• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
The former Waypoint thread was never super active, but there was some good discussion in there and I do follow basically everything they do over there, so I figured we could still use a spot to chat about features and articles.

Lets try to be mindful of our tone though? As I'm sure a lot of us heard on the recent podcast, some of the shit around how "boring Danielle is" does get back to them, and honestly we can make better comments then that.

Also video games are good

Credit to Catvoca for what's below:
s62uuHA.jpg

-Austin Walker, why Waypoint is now Vice games.

What's good internet? Waypoint is Vice's gaming website that attempts to delve into all aspects surrounding videogame culture. They do this through in depth articles, twice weekly podcasts, streams and even a TV show. The site tackles difficult, often political, topics with a critical eye and a great sense of humour, making it one of the most thoughtful and entertaining places to get your videogames coverage.

Links:
waypoint-high-final.png

Waypoint Home Page - Read some dope articles and keep up with everything put on the site.

Twitter - Both the worst and the greatest twitter account ever made.

Forums- Waypoint have a great community of folks over on their official forums, it's well worth checking them out and becoming a part of that community.

Twitch / YouTube - Featuring weekly streams of games new and old as well as edited content like Waypoint's guide to games and live podcasts. You can also catch their TV show, Waypoint Presents, on Disney XD.

Podcasts - Waypoint does a podcast twice a week called Waypoint Radio. Monday's show is more news focused while Friday's delves deep into a chosen topic. It's sometimes streamed live on twitch but otherwise you can catch it on the podcast app of your choosing. They also do a great series called Waypoint 101 which is essentially a videogame book club where they all play an old game like Wolfenstein:The New Order or Binary Domain and discuss it.

Staff Links:
CwG0T-UWcAAsbO_.jpg

1497727318058-Screen-Shot-2017-06-17-at-32136-PM.png

Austin Walker - Editor in Chief
Danielle Riendeau - Managing Editor
Danika Harrod - Social Editor
Patrick Klepek - Senior Reporter
Rob Zacny - Senior Editor
Joel Fowler - Publisher

IMPORTANT NOTE
53563998e23571a95133511e55209de1678340fa.gif

While this thread is meant to be a place for open discussion, I ask that we keep everything in here civil and all criticism constructive. So much of Waypoint is about inclusivity, empathy and understanding, so please consider this before you post your epic dunk on a staff member. We had some issues in the past, let's do better this time.

Visit Digitalpyramids.com, Bazinga.zone, Basionfucks.com or New.Donk.City for more info.

Last edited by a moderator:

sprinkles

Oct 25, 2017
I really came around on Waypoint over the last few weeks. I cannot describe exactly what clicked for me (maybe their PUBG streams), but I added their Podcasts to my commute and lunch breaks.

It cannot be Patrick, I never liked him (just kidding, they talked about reading and despairing about the GB threads on their latest podcast). Maybe it is Rob and his calm demeanor. Or I missed Austin's laugh which always cheers me up even on days when I feel down.

Video games are good, that must be it.

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly their content has been fantastic. That South Park article Patrick wrote up was great. I have to play the game myself to really get a feel for it but it was nice to hear somebody dive deep and really think what a games humor meant compared to where he was as a person in 2017.

Oct 25, 2017
can't believe people hated on danielle. She's easily the most inspirational person in game journalism industry imo. Like, her stories just motivates me to go out and run lol.

OP
OP
Mezentine

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Listening to more 3MA today continues to just affirm for me that Rob is an excellent podcast host though. He's one of the smartest and most articulate guys working in games right now and its so weird it took so long for somewhere like Waypoint to pick him up

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I should really check out Boen's EP pale machine at some point

Also I need to get back to Wolfenstein. I just .... wait.... I guess we dont have Spoiler tags yet? Thatts going to be awkward.

edit.

I found the spoiler fuction. Its hidden in the "Insert" button.

Anyway I just
got back from the moon.
That game sure does go places... those diary audio logs....

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone else watch their documentary series on Disney XD? (I know, but outside of bleeping swears, they seemed to air it uncut. The first episode had a guy talking about a heart procedure he had and how it was like the doctor was fingering his heart)

I really enjoyed it. The episode about LARPers was the first time I'd seen that community represented with any sort of compassion. They mostly just get dunked on.

patriciodcj

Oct 25, 2017
Bäregrabe
I have enjoyed every episode of Waypoint Radio, but the episode with Manveer Heir was their best yet! I hope they invite more great guests like him.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. I need PUBG streams again
2. Rob is an underrated podcast contributor

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone else watch their documentary series on Disney XD? (I know, but outside of bleeping swears, they seemed to air it uncut. The first episode had a guy talking about a heart procedure he had and how it was like the doctor was fingering his heart)

I really enjoyed it. The episode about LARPers was the first time I'd seen that community represented with any sort of compassion. They mostly just get dunked on.

I feel bad because I watched the first 3 or 4 and then fell off of it. It was hard to remember to watch every Wednesday since I have no DVR. Once it inevitably goes online somewhere I'd be up for watching the rest, since I really enjoyed what I saw.

(Also, to be clear it was even more ridiculous than that. The phrase said was "fistfucking" and they only censored "fuck", and in a way that did not make it clear at all that they'd censored anything to begin with.)

chogidogs

Oct 25, 2017
Did they ever talk about the GAF fiasco on the podcast? The one I listened to they just talked about atmospheric games the whole time.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see a Waypoint thread here. Place consistently has great content. Everyone is super rad.

Would be very interested in hearing their podcast takes on everything that went down this weekend.

Dangle

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, after Monday's podcast I'm very open to a change in tone for this new thread going forward. Love the podcast and the crew.

I need some conclusion on their Wolfenstein: TNO discussions, though!!!

Flambe

Faster than Light
Oct 25, 2017
Waypoint is such a wonderful contribution to gaming. While I love me some GB hijinks, it's Waypoint I go to for thought-provoking and real perspective on issues. Just like to say awesome job Austin and rest of the crew =)

Also like to give a shoutout to the Waypoint forum for hosting some of us during the transition. <3

Oct 25, 2017
can't believe people hated on danielle. She's easily the most inspirational person in game journalism industry imo. Like, her stories just motivates me to go out and run lol.

Totally, at first I didn't think I was following the right woman on twitter because her first five or so tweets I saw were about being a paramedic, and then the next five were about MMA.

(Also, to be clear it was even more ridiculous than that. The phrase said was "fistfucking" and they only censored "fuck", and in a way that did not make it clear at all that they'd censored anything to begin with.)

Oh, that's right. All I know is that I was shocked no one complained about it being on a Disney channel. That and all of the trans people represented throughout must have been firsts for a Disney Network. You should definitely check out the others when you get the chance.

Fatalflame

Oct 25, 2017
Just checking in to keep that Waypoint love going. Love the Podcast and the personalities. Been a lurker for far too long at the other place and just wanted to hop in and provide some positive vibes especially after listening to the last Waypoint Radio!

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to say thanks to Waypoint and their staff for helping with this migration, without them a lot of people probably wouldn't have made it in.

Damn good podcast on Monday too.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
I said it in the gaming podcast thread, but I wanted to say it again. That episode with Manveer Heir shook me up and got me excited for what he's working on next! Suuuuch a good, insightful episode. Waypoint were already my #1, but they somehow skyrocketed even further with that.

blakdeth

Oct 25, 2017
Waypoint is the best. I love the format, the crew members, and the topical discussions. Just wanted to share the love because I know they sometimes check these threads.

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
ahhh good to be back

I need to catch up on the podcasts, haven't listened for several days. Apparently I missed some good stuff.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been following them since they started up. How have things been going?

Are the offhanded comments I've heard about them being a bunch of horny boys and girls true? Not that I'm judging, it's just a unique criticism for a major gaming outlet, haha.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Hi.

As someone who said shitty things about Danielle in the last thread, I just want to apologise. Waypoint is doing a great job and I want more of everyone in the crew.

blakdeth

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been following them since they started up. How have things been going?

Are the offhanded comments I've heard about them being a bunch of horny boys and girls true? Not that I'm judging, it's just a unique criticism for a major gaming outlet, haha.

Lol, I haven't heard that one. I think the podcast is great. They're working on integrating each of the crew more fully, and they're experimenting with a format that allows for "whatcha playing" on Mondays and topical discussions on Fridays.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, I haven't heard that one. I think the podcast is great. They're working on integrating each of the crew more fully, and they're experimenting with a format that allows for "whatcha playing" on Mondays and topical discussions on Fridays.
I need to check out the podcast again. Last time I listened was super early and they were very clearly finding their feet still.

Danielle is on it, right? Every time I've heard her guest on podcasts, I've thought she was great.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Waypoint got me through some rough times earlier this year. Props to them for that. It's a really fun podcast.

I think they should do an Anime podcast where patrick has to watch the first episode of an anime and then discuss it with the rest of the team.

Oct 24, 2017
Waypoint got me through some rough times earlier this year. Props to them for that. It's a really fun podcast.

I think they should do an Anime podcast where patrick has to watch the first episode of an anime and then discuss it with the rest of the team.
I think Patrick should have to watch all of JoJo and then give weekly reviews when Vento Aureo starts.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for todays podcast. I love an influx of big releases. Feels like christmas.