real life. People WILL react to you changing your genre as you go along. And such, for the fluidity not being window dressing they'll have to implement literal thousands of different reactions to recurrent characters. And calling people "they" is not a thing.

As I said, if they do that, awesome, but if they decide it's not worth the hassle in a game that already offers a never before seen scope, it's totally acceptable and not a reason to call them "regressists" or whatever.

Nice bait tho. Happy pride month, fellow queer.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I have no idea how this would even be implemented.

I thought Gender fluidity was a way that an individual identifies themselves, completely separate from biological sex, which is what the character creator specifies. Am I wrong in this?

Perhaps a "preferred pronoun" setting? But then how would a character who didn't know the protagonist know how to reference them? I hope I'm not coming across as ignorant, but I've no idea how it could possibly work.

This is a pretty good point, I'm not sure how that would be easy to solve in a big open world rpg game with lots of variables.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this would be easier in a Bethesda style game. Given how huge Cyberpunk seems to be, implementing this might not be feasible at this time.

I could see this being a post launch update though.

Would be a strange post launch update, since it would be apart of the character creator. Seems like something you'd want handled at the beginning.

Deleted member 29354

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
What's gender fluidity? (Not native english speaker)
In progressive western cultures, it is the school of thought that allows for people to freely choose where they stand on a perceived spectrum of gender. For instance, a woman who may identify with some masculine traits may call herself a non-binary individual.

May 18, 2018

Saints Row 2 had a gender slider. If putting in a slider takes months of dev time....

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
As a cis man I wouldn't have inmediately though about gender fluidity in Cyberpunk. Thanks, as always, to Patrick for asking the questions that aren't always the obvious ones. Would be great!

BDubsLegend

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Another *social analysis* article asking one of the biggest games in the industry to make provisions for a fraction of the global audience. And I don't day that to make it seem like those people don't matter, but this is like the equivalent of asking for a gender fluid superhero in the next Avengers movie. This is the wrong place to start. How about building a community of games at a far smaller level where games don't have to be as many things to as many people.

Asking every AAA dev to put stuff in, or criticizing every popular game that doesn't serve everyone's needs is not how I think it should be done. Everyone is trying to be the next Anita, and it's clear her campaign effected change in the industry but I don't think her approach is going to work in every situation.

These things will become normalized when the artists want to create games reflecting these social issues not when they are disparaged and told to.

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
You think Patrick or any other journalist cares? Nobody thinks about the process of developing the game, they just want to see what they want to see.

It's funny how people are saying "just add more voicelines so NPC are saying 'they' instead of 'he' and 'she'". Yeah it's not like you need to record much more voicelines and test the game for a much longer period of time.

You just see what you want to see. It's funny, apparently the finest details of gun combat must be realistically coded, but god forbid a *slider* for reactions is implemented. Because that's totally soooo hard, lol.

Your kind of thinking is what is holding the genre as a whole back. And I don't even mean that on a social level - your bias doesn't even come into it. What I mean is on a gameplay level. The mere fact that you think *sliders* are too much is the very reason why companies don't bother ever putting any effort into dialogue, and why roleplaying games feel so stale, with so little actual reaction to who you play in them.

We're still dealing with dialogue like we did in 1990 CRPGs. No innovation, no effort. And gamers think *sliders* are too complicated. It's a joke.
With that kind of thinking, FPS games would play like Maze War to this day.

Asking every AAA dev to put stuff in, or criticizing every popular game that doesn't serve everyone's needs is not how I think it should be done.

Why not? Why can't people ask for what they want in games? It's weird, I don't see you do this for other things gamers keep demanding, such as, say, 60 FPS (which affects me way less than more character variety would). Seems this kind of response only happens with very specific topics.

Wonder why.

Nov 2, 2017
Den Haag, Netherlands
I'll tell you why. Because CDPR is the only still pure high profile developer and gamers have become so damn entitled that they're ready to witch Hunt even them for not doing an insignificant thing that won't deermined whether the game is good or not and is probably much more hard to do than it's worth..

What do you mean by 'pure'?

Like, you say it's just about switching pronouns automatically. That... Doesn't happen in real life. People WILL react to you changing your genre as you go along. And such, for the fluidity not being window dressingz they'll have to implement literal thousands of different reactions to reurrent characters.

In a world where everyone is interconnected and know about each other's profile instantly, it can be that simple. Nobody is asking them to write thousands of new dialogue lines for reactions to shifting pronouns.

As I said, if they do that, awesome, but if they decide it's not worth the hassle in a game that alrwady offers a never before seen scope, it's totally acceptable and not a reason to call them "regressists" or whatever.

Nobody is saying that. It's thematically appropriate, it's good for the game, the company, and the players that more representative RPGs are out in the mainstream. You're building up a strawman to knock down without engaging what Klepek is saying.

Casual

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would be cool I guess.

Can't imagine it happening in a game like Cyberpunk. Seems like a nightmare from a dialogue/VA standpoint.

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Would be a strange post launch update, since it would be apart of the character creator. Seems like something you'd want handled at the beginning.

I meant it more in the way that I'm sure the team is already feeling an incredible amount of crunch at the moment. The game has deadlines to meet and I'm not sure on how realistically the incorporation of gender fluidity can be done.

Post-launch would allow them to meet their deadlines while still listening to the community. It's win-win.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am getting more and more the impression that CDPR, while not being religious zealots, are not actually into Cyberpunk for anything other than aesthetics. (See the woman-in-bathtub comments) Makes me second guess my interest in the game quite a bit.

I'm sorry but this is reaching hard. That scene has more then just the female harvest indiduval in view, it his many other bodies both genders in plainview. Plus both genders will be present as openly as possible. Don't understand how, that ONE mission translates into "them using cyberpunk as an aesthetic". When it's apart of the 2020 world system.

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
These things will become normalized when the artists want to create games reflecting these social issues not when they are disparaged and told to.
I mean, the article's not being paticularly disparaging towards them, just requesting the feature if possible. Making it clear there is a demand for increased representation is an importnat first step towards artists choosing to make games regarding it.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
In progressive western cultures, it is the school of thought that allows for people to freely choose where they stand on a perceived spectrum of gender. For instance, a woman who may identify with some masculine traits may call herself a non-binary individual.

I'm actually confused, but thanks.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it would be pretty easy, actually. Provide a few different body types, some overtly masculine or feminine, some more androgynous. Allow a "male" or "female" (and maybe even "neutral") dialogue option. Flexibility in cosmetic outfits. And... yeah, you're pretty much done.

If you're implementing gender choice, there's really not much practical reason not to include it.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
wait
I take it representation doesn't matter to you whatsoever and the majority groups are all that need to be seen i.e. keep the status quo.

Even though representation and inclusiveness makes good business sense as you increase your customer reach. Hollywood is starting to figure this out, as well as certain publishers in the videogame industry.
there's a limit to how much business sense it makes though..and said limit is how many people do you cater to by changing vs how many people you lose by changing.
considering how many people are in this world with a different ethnicity than "caucasian",it's definitely a market worth the effort...but the return for catering to the probably small percentage of people tha consider themselves gender fluid it's nowhere near as big.
I'm actually confused, but thanks.
basically, gender is not decided by your genitals but by how you see yourself..with the extreme fluctuating between the two genders at will

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
We're still dealing with dialogue like we did in 1990 CRPGs. No innovation, no effort. And gamers think *sliders* are too complicated. It's a joke.
If you want a slider to work like a gender option works in Far Cry 5, where nobody cares about who you chose, you never see your character, and NPC almost never pronounce "he" and "she" because recording different voicelines costs too much in a big game, then okay. But I highly doubt that CDPR are doing it like this, otherwise they would've create a character like Geralt.

CDPR are not as rich as EA for example, they can't afford a game with gigantic budget. If you want an option like this Anthem is a much better choice than this.

Status
Not open for further replies.