• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I have to say, I had thought that the initial discourse upon release was going to be about how the show sexualizes children, not about music licensing issues and translations changes.
There is actually a ton to unpack here for people who are viewing this just as a new show on netflix, and not as a rerelease of an anime they have heard about or loved for years- are they going to care that they changed the song for the credits (that they didn't even know existed?)? Are they going to care that the next episode previews are gone, because the next episode will have already started to autoplay unless you use the remote manually each episode?
This is me and I don't.

Sabas

Oct 25, 2017
Most people aren't going to notice those changes or particularly care because it's just what netflix does at this point. They've streamlined the process to let you binge as much as you want and not think too hard about doing it.

I think people should be upset about their translation choices, failure to license music, not hire the original dub voice actors (I still watch it with JP voices though). But most of the people watching it on netflix aren't going to have that point of reference because the US releases have been out of print and anime licensing in general is a pain in the ass that only one company gets the rights instead of having multiple versions out there

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
And the simple fact is, there are a ton of people that are going to check this out BECAUSE its on the service they already have (netflix), who would never subscribe to something like Crunchyroll, Funimation, VRV, etc.

psyer

Oct 27, 2017
I think it is similar in the case of translation issues as Persona 5, where the translation is very stiff and translated too literally.

Sadly more and more localization is like this especially for anime and some video games

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I can't actually remember if I listened to 1UP Yours when Patrick was on. I vaguely remember him but I'm not sure if he was a regular or not, I think the main cast when I listened every week was Garnett, John, Shane and Luke. Think Patrick had gone by the time I was properly in to all of 1Up's output.

I do remember regularly reading him and Totilo's stuff on MTV's Multiplayer Blog though.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
I think it is similar in the case of translation issues as Persona 5, where the translation is very stiff and translated too literally.

Sadly more and more localization is like this especially for anime and some video games
Based on what I've seen so far, that's certainly not the case here, especially compared to the original clunker of a translation. Even the part everyone is criticizing for being too literal takes some pretty big departures from the original script which are meant to add more personality/grandeur to the writing.

Incandenza

Oct 25, 2017
I need to just get off the internet and watch Eva because I can already feel the Undertale Effect (tm) starting to kick in and if I wait too long I'll develop a pavlovian revulsion to any mention of it

Deleted member 38088

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I need to just get off the internet and watch Eva because I can already feel the Undertale Effect (tm) starting to kick in and if I wait too long I'll develop a pavlovian revulsion to any mention of it
I felt the same way, so I decided to listen to the podcast about the first two episodes, which caused me to want to see some of the scenes/shots talked about. I'm on episode 5 now, and I'm enjoying the show so far.

Also hello everyone. This is my first time posting here.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I felt the same way, so I decided to listen to the podcast about the first two episodes, which caused me to want to see some of the scenes/shots talked about. I'm on episode 5 now, and I'm enjoying the show so far.

Also hello everyone. This is my first time posting here.
Anyone with a Dragonfall avatar will always be welcome!

I'll be going into Eva almost completely blind, outside of some quotes that have entered the public consciousness ("Congratulations!" etc.). I'm looking forward to the Waypoint pods on it and hope they don't get into too much trouble for it.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm still catching up on the E3 Waypoint pods, currently on the Day 1 podcast.

Was there a missed edit somewhere? Around 2:50:50 they're talking about Cyberpunk and Keanu Reeves' character, and then suddenly "WE'RE BACCKKKKK" and they're talking about Avengers instead. No downtime or anything.

[edit] and at 2:55:30 they're back on track. Oh well, I know they had some tech issues.

Deleted member 38088

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Anyone with a Dragonfall avatar will always be welcome!
Thank you ^_^

Was there a missed edit somewhere? Around 2:50:50 they're talking about Cyberpunk and Keanu Reeves' character, and then suddenly "WE'RE BACCKKKKK" and they're talking about Avengers instead. No downtime or anything.

[edit] and at 2:55:30 they're back on track. Oh well, I know they had some tech issues.
Yeah, they bounced between different streaming platforms and had a bunch of tech issues , but the later days get better and had less problems. Overall the coverage has been fun imo.

GlassEmpires

Dec 10, 2018
i was never able to get into ska, it wasn't even on my radar as a musical genre. i fell into post-hardcore in high school instead

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
the thing about ska is that theres always some weird undercurrent of 'god things are real bad but we're gonna fuckin party like the brass band is swinging' in it to me

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

So if this was the sudden jump to them talking about old Marvel games, I also found that really jarring. I checked the YouTube version after, and IIRC what happened was that when they came back from fixing issues, they didn't start the audio recording for the podcast immediately. So some of that conversation was only on the stream; you can watch it for a slightly more coherent connection, haha.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
The clean Wehtmacht myth was something I only realized after reading that article. It's really enlightening about how the media treats the German army, outside of a few exceptions.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Listening to Patrick Klepek and the guys talk about deck building / drafting on #241 makes me think they should check out Auto Chess or Underlords or any of the other 17 variants on that formula that just came out.

They are all about spontaneous "deck" building, with the tweak that it's PvP and on a tight time limit.

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017
Listening to Patrick Klepek and the guys talk about deck building / drafting on #241 makes me think they should check out Auto Chess or Underlords or any of the other 17 variants on that formula that just came out.

They are all about spontaneous "deck" building, with the tweak that it's PvP and on a tight time limit.
Rob did for an episode of Three Moves Ahead a couple of months ago. I can't remember their individual impressions, but it was this podcast episode that made me understand that the genre is a really interesting deck building game after not knowing what it was and being intimidated by it.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Rob did for an episode of Three Moves Ahead a couple of months ago. I can't remember their individual impressions, but it was this podcast episode that made me understand that the genre is a really interesting deck building game after not knowing what it was and being intimidated by it.
Oh, neat, I'll check that out.

Now I'm sad Rob wasn't on 241, that would have been an interesting convo.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Making slow progress through the E3 podcasts at the moment and I think they really killed it this year. It was certainly a shame to see a smaller crew but I think the discussions were stronger than they were previously, largely due to the games that they discussed.

Also Austin has really sold me on that new Star Wars game despite having 0 interest prior.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Making slow progress through the E3 podcasts at the moment and I think they really killed it this year. It was certainly a shame to see a smaller crew but I think the discussions were stronger than they were previously, largely due to the games that they discussed.

Also Austin has really sold me on that new Star Wars game despite having 0 interest prior.
The gap between what they showed in the trailer and what everyone saw with their hands-on time is kind of insane. Brad at GB was also super high on it. It sounds like it's basically a Metroid/Dark Souls-ish Star Wars game? Sold.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
The gap between what they showed in the trailer and what everyone saw with their hands-on time is kind of insane. Brad at GB was also super high on it. It sounds like it's basically a Metroid/Dark Souls-ish Star Wars game? Sold.
Yeah the trailer they showed pitched an Uncharted style game with no real indication of any Souls of Metroid elements, it looked fine but a little bland. I don't necessarily think the actual game sounds like a bold new idea, but it certainly sounds more interesting and ambitious than what the trailer was selling and it's a good concept for a Star Wars game.

I'm still working through GB's podcasts as well so I'm looking forward to hearing Brad's thoughts at some point.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Brad's thoughts are just on the Beastcast from that week for a few minutes, fwiw. They saved other stuff for the editor check-in that night.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
When people wanted Star Wars 1313 to come back, they didn't mean just for a trailer of a different game.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Brad's thoughts are just on the Beastcast from that week for a few minutes, fwiw. They saved other stuff for the editor check-in that night.
Good shout, I'll download that now before I forget.
When people wanted Star Wars 1313 to come back, they didn't mean just for a trailer of a different game.
It took me a while to remember what 1313 even was. I feel like my brain can only retain one cancelled Star Wars game so I kept thinking 1313 was the other EA one with the desert house.

Salarians

Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
I'm listening to this just with what I've absorbed of Revolutionary Girl Utena through osmosis, and I want to cry.

I should watch the anime.
I saw a handful of dvds worth (and the movie) when I was too young to truly appreciate it but I still have a deep fondness for it
really, really need to get around to finally watching the whole thing

if only I had some sort of watch 'n talk podcast to motivate me to do it...

Salarians

Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
irrc Austin said this pod would be the first seven episodes (first two from the old pod and the next five being new)?
I just need to watch one more episode if that's the case

five episodes a pod is good, especially since each episode is like twenty minutes